2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019-20 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by RF1 »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

SLU gets an even home and home. URI could only get two 2-1 deals with BC.
Both are Catholic Schools - no surprise
They're even closer than that... they're two of the 28 member Association of Jesuit Colleges & Universities.

If you are however talking literally in a geography sense, URI and BC are far closer.

URI to BC 76 miles
SLU to BC 1,188 miles
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Both are Catholic Schools - no surprise
They're even closer than that... they're two of the 28 member Association of Jesuit Colleges & Universities.

If you are however talking literally in a geography sense, URI and BC are far closer.

URI to BC 76 miles
SLU to BC 1,188 miles
Obviously, I wasn't talking "close" in a geographic sense. I'm pretty sure you knew that.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI to BC 76 miles
SLU to BC 1,188 miles
Obviously, I wasn't talking "close" in a geographic sense. I'm pretty sure you knew that.

Wasn't implying that. Just have an issue with any notion that an even series between SLU and BC somehow makes more sense than it would between URI and BC.

While SLU and BC may have a common Jesuit heritage, URI and BC are located just 76 miles apart and have far more interaction and shared athletics history. The URI men have played 51 hoops games versus BC all time dating back to 1911. SLU and BC men's basketball teams have met just three times (all since 2007). In addition, URI has and continues to frequently play BC in many other sports while that is not the case with SLU.

URI should never had agreed to a 2-1 series with BC, let alone do it twice. I would hope it would never make that mistake again.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rothstein doesn’t have this right per my sources. BC vs SLU series is part of a tournament which happens to start in Boston.

BC has few options for true non conf games, given their ACC 20 game schedule and their MTE tournaments each year. So I heard BC and URI just didn’t have same dates available this upcoming season or next.

Teams are continuing to work together and may possibly do a secret scrimmage this year site TBD.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I don't remember two 2-1 series with BC. I remember 1 when Al Skinner was here, then a home and home later. I went to one of them with ATP! Of course, I could just be remembering it wrong. I do remember pregaming at CitySide with some of you for one of them.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I don't remember two 2-1 series with BC. I remember 1 when Al Skinner was here, then a home and home later. I went to one of them with ATP! Of course, I could just be remembering it wrong. I do remember pregaming at CitySide with some of you for one of them.
There were two separate contract series with games three straight seasons started while Skinner was at BC. First started in 2005 and the second in 2009. Total of four games at Conte Forum and two at the Ryan Center. URI split the series 3-3 despite BC having 2x more home games.

URI-BC Series since 1992
First game was the NIT 2OT thriller. The next six games were the two three game series
Screenshot_2019-06-18 URI MBB_Record_Book pdf.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Last year’s conference pairings were announced on June 13. Are we going to get them this week?

Dayton, Davidson, VCU, UMass, and La Salle again? Switch out St. Joe’s maybe?

St. Joe’s games are going to seem so strange this year.
Welp, we did not get them.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College Sports Madness is back with their Top 144 countdown of teams for 2019-20. URI opponents listed to date:

#143 St Louis / #6 Atlantic 10 https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17581
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago I don't remember two 2-1 series with BC. I remember 1 when Al Skinner was here, then a home and home later. I went to one of them with ATP! Of course, I could just be remembering it wrong. I do remember pregaming at CitySide with some of you for one of them.
There were two separate contract series with games three straight seasons started while Skinner was at BC. First started in 2005 and the second in 2009. Total of four games at Conte Forum and two at the Ryan Center. URI split the series 3-3 despite BC having 2x more home games.

URI-BC Series since 1992
First game was the NIT 2OT thriller. The next six games were the two three game series
Screenshot_2019-06-18 URI MBB_Record_Book pdf.png
Thanks RF1...I didn't remember the 2nd set being a 2 for 1. Back then I wasn't as plugged into following in the off season as I am now or was before the Baron error, so I probably didn't notice when that 2nd 2 for 1 was inked - I certainly would have bitched about it. You take 2 for 1s with teams like Duke, UNC, etc (actually you take the single road game with those programs). BC isn't a program you should settle for a 2-1 with. The game I went to with ATP was the 1st in that 2nd set. It was a fun game. The 6 games were all bunched together in a less 7 year span! It was great to see us sweep the 2nd set after being swept by the first. I was also at the NIT game back in '92! That was fun!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

