Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Thanks, I actually emailed URI and got a survey. I'm a small donor and a Mini Plan ticket holder so I'm not a big fish.Good to get a voice.To be honest, I wish the survey was longer and allowed comments in the end.

I still think if this board became an unofficial booster group and we raised money through fund raisers, we'd get a larger voice and taken more seriously
as a group and not individually.It's a tough ask for the guys who run it, I'm sure they're busy.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RAMFAN wrote: 5 years ago Thanks, I actually emailed URI and got a survey. I'm a small donor and a Mini Plan ticket holder so I'm not a big fish.Good to get a voice.To be honest, I wish the survey was longer and allowed comments in the end.

I still think if this board became an unofficial booster group and we raised money through fund raisers, we'd get a larger voice and taken more seriously
as a group and not individually.It's a tough ask for the guys who run it, I'm sure they're busy.

I notice that sometimes people don’t get all the emails from Athletics so please don’t think of yourself as a small fish. A fan is a fan.

There’s some fairly well known donors/boosters on this board as far as I know. I don’t think grouping everyone here together is the best idea especially since many folks want to remain anonymous.
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Good to know, but no on one on this board has to donate if they don't want to.Everyone would be anonymous since it would be under the KB group.People would lose the tax write off i guess.People can still donate on their own, I will. I think the amount of members would probably have more of an impact than the money raised.I'm thinking of situations where we can meet up and watch a road game at a URI friendly bar on an off night like a Tuesday and we get some deal and also chip in 10 bucks.Just an idea.I donate to this board and trust them if they want to try it.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Looks like they've updated the seating chart to reflect what some of us guessed: with the student section spreading out to 314, the sections in the other end zone -- 107, 108, 109, 209 (where students rarely sat anyway) -- are now regular seating:

19MBB-19MBR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, 302 is a combination of both general public seating and young alumni.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Students lose a good number of close to the court seats. Replaced with seats in the rafters.

At least it will look better on tv as seats near the court will now be filled when students decide not to come.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I believe there were 1500 student seats before the change. I'm curious to know how many there are now.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Are there even young alumni left in RI? Seems like everyone has to leave this state to find a job.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Many programs struggle converting young alumni into season ticket holders, but a lot of that is determined by how important basketball was during the college experience. You are more likely to convert a local class of 2018 alumni who experienced 2 NCAA Tournaments over a class of 2014 alumni whose attendance at games was primarily determined by the name of the opponent. The young alumni who only came to the "name games" may eventually buy season tickets if the program is on a high, but will never renew as they go through a rebuild. They aren't real fans.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago Are there even young alumni left in RI? Seems like everyone has to leave this state to find a job.
Students don’t passionately attend games even while on campus.
A high percentage of students are from NY, Long Island (I know it’s NY), New Jersey, Pennsylvania do they are not going to games. URI alumni have the R.I. Disease that Kingston is a Road Trip from Warwick on North.
And as you say, many Alumni from R.I. leave the state for Jobs right out of college or yo get a better opportunity later on. Older Alumni retire to Florida for the weather and lower taxes including no state income tax.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The seats in 109 seemed to be used for the Ramettes. I think the seats in 107-108 were used sparingly by the Athletic Dept and MBB team for guests. I am hoping that season tickets are increasing again this year and they are filling those sections with season ticket holders.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago Are there even young alumni left in RI? Seems like everyone has to leave this state to find a job.
A high percentage of students are from NY, Long Island (I know it’s NY), New Jersey, Pennsylvania do they are not going to games. URI alumni have the R.I. Disease that Kingston is a Road Trip from Warwick on North.
And as you say, many Alumni from R.I. leave the state for Jobs right out of college or yo get a better opportunity later on. Older Alumni retire to Florida for the weather and lower taxes including no state income tax.
It's surprising they get any fans then :oops: Where do the 6,000 people come from?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The seats in 109 seemed to be used for the Ramettes. I think the seats in 107-108 were used sparingly by the Athletic Dept and MBB team for guests. I am hoping that season tickets are increasing again this year and they are filling those sections with season ticket holders.

Ticket Lady must be pumped about having the opportunity to ask even more people to show her their tickets.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
It's surprising they get any fans then :oops: Where do the 6,000 people come from?
The discussion is about Young Alumni. Look around at the 6000 next game and tell me how many are 60+ and 22 and under. There are to many old people. Just like at the Dunk.

Place was built for 7700. I wouldn’t be bragging about 6000 average.
And a lot of tickets go at bargain prices, free to schools, bury one get one free, $10 to be a student, very low cost Young Alumni Tickets, etc.

I’d love to be VCU or Dayton with regular sellouts and a StubHub sellers dream but we are a long way from that - and this is with good Hurley/Cox competitive Top 4 in Conference teams. These are not Baron Teams.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Did you see the new George Mason locker rooms? Looks similar to many blue blood programs. We need to upgrade ours soon.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The discussion is about Young Alumni. Look around at the 6000 next game and tell me how many are 60+ and 22 and under. There are to many old people. Just like at the Dunk.

