3/16 | St. Bonaventure | 1:00PM (CBSSN) | A10 Semifinals

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Re: 3/16 | St. Bonaventure | 1:00PM (CBSSN) | A10 Semifinals

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I would love to see leviton remain with the team in some form or fashion too. I think he could be a great asset to this program in a role other then a walk on.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

PC VS URI NIT game at the Ryan Center? Who's in?
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I am fully confident in Dave Cox and this team moving forward.

We fought and turned around a lost season.

That doesn’t explain the lack of timeouts to stop Bonnie’s runs, or the fact it that Jeff and Fatts spent way too much time on the bench today.

It’s a fair criticism of a coach who will grow and learn. Doesn’t change how bad of a choke today was.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Mixed emotions. Getting blown out is one thing playing three games in three days but having a 15 point lead late in the first half and losing by 20 or so is embarrassing.
Go sit in a corner and be embarrassed then. I’m embarrassed for you whining like this.
Sorry for your embarrassment. I guess I just hate to lose.
I get hating to lose, but ur notorious for being constantly negative. Even when something good happens you sprinkle in a comment, you didn’t chime in this much yesterday

3 games in 3 days, had a great run, what else you want from these kids
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Not certain it would have made a difference given the last ten minutes of the game but I feel Cox made a mistake not taking a time out in the last few minutes of the first half. Team was getting away from game plan and losing mo. Hopefully Cox learned from this and realized you have to stem the tide early before things get out of hand. Hope he reacts differently in the future.

This tournament was still a great learning experience for Cox. He did well for a first year head coach going 2- 1 knocking out a one seed.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Ignoring the what happened on the court - I’d just like to give a good and healthy fuck you to our student fans who didn’t show up at all.

Rhody “ruckus” was an embarrassment in not showing up today.

You have no idea how good you have it to see meaningful basketball in March.

You are literally the fucking worst.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......without organized bus trips, this is what you get, no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago PC VS URI NIT game at the Ryan Center? Who's in?
We aren’t going to the NIT, but if they wanted to play a postseason game charity I’d be in that haha
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Not certain it would have made a difference given the last ten minutes of the game but I feel Cox made a mistake not taking a time out in the last few minutes of the first half. Team was getting away from game plan and losing mo. Hopefully Cox learned from this and realized you have to stem the tide early before things get out of hand. Hope he reacts differently in the future.

This tournament was still a great learning experience for Cox. He did well for a first year head coach going 2- 1 knocking out a one seed.
This is a fair criticism and the coach isn’t perfect even though he’s done a much better job than he was getting credit for earlier in the year. That said, you’re right: it wouldn’t have made a difference.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago PC VS URI NIT game at the Ryan Center? Who's in?
We're not an nit team
Neither is bona btw
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

OK, I've calmed down. We had a helluva turnaround and showed real heart and guts the last 6 and a half games. The way we played in the first 15 minutes today, I had visions of JT and EC dancing in my head. But these are different and younger players, and a brand-new coach.

That said, I'm proud of this team, these players, this coach and this program. We'll be back for more glory next season!!!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Thinking about it, I say they should play in the CBI.

Young team and rookie coach...no negative to more game time together
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Went back and watched the last five minutes of the first half. In retrospect, with about two minutes left after an 8-0 run by Saint Bonaventure would’ve been the best time to take a time out. You could feel the crowd sensing the tide had turned and the energy shifting in Saint Bonaventure’s favor. Two other opportunities after that as well. Let the horse out of the barn.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

To echo what others have already said, gotta shoot for the top four and the double bye next year. With the finish this year, every significant player returning and maybe some added depth from Walker and the freshmen, no reason why this shouldn’t happen.
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Went back and watched the last five minutes of the first half. In retrospect, with about two minutes left after an 8-0 run by Saint Bonaventure would’ve been the best time to take a time out. You could feel the crowd sensing the tide had turned and the energy shifting in Saint Bonaventure’s favor. Two other opportunities after that as well. Let the horse out of the barn.
Cox was probably waiting for us to make a basket. He loves those timeouts after we score.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

