The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The first (but probably not last) move in the A-10 has been made.

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe Oats has found his happy place and intends to stay forever...like McKillop?

If Cox does here what Oats has done there, it would be nice if he does the same thing.

Some guys might not want the big stage...for whatever reasons. One thing's for sure, moving up to the big time has it's perks, but it doesn't always work out. Ask Shaka Smart. Texas didn't hire him to be a bubble team every year.
Smart was courted for few years before Texas made a godfather offer.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe Oats has found his happy place and intends to stay forever...like McKillop?

If Cox does here what Oats has done there, it would be nice if he does the same thing.

Some guys might not want the big stage...for whatever reasons. One thing's for sure, moving up to the big time has it's perks, but it doesn't always work out. Ask Shaka Smart. Texas didn't hire him to be a bubble team every year.
If anybody thinks Buffalo, NY is their happy place I don't know what to say about them and their decision making abilities
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ve seen preemptive contract extensions given numerous times and the coach leave during the off-season.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Wow:

Edit: Well I thought I was posting just Goodman’s tweet but Sandman’s reply is on point!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Appalachian State fired Jim Fox
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Pitino time!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Pitino time!

You might have sumthin' there...
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Where’s the Shark when you need him?
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino name surfacing again for UNLV
One of these years it’s bound to happen. If not this year, next or year after next :lol:

Mike Miller’s name also bring thrown around

From the espn article

Rick Pitino: Pitino's name been floating around the desert for several weeks in connection with this job, but it remains unclear whether there would be interest on either side. Fired by Louisville before last season, Pitino is now coaching Panathinaikos in Greece and won the Greek Cup title in February. He has ties to some power brokers in Vegas and would obviously bring buzz and attention to the job. That said, the NCAA investigation into Louisville is ongoing, and Pitino could still face punishment. It's a risk.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

I do think the record would have been better. They probably don’t need to go through a new head coach learning curve. Probably don’t have the 7 of 8 losing streak or blow the big lead to Duquesne. But probably not good enough/enough extra wins for an at large due to the schedule. They probably still lose at Dayton and VCU and at least one of the Davidson games. But are more competitive in those blowouts. I’m thinking 3 or 4 more wins. But a higher seed in the A10 (not top 4) meaning they still play Thursday. Who knows from there.

Ultimately I’m optimistic they are in good hands with Cox. The team’s and coaches’ improvement after the 7 out of 8 streak has earned them this optimism.

Looking forward to the future.

The league as a whole will be much improved next year so missing out of the double bye would not be out of the realm of possibility though that should be our expectation every year.

Edit - for context, this was in response to someone asking if we win more games if Hurley was still coach. That post was deleted as I was responding. If the mods want I can delete this response.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

At this rate you can add the Bonnies to the list.

No way a P5 doesn't steal Schmidt now
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago At this rate you can add the Bonnies to the list.

No way a P5 doesn't steal Schmidt now
Watch the BC job and what transpires there with URI alum Jim Christian. If that opens up, Schmidt's name would be in the mix for sure. He is a BC alum that was born in Providence and grew up in North Attleborough going to Bishop Feehan High. The BC job would be a big step up in money and in prestige being in the ACC. Schmidt's recent seasons have greatly raised his profile than when the BC position was last open. If he wants the money, there is no way that tiny SBU could come anywhere near P5 salaries. Keep in mind the school previously lost Baron to a school such as URI.

If he were to leave SBU, it would be a big loss. He has established a winning program there and knows what needs to be done to be successful. He gets the school and its environment and makes it work.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Y'think Hurls would've taken the BC job over UConn? I would think a thousand times, yes?
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Disagree on Hurley there is a UConn mystique and opportunity to restore glory as opposed to nearly hopeless situation at BC. Schmidt should stay where he is great coach but not sure how he’d do in ACC pressure cooker
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Y'think Hurls would've taken the BC job over UConn? I would think a thousand times, yes?
No fucking way
steviep123
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Y'think Hurls would've taken the BC job over UConn? I would think a thousand times, yes?
Definitely not....BC hasn't been a great job since they went to the ACC. Though Al Skinner did a great job there both before and after joining the ACC. In the early years of the Big East, until probably the late 80s, BC was probably a better gig. But that changed.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

okie doke....I just think he'd have chosen ACC over AAC...
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago okie doke....I just think he'd have chosen ACC over AAC...
I'd take the Big East over the AAC...doesn't mean I'd choose DePaul over UConn
---
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago okie doke....I just think he'd have chosen ACC over AAC...
By that thinking, he’d be the coach at Pitt right now.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't even know if he would have answered a phone call from BC. For whatever reason, Dan considers UConn an elite college basketball brand regardless of what conference they're in. BC is definitely not that, by any measure. Nobody will ever win anything of any significance at BC. For most types of basketball coaches, I think BC is a decent job - good conference, decent chance to recruit and coach some pros during your time there, upside of maybe get a shot to go to a sweet 16 at some point, and collect a decent check while doing it - that's for sure better than 80% of the jobs out there. But for Dan, I think we wants to win a national championship and only would've left URI to go somewhere he thinks he can. I think he's a little delusional to think UConn is that type of place at this point, honestly, but he probably knows better than me and it's his career. Definitely can't argue with the fact that they've done it before at least, as opposed to a place like BC.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