A10 Conference pairings for 2019/20 season to be announced at 2 pm today.
I'm hoping we play VCU, Davidson and Dayton twice.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhode Island
Home: Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, VCU
Away: Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, VCU
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Perfect
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Looks like rhody and vcu have toughest home+homes.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Only real negative is getting St. Bonnies away vs. a H/H or H. That said, with an unbalanced schedule having a H/H with a weak team or two (UMass + St. Joe's) offsets the challenge of getting a shot at VCU, Dayton, and Davidson twice.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Some nice home games. I selfishly love that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone know if the two games at the RC that are part of Jamaican Classic are considered tournament games by the NCAA? I believe the scheduling rule limitation is 29 games or 27 games plus 4 games in one tournament. Currently Rhody home schedule has 3 OOC, 2 Jamaican Classic & 9 A10 = 14; away schedule has 4 OOC, 2 games in Jamaica & 9 A10 = 15. Total 29 games. If JC games at RC are considered tournament games, Rhody can still schedule 2 more OOC games. They could get to 31 games.

Last year they played 30 games. Home 13 games. Neutral 5 games (WVU and 4 in Hawaii). Away 12.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The full 2019-20 conference schedule for all A-10 schools per the league press release:

Davidson
Home: George Mason, La Salle, Massachusetts, Saint Louis, Fordham, Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, VCU
Away: Dayton, Duquesne, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Fordham, Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, VCU

Dayton
Home: Davidson, Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, VCU
Away: George Mason, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, VCU

Duquesne
Home: Davidson, George Mason, La Salle, Richmond, Dayton, Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis
Away: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s, VCU, Dayton, Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis

Fordham
Home: George Mason, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, Davidson, Duquesne, George Washington, La Salle, St. Bonaventure
Away: Dayton, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, VCU, Davidson, Duquesne, George Washington, La Salle, St. Bonaventure

George Mason
Home: Dayton, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, George Washington, Massachusetts, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, VCU
Away: Davidson, Duquesne, Fordham, La Salle, George Washington, Massachusetts, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, VCU

George Washington
Home: Davidson, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, Richmond, St. Bonaventure
Away: Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Louis, VCU, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, Richmond, St. Bonaventure

La Salle
Home: Dayton, George Mason, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Fordham, Massachusetts, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis
Away: Davidson, Duquesne, George Washington, Rhode Island, Fordham, Massachusetts, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis

Massachusetts
Home: Duquesne, George Washington, Saint Joseph’s, VCU, Dayton, George Mason, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Louis
Away: Davidson, Fordham, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Dayton, George Mason, La Salle, Rhode Island, Saint Louis

Rhode Island
Home: Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, VCU
Away: Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, VCU

Richmond
Home: Dayton, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, La Salle, VCU
Away: Duquesne, Fordham, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, La Salle, VCU

St. Bonaventure
Home: Davidson, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Dayton, La Salle, Saint Louis, VCU, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, Saint Joseph’s

Saint Joseph’s
Home: Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, VCU, Davidson, La Salle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis
Away: George Mason, George Washington, Massachusetts, Richmond, Davidson, La Salle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis

Saint Louis
Home: Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Davidson, George Mason, Rhode Island, Richmond, Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s

VCU
Home: Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton, George Mason, Rhode Island, Richmond
Away: La Salle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, Davidson, Dayton, George Mason, Rhode Island, Richmond
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know if the two games at the RC that are part of Jamaican Classic are considered tournament games by the NCAA? I believe the scheduling rule limitation is 29 games or 27 games plus 4 games in one tournament. Currently Rhody home schedule has 3 OOC, 2 Jamaican Classic & 9 A10 = 14; away schedule has 4 OOC, 2 games in Jamaica & 9 A10 = 15. Total 29 games. If JC games at RC are considered tournament games, Rhody can still schedule 2 more OOC games. They could get to 31 games.

Last year they played 30 games. Home 13 games. Neutral 5 games (WVU and 4 in Hawaii). Away 12.