Go sit in a corner and be embarrassed then. I’m embarrassed for you whining like this.
I get hating to lose, but ur notorious for being constantly negative. Even when something good happens you sprinkle in a comment, you didn’t chime in this much yesterday

Try some fiber.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago

Try some fiber.
Hmm, ok Kev
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I look for Davidson to win the second semi. Regardless, I think the winner of that game wins the championship. I’m not hating on the Bonnies cause they beat the Rams. Just going by what I have seen this year. Bonnies have a good future with those three freshmen if they can supplement with a couple of recruits or transfers.
Regardless of who ends up winning the championship, I can’t see that team winning a game in the tournament.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......and thanks to you, Steve and Don......out......and of course thanks to the Rhody Insider, Chris Disano, who deserves a much bigger stage in the college hoop scene.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago To echo what others have already said, gotta shoot for the top four and the double bye next year. With the finish this year, every significant player returning and maybe some added depth from Walker and the freshmen, no reason why this shouldn’t happen.
Well it’s no sure thing as Dayton, VCU, St Bona, Davidson, and Duquesne are all young and going to be better too.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......without organized bus trips, this is what you get, no?
Was thinking same thing.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

sandman012 wrote: 5 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago To echo what others have already said, gotta shoot for the top four and the double bye next year. With the finish this year, every significant player returning and maybe some added depth from Walker and the freshmen, no reason why this shouldn’t happen.
Well it’s no sure thing as Dayton, VCU, St Bona, Davidson, and Duquesne are all young and going to be better too.
Bona will lose their leaders Griffin and Stockard so they will be a bit lower than they were this year
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ......without organized bus trips, this is what you get, no?
Was thinking same thing.
.......don’ know who this falls on to organize that type trip, but the students can’t be expected pan handle their way to Brooklyn, although Ihave seen that......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Students were on spring break this week.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Was Omar hurt? I don’t know why he wouldn’t have gotten some minutes in the first half when things were going better. We had more depth then the Bonnie’s bit decided not to use it in our third game in three days.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Was thinking same thing.
.......don’ know who this falls on to organize that type trip, but the students can’t be expected pan handle their way to Brooklyn, although Ihave seen that......
Yeah no excuse. We made it happen in Atlantic City which is much harder to get to.

I don’t care if it’s 15 kids. It’s shameful to have an athletic department hashtag focused on a student section brand and have no one show up.

It’s pathetic. The team deserved better from their contemporaries at school. Lucky sons of bitches got to see semifinal basketball in an easy to get to location from either campus or their homes in jersey.

I didn’t have that luxury but showed up for every god damn disappointing Thursday or Friday in AC with 15-20 other students.

I just don’t want to see a #bringtheruckus hashtag if we’re not going to bring a single fucking student to an A10 semifinal.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago

Was thinking same thing.
Yeah no excuse. We made it happen in Atlantic City which is much harder to get to.

I don’t care if it’s 15 kids. It’s shameful to have an athletic department hashtag focused on a student section brand and have no one show up.

It’s pathetic. The team deserved better from their contemporaries at school. Lucky sons of bitches got to see semifinal basketball in an easy to get to location from either campus or their homes in jersey.

I didn’t have that luxury but showed up for every god damn disappointing Thursday or Friday in AC with 15-20 other students.

I just don’t want to see a #bringtheruckus hashtag if we’re not going to bring a single fucking student to an A10 semifinal.
I was there for all three games
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Dino611 wrote: 5 years ago

Thank god there was one of you? Love it. Wish there were 50 more like you. The school from 6 and a half hours away had no problem getting here.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Thank god there was one of you? Love it. Wish there were 50 more like you. The school from 6 and a half hours away had no problem getting here.
Agreed uri did a horrible job of advertising it. As a student there wasn’t one advertisement of a Hotel/ticket package like last year for students
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Good season. Lots learned. No need to dwell on this game. Just got away from them. Dead legs makes that happen
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed uri did a horrible job of advertising it. As a student there wasn’t one advertisement of a Hotel/ticket package like last year for students
Good god is that the excuse? I’m hampered and dealing with my feelings right now but the students needed the school to tell them the A10 tournament was happening?