UConn has won 4 national championships in last 20 years and now is down. Not sure why people think that cannot be resurrected. Hurley obviously thinks he can. BC hoops is not even comparable no matter the conference
Last edited by UCH21377 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ace »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago Speaking of guys with URI connections, my guess is Jim Christian will be out at BC after they bow out of the ACC Tournament.
GBG would be devastated, but he won’t log on to talk about it unless URI goes on a losing streak next season.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Plus, taking Ace at her word (and I see no reason to doubt her at this point...her knowledge of the situation seems impeccable) UConn was one of a small number (3 I think) he'd consider leaving for. It was more the national brand he can rebuild than anything else. Whether the AAC is a good enough conference to do this, remains to be seen. They are better this year, but what we don't know is if it is tenuous. They could be a consistent 4 to 6 bid league or they could fall back to 2 to 3 like they have been. This is the first year (I think) they'll have 4 if Temple does make it. So we'll see.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Plus, taking Ace at her word (and I see no reason to doubt her at this point...her knowledge of the situation seems impeccable) UConn was one of a small number (3 I think) he'd consider leaving for. It was more the national brand he can rebuild than anything else. Whether the AAC is a good enough conference to do this, remains to be seen. They are better this year, but what we don't know is if it is tenuous. They could be a consistent 4 to 6 bid league or they could fall back to 2 to 3 like they have been. This is the first year (I think) they'll have 4 if Temple does make it. So we'll see.
OR, they could become the new coach poaching conference for the P5.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great point on Schmidt to BC if Jimmy is canned

You woukd think he woukd be on their short list for sure
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

As I said in another thread, I really hope for Schmidt's sake that he doesn't go to BC because that program is an absolute pit of failure that I don't think even he can drag them out of.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Great point on Schmidt to BC if Jimmy is canned

You woukd think he woukd be on their short list for sure
Talking to a Bonnie's fan while checking out of hotel today, BC is the job they are worried about
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Many coaching changes will likely be announced in the next few days. As of 03-17-19, this is where we stand:
Screenshot_2019-03-18 Up-to-Date List of College Basketball Coaching Changes - Stadium(2).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
One person well past his prime commenting on someone of similar ilk.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Not for anything but what was Montana St supposed to do? If you have an unsuccessful coach, is the program supposed to stop? It’s touchy - The Sox were in a similar place with Farrell when he was diagnosed with cancer. They kept him, and he ended up holding on for two more years. It’s a decision no program/team wants to make, but I don’t know, I have a hard time blaming the program for making the touch decision. As a human, you can still feel bad for Coach Fish and his family.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Oh boy, this could get ugly
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yikes!!!
steviep123
Sly Williams

A new CFL.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

3.6 million reasons Mooney is staying.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 5 years ago
Please sweet baby jesus let this actually happen
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Doubt it. Martelli is a dean there.

He probably goes when HE wants to go.

They had a ton of injuries. They also don't really have high expectations. Their facilities are well below the top of this league.

They had their day in the sun a while ago, and I think they're happy with that.

Think about it. Just WHO in the A10 has high expectations? How many are realistic?

Can count them on one hand. We know who they are.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't know if UMass' Barstool account can be considered a serious source, but if true, it looks like their three assistants are being sacrificed to keep McCall around another year. What a dumpster fire that place has become
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seems insane to whack the entire staff. There wasn’t one guy there that was worth salvaging? Rumors that they are going to land Tre Mitchell by giving his HS coach a job maybe explain part of this, but what about the other two guys?
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Were these guys holdovers before McCall got there?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

These were McCall’s guys. Seems like a total guy job which after their results and the pending roster turnover is probably a good idea. They are going to hire Mitchell’s HS coach to hopefully secure the kid. And gutting the staff and starting over buys McCall some more time to get it right. He has looked over his head thus far, my guess is the AD told him to bring in someone with more established experience.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jeeze that’s like ending of Godfather Part 1 type of wacking.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

McCall was the one who hired those guys....this is laughable. They don't want to pay off McCall so dump the cheap staff.

Bringing in a HS coach to secure a recruit....that's another good one!

The gift that keeps on giving....that's UMess basketball folks!