Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by TruePoint »

I guess I just don’t understand why they need to hold a spot for Carroll. If they really like Carroll and prefer him to be on the staff than whoever else they could bring in, then that is their prerogative. I just didn’t want to bring him back even before he got sick. I understand that complicates things, but if it is a loyalty or humanitarian issue, don’t fire him and move him to an administrative role. It is frustrating to me that the staff has to be short one guy because someone I don’t even want on the staff is not physically able to do his job. I don’t understand why he is occupying that spot.

Again, I understand this could sound cold but I honestly wanted the turnover on the staff in January, before there was an issue with his health. I’d be fully supportive of the university moving him into a non-coaching role until he is healthy enough to pursue other opportunities.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, yes this is what they should do....but actually doing it is another thing altogether.

The information lid is on tight.....as it normally is at URI.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

STC wrote: 4 years ago Let’s pump the brakes on TJ just a bit here. We’re acting like he was the lead on a Top 100 recruit. He was the lead on a guy who wasn’t even a Top 100 JUCO and ideally won’t get off the bench this year.

I’ll give him credit for being the lead and closing the deal, but let’s remember he beat out powerhouses like Nichols State, Wagner and Fairleigh Dickinson for Johnson.

TJ’s time will come but it is not now.
And St John's and St Joes. No need to be intentionally misleading
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I’m switching hats now. I’m am officially OK if Cox hires on TJ. If he’s hungry and is a go-getter, he will do whatever it takes to make a name not only for himself, but what the university represents.
If the one man David Cox PR firm is on board and changing his tune that means its likely happening so he is getting out in front of it now. :)
Please don’t believe that. I know zip about the coaching search.
haha too bad I thought maybe this meant TJ was going to be promoted. I love that guy and couldn't care less about what folks think is the right mix of experience, recruiting, X's and O's, scouting, blah blah blah. After giving us every bit of energy every single play for four rough years during our lowest point in recent program history, he got down on his knees and kissed the Ram on the floor on senior night. He gave us everything and then thanked us for the opportunity to do so. TJ will continue give us everything, he will work on his craft and become an outstanding coach. Keep him, promote him, keep him.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago

If the one man David Cox PR firm is on board and changing his tune that means its likely happening so he is getting out in front of it now. :)
haha too bad I thought maybe this meant TJ was going to be promoted. I love that guy and couldn't care less about what folks think is the right mix of experience, recruiting, X's and O's, scouting, blah blah blah. After giving us every bit of energy every single play for four rough years during our lowest point in recent program history, he got down on his knees and kissed the Ram on the floor on senior night. He gave us everything and then thanked us for the opportunity to do so. TJ will continue give us everything, he will work on his craft and become an outstanding coach. Keep him, promote him, keep him.
Totally agree. I was talking with him at the hotel after their A10 Tournament win over VCU. There is no doubt he is going to be successful. He is very humble.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago

If you want my .02, at this point, I believe he will be promoted.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Even UM Eastern Shore moves quicker than URI in hiring assistants 😳
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Assistant Coach hiring count down. It should be by Mon, July 2nd but I posted before the end of first week in July - So Friday, July 5th it is. 12 days to have three assistant positions filled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

83, so, what you're saying is "Thorr and Dooley are on the clock." ?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Three more recruiting periods before school starts in Sept where new assistant coaches could have an impact:
June 28-30 Evaluation at nonAAU approved locations (high school coaches’ events)
July 11-14 AAU events including Peach Jam (SC), Adidas Gauntlet Championship (Birmingham) & UA Challenge (Atlanta)
July 23-28 NCAA Development Camps (Evaluation Period) 4 locations (Houston, Champaign IL, Storrs & Phoenix)
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago 83, so, what you're saying is "Thorr and Dooley are on the clock." ?
Exactly and Coach Cox. I will do my Jon Rothstein impression with a daily count down :D
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Assistant Coach hiring count down. It should be by Mon, July 2nd but I posted before the end of first week in July - So Friday, July 5th it is. 12 days to have three assistant positions filled.
THREE Assistant positions filled? What did I miss? I thought it was Ty's and maybe Carroll's.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Assistant Coach hiring count down. It should be by Mon, July 2nd but I posted before the end of first week in July - So Friday, July 5th it is. 12 days to have three assistant positions filled.
THREE Assistant positions filled? What did I miss? I thought it was Ty's and maybe Carroll's.
Right, all three positions filled. Currently one position is filled ((Sutton). I didn’t want to say full staff because the DBO position could be open assuming TJ gets promoted to fill an assistant coaching position.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Every time I see a new post in here, I think that something might have been announced. Oh, well.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Every time I see a new post in here, I think that something might have been announced. Oh, well.
2 early
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Every time I see a new post in here, I think that something might have been announced. Oh, well.
Same.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

reckless jake wrote: 4 years ago
Same.
I hear Bob Sacamano might be in the running.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Same.
Had to Google. Then I remembered.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Same.
Lol... You just might be right!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interesting make up of new UMass staff - promoted DBO, career Prep School coach & Tyson. Then they add the former Dartmouth Head Coach as special assistant/chief of staff which is a non-coaching position. McCall was forced into all of this to keep his job. Does Thorr have any of that NCAA Tournament money or Hurley buyout money to put Carroll in that non-coaching position for a year? I am sure UMass donors funded that position.

