The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2019

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago I'd like to see two transfer guards; one who can play right away and one who will play when Jeff graduates.
You are assuming another spot opens up then.

Cox has to be focused on making the NCAAs next year with Jeff and Cyril seniors. They need a shooter that can play next year.

This also gives them the chance to balance out their recruiting classes. Walker will be a Soph so that gives them 4 Soph.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago That didn't take long. Wish Omar the best wherever he ends up. I really hope we turn our attention to a guard who can play right away.
this, plus Desmond Cambridge.
We can't do this unless another player leaves. We only have one scholarship now that Omar is gone. We really need a guy that can play next year and who can make shots
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago

We were on him back in the day - insane athlete
41% from 3 last year and 45% the year before. Big guard too. Man .....
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago That didn't take long. Wish Omar the best wherever he ends up. I really hope we turn our attention to a guard who can play right away.
We can't do this unless another player leaves. We only have one scholarship now that Omar is gone. We really need a guy that can play next year and who can make shots
If we get a grad transfer for next year then that scholarship will free up again for next year
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We need an experienced guard, with a handle, that can shoot. Number 1 priority.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago

If we get a grad transfer for next year then that scholarship will free up again for next year
Cambridge won't come here to be a walk on next year for a future scholarship
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

For political and parochial reasons we would probably not want to reach out to Cambridge......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Still nothing on Tertsea? Kind of surprised if he stays.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Still nothing on Tertsea? Kind of surprised if he stays.
He’s not leaving.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Still nothing on Tertsea? Kind of surprised if he stays.
He’s not leaving.
we'll keep him for ballast chief.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So he will likely graduate after next season and move on then, I guess.

Would he even look to play somewhere else?

If he does leave, that would at least open up another spot for '20.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago So he will likely graduate after next season and move on then, I guess.

Would he even look to play somewhere else?

If he does leave, that would at least open up another spot for '20.
Does he even play?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he does look to try and play his 5th year somewhere else, I'm sure it will be at a lower level.
Nwizzzy1
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Nwizzzy1 »

Yes, Wishing Omar the best real liked the kid but this year he didn’t play out the way I thought he was going to be. Thought he was going to be a much better shooter off the bench.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Lol. That was in response to my question
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

We were on him back in the day - insane athlete
Section104
Art Stephenson

Whoops Ace beat me to it - seems like we have no competition at all for his services
steviep123
Sly Williams

So you’re telling me there’s a chance...
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They better get a commitment tomorrow or it’s like they’re not even trying to win.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Nwizzzy1 wrote: 5 years ago

Yes, Wishing Omar the best real liked the kid but this year he didn’t play out the way I thought he was going to be. Thought he was going to be a much better shooter off the bench.
I think Omar can play - he will get a shot at a slightly lower level. Good luck to him.

Also hoping this means that Mading is showing signs of being a player which would have been a sign to Omar that he would be fighting for minutes the rest of his time here.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The last several years there have been 700-800 transfers.
Out of the 228 players that have already declared they are transferring, 79 are eligible immediately.
Just sharing that stat to show there will probably be 200+ transfers immediately eligible.
Verbal Commits has the best Transfer Tracker in my opinion
Link
http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
Nwizzzy1 wrote: 5 years ago

I think Omar can play - he will get a shot at a slightly lower level. Good luck to him.

Also hoping this means that Mading is showing signs of being a player which would have been a sign to Omar that he would be fighting for minutes the rest of his time here.
Mading and Omar don’t come near the same position. Mading plays SF and Omar plays PG/SG.
Greg Hammond would’ve competed for time with Omar.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Omar knows we are looking for another guard who can play right away, and 20's also.....

Can't blame him for leaving now.
steviep123
Sly Williams

What is going on at UKMC?
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The last several years there have been 700-800 transfers.
Out of the 228 players that have already declared they are transferring, 79 are eligible immediately.
Just sharing that stat to show there will probably be 200+ transfers immediately eligible.
Verbal Commits has the best Transfer Tracker in my opinion
Link
http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019

Here is another one https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... =Immediate
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago What is going on at UKMC?

Capture.PNG
They canned their coach a few days ago.
Slava Ukraini!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago What is going on at UKMC?

