Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Cox hired Carroll and Sutton because he gave more weight to player development and scouting than recruiting. why would he want to dump Carroll after 1 year?
Did you think that player development and scouting were strengths for URI during the portion of the season that Carroll was on the bench? I definitely did not think so. I’m not saying that it was specifically Carroll’s fault, but I was advocating for staff turnover in mid-February and let me tell you, it had nothing to do with recruiting.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I understand fans are questioning Carroll's value. My point is that it only matters what Cox thinks and since he's now with the team, in a new fiscal year, he's part of the staff.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OK, well on that we definitely agree. And if he’s here, I’m rooting for him 100%. Cox knows more about his staff than I ever could, but my honest impression watching most of last season was that Cox should be getting more from his staff and I had hoped to see some turnover to try to get that for him. If he wants to roll with these guys, I will support that.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why don't we just end the speculation now?

It's Sutton, Carroll, and TJ.

I'm OK with that at this point.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Is anyone still speculating about it?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Not so fast people!!!
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Is anyone still speculating about it?
Yes. I am not so sure it’s a given for TJ.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If it's a given, why the recent job posting when there was another job posting not long ago? Doesn't make sense to me.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It would be majorly disappointing to me if we brought Carroll back and let TJ go. Bordering on mismanagement.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TJ is here to stay.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Cox hired Carroll and Sutton because he gave more weight to player development and scouting than recruiting. why would he want to dump Carroll after 1 year?
Did you think that player development and scouting were strengths for URI during the portion of the season that Carroll was on the bench? I definitely did not think so. I’m not saying that it was specifically Carroll’s fault, but I was advocating for staff turnover in mid-February and let me tell you, it had nothing to do with recruiting.
When were player development and scouting a strength for us last season? We beat Dayton and VCU (who we had already beat earlier with Carroll on the bench) at the end of the season and the other teams sucked.

I think this idea people are running with that TJ was a huge part in us playing better is insane and kind of in poor taste. If TJ played a huge of a role in making the team play better then it should be concerning that TJ was capable of what Carroll, Sutton and Cox were not. Also something’s no one brought up - maybe the team rallied around their assistant coach being in the hospital...

And for all the shit Carroll’s getting I’m not sure why more aren’t questioning Sutton. His last job was as an assistant to Stallings at Pitt and the majority of college basketball fans knew Stallings was an awful hire. In his 2 seasons there Pitt got 4 conference wins so where was the player development on that team? And if all of Sutton’s USA basketball stuff is so impressive why wasn’t he more sought after by better teams?

Also this post isn’t really directed at you TP. I just started replying to your post and threw the other stuff in there.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I was going to say, I have said specifically the opposite.
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I really don’t know if it’s fair to say that Carroll was the problem. I’ve seen people say that, and that TJ moving into an acting coach role turned the season around. Maybe it contributed, but I have a really hard time believing that kind of change in one assistant coaching position would make the kind of night and day difference we saw. I’m more willing to assume that the timing there was coincidental and some other stuff closer to the actual court played a bigger role. I’m also very leery of kicking Carroll while he’s down - I don’t know anything about the inner workings of the coaching staff so I cannot say who was serving Cox best and who wasn’t. But I do feel that, overall, Cox was not getting what he needed from his assistants and he would benefit from some turnover. I’d leave it to him to figure that out, but Carroll seems like an obvious candidate to be swapped out all other things being equal. I also feel for him and his family and would fully support/encourage the university to move him into a non-coaching role until he’s out of the woods with respect to his health.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

TJ would be the feel good hire, but I would much rather see URI hire a more qualified candidate.

