2019 Offseason Discussion

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Re: 2019 Offseason Discussion

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Hearing that two of our assistant jobs are available
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Post by Urifan91 » 23 hours ago

Rhody83 wrote: ↑1 day ago
Iggys
Twin Willows
Bon Vue
Beachcomber

Don’t think we ever went to Charlie O’s in college.
Pretty sure that back in the days of Iggy’s that what is now Charlie O’s was named The Point back then (also had pool tables but was more of a dive bar).

Sorry to go back off topic, but yes Charlie O's was the point for years. In my 5.5 years at URI from Sept of 88 to December of 94 we went to Charlie O's often. Used to love the Charlie O's Christmas party. Free food to eat and all drinks except Long Island Ice tea was free for 2 hours and then right after it the Bon Vue had it's Christmas party for 2 from 9 to 11. I hadn't been in Charlie O's in a number of years for a few reasons, but it had just gone down hill under Simon
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 5 years ago Hearing that two of our assistant jobs are available
:shock:
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah. Not ideal 10 days out from the next recruiting event.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ace wrote: 5 years ago Yeah. Not ideal 10 days out from the next recruiting event.
Perhaps not, but how I felt about the staff last season I’m not losing sleep over it. If you dare go back to the threads from February, staff turnover is one thing I had advocated for. Hopefully the timing doesn’t prevent them from finding quality candidates, but there are worse problems, IMO.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago Yeah. Not ideal 10 days out from the next recruiting event.
Perhaps not, but how I felt about the staff last season I’m not losing sleep over it. If you dare go back to the threads from February, staff turnover is one thing I had advocated for. Hopefully the timing doesn’t prevent them from finding quality candidates, but there are worse problems, IMO.
Sure there are worse problems, you could always be Fordham or something. It does suck to lose the relationships with recruits that may have been established, though. Hopefully new staff comes with some of their own.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyMadness072 wrote: 5 years ago Hearing that two of our assistant jobs are available
RM72 just joined the Board tonight. Breaking news with first post. Or is this your second account?
“We will be good when we are good.”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s probably not Rhody72... hasn’t been enough negativity or complaining.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

New staff need to be upgrades. Time to spend some of that NCAA money and make a big jump up in assistant coaching.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

2 new replacements would replace Carroll and Who ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Sure there are worse problems, you could always be Fordham or something. It does suck to lose the relationships with recruits that may have been established, though. Hopefully new staff comes with some of their own.
And the relationships and connections with high schools, prep schools and AAU programs. It sucks. Not good timing.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Carroll and Boswell, reef.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Agreed, there is a reason DH didn’t take Boswell with him to UCONN. Even with the Expressions connections. I’m excited to see what Cox does with a fresh slate and a staff that HE dictates.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What is scheduled at the Ryan Center? Players are practicing in Keaney.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Do we know why Boswell is apparently out?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Do we know why Boswell is apparently out?
That type of information would/should never be disclosed publicly. And if someone did know, it would be reckless for them to divulge that type of information on a public forum.

Ask someone “in the know” at the local pub.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Do we know why Boswell is apparently out?
That type of information would/should never be disclosed publicly. And if someone did know, it would be reckless for them to divulge that type of information on a public forum.

Ask someone “in the know” at the local pub.
Yeah, but Charlie O's is closed.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Agreed, there is a reason DH didn’t take Boswell with him to UCONN. Even with the Expressions connections. I’m excited to see what Cox does with a fresh slate and a staff that HE dictates.
Are you saying that retaining Boswell was forced on Cox when he was hired?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago What is scheduled at the Ryan Center? Players are practicing in Keaney.
It may be set up in advance for the numerous (6) high school graduations it will host over the next ten days. There is typically a stage and seating set up on the floor for these events.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There is some question as to whether the decision not to renew Boswell was Cox's, or the administration's.

I'm sure some people know.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm sad to see Boswell go. Admittedly I am sad to see basically anyone go.

However, if Boswell had anything to do with the demise of Charlie O's then good riddance.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 5 years ago

Are you saying that retaining Boswell was forced on Cox when he was hired?
No, I’m saying he was already here so why not maintain as much continuity as possible. If I’m a new HC, I’m not thinking to fire what remains of the staff. It’s more of a “let’s see how this goes”.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There is some question as to whether the decision not to renew Boswell was Cox's, or the administration's.

Ideally, I don’t think any HC would want to be down two positions at this point in the year.

Boswell was strictly a recruiter. Has no X’s and O’s or player development attributes. On the bench he served as nothing more than a “back patter” from my vantage point. He brought in one highly touted recruit in Jared. We all know that’s how he landed here in the first place. After that, the verdict is still out. We know he had a hand in Dana and Toppin’s recruitment. I think DC can find a better replacement who provides more “oomph”. Good luck to Ty.
Last edited by DC_Rams 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago What is scheduled at the Ryan Center? Players are practicing in Keaney.
Graduation for SK
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago There is some question as to whether the decision not to renew Boswell was Cox's, or the administration's.

Ideally, I don’t think any HC would want to be down two positions at this point in the year.

Boswell was strictly a recruiter. Has no X’s and O’s or player development attributes. On the bench he served as nothing more than a “back patter” from my vantage point. He brought in one highly touted recruit in Jared. We all know that’s how he landed here in the first place. After that, the verdict is still out. We know he had a hand in Dana and Toppin’s recruitment. I think DC can find a better replacement who provides more “oomph”. Good luck to Ty.
I'd say this is pretty spot on.