Based on past similar scenario (with home games) participation in past tournaments, I expect that all four games will count as exempt tournament games. This should allow URI to play 31 games.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We are playing 30 games plus one exhibition.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago We are playing 30 games plus one exhibition.
If so, why is URI once again electing not to play the maximum number of games allowed?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Under the new rules, teams can play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament for a maximum of 31 games. Conference and other postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Under the new rules, teams can play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament for a maximum of 31 games. Conference and other postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.
That is correct.
Maybe the exhibition game counts as a game but I don’t think so. The gorhody.com article could be wrong with the maximum games possible comment. I just checked several teams last year and they played 31 regular season games.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Assuming they are playing 30 games. They have 14 home games identified (3 OOC, 2 JC, 9 A10), 13 away games (4 OOC, 9 A10) & 2 neutral site (Jamaica). That leaves one more game to schedule (home hopefully).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The exhibition games don't count in the total. They get 31 games and two games either exhibitions or closed scrimmages. We need one more game. At home.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

And my bet is that it is factually wrong. Would not be the first nor last error in a URI athletics press release.

Check out the 31 game schedule these teams will play this upcoming season:

Xavier
https://goxavier.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=282
They will play four teams from the Charleston Classic (Missouri St at home and three games in Charleston)

UNLV
https://unlvrebels.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1381

Butler
https://butlersports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
4 game tournament with two home and two away
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I want one more home game to make up for that disaster last year.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I want one more home game to make up for that disaster last year.
To get to 31 games they can add two more home games.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I want one more home game to make up for that disaster last year.
worst ever
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
They're only at 29 games right now?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
They're only at 29 games right now?
Yes. 14+13+2=29

They have 14 home games identified (3 OOC, 2 JC, 9 A10), 13 away games (4 OOC, 9 A10) & 2 neutral site (Jamaica).
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Publicly known games as of 06-20-2019 (29)

HOME (14)
PC
Alabama
Western Kentucky
JC #1
JC #2
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

AWAY (13)
Brown
WVU
Maryland
Mid Tenn St
Fordham
George Mason
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

NEUTRAL IN JAMAICA (2)
JC #3 (vs LSU/USU/North Texas)
JC #4 (vs LSU/USU/North Texas)

One would reasonably expect that there are most probably 1-2 OOC games that have not yet been made public. One game gets the schedule to 30 total games and 2 if it were to happen would translate to the maximum allowed 31 games.

Owed current series return games at Harvard and at Florida Gulf Coast supposedly put off for future seasons
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

and 3 games in the DMV less than 30 mins from my house :D
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago and 3 games in the DMV less than 30 mins from my house :D
condolences on your locale.... ;)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
And my bet is that it is factually wrong. Would not be the first nor last error in a URI athletics press release.
Check out the 31 game schedule these teams will play this upcoming season:

Xavier
https://goxavier.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=282
They will play four teams from the Charleston Classic (Missouri St at home and three games in Charleston)

UNLV
https://unlvrebels.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1381

Butler
https://butlersports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
4 game tournament with two home and two away
There are two mistakes in the schedule release article.....

URI plays 9 conf road games. 5 are H-H returns with Dayton,VCU, Davidson,UMASS,St Joe. Article should say the final 4 road games - it leaves out St Bonaventure

The max games possible is 31 games, not 30. As several have stated previously, we can and should add two more games.

VCU, Davidson and Dayton - the top three teams in the league last year - are among the five home-and-away pairings for Rhode Island. URI also will travel to Saint Joseph's and UMass. The final three road games are at George Mason, Fordham and George Washington. Of those three, George Mason finished fifth in the league, while Fordham and George Washington were the two last-place teams in the final standings.

Rhode Island will play 30 games in the regular season, plus an exhibition game. With 26 individual games plus the four-game Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic, the Rams will play the maximum number of games possible.
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Seems to be room for a couple of OOC cupcakes. In the past we played teams like....
William & Mary
Iona
Marist
Holy Cross
Maine
UMass Lowell
Detroit
Vermont
New Hampshire
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Vermont is no cupcake.

Neither is Iona.

