2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
ace wrote: 4 years ago “Common sense,” says the PC fan with a Rhody handle
At least RJ and the few other obvious Friar fans here wear their Friar avatar with pride.
And with a very clear bias
Sure, I’m a PC fan. When I’m talking about PC, my takes are going to lean PC. It’s a pot meet kettle take. You are a URI fan who has a very clear URI bias. Big deal. I post here for the different perspectives, and I don’t run back to “my board” mocking your fan base (as others who enjoyed this board in the past have done). In fact, I think I’ve been called a URI fan several times on the Scout board for my defense of the URI program. I have fun posting with this community because once you get past the fans with their tin foil hats, there are a lot of great college basketball fans (and sports fans in general). And as long as I’m welcomed, I will come here with my PC-leaning takes and enjoy making conversation with most of you! And I think you would find that if you asked non-speculative, straight-forward questions about PC, I’m not nearly as much of a homer as you think I am.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

At least RJ and the few other obvious Friar fans here wear their Friar avatar with pride.
Sure, I’m a PC fan. When I’m talking about PC, my takes are going to lean PC. It’s a pot meet kettle take. You are a URI fan who has a very clear URI bias. Big deal. I post here for the different perspectives, and I don’t run back to “my board” mocking your fan base (as others who enjoyed this board in the past have done). I’m fact, I think I’ve been called a URI fan several times on the Scout board for my defense of the URI program. I have fun posting with this community because once you get past the fans with their tin foil hats, there are a lot of great college basketball fans (and sports fans in general). And as long as I’m welcomed, I will come here with my PC-leaning takes and enjoy making conversation with most of you!
You have to admit tho...the tin foil hatters...one of the funnest parts of any board?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

Sure, I’m a PC fan. When I’m talking about PC, my takes are going to lean PC. It’s a pot meet kettle take. You are a URI fan who has a very clear URI bias. Big deal. I post here for the different perspectives, and I don’t run back to “my board” mocking your fan base (as others who enjoyed this board in the past have done). In fact, I think I’ve been called a URI fan several times on the Scout board for my defense of the URI program. I have fun posting with this community because once you get past the fans with their tin foil hats, there are a lot of great college basketball fans (and sports fans in general). And as long as I’m welcomed, I will come here with my PC-leaning takes and enjoy making conversation with most of you! And I think you would find that if you asked non-speculative, straight-forward questions about PC, I’m not nearly as much of a homer as you think I am.
Yeah, we miss little Seanie.....NOT!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Interesting...I don't think moving the line backs helps us at all...but I do like the 20 second shot clock re-set.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -distance/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think all of the players are going to benefit from a full offseason with Chase. I like how the freshmen have a completely different workout program than the players who have been training in the program for the past year.

“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Translations needed lol!

Technical overload indeed...…

Back in my day, they called it lifting weights.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Translations needed lol!

Technical overload indeed...…

Back in my day, they called it lifting weights.
Many thing have advance since your day :D

How athletes train, eat, get treatment/recover has all changed since 40 years ago.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It has advanced indeed. Although what has also happened is that conditioning and b-ball trainers have made things sound ridiculously complex and invented new vernacular in the social media age to draw attention. Not saying that is what is happening here, but it is a thing.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rumor gaining traction that UConn will be announced as new Big east member this week.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Two possible dominoes to fall if Uconn does go.
Does AAC add Umass for all sports.
Or do they target someone like VCU for basketball only? The latter would be much more damaging to the A10.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Two possible dominoes to fall if Uconn does go.
Or do they target someone like VCU for basketball only? The latter would be much more damaging to the A10.
The AAC doesn’t want a school in its conference playing football in another conference. Their big money comes from football TV revenue.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

UMASS is the better choice for the AAC for two reasons. They have already committed to a D1 Football program as bad as it is. And AAC is based in Providence which gives them a New England School. UMASS Football can only improve if this alliance happens.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Two possible dominoes to fall if Uconn does go.
The AAC doesn’t want a school in its conference playing football in another conference. Their big money comes from football TV revenue.
Sure they do. They have it with Navy right now. The most often read concept I’ve seen today is for sure UConn is out in football, AAC adds Army so they have full control of theArmy Navy Game and they add VCU for Basketball.

I was relieved at first thinking we were safe with Dayton or St Louis now that NBEwas at 11, but then I read the VCU concept.

Hope not as we need VCU
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago UMASS is the better choice for the AAC for two reasons. They have already committed to a D1 Football program as bad as it is. And AAC is based in Providence which gives them a New England School. UMASS Football can only improve if this alliance happens.

AAC office is about to move out of its Providence building. Only stuck around until the lease ran out. Going to Dallas in summer of 2020.

