Bobby Hurley named Head Coach at Buffalo

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Bobby Hurley named Head Coach at Buffalo

Unread post by rambone 78 »

RiFan, Dan is obviously farther along in the coaching development line than Bobby. Who will end up being the better coach, who knows, but I'll take what we've got for sure.

If given the choice, I'd rather have the guy who people "in the know" like, than the guy who right now just has the name recognition. That's not a jab at Bobby either, he just doesn't have head coach experience yet.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

To me the question is what do we need the most from the to be named new coach-- X and O's guy, offensive guy, defensive genius, game bench coach etc. ????? do we need a top notch recruiter or one of the mentioned previous attributes more?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will be rooting for the Bisons in the MAC
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I think Dan Hurley has name recognition because of his last name.

This isn't Jim Baron who no kids had probably heard of when he went to recruit.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The sad thing about when URI hired Baron, the people "in the know" were all screaming, don't do it!

Right Rod?

I would have been OK with it in the end, if Baron hadn't been made CFL by Carothers. JB did get Rhody back to respectability his first few years, but that's when it should have ended.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rambone 78 wrote:The sad thing about when URI hired Baron, the people "in the know" were all screaming, don't do it!

Right Rod?

I would have been OK with it in the end, if Baron hadn't been made CFL by Carothers. JB did get Rhody back to respectability his first few years, but that's when it should have ended.
The problem is when would have been an appropriate time to fire Baron?

I think that after that loss to UMass at home it should have been over.

You couldn't fire him after the 2004-2005 season because he had brought the program back to respectability and had a ton of injuries. Then they seemed to improve in 2005-2006, in 2006-2007 they made the finals of the A-10 title game. 2008-2009 was the epic meltdown and I could have lived with firing him but they were ranked and I guess you could chalk it up to a bad end to a once promising season. But then to go and lose to a bad UMass team at home with a possible NCAA berth on the line the next season, that should have been the last straw. Then the year after he does the exact same thing again, losing at UMass with a possible berth on the line! The NIT run was fun but it was clear that the school was going nowhere and needed to move in another direction.

In any case it all worked out. URI got Hurley. Who knows who they'd have gotten had they fired Baron a year or two earlier.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

This from Dan on the assistant opening:
"Asked where he'll turn to fill the hole on his staff, Hurley said his phone has been "buzzing off the hook," with candidates wishing to come to Kingston. "It's always hard to replace a good coach but I think with the four kids we have sitting out, the two recruits we're really happy about and the veterans who've bought in to where we're going, I can afford to take some time and evaluate people for that spot."
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Love that quote Rod. That is what I want to hear!!!!
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote:More competition for Dan on the recruiting trail, though. They must have similar sources.
I imagine this is true, but it's also hard to imagine that a recruit getting offers from URI and Buffalo would see them as all that similar of opportunities.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

scine20 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:The sad thing about when URI hired Baron, the people "in the know" were all screaming, don't do it!

Right Rod?

You couldn't fire him after the 2004-2005 season because he had brought the program back to respectability and had a ton of injuries. Then they seemed to improve in 2005-2006, in 2006-2007 they made the finals of the A-10 title game. 2008-2009 was the epic meltdown and I could have lived with firing him but they were ranked and I guess you could chalk it up to a bad end to a once promising season. But then to go and lose to a bad UMass team at home with a possible NCAA berth on the line the next season, that should have been the last straw. Then the year after he does the exact same thing again, losing at UMass with a possible berth on the line! The NIT run was fun but it was clear that the school was going nowhere and needed to move in another direction.

In any case it all worked out. URI got Hurley. Who knows who they'd have gotten had they fired Baron a year or two earlier.
You're forgetting the cost here. Performance on the court isn't the only reason why ADs decide to pull the trigger. In Baron's case, URI waited until he had two years left on his deal. They don't have the cash to pay two basketball coaches simultaneously for five or six seasons.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

rodfromcranston wrote:This from Dan on the assistant opening:
"Asked where he'll turn to fill the hole on his staff, Hurley said his phone has been "buzzing off the hook," with candidates wishing to come to Kingston. "It's always hard to replace a good coach but I think with the four kids we have sitting out, the two recruits we're really happy about and the veterans who've bought in to where we're going, I can afford to take some time and evaluate people for that spot."
I wouldn't put a downpayment on a new house if I'm Tirone.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think it's a good sign that other coaches want to work for Hurley.
Wonder if we get a veteran former head coach type, like
Calhoun did with Blaney?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

3wisemen wrote:
scine20 wrote:

Right Rod?

