2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago So we really need two more games to hit the desired 31, right?
yes. Just a reminder URI could've scheduled 31 games last year and only scheduled 30.
You are correct. There is one exception - URI could’ve played one additional game on the Hawaii trip. I don’t know if the game had to be in Hawaii or could’ve been on the west coast on the way out or on the return.
I don't think that was the case last year. The Diamond Head Classic was only a three game MTE tournament. I think that meant 30 games was the max. I think the MTE has to be four games like the Jamaica Classic to allow 31.
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

yes. Just a reminder URI could've scheduled 31 games last year and only scheduled 30.
You are correct. There is one exception - URI could’ve played one additional game on the Hawaii trip. I don’t know if the game had to be in Hawaii or could’ve been on the west coast on the way out or on the return.
I don't think that was the case last year. The Diamond Head Classic was only a three game MTE tournament. I think that meant 30 games was the max. I think the MTE has to be four games like the Jamaica Classic to allow 31.
RF1,
If I remember right there was a game change or some type of cancellation related to the Diamond Gead and URI rejected the option due to the existing schedule - it just didn’t fit in well so we rejected it. That would have been Game 31. I seem to remember you questioning last season why we were not playing the 31 game allowance and settling for 30

I hope this year we go for all 31 potential games. Still two to schedule.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

RF1,
If I remember right there was a game change or some type of cancellation related to the Diamond Gead and URI rejected the option due to the existing schedule - it just didn’t fit in well so we rejected it. That would have been Game 31. I seem to remember you questioning last season why we were not playing the 31 game allowance and settling for 30

I hope this year we go for all 31 potential games. Still two to schedule.
I do not recall questioning the number of games last year as I knew the Diamond Head Classic was only three games and the max of 30 with this scenario was scheduled. I however do remember issues the year before (2017-18) when URI was in the NIT Season Tipoff and played just 29 games when 31 was allowed. That tourney had a D2 Oakland City College (small Indiana religious school) as a participant that Rhody would match up with. URI chose not to play them and forgo a game. Only played one home game vs UNC-Asheville and two in Brooklyn vs Seton Hall and Virginia. I understood not playing a D2 opponent as it would not have had any bearing in the computer RPI numbers. I was more upset with the tournament for not being able to field all D1 teams and basically screwing URI. I however was upset that URI did not schedule another non tournament OOC game that it had full control of. In the end, playing two less games that season did not matter as Rhody ended up with an incredibly strong SOS and great record that guaranteed an at large NCAA bid.

The 2016-17 season was another year where I believe URI could have played 31 games as it played in the four game HOF Tip-Off at Mohegan Sun. It did play four tournament games vs D1 teams (Marist and Brown in Kingston and Cincinnati and Duke in Uncasville). Rhody however played just 30 games.

URI played four games in the Cancun Challenge (2 at home and 2 in Cancun) back in 2015-16 and scheduled 31 games that season.

Hurley had several seasons where he did not play the maximum numbers of games that would have been allowed (along with playing a non D1 Pace one year). I complained each year it occurred as I felt available opportunities were being wasted.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All I know is last season''s schedule was the worst. We played Bryant, Harvard, Stony Brook and Brown in November at home. Brown was Nov 28. We didn't have a home game until Dec 30, 32 days later vs Middle Tennessee.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago All I know is last season''s schedule was the worst. We played Bryant, Harvard, Stony Brook and Brown in November at home. Brown was Nov 28. We didn't have a home game until Dec 30, 32 days later vs Middle Tennessee.
That was a DROUGHT.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
theblueram wrote: 5 years ago All I know is last season''s schedule was the worst. We played Bryant, Harvard, Stony Brook and Brown in November at home. Brown was Nov 28. We didn't have a home game until Dec 30, 32 days later vs Middle Tennessee.
That was a DROUGHT.
Now that the season starts the first week of Nov we could see a Dec drought more often. Many factors:
1) 4 game Dec Tournament
2) time off for exams
3) required 3 days of (players can go home)
4) every other year PC game away in Dec
5) more games in Nov due to early start
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't understand the constant obsession with playing the maximum number of games. Is another home win against Maine or whoever going to be the difference between getting into the tournament or not? Give me quality games over just hitting the max every single year.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