And a lot of tickets go at bargain prices, free to schools, bury one get one free, $10 to be a student, very low cost Young Alumni Tickets, etc.

I’d love to be VCU or Dayton with regular sellouts and a StubHub sellers dream but we are a long way from that - and this is with good Hurley/Cox competitive Top 4 in Conference teams. These are not Baron Teams.
Too many old people over 60. ....I'm 62..... Should I stop going?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CamsRams wrote: 5 years ago Did you see the new George Mason locker rooms? Looks similar to many blue blood programs. We need to upgrade ours soon.
They look great and are part of a couple-step improvement plan, including a dedicated basketball practice facility. They’re doing what URI (hopefully, at some point) plans to do, with reworking and massively updating an existing space.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Looking at the price of the newly avail sections 107-109 my guess is that they will push those seats in group sales.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

Too many old people over 60. ....I'm 62..... Should I stop going?
If ticket sales revenues are so great then that Practice Facility must be right around the corner

My point is 6000 people is nothing to get hyped about but also the revenues from those last 2000 seats is not so good

At 62 you represent the youth movement
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’d say most Uri alumni live at least 1.5-2 hours away from campus so most can’t make it to every game.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramster you are so positive.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Speaking of the practice facility, has anyone heard anything about when construction will begin?

There has been, to my knowledge, no news at all about it for quite a while.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Speaking of the practice facility, has anyone heard anything about when construction will begin?

Thorr wants to be the last A10 school with a practice facility
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Speaking of the practice facility, has anyone heard anything about when construction will begin?

83 you are so positive
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How much of the NCAA basketball money is being used for the football field?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The lack of no news on a practice facility makes it clear that it is not a priority. It sadly was only a temporary priority when a successful head coach was in danger of being lured away. That threat is now gone since said coach moved on and the matter is now on the back burner. May need another NCAA run by Cox with a possibility of him moving on elsewhere to get the ball rolling again.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This was my biggest concern when Hurley left and I said it at the time. Without a guy like Hurley around to push the administration to do what needs to be done I'm afraid we'll fall right back into the same trap of cutting corners and doing the smallest amount necessary to get by. Its too early to say definitively that we're at that point now, but there are definitely some signs to be worried that we are headed down that road in my opinion.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago This was my biggest concern when Hurley left and I said it at the time. Without a guy like Hurley around to push the administration to do what needs to be done I'm afraid we'll fall right back into the same trap of cutting corners and doing the smallest amount necessary to get by. Its too early to say definitively that we're at that point now, but there are definitely some signs to be worried that we are headed down that road in my opinion.
Signs?

You mean things like this:

No practice facility plans made public
Smaller head coach salary with savings not being reinvested in program
Miniscule raises for vastly underpaid staff members
Not filling positions in a timely manner leaving them open for a long period
No discernible use for ANY of the new NCAA participation and increased ticket revenues and head coach salary savings
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Sadly, you knew after Dan Hurley's departure that there was a great probability that this is exactly what was going to happen.

Dave Cox doesn't have the leverage to push the administration's resource commitment to compete with that of VCU or Dayton the way Hurley did. And our athletic history demonstrates our willingness to be satisfied with middle of the pack mediocrity.

We should be wiser about managing and funding the one revenue producing program that we have, the program that's the athletic face of the university.

It's why we have these cycles of 2 great seasons about once every decade. I empathize with Dave Cox
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago This was my biggest concern when Hurley left and I said it at the time. Without a guy like Hurley around to push the administration to do what needs to be done I'm afraid we'll fall right back into the same trap of cutting corners and doing the smallest amount necessary to get by. Its too early to say definitively that we're at that point now, but there are definitely some signs to be worried that we are headed down that road in my opinion.
What signs other than the practice facility (and I agree that is a big one). When Cox was hired Thorr said he would meet with his new HC to get his priorities as to spending. I do know they took more charter flights for away games last year.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What signs other than the practice facility (and I agree that is a big one). When Cox was hired Thorr said he would meet with his new HC to get his priorities as to spending. I do know they took more charter flights for away games last year.
The practice facility is for sure the big one. I agree with a couple of the points RF1 made above as well, with the other biggest one being coaching salaries and hires (or lack of). I just have a bad gut feeling about the way the assistant coach stuff is playing out this offseason.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
The practice facility is for sure the big one. I agree with a couple of the points RF1 made above as well, with the other biggest one being coaching salaries and hires (or lack of). I just have a bad gut feeling about the way the assistant coach stuff is playing out this offseason.
The practice facility is much different than the assistant coaches. Thorr said publicly that the practice facility was still going to happen on the same timeline. I believe that was to open Sept 2020. The delay on filling the assistant coaching positions is not financial. Thorr mentioned the slight increase in the assistant salary pool and they did that. We don’t know if money is being spent in other areas. Neither Thorr nor Cox have been public about where/if the financial resources are being used. So they could be spending on things that Cox had as a priority and it just isn’t visible. Charter flights is an example. The practice facility is the most visible and needs to happen.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I know I've said it before and I will apparently have to keep saying it - their original plan for a practice facility was a deeply flawed plan and it'd be a terrible gamble once Hurley left. I'm glad they ended up putting the plan on ice.