Jesus I thought we built a program but holy shit o might be wrong.

Not even a Friday night plan of “hey let’s wake up and drive down and figure the rest out” like every other college kid used to do - or does at every school?

Good god. I weep for this fan base. Hopefully the team just improves without the student fan support because if it depends on everything being set up for you we’re never going to be legitimate.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago I am fully confident in Dave Cox and this team moving forward.

We fought and turned around a lost season.

That doesn’t explain the lack of timeouts to stop Bonnie’s runs, or the fact it that Jeff and Fatts spent way too much time on the bench today.

It’s a fair criticism of a coach who will grow and learn. Doesn’t change how bad of a choke today was.

according to the box score, jeff and fatts both played 35 minutes. and jeff sat the last 4+ minutes of the game.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

credit to bonnies for a game well played. we will be better next year, but so won't a number of other teams. in the conference.

as the team was making their run I said that I thought fats was probably the most important player. when he is on it opens things up for everyone else. they just ran out of gas today. this run has included two OT games on the road and a very emotional win vs VCU. they gave everything they had.

looking forward to next year.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Was thinking same thing.
I think organized bus trips are a necessity for all games within driving distance. The umass trip was great. Holy Cross game should have had one. A10s should have had one. Maybe next year. I’d rather pay $50 to take a bus round trip with Rhody fans/have some Prosecco than drive through CT.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Was thinking same thing.
.......don’ know who this falls on to organize that type trip, but the students can’t be expected pan handle their way to Brooklyn, although I have seen that......
It falls on the program, which I guess it means that Thorr (I think Cox had other things on his mind)did not have anyone assigned to this kind of thing-
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Hats off to Saint Bonaventure Coach Mark Schmidt for his freshman class. 247 sports shows two recruits, Layton and Osunniyi, both from Putnam Science in Connecticut. Both unrated. Wow.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Hats off to Saint Bonaventure Coach Mark Schmidt for his freshman class. 247 sports shows two recruits, Layton and Osunniyi, both from Putnam Science in Connecticut. Both unrated. Wow.
Teams all across the country come up with guys like this all the time. That’s a big reason why recruiting rankings stink - and it happens because services (and teams) miss kids and because some kids just develop a little later. Ja Morant at Murray state went virtually unrecruited two years ago and is going to be a top-5 pick. That is an extreme case, but small schools get legit players all the time that could definitely play at the highest levels of college basketball.

Some credit should go to Schmidt for finding these guys, and some should go to him for developing them. But the reality is a lot of it is just dumb luck.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Schmidt is sort of like Skinner was in finding diamonds in the rough that turned out much better than their rankings. Schmidt is a good talent evaluator, recruiter for his circumstances, and game coach. He and St Bonaventure don't have the resources that others have but they often get the most out of what they have.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Lofton was Ranked 16th and Osuniyi was Ranked 19th in New England rankings. Tate was Ranked 17th in the same NERR list.

Osuniyi originally verballed to LaSalle before deciding to go to Prep School.

Syracuse offered Osuniyi and Maryland was about to offer but because St Bonaventure already was heavily involved Osuniyi stayed with Bonnies. If I remember right Putnam Science only lost 1 game and won the prep school championship so these guys were not so much unknowns but late bloomers on the prep school scene.

It was mentioned in recruiting circles that St Bonaventure got a steal with Osuniyi and it was too late for the P5’s to steal him away.

