General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by ace »

FWIW,

Next, the 247 composites will adjust slightly.

It’s a weird time of year for recruiting, where sometimes the rankings don’t match up with the offer list, like a guy ranked 250 has actual offers major programs.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

They're so lazy with their data base. They have no offers for Diarra, when he has like a dozen.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Upcoming recruiting calendar/dates
June 24-27 on campus visits only
June 28-30 Evaluation at nonAAU approved locations (high school coaches’ events)
July 1-5 on campus visits only
July 6-10 dead period
July 11-14 AAU events including Peach Jam (SC), Adidas Gauntlet Championship (Birmingham) & UA Challenge (Atlanta)
July 15-22 dead period
July 23-28 NCAA Development Camps (Evaluation Period) 4 locations (Houston, Champaign IL, Storrs & Phoenix)
July 29-31 dead period
Aug 1-Sept 8 on campus visits only. Typically no on campus visits occur in August because current players aren’t on campus
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Does it seem like a different approach to recruiting/offers this summer than last? It seems like they were making offers to higher ranked guys last summer and mixing it up with major programs more. For a variety of reasons, they didn’t get those guys, despite spending a lot of time and effort on them. It’s the nature of recruiting.

I know ratings aren’t everything (we know a guy ranked 175 or so can outplay a guy ranked 90, for example), and I always look at who else is offering a guy. The bottom line is always winning, and if they trust their talent evaluation skills to consistently find under-recruited guys to do that, no one will care where they’re ranked.

They’re losing some highly important minutes at the end of 19-20. The hope, obviously, is that the guys on the roster pick that up, but it seems like a effective recruiting tool to sell those minutes, too, especially for a big.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Does it seem like a different approach to recruiting/offers this summer than last? It seems like they were making offers to higher ranked guys last summer and mixing it up with major programs more. For a variety of reasons, they didn’t get those guys, despite spending a lot of time and effort on them. It’s the nature of recruiting.

I know ratings aren’t everything (we know a guy ranked 175 or so can outplay a guy ranked 90, for example), and I always look at who else is offering a guy. The bottom line is always winning, and if they trust their talent evaluation skills to consistently find under-recruited guys to do that, no one will care where they’re ranked.

They’re losing some highly important minutes at the end of 19-20. The hope, obviously, is that the guys on the roster pick that up, but it seems like a effective recruiting tool to sell those minutes, too, especially for a big.
I does seem that way. Last year their two priority recruits were Top 150 players Bishop and Anthony Walker. I think Walker eventually dropped out of the Top 150. They did sign Long a much lower rated recruit early. Assuming Darius Miles is a priority this year - he is currently rated #149 by 247. I do think the staff creates their own ratings. I think they have Leggett rated much higher than the recruiting services. Based on his AAU performance you can see him being a priority.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago Does it seem like a different approach to recruiting/offers this summer than last? It seems like they were making offers to higher ranked guys last summer and mixing it up with major programs more. For a variety of reasons, they didn’t get those guys, despite spending a lot of time and effort on them. It’s the nature of recruiting.

I does seem that way. Last year their two priority recruits were Top 150 players Bishop and Anthony Walker. I think Walker eventually dropped out of the Top 150. They did sign Long a much lower rated recruit early. Assuming Darius Miles is a priority this year - he is currently rated #149 by 247. I do think the staff creates their own ratings. I think they have Leggett rated much higher than the recruiting services. Based on his AAU performance you can see him being a priority.
Bishop and Walker were the ones that came down to the wire, but there definitely seemed to be more offers out there for top guys last year. I think most staffs make their own ratings. There’s a lot of room for discussion after the first 30 or 40 guys. I guess I’m wondering if their ratings differ so much from others or if it was a conscious choice to step back or go a little more under the radar this recruiting cycle.

I wonder the same about JUCOs. They signed two for this class, but it seems like they may have gone that way more to balance the classes and fill some spots that opened up rather than that being a regular primary approach.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 4 years ago

Bishop and Walker were the ones that came down to the wire, but there definitely seemed to be more offers out there for top guys last year. I think most staffs make their own ratings. There’s a lot of room for discussion after the first 30 or 40 guys. I guess I’m wondering if their ratings differ so much from others or if it was a conscious choice to step back or go a little more under the radar this recruiting cycle.