You're forgetting the cost here. Performance on the court isn't the only reason why ADs decide to pull the trigger. In Baron's case, URI waited until he had two years left on his deal. They don't have the cash to pay two basketball coaches simultaneously for five or six seasons.
Agreed.

Rambone was stating that Baron should have been fired at a much earlier time and I was just saying that there was never a reason to fire him until fairly recently.

I think until the meltdown in the 2007-2008 season most thought that he was doing a good job.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Iggy, is this because Dan didn't simply promote Tirone into a full assistant role upon Bobby's exit? I really don't think Dan would want to lose Tirone, as the DBO job when done at a high level provides a huge benefit to the program.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LOVE THIS QUOTE!!!!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Iggy, is this because Dan didn't simply promote Tirone into a full assistant role upon Bobby's exit? I really don't think Dan would want to lose Tirone, as the DBO job when done at a high level provides a huge benefit to the program.
If Tirone was going to get it, I think it would happen pretty quickly. That Dan is going to take his time, leads me to believe that he's looking for someone with more experience.
A question I can't answer: would Dan be comfortable with Preston or Carr in the number 2 seat, or is he looking to fill that from outside?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:I think it's a good sign that other coaches want to work for Hurley.
Wonder if we get a veteran former head coach type, like
Calhoun did with Blaney?
RhodyHoops ‏@RhodyHoops 26 Mar

Would @TomPenders be interested in a George Blaney type role at URI? #gorhody
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

From what I've seen in his recruiting, Dan is the type to
sit back and see what the options are, before diving in.
Carr and Murphy are good assistants. We don't know what Hurley has in mind for a replacement.
He'll see who comes forward and figure it from there.
I think Penders' health issues and the fact that he enjoys retirement
preclude him from coming on board.
Where does Al live?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Wild speculation list:
Tom Penders
George Blaney
Al Skinner
Bonzie Colson
Bob Hurley
ARD
Mo Cassera
Glen Miller
Chris Herren
TJ Sorrentine
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like that list. Who knows?
Can't see Bob Sr.
I love the idea of Bonzie for a couple of reasons.
He could teach bigs. He's part of a great era at URI.
His son is a fascinating recruit.
He's like a Charles Barkley, 6'6", 230lb. wide body with a 7' wingspan.
Does a bit of everything and is a really good passer.
Coach's sons usually have a good basketball IQ.
A package Colson deal would be a positive in several areas.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would love to see ARD back at Rhody. I know he would jump at the chance. Not sure of the chances though. DH has a big network so this hire is anyone's guess.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Chris herren? Is that serious?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to see someone with recruiting ties in another area. We have NJ/NY and Michigan covered. What's the latest hotbed for high school recruits, maybe somewhere down south?
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

The latest hotbed is right here in New England. Look at the top 100 for next year. It's covered with prep talent right in the area.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You guys are all aware that Kevin Tirone is going to get promoted from DBO, right? I am shocked that there is a discussion about who is going to replace Bobby on the staff. The only way Tirone isn't a coach on the URI staff next year is if he is a coach on the Buffalo staff.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, Dan's comments would lead us to believe that's not a done deal.

It very well may be that Dan does promote Tirone. Just doesn't look like it right now.

Tirone is a very good DBO. He's not a coach. Does he have any coaching experience?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Kevin was an assistant coach at NJIT, a fairly new D1 program that had a very rough start (to say the least) but has become somewhat respectable as a low D1 program.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Well, Dan's comments would lead us to believe that's not a done deal.

It very well may be that Dan does promote Tirone. Just doesn't look like it right now.

Tirone is a very good DBO. He's not a coach. Does he have any coaching experience?
How many 3rd assistants are you going to get with a ton of experience, and why would anyone with experience want/need to be a 3rd assistant? I would MUCH rather give a guy with potential a shot than bring in some down-and-out 60 year old guy.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:You guys are all aware that Kevin Tirone is going to get promoted from DBO, right? I am shocked that there is a discussion about who is going to replace Bobby on the staff. The only way Tirone isn't a coach on the URI staff next year is if he is a coach on the Buffalo staff.
So he's going to get promoted at URI unless he doesn't?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well, let me walk that back a little, Iggy. My thinking is that (1) why would Hurley bring Tirone here if he didn't like him, and (2) I felt he would have hired Tirone as the 3rd assistant last year had he not had a full boat of qualified guys who made sense. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. Tirone makes the most sense to me.