Assistants/staff are all on one year contracts. Anything can happen.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m not sure what they have planned with the two assistant positions, but hopefully they can at least lock up one coach in the next couple of weeks. They seemed to move at a snails pace on the last assistant coaching openings and at least from my point didn’t seem to knock it out of the park with Sutton or Carroll. I agree that Ty was strictly a recruiter and a guy seemed to be more of a friend to the players than a coach or teacher.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ty was not let go for his performance of his recruiting duties. If not for a second issue, Cox would’ve retained Ty as his lead recruiter. Let’s not paint a picture that he didn’t do a good job now that he is gone.
Ty was definitely one of the key reasons for Dana selecting URI. He was the lead on Mading and Toppin. Cox publicly gave Ty credit for the Toppin signing.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Ty was not let go for his performance of his recruiting duties. If not for a second issue, Cox would’ve retained Ty as his lead recruiter. Let’s not paint a picture that he didn’t do a good job now that he is gone.
Ty was definitely one of the key reasons for Dana selecting URI. He was the lead on Mading and Toppin. Cox publicly gave Ty credit for the Toppin signing.
Sutton was the lead for Mading. I’ve personally never thought much of him, so whether he stayed or went had no impact on me. I will ask what you consider a “good job”?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Ty was not let go for his performance of his recruiting duties. If not for a second issue, Cox would’ve retained Ty as his lead recruiter. Let’s not paint a picture that he didn’t do a good job now that he is gone.
Hammond, too. Ty was a part of almost everything that went on with recruiting, especially on campus visits and meeting up with recruits off campus during recruiting periods.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
Hammond, too. Ty was a part of almost everything that went on with recruiting, especially on campus visits and meeting up with recruits off campus during recruiting periods.
Not to sound snide, but what else was he supposed to do? He had ONE job, literally. He definitely helped build and maintain relationships. But any nice person off the street can do that. Again, I hope he lands on his feet, but we were definitely in need of a more impactful staff, around the board.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
I’m all for reasons 1 and 3, if it helps, and am kind of indifferent on reason 2.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hopefully we were the worst 3 point shooting team in the country because it was too close the whole time!
Last edited by adam914 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully, other teams' percentages will come down to where we are.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hopefully we can get a good recruiter in to replace Ty and a good x and o guy to replace Carroll
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Anxiously awaiting an official update to all this, hopefully next month...

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/roster

Just an additional recap from the recruiting thread-
ace wrote: 5 years ago For reference, given all the comings and goings-

Dowtin
Langevine

Russell
Sheppard

Harris
Martin
Tate
Walker

Hammond
Long
Toppin
(open)
(open)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Anxiously awaiting an official update to all this, hopefully next month...

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/roster

Just an additional recap from the recruiting thread-
ace wrote: 5 years ago For reference, given all the comings and goings-

Dowtin
Langevine

Russell
Sheppard

Harris
Martin
Tate
Walker

Hammond
Long
Toppin
(open)
(open)
The Women’s Team has had their 2019-20 Roster Updated since the new HC came in. As Coaching and Player Changes take place the roster gets quickly adjusted. Includes the incoming freshmen and the incoming transfers with more to come. If Women’s team can do it then why can’t the men? Just asking for a friend.

https://gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/2019-20/roster
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow.
That has to have just changed because I looked at Gorhody.com just before I posted, ad I am sure Ace did as well.
Great service!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Wow.
That has to have just changed because I looked at Gorhody.com just before I posted, ad I am sure Ace did as well.
Great service!
As I now go into Gorhody.com I still get last year’s roster, even though clicking on CamsRams new 2019-20 link I see the new one. Maybe just a timing thing but at any rate nice to see the updated roster today.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Coaching staff still hasn’t been updated.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow.
Great service!
As I now go into Gorhody.com I still get last year’s roster, even though clicking on CamsRams new 2019-20 link I see the new one. Maybe just a timing thing but at any rate nice to see the updated roster today.
I'm still getting the old one too.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

I think the old roster is still the one that’s up there but if you change the link to 19-20 you can get the updated view.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 5 years ago I think the old roster is still the one that’s up there but if you change the link to 19-20 you can get the updated view.
How do you change the link to 19-20? I can’t figure that out
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

CamsRams wrote: 5 years ago I think the old roster is still the one that’s up there but if you change the link to 19-20 you can get the updated view.
How do you change the link to 19-20? I can’t figure that out
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Can always simply change the numbers in the URL it self from the 2018-19 to 2019-20. That is what worked for me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Can always simply change the numbers in the URL it self from the 2018-19 to 2019-20. That is what worked for me.
Yes, that works for me. So somewhat discouraging that there is an updated roster out there but it is not an updated version on the Gorhody website, unlike the Women’s Team that does have an updated roster and quickly updates it with any player or coach changes.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, it was like that last year, too. I remember people being frustrated that the wrong head coach was still listed and then Shane commented about ease of updating on their end or something. You can find updated players, but it’s not complete with new numbers (or Jacob’s weight!) and the acting coaching staff, and it’s not the link provided when you google or move through the site from the main page.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When a roster change is made, then the roster should be adjusted in a timely manner, just like WBB is now doing
If a recruit committed for 2019 or transfer commits or anyone recommits then that should update the roster. Little things but easy to do and makes program look buttened up.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts workout video in Philly