'20 DC SG - Ishmael Leggett (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '20 DC SG - Ishmael Leggett (Offer)

Unread post by ramster »

Any inkling as to when he might make his decision DC_Rams?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Didn’t really post it to see if anyone is worried or not. This is a recruit they clearly have interest in, and it’s often helpful in assessment of a player to see who else is involved.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Any inkling as to when he might make his decision DC_Rams?
The fall.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Didn’t really post it to see if anyone is worried or not. This is a recruit they clearly have interest in, and it’s often helpful in assessment of a player to see who else is involved.
I wasn’t directing that response at you, it was more to say, I’m still confident that we can get him with that caliber of offers coming in.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Nice that he's playing well, but afraid he's going to blow up.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Nice that he's playing well, but afraid he's going to blow up.
I think he's blowing up now, right before our eyes. By the end of summer his offer list is probably going to look a lot different then it does right now. It might be tough for us to hang in there.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

In that article he mentions that in his visit here we set the bar high.

Let's hope no other visit jumps over that bar!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent article CamsRams
This weekend Leggett scored 20 points vs Gonzaga with St Joseph’s HC Billy Lange watching
reckless jake
ARD

"...10 minutes down the road, there's a beach..."

C'mon in Ish, the water's fine!

#GoRhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

First recruit I can remember mentioning the beach.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago First recruit I can remember mentioning the beach.
And what a great time of year to showcase the beach as well. Good job by the staff to illustrate the beauty of South County, Newport, etc. Recruits always come away from the visits impressed with the feeling of family.
reckless jake
ARD

His Mom is pretty active on Twitter. She's obviously involved in his recruiting and seems to be a big basketball fan in general. She follows DMV recruiting pretty close too. You can follow her at
@Ish2020

I bet she reads this forum.
Last edited by reckless jake 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
And what a great time of year to showcase the beach as well. Good job by the staff to illustrate the beauty of South County, Newport, etc. Recruits always come away from the visits impressed with the feeling of family.
Didn't it rain on his visit? Maybe they showed him pictures!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
I think that was Devale Johnson's visit when it rained.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago

I think that was Devale Johnson's visit when it rained.
Like for a wedding, rain is good!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ok, Alanis
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody fans in Philly go see Ish.
Sutton on hand to watch.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Wouldn’t worry about the SJU visit. Just happened because he was already in Philly.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

ISHMAEL LEGGETT | TEAM DURANT (MD)
Record: 9-4
Class: 2020
Position: Guard
Height: 6-foot-2
High School: St. John's College (DC)
Regular Season Stats: 16.2 PPG, 49.3 FG%, 76.7 FT% (69-90), 46.7 3PT% (7-15), 4.2 RPG, 2.7 APG, .9 TOPG, 1.2 SPG, .2 BPG
https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/1032423
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ish makes All EYBL Breakout Team. 10 players on the identified
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
That's what we were afraid of. Is that his first P5?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sighs. Yes.

Spells trouble. Let’s see how much of a priority they make him.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There will probably be more P5 offers to come as he blows up.

I kind of knew that if he didn't commit to us right after his visit, this would happen.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Sighs. Yes.

Here we go with another Anthony Walker situation. Highly unlikely we get him now
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Sighs. Yes.

Here we go with another Anthony Walker situation. Highly unlikely we get him now
I think this is a bit of an overreaction at this point. Like everyone else, Illinois makes many offers and Ish could very likely not be a priority like he is at URI.

Although playing in a P-5 might be more desirable than the A-10, there are many other factors in making a decision, including playing time. I wouldn't get discouraged quite yet.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I wonder what is the "Goldilocks Zone" of P5 interest for this board to be satisfied.

If a recruit doesn't have any P5 offers, we worry that he's not good enough and some of us would be disappointed that we couldn't do better.

But, as soon as those P5 offers start to roll in, we immediately think that Cox & Co. are recruiting above their weight and we don't have a shot.

Seems to be a pretty small middle ground.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Sighs. Yes.

Next 3 days Leggett’s Team Durant (9-4) has 5 games at Peach Jam in their new Pool. Top 2 teams from each of the 4 Pools play on Saturday with the Championship Game on Sunday
Wednesday 8pm vs Alabama Fusion (9-4)
Thursday 10:30am vs PSA Cardinals (10-3)
Thursday 9pm vs Texas Titans (12-1)
Friday 10:30am vs Houston Hoops (8-5)
Friday 7:30pm vs Seattle Rotary (7-6)

Leggett and his teammates will be on the big stage with College Coaches in attendance
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is an in depth preview of Pool A including the game schedule and key matchups.

CONTENDERS:
The PSA Cardinals are entering their first Peach Jam without Cole Anthony in three years, and they'll be riding on the veteran leadership of AJ Hoggard and Richie Springs. Top-to-bottom, there aren't many rotations that are as deep and talented as head coach Munch Williams' bunch, and 5-star sophomore AJ Griffin is set to return after missing the final session for USA Basketball. Springs, Franck Kepnang, and Josh Gray form a physically-imposing frontline, and their productivity might be the difference-maker in advancing to bracket play.
Team Durant is the hottest team entering Peach Jam, fresh off a 5-0 season-closing performance in Dallas. Earl Timberlake, Ishmael Leggett, Ace Baldwin, and Darius Maddox are a deep, talented backcourt that should keep Durant competitive in every game. Their lack of size will undoubtedly be a setback, and they will need big man Caleb Dorsey, Paul Smith, and Tegra Izay to be at their best.