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/ ... ss-of-2018
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

McRam wrote: 5 years ago

Was thinking same thing.
.......don’ know who this falls on to organize that type trip, but the students can’t be expected pan handle their way to Brooklyn, although I have seen that......
It falls on the program, which I guess it means that Thorr (I think Cox had other things on his mind)did not have anyone assigned to this kind of thing-
So it’s on the school to organize a bus trip when the school isn’t in session?

So the kids who didn’t bother to show up today would magically have been able to make their way to campus to take a drive? How does a school even plan for that on a Saturday that is two wins and a massive upset away?

50% of our kids are in state - a 2.5 hour drive. A quarter of the kids are from New Jersey.

I don’t need to start a whole “this generation sucks” thread - but when the fuck do kids grow up to a point where they can take a weekend trip without someone else doing all the ridiculously easy legwork.

I’m speaking from experience and if a group of kids could make a trip that was twice as long for a team that had shown us nothing but disappointment - how do these children not get up for a team that’s given them 2 years of great memories and a semifinal appearance?

There’s no excuse to not have the students show up. Period.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

We'll be OK. Next year is looking up, not down, from what we did this year. Knocking off the #1 A10 tourney seed was a big accomplishment for our young team.

I have to think that St. B/St. Louis is gonna get raked in the first round of the NCAA tourney, no matter who they play, if they make it. URI probably would've as well.
Last edited by RI_Bred 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 years ago We'll be OK. Next year is looking up, not down, from what we did this year. Knocking off the #1 A10 tourney seed was a big accomplishment for our young team.

I have to think that St. B/St. Louis is gonna get raked in the first round of the NCAA tourney, no matter who they play, if they make it. URI probably would've as well.

We totally could've beaten saint Louis...

I kinda hate the entire A-10 right now.

A lot.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

<t>Getting old.. back to hotel after game and drowning sorrows til 7:30. No way near the endurance of 40 years ago.. turning point to me was the failed alley oop to Preston.. would have torn the roof down but instead started the come back.. totally stopped playing the way they started.. had 7 assists up to then. Not many more after that and stopped running. So much for worrying about where to park the car tomorrow.. hate to lose.. wait til next year.. last few weeks give us hope.. thanks guys!!<br/>
.</t>
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Couldn't see the game at work...but someone told me toward the end of the first half that we were up by 15....

Thought we got this at that point.....then found out later that we were down 37-36 a few minutes into the 2nd half, and still figured OK we'll still find a way to win it.

Then saw the score with a few minutes left and thought, well either someone key got hurt or we just ran out of gas....it was the latter of course.

Disappointed but still a positive overall spin to this season.....

We're going to be pretty good. So will a few other teams in the A10....should be a fun season next season as things stand now.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Tough break. They looked tired in the second half. Who can blame them.

That 4 guard lineup in the second half didn't help.

Strong finish to the season. I will renew again.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago <t>Getting old.. back to hotel after game and drowning sorrows til 7:30. No way near the endurance of 40 years ago.. turning point to me was the failed alley oop to Preston.. would have torn the roof down but instead started the come back.. totally stopped playing the way they started.. had 7 assists up to then. Not many more after that and stopped running. So much for worrying about where to park the car tomorrow.. hate to lose.. wait til next year.. last few weeks give us hope.. thanks guys!!<br/>
.</t>
.....get some rest.....thx
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Tough break. They looked tired in the second half. Who can blame them.

That 4 guard lineup in the second half didn't help.

Strong finish to the season. I will renew again.
I think we've finally seen the last of the 4 guard lineup.

More depth up front will really help...especially will help Cyril.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago Hats off to Saint Bonaventure Coach Mark Schmidt for his freshman class. 247 sports shows two recruits, Layton and Osunniyi, both from Putnam Science in Connecticut. Both unrated. Wow.
If they win tomo - I would be surprised if he was back.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not sure about Schmidt leaving if they win......he could have left after last season but didn't....maybe he's happy where he is, where there isn't really a lot of pressure to win compared to the big boys.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If he leaves, I really hope it's not for BC because I really like Schmidt and I'd hate to see him in a dumpster fire no-win situation.