No way the AAC wants to add a New England school far outside its geographic footprint with bad sports programs. UMass football has never had a winning season in FBS and plays in a crap stadium for that level. Hoops team hasn't won an NCAA game since John Calipari was coach in the mid 90's. Tepid fan support for all sports and not located in a large tv market. UMass would add no value.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I know it’s not official yet, but it seems like a foregone conclusion that UCONN will join the Big East. I hope this doesn’t damage the A10 and by extension Rhody with the AAC taking VCU. However, as a long time follower of multiple leagues in the Northeast (BIG EAST, A10, Ivy League), this seems like a win for both UCONN and the BIG EAST. UCONN still has fan interest and resources and, in my opinion, a coach that can bring them back to national prominence. The only thing they’ve lacked recently is conference identity and now they have it back. I look for them to quickly challenge Villanova for conference supremacy. (Many of my predictions turn out incorrect, though, so perhaps Huskie nation should be concerned: lol!). I wonder if this topic came up during Hurley’s interview process. He has to be pumped.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sheppard, Dowtin, Toppin and Hammond working...
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......so, so, so.....does UConn going the BE hurt/help/neither of getting a game against them?....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......so, so, so.....does UConn going the BE hurt/help/neither of getting a game against them?....
Neither. The games isn’t ever going to happen as long as Dan is their coach. Dan doesn’t want the emotion of playing Rhody. I don’t blame him.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Looked like Dowtin’s elbow was above the rim.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Wonder why it was deleted
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......so, so, so.....does UConn going the BE hurt/help/neither of getting a game against them?....
Neither. The games isn’t ever going to happen as long as Dan is their coach. Dan doesn’t want the emotion of playing Rhody. I don’t blame him.
Arrogant Haystack Calhoun still has a lot of stroke there, so as long as he's around it won't happen ... unless it would be a guaranteed squash.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s impossible to not love Cyril, also gotta love the alumni clips mixed in-

Also, I know I’m a sentimental fool, but it was nice seeing those social media posts with Hassan, EC, Andre. Nicola, Jeff, and Cyril out together and catching up.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

With UConn football independent at least short term URI might be able to get on their schedule again, which would be good.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Boy, if JD makes a full transition to the 2, watch out.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago Boy, if JD makes a full transition to the 2, watch out.
I was thinking the same thing...tho he is entering his senior year I do think we are going to see a whole different level of Dowtin this season.
Last year was like an entirely new role for him, almost a complete 180 from the role he played Year 1 and 2. Now with a year under his belt, and with the work ethic he has I feel like he is going to have a monster 2019-20.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Agree with all that, bar. Dowtin is a special player, in part because he’s the type of guy who could be a leader as a freshman on an experienced team. Last year was definitely a transition- personally, he was without some of the guys he was tight with the years before. On the court, the talent and, more importantly, the experience wasn’t what it had been. We saw and heard some of his frustration. The current roster is older but still a little thin in guys who have come up through the program and experienced the recent successes. Dowtin bridges that gap beautifully, with who he is as a person and player. Different presentation, but he has that Jared Terrell competitiveness and fearlessness that is tough to teach.

I also love that he generally looks pissed off most of the time he’s playing. They need to get their seniors back to the tournament.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago Agree with all that, bar. Dowtin is a special player, in part because he’s the type of guy who could be a leader as a freshman on an experienced team. Last year was definitely a transition- personally, he was without some of the guys he was tight with the years before. On the court, the talent and, more importantly, the experience wasn’t what it had been. We saw and heard some of his frustration. The current roster is older but still a little thin in guys who have come up through the program and experienced the recent successes. Dowtin bridges that gap beautifully, with who he is as a person and player. Different presentation, but he has that Jared Terrell competitiveness and fearlessness that is tough to teach.

I also love that he generally looks pissed off most of the time he’s playing. They need to get their seniors back to the tournament.
I think Jeff’s drive and Sr urgency to get back to the Tournament he will have an impact on all of the rotational players. He is going to demand their level of effort, focus and attention to detail.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Akele definitely looks bigger than his last season here.

Great to see these guys back on campus and working out with the team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Nicola is back for his last year of eligibility...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago Akele definitely looks bigger than his last season here.

Great to see these guys back on campus and working out with the team.
I thought that was Harris at first glance.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thorr, what are you doing with all that money 😳
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Good to see former Rhody players still see Kingston as home. They are always welcome here.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Glad they got a good beach day before next week when it’s tourist central around town.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gotta love the tourists! Thankful every day to live in an area that people spend a lotta money to go to to vacation!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Calling Akele a “Rhody great” is laugh out loud funny.
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Gotta love the tourists! Thankful every day to live in an area that people spend a lotta money to go to to vacation!

Waiting for Labor Day here! :D
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

What do you want him to do say Rhody greats and Nicola Akele? Let’s single out a former player and say “you are not that good”. He mentioned them as a collective group of great Rhody MBB alumni. We all know who the stars where in the group. It’s good PR for Coach Cox and Rhody MBB. They are selling “family” and show all of these former players that play all over the world returning to Kingston. It’s great.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, Andre was a nice player his senior year, but hardly a Rhody great either. I just love that they all came back to work out with the team. That's a good thing.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Gotta love the tourists! Thankful every day to live in an area that people spend a lotta money to go to to vacation!

Having acknowledged loving the tourists...the day after Labor Day is one of my favorite beach days...
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Having acknowledged loving the tourists...the day after Labor Day is one of my favorite beach days...
Labor Day is my New Years equivalent.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

This is pretty rude. Nicola worked hard, was a good teammate, scholar athlete and was always ready to get in and work.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

LoveThoseRams, agree. Also the things you mention about Nik are what make him a Rhody great.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Maybe that picture is a secret reveal of the new coaching staff!

———

I love the sheer lunacy of a June bracket...

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

This is pretty rude. Nicola worked hard, was a good teammate, scholar athlete and was always ready to get in and work.
Would have loved to have had Akele on last seasons team.
Think preseason Akele’s loss was underestimated and the performance of those who would take his minutes was overestimated, including myself in that “overestimation”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I would've traded Thompson for Akele in a heartbeat.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Players like to video uncontested dunks
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

If I could do that...I'm not sure I'd ever do anything else.
Right now, I'm grillin' and having a beer. But, if I could dunk like that, that's what I'd be doing instead.