A staff of Sutton, Carroll and TJ would be underwhelming in my opinion.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Thinking TJ turned the season around seems a little silly, thinking TJ is a strong candidate to become a high quality assistant coach, not so silly. TJ is a smart, hard working go getter and extremely motivated by his passion for Rhody MBB, not saying that's all that is required, but it's a great foundation.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think TJ brings more to the table than Boswell but of course there might be someone out there who would be better than both. Not a great time to be still looking though.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Just because it is not announced, does not mean that they "are still looking". Maybe Preston will really be available??????????
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

After Gordie Ernst there's no way Thorr hires someone with issues
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If I am reading things right, Preston didn’t give money to a player. Took some money for himself, big difference in my book. Yes it’s shady. Yes he should not have done it. If the things that happened in college basketball, I put it low on the list of offenses. Just bad optics with the envelope of cash.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago If I am reading things right, Preston didn’t give money to a player. Took some money for himself, big difference in my book. Yes it’s shady. Yes he should not have done it. If the things that happened in college basketball, I put it low on the list of offenses. Just bad optics with the envelope of cash.
That was the second trial. The first trial almost a year ago had Preston talking to an Adidas rep offering $100k to a player's family (I think it was part of the Brian Bowen recruitment saga).
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

If we think it's bad not knowing who the assistant coaches are, just imagine being fans of Cleveland State - they just shit-canned their whole staff today and have to start from scratch on July 12th.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI has 4 coaches out on the recruiting trail this week. They are covering Peach Jam (N Augusta SC), Under Amour Finals (Atlanta), Adidas Championship (Birmingham) & Big Shots (Myrtle Beach).
“We will be good when we are good.”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So Carroll is on the road?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago So Carroll is on the road?
Unconfirmed who but I can’t imagine anyone else.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago So Carroll is on the road?
Unconfirmed who but I can’t imagine anyone else.
From what I hear Carroll wants to be back on the staff, but not sure that this is what Cox and URI feel is best for the team. I think his health issues have made it a little harder for Rhody to move on from him. I doubt it was Carroll that is on the road as I don’t think a final decision has been made yet.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Anyone want to start a poll on whether TJ is announced as an Assistant Coach this week?
I say yes on Tuesday or Wednesday.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I'm wondering if a consideration might be - If Carroll isn't 100% yet, that they might be concerned if they don't hire a more experienced assistant now?

I believe TJ will be promoted, but it might be the next opening.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think, on July 14th, this situation is a serious issue.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The job was posted on July 1st, I believe. The job was posting for 2 weeks, I believe. It should be wrapping up, correct?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I agree with ‘83.
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Job posting closes Monday so they can hire someone starting Tuesday
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hopefully with the new Board overseeing URI, we won't have to deal with this state nonsense much anymore.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully with the new Board overseeing URI, we won't have to deal with this state nonsense much anymore.
Unfortunately the new URI Board has no control over the State Personnel Rules. All state positions need to be posted for a minimum amount of days for the application period. The Board doesn’t trump promulgated personnel rules.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Hopefully with the new Board overseeing URI, we won't have to deal with this state nonsense much anymore.
Evan if it was possible, do you honestly think The Board of Directors would be approached on the hiring of a third assistant coach for the men's basketball program?.................really !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Unfortunately the new URI Board has no control over the State Personnel Rules. All state positions need to be posted for a minimum amount of days for the application period. The Board doesn’t trump promulgated personnel rules.
If Rhode Island was a normal state, 25 years ago a state rep that was plugged in at - or at least approachable with respect to - the state University would have introduced a stand alone bill exempting the University’s athletics hirings from this otherwise reasonable state law, and the bill would have been approved by unanimous consent and not one person posting here would have ever thought one time about how the athletic department is hurt by the bureaucracy of a state that it is only formally and nominally associated with in the first place.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jon Rothstein just posted the following: “Rhode Island assistant John Carroll remains on sick leave and will resign, per release. School is hopeful he can make a full recovery and if so, will be able to re-apply for the position.”
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Glad the situation is finally being resolved and hope Coach Carroll is doing well. So I am guessing at this point that TJ will continue to fill Ty's spot and we'll have a new hire for Carroll's spot. Will be interesting to see who they can add at this point, although I assume they have been planning for this for a while.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Gets weirder and weirder. He resigns but can apply for his old job.
So now they post it and we wait two more weeks.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Glad the situation is finally being resolved and hope Coach Carroll is doing well. So I am guessing at this point that TJ will continue to fill Ty's spot and we'll have a new hire for Carroll's spot. Will be interesting to see who they can add at this point, although I assume they have been planning for this for a while.
As has been mentioned by others, finding an experienced quality assistant in mid July isn’t easy.
TJ should be announced Tues or Weds.
I would think the qualifications for the Carroll replacement will be different than the current job posting.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Gets weirder and weirder. He resigns but can apply for his old job.
So now they post it and we wait two more weeks.
Sounds like that might have been part of the negotiation. I was thinking re-apply next year.
If it means in two weeks, he better get healthy quick 😜. They may have to say that for legal reasons to show they aren’t being prejudice against Carroll.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some clarity on dates/timing for the process.
https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/index
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Joint statement: John Carroll to Resign; Position to be Posted