This year, for a team with 6 newcomers (accounting for half the roster) I don't think it would hurt us to play a couple more competitive early season games. While the games themselves may not help our tournament resume per se, they'll give our guys a chance to play together before we play games that will impact our opportunity to make the tournament.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I don't understand the constant obsession with playing the maximum number of games. Is another home win against Maine or whoever going to be the difference between getting into the tournament or not? Give me quality games over just hitting the max every single year.
Looking at it from a season ticket holder's perspective, the price of season tickets are the same whether there are 14, 15 or 16 home games.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I don't understand the constant obsession with playing the maximum number of games. Is another home win against Maine or whoever going to be the difference between getting into the tournament or not? Give me quality games over just hitting the max every single year.
Looking at it from a season ticket holder's perspective, the price of season tickets are the same whether there are 14, 15 or 16 home games.
That's fair, I was thinking of it just from a team success perspective. As a season ticket value perspective it makes a difference.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago This year, for a team with 6 newcomers (accounting for half the roster) I don't think it would hurt us to play a couple more competitive early season games. While the games themselves may not help our tournament resume per se, they'll give our guys a chance to play together before we play games that will impact our opportunity to make the tournament.
I guess, but I feel like the difference is probably negligible.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

A few extra games to have something to look forward to, IMO.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This. I don't care if they schedule cupcakes, but I want the full slate of games. We need two more AT HOME GAMES!!!!!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Two more home games generates revenue which can be used for the program.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Two more home games generates revenue which can be used for the program.
Something we never seem to have enough of.... Revenue
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The writing is on the wall concerning mid majors...only a matter of time, sad to say.

Eventually the non P5 conferences will end up like football....FBS and FCS.

I would like to think the NCAA won't go along with this, since it will completely screw with the golden goose that's the NCAA tournament.....but they'll find a way.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

When was the last time we were bought for a game? I can't remember.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago When was the last time we were bought for a game? I can't remember.
Auburn?

Is Maryland a buy game?
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago When was the last time we were bought for a game? I can't remember.
I believe LSU in the 2013-14 season is the correct answer. That's just from flipping through the past few schedules. Want to say URI made $80K playing (and winning) that game.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

What to make of the A-10 schedule pairings
Rhode Island can beef up its resume should an at-large bid be needed.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/6/ ... n-sbu-rams
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I know it’s been previously posted that Samford and UMBC
Are the last 2 teams to be added to make 8 total teams, however, I have continued to see only 6 teams listed on the Tournament Website

Today I inquired to the Tournament about the final 2 teams and response was they were still in progress.....I also asked about the Game Schedule release timing.

We are finalizing the remaining 2 teams and will likely have the schedule announced later into the Summer. All teams play on both Friday and Sunday of the Tournament (November 22, 24).
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago The writing is on the wall concerning mid majors...only a matter of time, sad to say.

Eventually the non P5 conferences will end up like football....FBS and FCS.

I would like to think the NCAA won't go along with this, since it will completely screw with the golden goose that's the NCAA tournament.....but they'll find a way.
Obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt has one job: Keep The Cartel pacified.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To this point, in 20-21, the Big East, ACC, PAC-12, and the Big Ten will all be playing 20 game conference schedules. The set-up with the Mountain West conference is a good start, and URI has at least positioned themselves to get a favorable match-up in those kind of arrangements.

Arizona State released their OOC schedule yesterday, and they actually have away games scheduled with Princeton and San Francisco (last year’s was cancelled), but games like that are really rare.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
To this point, in 20-21, the Big East, ACC, PAC-12, and the Big Ten will all be playing 20 game conference schedules. The set-up with the Mountain West conference is a good start, and URI has at least positioned themselves to get a favorable match-up in those kind of arrangements.