Don't discount the importance of an independent Board of Trustees or Governors or whatever. Dooley can't just allocate university funds for major capital projects at his whim - that would require approval the Board. If RI does the right thing and gives URI its own Board, it would make getting that approval a lot easier for Dooley.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago

The practice facility is much different than the assistant coaches. Thorr said publicly that the practice facility was still going to happen on the same timeline. I believe that was to open Sept 2020. The delay on filling the assistant coaching positions is not financial. Thorr mentioned the slight increase in the assistant salary pool and they did that. We don’t know if money is being spent in other areas. Neither Thorr nor Cox have been public about where/if the financial resources are being used. So they could be spending on things that Cox had as a priority and it just isn’t visible. Charter flights is an example. The practice facility is the most visible and needs to happen.
Are you saying the new Practice Facility will be open in September 2020? A year from now? When does construction begin?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago I know I've said it before and I will apparently have to keep saying it - their original plan for a practice facility was a deeply flawed plan and it'd be a terrible gamble once Hurley left. I'm glad they ended up putting the plan on ice.

Don't discount the importance of an independent Board of Trustees or Governors or whatever. Dooley can't just allocate university funds for major capital projects at his whim - that would require approval the Board. If RI does the right thing and gives URI its own Board, it would make getting that approval a lot easier for Dooley.
None. I repeat none of the money will come from University funds. The project doesn’t require any approval of the Board of Trustees or Governors or whatever. Approval to use the existing space was already granted over a year ago. The study was completed to renovate the existing space. The project estimate is $5 million and none of that has changed. All of the $5 million will come from private donors. Thorr said he has commitment for 80% of it ($4 million). I have no idea why they haven’t had a campaign to raise the remaining money. It was initially delayed due to the fundraising campaign for the football field renovations. It is my understanding that fundraising has been completed.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago I know I've said it before and I will apparently have to keep saying it - their original plan for a practice facility was a deeply flawed plan and it'd be a terrible gamble once Hurley left. I'm glad they ended up putting the plan on ice.

None. I repeat none of the money will come from University funds. The project doesn’t require any approval of the Board of Trustees or Governors or whatever. Approval to use the existing space was already granted over a year ago. The study was completed to renovate the existing space. The project estimate is $5 million and none of that has changed. All of the $5 million will come from private donors. Thorr said he has commitment for 80% of it ($4 million). I have no idea why they haven’t had a campaign to raise the remaining money. It was initially delayed due to the fundraising campaign for the football field renovations. It is my understanding that fundraising has been completed.
Do you think athletics is fully funded by donors? Of course there is university money flowing to the athletics department. It's the percentage that is negotiable with the Board as part of the budget process.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago

Do you think athletics is fully funded by donors? Of course there is university money flowing to the athletics department. It's the percentage that is negotiable with the Board as part of the budget process.
I think the premise is the practice facility is being funded without University dollars. 100%.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hard for Kyle to follow. None of the money for the practice facility will be funded by university money. 100% donor funded.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hard for Kyle to follow. None of the money for the practice facility will be funded by university money. 100% donor funded.
As we know URI gets ~6% of its operating budget from the state. So, yes, there’s that whole thing in a nutshell.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hard for Kyle to follow. None of the money for the practice facility will be funded by university money. 100% donor funded.
As we know URI gets ~6% of its operating budget from the state. So, yes, there’s that whole thing in a nutshell.

Keep in mind that is just operating expenses. The state contribution to capital projects that include the construction and renovation of buildings and facilities is far higher.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

And my point, dick, was that these things don't necessarily have to be donor-funded now (knowing how skiddish and flaky URI's donors are). You seem like those people from that South Park episode who enjoy sniffing their own farts.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I would assume construction would take 10-12 months depending on the extent of the renovation. That would make kick off around September-November 2019?
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I would assume construction would take 10-12 months depending on the extent of the renovation. That would make kick off around September-November 2019?
It seems these projects take longer. I don’t know why they take so long but I am not in construction.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I would assume construction would take 10-12 months depending on the extent of the renovation. That would make kick off around September-November 2019?
Mature. I will bet you there will be no university funding that requires University Board approval. Loser takes 6 months off from posting on KB. You up for that?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

It seems these projects take longer. I don’t know why they take so long but I am not in construction.

For that reason I would not want to be in construction.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm guessing, but my point is, if that Sept 2020 is the current open date, we should be seeing some evidence soon.
GO RAMS
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

I was at PC this past weekend and saw their dedicated basketball practice facility for the first time. It is beautiful and state of the art. Rumor was that Billy Donovan paid for half of it, and someone else (name escapes me) paid the other half. I imagine it would be very impressive for recruits. Heck I was impressed and I hate PC. Rhody really needs one. The Ryan Center is great! But things like, local high school graduations, etc come up and the team can’t practice or host recruiting visits in there.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I wondered what they were going to do with those extra rings...

Mine... hanging on the right arm of my JD Martinez home run counter bobble-head.