I wonder the same about JUCOs. They signed two for this class, but it seems like they may have gone that way more to balance the classes and fill some spots that opened up rather than that being a regular primary approach.
It could be a different approach or a coincidence; I'm not sure.
As for jucos, there's no way URI, or programs like them, can succeed without transfers. This year, I think it was a combination of balancing the classes and getting some experienced players so they don't have to rely on the freshmen.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s amazing that Rhody lost 4 players (non Sr) after the season ended. It creeps up on you one at a time.
They have been replaced by Sheppard, Toppin & Johnson. Definitely an upgrade.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Didn't state it at the time, but I loved the roster "clean-up" that was done. Whether it was planned (or maybe some weren't), just didn't see any future in Tertsea, Aris, Silverio, Layssard and Thompson. Will make some unhappy at the end of the bench but gives Cox more chances to find a gem.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Didn't state it at the time, but I loved the roster "clean-up" that was done. Whether it was planned (or maybe some weren't), just didn't see any future in Tertsea, Aris, Silverio, Layssard and Thompson. Will make some unhappy at the end of the bench but gives Cox more chances to find a gem.
Great point, nothing against them, but shaving off the fat will really help this season.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox going after SJC prospects every year. It makes sense with his connection and Jeff’s as a star alum. Unique advantage worth trying to get top prospects.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Didn't state it at the time, but I loved the roster "clean-up" that was done. Whether it was planned (or maybe some weren't), just didn't see any future in Tertsea, Aris, Silverio, Layssard and Thompson. Will make some unhappy at the end of the bench but gives Cox more chances to find a gem.
And Mading. The roster looks good, but I still think it’s kind of crazy to have brought in and then got rid of 3 guys in a year.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And Mading. The roster looks good, but I still think it’s kind of crazy to have brought in and then got rid of 3 guys in a year.
It is crazy.
Doesn’t it make you wonder by so much roster clean up was necessary in the first place?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
It is crazy.
Doesn’t it make you wonder by so much roster clean up was necessary in the first place?
If it was Omar’s choice to leave, I have no problem with that. Recruiting in the spring can be tough, but the hope is that this spring’s recruiting yields different results. The Aris situation is an acknowledged hot mess. Mading falls somewhere in between, I think.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I appreciate the (legal) hustle. Why not?

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox needs to keep the SJC offers going. Offer this ‘21.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

"It’s amazing that Rhody lost 4 players (non Sr) after the season ended. It creeps up on you one at a time.
They have been replaced by Sheppard, Toppin & Johnson. Definitely an upgrade."

For the most part I would agree with this, but I wonder what Maddings' ceiling might have
been?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago "It’s amazing that Rhody lost 4 players (non Sr) after the season ended. It creeps up on you one at a time.
They have been replaced by Sheppard, Toppin & Johnson. Definitely an upgrade."

For the most part I would agree with this, but I wonder what Maddings' ceiling might have
been?

He was certainly intriguing with his skill set at his height.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I don’t think turnover is too out of the ordinary this day in age if you consider the individuals and their roles with the team. Kids want to play. If they feel like they won’t get off the bench, they prefer to go somewhere where they’ll play. I don’t put CT in the mix since he played out his 4 years here.

- Tertsea: Coaches always take a flyer on a 6’10 kid and hope he develops. Looked like the speed and tempo of Rhodys style didn’t mesh perfectly for him.
- Aris: miscalculation, blond faith
- Layssard: I hoped he would find a spot. Thought he had a nice skill set, but I don’t think his game translated to Rhodys game-plan.
- Mading: recruits change their mind. Same comments as Tertsea. Height is intriguing, but he looked like a project.
- Silverio: I wouldn’t be surprised if this had more to do with proximity to home than basketball. From what I heard, he was homesick. Can’t fault someone for moving back home.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Almost think we need a separate string for '20 big man chase. It's definitely heating up - I'm tracking about 6 bigs we're involved with:

- Josh Ogundele
- Noel Brown
- Elijah Taylor
- Max Amadasun
- Andre Screen
- Josh Gray

I'm sure there are others (didn't include some of the smaller PF like Taj and Farar as I don't see them as a Cyril replacement)
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So much for “needing” Ty....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So much for “needing” Ty....
You could be right but I think that is a little premature. Making an offer to a recruit is nothing. Just look at the 40+ offers Bryant has made - they are crushing it on the recruiting trail 😜
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

How about "needing" assistant coaches at all?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Speaking of assistant coaches, why don't we have any?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You could be right but I think that is a little premature. Making an offer to a recruit is nothing. Just look at the 40+ offers Bryant has made - they are crushing it on the recruiting trail 😜
He’s bringing guys on campus. Building relationships, not blind firing offers.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Grasso is new to Bryant, he has had to make high numbers of signings. I think he is making good progress as he casts a wide net. He knows what he is doing. And he is much higher than the 40 offers you mention as he currently has 74 offers for 2020 and 67 for 2021