Arizona State released their OOC schedule yesterday, and they actually have away games scheduled with Princeton and San Francisco (last year’s was cancelled), but games like that are really rare.
Which is a shame Ace.
To true fans of the game, and not just Their own team (URI) the best part of the season can be the OOC games. ASU going on the road to play Princeton and San Francisco is great for the College Game. The game needs more of that, not less

P5 and NBE Conferences going to 20 game schedules when I look at the big picture makes me think:
- the power conferences are exercising their power
- they are making the overall 352 team D1 more boring and less interesting
- they are being selfish
- they are being even more scared to go on the road and play non conf teams
- they are moving the game more towards 2 divisions like FBS and FCS
- it’s like I’m taking my ball and going home
- Rothstein can say it’s a changing of the guard, it is, but not in a good way for the College Basketball purist unfortunately.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

But...for the P5's...it makes great bu$ine$$ $en$e, doesn't it? ....or, it wouldn't be happening, would it?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes it does, in the short and medium term
But what makes college basketball so great is that 353 teams have a chance. You have the Cinderella stories come March Madness time And you have the Cinderella stories in OOC time of year

But Gardner Webb beats Kentucky let’s say, then they change the Tournament so that a Gardner Webb still can’t get to a OOC tournament final because they change the schedule. Like in Jamaica, instead of Utah State and LSU having to win to get to the Finals they have the games already planned out. It’s now a winners bracket tournament. NC A&T can’t possibly win the Jamaica Classic as there are divisions.

I hate seeing teams going to 20 conference games. It makes me love the college game less. Another step towards taking away David vs Goliath type opportunities which people instinctively love to see.

Big East has gotten more and more boring over the last decade. No where near the intrigue and excitement of 10-15 years ago. Now 20 games? Snoozer.
bigpops65
Jim Eitner

Unread post by bigpops65 »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I heard the Providence game will be Friday "night" Dec 6 at 5pm. Seems quite insane if that is indeed true. Thoughts?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigpops65 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure if this has been brought up, but I heard the Providence game will be Friday "night" Dec 6 at 5pm. Seems quite insane if that is indeed true. Thoughts?
Yes it’s true
If you go back to page 7 you can read the discussion on this Friday night game
Kevin MAC said fans would be lubed up and a lot of discussion followed. It was about 3-4 weeks ago
bigpops65
Jim Eitner

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
bigpops65 wrote: 4 years ago Not sure if this has been brought up, but I heard the Providence game will be Friday "night" Dec 6 at 5pm. Seems quite insane if that is indeed true. Thoughts?
Yes it’s true
Kevin MAC said fans would be lubed up and a lot of discussion followed. It was about 3-4 weeks ago
I remember that talk; I meant to emphasize the 5PM start time, if true. Seems extremely early for a Friday, no?
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

The 5pm start can’t be correct assuming this game will be televised.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Half day at work - game over by 7:30, could be an epic night!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

5 o'clock? No way for me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigpops65 wrote: 4 years ago
Yes it’s true
I remember that talk; I meant to emphasize the 5PM start time, if true. Seems extremely early for a Friday, no?
Then my next thought is where did you hear this? What is the source?
Never have heard of a 5pm start for any game on a weeknight.
I doubt this is true and no need to discuss until verified, and even then nothing anyone can do about it, except be there at 5pm because regardless the time it will sell out.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago

Which is a shame Ace.
To true fans of the game, and not just Their own team (URI) the best part of the season can be the OOC games. ASU going on the road to play Princeton and San Francisco is great for the College Game. The game needs more of that, not less

P5 and NBE Conferences going to 20 game schedules when I look at the big picture makes me think:
- the power conferences are exercising their power
- they are making the overall 352 team D1 more boring and less interesting
- they are being selfish
- they are being even more scared to go on the road and play non conf teams
- they are moving the game more towards 2 divisions like FBS and FCS
- it’s like I’m taking my ball and going home
- Rothstein can say it’s a changing of the guard, it is, but not in a good way for the College Basketball purist unfortunately.
Teams need to schedule their most competitive, exciting schedule possible. Here is an example for you -- PC played UMASS in 2012 in a preseason tournament. UMASS had a decent team (Chaz), and there were many people who left saying "If UMASS has a decent team and they're local, why do we have to travel Puerto Rico to play them?" So PC and UMASS began a series of home and home games. The first year was a game at UMASS, a game where UMASS was ranked and won in OT. The next 5 years UMASS has had the following KenPom's --- 125, 167, 158, 207, and 236. PC looked at it and said "We wanted a competitive series, and this is not helping us," and that was that.