Either or both would be good adds though. Both at home of course.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

5 Thoughts On The 2019-2020 Atlantic 10 Conference Pairings

Rhode Island has an AMAZING opportunity

Rhody already had scheduled a non-conference slate that would give them a serious look at the NCAA Tournament should they prove themselves worthy. Their early-season games will include Alabama, Providence, Maryland, West Virginia, and a potential matchup against LSU in the Jamaica Classic. Playing VCU, Davidson, and Dayton twice in conference solidifies the opportunity to dance for the Rams. Now they just have to go out and win some games.

https://www.a10talk.com/5-thoughts-on-t ... -pairings/
steviep123
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago 5 Thoughts On The 2019-2020 Atlantic 10 Conference Pairings

Rhode Island has an AMAZING opportunity

Rhody already had scheduled a non-conference slate that would give them a serious look at the NCAA Tournament should they prove themselves worthy. Their early-season games will include Alabama, Providence, Maryland, West Virginia, and a potential matchup against LSU in the Jamaica Classic. Playing VCU, Davidson, and Dayton twice in conference solidifies the opportunity to dance for the Rams. Now they just have to go out and win some games.

https://www.a10talk.com/5-thoughts-on-t ... -pairings/
Good article. I fully agree that Dayton vs. Davidson should be twice as well. The league should have made it happen.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Publicly known games as of 06-20-2019 (29)

HOME (14)
PC
Alabama
Western Kentucky
JC #1
JC #2
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

AWAY (13)
Brown
WVU
Maryland
Mid Tenn St
Fordham
George Mason
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

NEUTRAL IN JAMAICA (2)

One would reasonably expect that there are most probably 1-2 OOC games that have not yet been made public. One game gets the schedule to 30 total games and 2 if it were to happen would translate to the maximum allowed 31 games.

Owed current series return games at Harvard and at Florida Gulf Coast supposedly put off for future seasons
RF1,
Does the agreement with Mountain West start in 2020 season? Or does it start this year?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

HOME (14)
PC
Alabama
Western Kentucky
JC #1
JC #2
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

AWAY (13)
Brown
WVU
Maryland
Mid Tenn St
Fordham
George Mason
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

NEUTRAL IN JAMAICA (2)

RF1,
Does the agreement with Mountain West start in 2020 season? Or does it start this year?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

HOME (14)
PC
Alabama
Western Kentucky
JC #1
JC #2
Duquesne
La Salle
Richmond
Saint Louis
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

AWAY (13)
Brown
WVU
Maryland
Mid Tenn St
Fordham
George Mason
George Washington
St. Bonaventure
Davidson
Dayton
Massachusetts
Saint Joseph’s
VCU

NEUTRAL IN JAMAICA (2)

RF1,

Atlantic 10, Mountain West Announce 2020-21 & 2021-22 Men's Basketball Challenge
http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.d ... =211784432

Only guaranteed for two seasons at this time. Option in place to extend for another two years if both leagues agree. Also keep in mind that the MWC only has 11 teams while the A-10 has 14. The agreement calls for just ten games/season which would mean four A-10 schools will not participate.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So we really need two more games to hit the desired 31, right?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago So we really need two more games to hit the desired 31, right?
yes. Just a reminder URI could've scheduled 31 games last year and only scheduled 30.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago So we really need two more games to hit the desired 31, right?
Yes. Known schedule currently does not have a true guaranteed home buy game. Not sure if there are any sort of guarantees associated with the Jamaica Classic but if there are, they are probably much less costly than a regular stand alone buy game. Therefore I think URI may possibly already have a buy game arranged but it just has not been made public. My guess is that the real question is whether there is another game which will get a 31 date schedule. URI has played less than the maximum number of games allowed several times in the last decade so it is no given. Rhody may not want to pay another guarantee, may also not want an opponent which might lower its NET rank, or may not be able to secure a agreeable team and terms.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

yes. Just a reminder URI could've scheduled 31 games last year and only scheduled 30.

I don't think that was the case last year. The Diamond Head Classic was only a three game MTE tournament. I think that meant 30 games was the max. I think the MTE has to be four games like the Jamaica Classic to allow 31.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

This schedule gives up a great chance to dance, but only if we produce solid wins. Playing potentially 9 Q1 games is huge for this team but we have to win a majority of those tough games, which means winning on the road which we already know is no easy task. I hope TJ is ready for game planning because we're going to need him to excel at it this year.

Do we dance with a 5-4 record against Q1 teams?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago This schedule gives up a great chance to dance, but only if we produce solid wins. Playing potentially 9 Q1 games is huge for this team but we have to win a majority of those tough games, which means winning on the road which we already know is no easy task. I hope TJ is ready for game planning because we're going to need him to excel at it this year.

Do we dance with a 5-4 record against Q1 teams?

Easily, if we dont stumble against weak teams too much