By comparison of numbers of offers to date for 2020/2021 of some related programs at this point in time per verbal commits:

School/2020/2021
Bryant 74/67
URI 35/6
VCU 36/16
Saint Louis 38/20
UMASS 38/16
Dayton 23/5
LaSalle 17/14
George Mason 19/3
St Bonaventure 18/4
St Joseph’s 12/1
Richmond 11/4
Duquesne 14/1
Dayton 7/0
Fordham 3/2
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Grasso is new to Bryant, he has had to make high numbers of signings. I think he is making good progress as he casts a wide net. He knows what he is doing. And he is much higher than the 40 offers you mention as he currently has 74 offers for 2020 and 67 for 2021

By comparison of numbers of offers to date for 2020/2021 of some related programs at this point in time per verbal commits:

School/2020/2021
Bryant 74/67
URI 35/6
VCU 36/16
Saint Louis 38/20
UMASS 38/16
Dayton 23/5
LaSalle 17/14
George Mason 19/3
St Bonaventure 18/4
St Joseph’s 12/1
Richmond 11/4
Duquesne 14/1
Dayton 7/0
Fordham 3/2
My point was the number of offers isn’t a way to judge recruiting performance (or the impact of a coach that has left).

DC Rams, the statement about Ty can be made when we have quality OVs and a solid recruiting class committed. I don’t believe any of the bigs in the post you responded to have made or scheduled an OV.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

For recruiting this weekend Coach Cox is wearing the Assistant Coach hat. It seems that Cox, Sutton & TJ will all be in different locations at the camps this weekend. They will each cover two locations.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago For recruiting this weekend Coach Cox is wearing the Assistant Coach hat. It seems that Cox, Sutton & TJ will all be in different locations at the camps this weekend. They will each cover two locations.
So no secret, unannounced fourth guy yet?

Frustrating year to have this disruption. In the past, June was kind of low-key for recruiting travel, with the bulk of the events in July. With the rules changes, programs have had all four coaches out hitting up these June events, which didn’t previously exist.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cox watching this game.

Edit: I didn’t paste the DMV Live at DeMatha twitter link 😴
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Slim
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Slim »

Cox was up at DeMatha tonight watching Screen in others
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Stating some of the obvious the focus this weekend and July.
1) staying in front of Leggett and Miles
2) watching the top 4 big man they recently offered
3) watching other SGs they offered behind 1 & 2
4) evaluating ‘21s
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody DBO/acting assistant coach is there. Hopefully Cox joined him.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I played many games in that gym back in the day. I can only assume they have all gathered to tell stories of my dominance in the late 90s and how it changed the game forever.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I played many games in that gym back in the day. I can only assume they have all gathered to tell stories of my dominance in the late 90s and how it changed the game forever.
It was unanimous. You have now been gifted a lifetime supply of rolled tacos and guacamole from Robertos.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I played many games in that gym back in the day. I can only assume they have all gathered to tell stories of my dominance in the late 90s and how it changed the game forever.
It was unanimous. You have now been gifted a lifetime supply of rolled tacos and guacamole from Robertos.
Well damn it doesn't get much better than that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

One can dream.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Is URI interested in any Bishop O’Connell players? Mekhi could help. Three good scorers in this playoff game.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is for Women’s BB. Rhody is in 7th column and 6th from the bottom
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Do Mass Rivals players start becoming a more viable candidates now that Ty and Carroll (hopefully) are gone? I am not sure how much influence Vin Pastore who runs Mass Rivals has. I talked to Pastore last July at an AAU event. He said “why would I send my players to RI when Hurley hired my competitor (Boswell from Expressions) and the new coach (Cox) hire another competitor (Carroll from TNE).” His right hand guy at Rivals is Scott Hazelton who transferred to URI and had two very good years (all A10 I believe in 2005). He calls Scott his son. Scott played for Baron. Pastore likes Baron. Pastore wasn’t a fan of Hurley yet Rivals top player last year was Akok who ends up at UConn. Back to wondering how much influence Pastore really has. Someone on the Rhody staff should develop a relationship with Hazelton. I believe he coaches the U16 and assist Pastore with the U17. He is also a high school coach and runs his own basketball camps.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago
Ranked 2nd behind Terrence Clarke in New England class of '21.
https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ss-of-2021
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

For all the reasons you listed I think Hazleton would be an excellent assistant college coach.