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago 83, so, what you're saying is "Thorr and Dooley are on the clock." ?
Exactly and Coach Cox. I will do my Jon Rothstein impression with a daily count down :D
3 more hours...
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I got the date wrong for Monday but I stuck with end of the first week so Friday, July 5th.
The countdown is at FIVE days.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I got the date wrong for Monday but I stuck with end of the first week so Friday, July 5th.
I'm sure they appreciate the extra time?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Same.
He came in for an interview, but all he did was sit around in a chair by a window going, "My name is Bob!"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Can they get until Monday since Thursday in July 4th?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Can they get until Monday since Thursday in July 4th?
Not my call. Need to ask 83.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Haha. Are you asking for a friend 😜
Any new outside coach needs to be in place next week to get up to speed in meetings on ‘20, ‘21 & ‘22 prospects for the July recruiting period. Need 4 coaches on the road July 1-14 and July 23-28
July 1-5 on campus visits only
July 6-10 dead period.
July 11-14 AAU events including Peach Jam (SC), Adidas Gauntlet Championship (Birmingham) & UA Challenge (Atlanta)
July 15-22 dead period
July 23-28 NCAA Development Camps (Evaluation Period) 4 locations (Houston, Champaign IL, Storrs & Phoenix)
July 29-31 dead period
Aug 1-Sept 8 on campus visits only. Typically no on campus visits occur in August because current players aren’t on campus
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Today is the 1st day of the new contract year.

Why should they wait until the 5th or next week to announce anything?

The foot dragging is getting very annoying.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Today is the 1st day of the new contract year.

Don't blame me...83 gave 'em til Thursday or Friday....
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I get that you’re annoyed, but when they announce it to the public has very little impact on anything.
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Don't know if anyone else can confirm but I am hearing John Carroll is back with the team
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When they announce it is irrelevant, but there has been no evidence that there is, in fact, a full staff in place.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

I get that you’re annoyed, but when they announce it to the public has very little impact on anything.
Ty’s contract expired May 31st.
Agree on public timing. Sutton and Carroll were working before July 1st last year. Both were announced on Monday, July 2nd. The difference is there isn’t a new assistant coach working now. TJ is acting Assistant Coach. They are recruiting short one coach and one DBO.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago When they announce it is irrelevant, but there has been no evidence that there is, in fact, a full staff in place.
There is not a full staff in place. That is confirmed.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago

Same.
He came in for an interview, but all he did was sit around in a chair by a window going, "My name is Bob!"
Bob doesn’t play like that. 😂
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 4 years ago Don't know if anyone else can confirm but I am hearing John Carroll is back with the team
Physically participating?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 4 years ago Don't know if anyone else can confirm but I am hearing John Carroll is back with the team
Unconfirmed.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He wasn’t as of Sunday. Unless he showed up yesterday.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago When they announce it is irrelevant, but there has been no evidence that there is, in fact, a full staff in place.
Yes, I agree.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
e

Yes, I agree.
The whole thing is very aggravating. As I mentioned many weeks ago if Carroll wants to come back they are welcoming him-I have no idea why, but this what I heard. He really doesn’t bring much to the table. Between finalizing our schedule and getting our assistants in place every year we seem to move at a turtles pace.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How many D-1 basketball schools do not have a full coaching staff right now?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago How many D-1 basketball schools do not have a full coaching staff right now?
A lot of teams have already released their schedule.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago How many D-1 basketball schools do not have a full coaching staff right now?
A lot of teams have already released their schedule.
I'm guessing it's hard for a head coach to finalize a schedule when he has to be out recruiting.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not sure what type of indication it is, but on Hoopdirt.com many schools list jobs available. DePaul is the only school I see with an assistant job available the is D -1, its mostly D-3 or NAIA . The d-1 schools beside Depaul that are listed are looking for a DOB, video coordinator or something like that.
I know many do not think it makes a difference or do not care about assistants, but I am one that believes its imperative to have a staff in place at this point. As everything else I have seen at URI for 40 years, there is always some ridiculous rule or catch that only happens here.

I have great faith in coach Cox, but I can't believe he is happy with having to do everything at this point
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Up until today, it seems, LSU also had an incomplete staff...

Yes, I know it's different than an assistant coach; I'm just posting because of the job title.

Assistant to the Regional Manager.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm starting to think maybe we do have a complete coaching staff. Carroll back and TJ already promoted to Ty's spot.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I'm starting to think maybe we do have a complete coaching staff. Carroll back and TJ already promoted to Ty's spot.
Then we need a DBO.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I'm starting to think maybe we do have a complete coaching staff. Carroll back and TJ already promoted to Ty's spot.
Then we need a DBO.
Yep, this is true.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

July 1 was beginning of FY. They just posted Ty's job.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago July 1 was beginning of FY. They just posted Ty's job.
Bingo.