Also, and I know you know this, my point was that Bobby might want to take someone with him that he's worked with before and I don't see Carr going with him.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Dan likes Tirone a lot but he's never played college basketball and he's getting phone calls from people with impressive resumes and he's thinking.....
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Is Dan going to move Jim and Preston up, or is he going to keep them there, and hire a 1st assistant?

If it's the former, then Tirone is a great choice. If it's the latter, then it will be someone from outside.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP, I doubt you're right on this one.
If Hurley was going to promote Tirone, he would have.
Read his statement. Pretty clear that he's happy with
lots of people already contacting him.
He already has an up and comer in Murphy.
I saw what happened to Harrick's staff when he went from the older ex-coach, Larry Farmer,
and the stoic Tom Penders Jr. and next year had Harrick Jr. and Tommy Garrick.
There were two less adults in the mix, and two guys who liked to horse around after practice,
more than anything else.
Of course, to some, it's a crime to be over 50 years old.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, maybe you guys are right. I guess I kind of assumed that Tirone would be promoted and we'd fill from within, but maybe he would like a veteran basketball mind to be his consiglieri and not a man-on-the-way-up. If that is the direction he goes it would really open up a world of possibilities that I hadn't considered.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where is Tyson Wheeler in this discussion?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan needs to replace Bobby's expertise and maybe add another dimension to the staff. Might be the only way to do it, with experience from the outside. I'm sure he'll make a good choice.

Can only help, with all the new players coming on board next year. Depending on who he brings in, that person might have some connections recruiting wise also, and help Dan land what he needs going forward. Maybe even for next year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As much as we all love Tyson and ARD, I don't think Dan is going to have a URI Alumni Association for his staff.

He's going to hire who he wants to, and thinks is the best fit for the program.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone, I've jumped on you for the double posts before, but in this case - right on. Two good posts in a row, man.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

rambone 78 wrote:Is Dan going to move Jim and Preston up, or is he going to keep them there, and hire a 1st assistant?

If it's the former, then Tirone is a great choice. If it's the latter, then it will be someone from outside.
I get the feeling it's the latter based on Dan's comments. Would love to see Preston move up, especially if Preston wants to be a HC someday (which it seems like he does) but might not be the right time for it. He started off as a DBO for BC under Al, IIRC.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH will make the right hire, I am sure of it
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI has hiring practices that must be adhered to.
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Remember it took quite a while to name Preston as one of the coaches.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's because he didn't know Preston and took the
time to see if he was compatable with the Hurleys.
I'm assuming many of those applying will be people he
is familiar with.
In talking with Dan, one of the things that you come away with is,
at St. Benedicts, he had a large amount of contact with hundreds of coaches and
assistant coaches from all over the country.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

One name I heard was Rob Lanier, who might be worried about job security in Texas. He coached with Dan at Rutgers. But I just looked up his Texas salary and its 275000, so I think that rules him out. Anyone know what Bobby was making?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, I think it was 150K.

If true, Dan needs to arm twist Dooley into a raise for the position to around 200K. That would attract some serious candidates, I would think.

However, if that is raised, then Jim and Preston need a bump up from their approx. 100K.

It's all got to go up soon anyway, as long as they start winning.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

There may need to be some actual winning before these conversations happen, even with the vast confidence they have in Dan and his staff.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I doubt Dan Hurley is so desperate that he's going
to start twisting arms for big raises.
Shaka Smart can do that, because he's won.
When Hurley starts winning, then he can have
that kind of leverage.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, that's what I meant. They can't give him a raise before they start winning.

Might depend on how much winning they do next year, whether or not they adjust his contract.

An NIT berth, I doubt there will be any raise.

An NCAA berth, one and done, slight possibility.

An NCAA berth, with Sweet 16 or better, you betcha.

I might be stretching things a bit for next season with that last line, but the year after, I can see it.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Iggy1979 wrote:Dan likes Tirone a lot but he's never played college basketball and he's getting phone calls from people with impressive resumes and he's thinking.....
I'm pretty sure Jim Carr never played in college either, but I might be wrong about that.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Now public