Capture.PNG
Their best player, Xavier Bishop, is also transferring, announced the day before. So 9 players are transferring.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Really don't know anything about him, there is a redshirt freshman at Towson Quinton Daily who is from Bowie Maryland. So, obviously Cox probably knows him and there is the Skerry connection. Did not know that Parfait Bitee was on the Towson starr.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Really don't know anything about him, there is a redshirt freshman at Towson Quinton Daily who is from Bowie Maryland. So, obviously Cox probably knows him and there is the Skerry connection. Did not know that Parfait Bitee was on the Towson starr.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

McRam wrote: 5 years ago Really don't know anything about him, there is a redshirt freshman at Towson Quinton Daily who is from Bowie Maryland. So, obviously Cox probably knows him and there is the Skerry connection. Did not know that Parfait Bitee was on the Towson starr.
I remember some of our "fans" that loved Skerry and thought he would be a better hire than Dan. How did that work out? Still at Towson, still doing nothing, buh bye. You know who you are.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm lost on Desmond Cambridge - why would we want him? I remember he looked good in person but he's a sub 40% shooter and 32% from 3.

We need a Four Mcglynn type from this class.

I'm fully confident in our starting lineup and subs - just could use a dead eye shooter.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I'm lost on Desmond Cambridge - why would we want him? I remember he looked good in person but he's a sub 40% shooter and 32% from 3.

I'm fully confident in our starting lineup and subs - just could use a dead eye shooter.
The other question is whether that player is being recruited as first off the bench or a starter. I don't see someone like Rayjon Tucker 20+ PPG and >40% from 3PL coming off the bench and I also don't see Cox sitting Tyrese, Fatts, Dowtin, Cyril - does Harris get the bump for an athletic 3?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I'm lost on Desmond Cambridge - why would we want him? I remember he looked good in person but he's a sub 40% shooter and 32% from 3.

The other question is whether that player is being recruited as first off the bench or a starter. I don't see someone like Rayjon Tucker 20+ PPG and >40% from 3PL coming off the bench and I also don't see Cox sitting Tyrese, Fatts, Dowtin, Cyril - does Harris get the bump for an athletic 3?
Good point. I wouldn't expect any movement in our starting lineup based on how we finished - and knowing that Rese and Harris were dealing with injuries.

The hope is you find a role playing shooter who comes in for that one purpose and that's it.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not just a shooter but one with a handle, who can spell Jeff and Fatts for a bit.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Cambridge would have to sit, wouldn't be immediately eligible. So he would be coming in when Jeff/Cyril are leaving. The kid is a stud, he's a scorer moreso than just a shooter. You take him if he is interested, but I doubt he will be.

In other news former JUCO target Shakur Juiston has announced he is leaving UNLV. Unfort i think the connection to him was Carr and we don't need another 4 man.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I could see him replacing Martin in the starting lineup but Martin still getting plenty of minutes. You need to be loyal to your recruits but you also need to have a team with enough talent to make the tournament. URI will need to be better next year in a strong A10 to make the NCAAs. Why settle for a role player transfer?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

IMO Tyrese is a huge difference maker in terms of whether we are an NIT or NCAA team next year.
We desperately need a 3rd perimeter scoring threat and he has the ability to be that. Has to evolve from a 3 and D guy to a more all around offensive threat. With his athleticism and size he is a tough cover, but he has to become more assertive and a bigger part of the offense.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To me the difference maker is Fatts. If he doesn't improve his shot attempt amounts/selection/percentage we'll be hard pressed to make the NCAA with how much he has the ball in his hands unless everyone else make big leaps between now and next year
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago To me the difference maker is Fatts. If he doesn't improve his shot attempt amounts/selection/percentage we'll be hard pressed to make the NCAA with how much he has the ball in his hands unless everyone else make big leaps between now and next year
I think Fatts is always going to be a streaky shooter, and moreso a scorer than a shooter. I don't see him becoming a 35-40% shooter from 3. I think we have to become less reliant on his 20 pts a night to win, and that's why I think Tyrese is the X factor for next season. Throw Jermaine in as an X factor #2 but still give slight edge to Tyrese. We were too easy to defend this year bc only 2 guys could take their man off the dribble (Jeff and Fatts) and 1 of them is a 5'10 low efficiency scorer. We need someone else who can be a go-to scorer. Tyrese has that potential.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

really anyone from that level of D1 has similar questions.

for example, how come Tucker couldn't get minutes at FGCU and only produced when dropping below their level to Little Rock?
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Does Omar have to sit out a year ???
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes unless he somehow gets a waiver. I'm not sure what grounds he'd have to appeal though
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Can Preston (or Will) grad transfer?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

No on Preston. Where would Will go?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

UMass is a train wreck again
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Its schools like UMASS that make me grateful that my team is URI.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I read posts about another Four. I didn’t think he was that good for URI. I looked up his stats - he shot 35.5 % FG and 34.7 from three.