KINGSTON, R.I. - The University of Rhode Island Assistant Men's Basketball Coach John Carroll remains on sick leave. Head Coach David Cox and Coach Carroll are hoping that his health improves so that he can continue to be an integral part of the URI men's basketball coaching staff.

In the event that Coach Carroll's health will not allow him to continue with the rigors required to serve in this capacity, we are posting his position in accordance with University of Rhode Island Human Resource policy.

Coach Carroll will have the opportunity to apply for this position, as will other candidates. This will provide him the opportunity to continue to improve his health and also ensure that the URI basketball staff will be complete by mid August. The Athletic Department felt this was the best approach under the circumstances.

Coach Carroll was out on paid sick from February 20 and through the end of May. He currently is on unpaid sick leave, and this will remain in effect through July 30, at which time the department expects to fill our vacancy. It is certainly our hope that Coach Carroll's health will allow him to apply and interview for the job and continue to be a valued presence on Coach Cox's staff.

"On Feb.19, my life took a different path due to serious health issues. It has been a long recovery with a lot of tremendous help from a lot of people," Carroll said. "I have been overwhelmed by and thankful for the concern and assistance from all the people at Rhode Island.

"I have spent my whole life in the basketball community, but the support from David Cox, Thorr Bjorn, all the assistant coaches and support staff and the administration at URI has been overwhelming and so truly appreciated. I feel really fortunate to be part of such a caring and exceptional group."

Shortly after being named head coach at Rhode Island, Cox hired Carroll in June of 2018.

"John Carroll is an exceptional man, leader and basketball coach, and he was a very important hire when I was putting our staff together," Cox said. "His health and recovery have been and will remain the top priority."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Mid-August? Wow.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
If Rhode Island was a normal state, 25 years ago a state rep that was plugged in at - or at least approachable with respect to - the state University would have introduced a stand alone bill exempting the University’s athletics hirings from this otherwise reasonable state law, and the bill would have been approved by unanimous consent and not one person posting here would have ever thought one time about how the athletic department is hurt by the bureaucracy of a state that it is only formally and nominally associated with in the first place.
FWIW I always scope the URI job board and there are so many issues with the job titles and descriptions themselves. They still hire “word processing typists” and the job description says “must be able to replace typewriter ribbon”. I have no idea what that even means!

A lot of what URI can or cannot do is dictated by Department of Administration. TP, your comment, “if RI were a normal state”.... I could not think of a better choice of words.

Even though the coaching staff salaries aren’t funded by taxpayer dollars they still have to follow the same protocol.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I try to restrain from commenting on the state and university admin stuff, because after all it is Rhode Island and as residents with any awareness we know how things go here, BUT, this is ridiculous! We have to get our acts together, it's such a bad look. It's always one step forward, one step backward with this state and admittedly our beloved university.
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Sept 1st? unreal
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago FWIW I always scope the URI job board and there are so many issues with the job titles and descriptions themselves. They still hire “word processing typists” and the job description says “must be able to replace typewriter ribbon”. I have no idea what that even means!
Not surprised at all and normally would be amused.
Go Rhody!!!