Key Match up Identified:

Team Durant vs. Houston Hoops

Earl Timberlake (2020 ESPN No. 38) vs. Langston Love (2021 ESPN No. 21)
Ishmael Leggett (2020 247 No. 231) vs. Tramon Mark (2020 ESPN No. 67)

Tramon has already committed to University of Houston

https://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/show/1033394
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what is the "Goldilocks Zone" of P5 interest for this board to be satisfied.

If a recruit doesn't have any P5 offers, we worry that he's not good enough and some of us would be disappointed that we couldn't do better.

But, as soon as those P5 offers start to roll in, we immediately think that Cox & Co. are recruiting above their weight and we don't have a shot.

Agree with you here. Personally I like to see offers from P5 schools for guys we are after. I tend to judge recruits more on offers then rankings (though rankings are good to) so to see higher profile schools on some of the same guys is a good sign. It's up to Cox and the staff to land a couple of these guys from time to time, regardless of the competition.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If we want to stay at the top of A10 we occasionally have to win recruiting battles against BE/AAC and mid to low tier P5. That is just the bottom line, we cannot be scared every time a P5 shows interest in someone we are prioritizing. We beat out those types of programs for guys like Harris, Terrell and EC. Once in a while we have to punch above our weight to stay at top of A10 and keep up with the Daytons and VCUs of the world who do win those recruiting battles from time to time as well. Cannot build a top tier A10 team solely with mid major talent and under the radar guys.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago If we want to stay at the top of A10 we occasionally have to win recruiting battles against BE/AAC and mid to low tier P5. That is just the bottom line, we cannot be scared every time a P5 shows interest in someone we are prioritizing. We beat out those types of programs for guys like Harris, Terrell and EC. Once in a while we have to punch above our weight to stay at top of A10 and keep up with the Daytons and VCUs of the world who do win those recruiting battles from time to time as well. Cannot build a top tier A10 team solely with mid major talent and under the radar guys.
Yep, nailed it.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what is the "Goldilocks Zone" of P5 interest for this board to be satisfied.

Yep pretty accurate.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

When Hurley got here he said he would going after BE quality players. I assume Cox feels that way too.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago When Hurley got here he said he would going after BE quality players. I assume Cox feels that way too.

I believe Coach Cox feels the same way and attempts and will try to get the best players he can actually get and try his hardest. Danny did a great job recruiting obviously, but to believe his family name and connections didn't carry any weight would not be totally fair. Hopefully in time David Cox's name will become a very common name as a head coach to most high school recruits. He is only in his 2nd year as a head coach, without the name recognition. I think most here agree he is a relentless worker. I may be considered too much of a Cox supporter, but I think he will be absolutely fine.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago When Hurley got here he said he would going after BE quality players. I assume Cox feels that way too.

I believe Coach Cox feels the same way and attempts and will try to get the best players he can actually get and try his hardest. Danny did a great job recruiting obviously, but to believe his family name and connections didn't carry any weight would not be totally fair. Hopefully in time David Cox's name will become a very common name as a head coach to most high school recruits. He is only in his 2nd year as a head coach, without the name recognition. I think most here agree he is a relentless worker. I may be considered too much of a Cox supporter, but I think he will be absolutely fine.
I hope he will be, but after CFL, this fanbase is not going to stand for 3 or 4 years without making the NCAAT. That's for sure.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think he has a good chance to eradicate that concern in year 2.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago If we want to stay at the top of A10 we occasionally have to win recruiting battles against BE/AAC and mid to low tier P5. That is just the bottom line, we cannot be scared every time a P5 shows interest in someone we are prioritizing. We beat out those types of programs for guys like Harris, Terrell and EC. Once in a while we have to punch above our weight to stay at top of A10 and keep up with the Daytons and VCUs of the world who do win those recruiting battles from time to time as well. Cannot build a top tier A10 team solely with mid major talent and under the radar guys.
I agree with this overall. One thing I’d say is that you probably can build a top tier A10 team solely with under the radar guys once in a while, but you absolutely cannot build a top tier A10 program that is good year after year that way.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’d agree with that too and St Bonnies would be Exhibit A to back that point up...Al did that at URI to some extent as well. But it’s incredibly difficult to sustain without enduring some dud years in between the good ones.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team Durant up 26-12 in 2nd qtr. Leggett 3-6 with 6 points. Timberlake leads Durant with 10 points.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team Durant up 47-30 at half. Leggett 4-7 with 10 points. He is a slasher - drives to the basket.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great updates
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Team Durant wins 97-70. Leggett 7-10 for 16 points, 4 assist. Coach rested several starters including Leggett. They have 4 games in the next two days. Interesting that Ace Baldwin (VCU commit) doesn’t start. Leggett is much better than Baldwin.
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Team Durant wins 97-70. Leggett 7-10 for 16 points, 4 assist. Coach rested several starters including Leggett. They have 4 games in the next two days. Interesting that Ace Baldwin (VCU commit) doesn’t start. Leggett is much better than Baldwin.

Leggett way better then Ace?? Huh? Two different players n games. Ace is the real deal. He was hurt and missed lot AAU.