That said, I don't think the change is that drastic as people are making it seem. If a non-P5 is a consistently competitive program, they will continue to be able to find solid games. If a team is not consistently performing, they are going to struggle just like they are now to land marquee opponents. There is nothing wrong with conferences and teams wanting to be able to field the best schedule possible with as little risk as possible. That's why this has happened.
bigpops65
Jim Eitner

Yes it’s true
I doubt this is true and no need to discuss until verified, and even then nothing anyone can do about it, except be there at 5pm because regardless the time it will sell out.
I heard it from a Friar season ticket holder who heard it from the Friar Ticket Office.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I heard it from a Friar season ticket holder who heard it from the Friar Ticket Office.
Love it. Not sure I believe it or not...but love it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

How many working people can make a 5 o'clock game?
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago How many working people can make a 5 o'clock game?
not many...however if you have some PTO to use, take a 1/2 day. thats prob gonna be my plan
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RJ, a couple of things about your post.
What has PC’s record been against that lowly rated UMass team?
If the P5 & BE teams all add two more conference games they have to come from somewhere.
Their goal is to limit quality OOC wins for the mid majors so they can get more at large bids for their conference.
Those at large bids aren’t coming from low rated mid majors (UMass in your example).
They are trying to hurt the competition for at large bids by not playing them.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

83 agree,..............absolutely true......and even more money into their pockets
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago RJ, a couple of things about your post.
If the P5 & BE teams all add two more conference games they have to come from somewhere.
Their goal is to limit quality OOC wins for the mid majors so they can get more at large bids for their conference.
Those at large bids aren’t coming from low rated mid majors (UMass in your example).
PCs record was not good - all in I believe they were 3-4 including the Puerto Rico game in 2012.
That said, it’s somewhat irrelevant. The goal is to put together the best schedule possible.
If a series you want to be Q1/Q2 is typically Q3/Q4, you need to re-evaluate that series.
I’ve always said that teams that have competitive conferences top-to-bottom should not be penalized for it.
Teams should aspire to have a conference like that, and pressure their peers to get there.
It’s possible - The A10 just hasn’t figured out how to dump the dead weight.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
PCs record was not good - all in I believe they were 3-4 including the Puerto Rico game in 2012.
That said, it’s somewhat irrelevant. The goal is to put together the best schedule possible.
If a series you want to be Q1/Q2 is typically Q3/Q4, you need to re-evaluate that series.
I’ve always said that teams that have competitive conferences top-to-bottom should not be penalized for it.
Teams should aspire to have a conference like that, and pressure their peers to get there.
What Conference has? Do you have any examples from conferences that have dropped teams? Which conference and which teams?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
If eventually all your Q1/Q2 games are just against conference opponents then how do you know all those teams are really Q1/Q2? It is an exclusionary process. In business anticompetitive practices are against the law.

In my opinion teams finishing 7-11 and worse in the P5/BE don’t deserve an NCAA Tournament at large bid unless they have some great OOC wins.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

For real... is the start time? That means they open the doors at 3:30pm. The RC opens doors 1.5hrs prior for a marquee game like this. I don’t even know what I’m doing tomorrow let alone that Friday but I am definitely accommodating that start time (hopefully). I’d rather see it be a 7pm for all our sake.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If this strange and inconvenient PC start time is true, it means the game is likely to be on ESPN with the network picking that day and time. There is no other reason why URI (with PC consent) would ever agree to a Friday 5pm start for this game. Rhody and PC would not be doing this for either the CBSSN or NBCSN.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think they are predicting heavy snow to start at 8pm that night so they moved the time up.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’m running with ESPN theory.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Does ESPN normally push for 500 pm est games on Fridays?? I’d be shocked if the 500 start happens.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Does ESPN normally push for 500 pm est games on Fridays?? I’d be shocked if the 500 start happens.
5, 7, 9, 11.

Makes sense to me.