All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I understand they aren't his players, but I keep hearing that the talent at UConn isn't there...

It seems like their talent level, compared to URI, is considerably higher. Obviously they didn't have much coaching with Ollie, but I hate the narrative that talent-wise they have no one.

I would think they'd be able to achieve more with the below - albeit they've been hit pretty hard by the injury bug.

At a quick glance they have:
Eric Cobb - 4 star --> offers from South Carolina, Kansas State
Christian Vital - 3 star --> offers from Boston College, UNLV
Jalen Adams (injured) --> 4 star #25 overall - offers from Kansas, MD, Louisville, etc.
Alterique Gilbert --> 4 star #30 overall - offers from Louisville, Syracuse, Texas
Sidney Wilson --> 4 start #89 overall - offers from Louisville, Syracuse, Texas., etc.
Isaiah Whaley --> 3 star, offers from Providence, Memphis, Georgia
Tyler Polley --> 4 star, offers from URI, Pitt, TCU, Dayton
Kassoum Yakwe --> 4 star, offers from Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse, Villanova, Oregon
Brendan Adams --> 3 star, URI
But just because they were ranked a certain way out of high school, what does that mean? Many of those guys played for UCONN last season. Many of those guys didn't do much last year. They weren't going to take these massive jumps and all of a sudden be strong rotational talent. Take the three guys non-stars who played for UCONN last year (Cobb, Whaley, Polley). They averaged 7 points last year. This year they average 12.9. They weren't going to go from 7 points last year to 20+ points this season. Had Jalen Adams not gotten injured, UCONN would have been competing for the NIT. They are pretty much 1-6 without him (he played only 6 minutes the game he got injured). They were 13-9 before the Temple game where he got injured. They also played 2.85 of those games without Gilbert as well. And of course Yakwe who has missed all of conference play. To me that makes it incomparable to URI, because you'd have to look at URI and be like "Ok, what would happened if on February 6th, we lost Dowtin for the season, and a few weeks before that, we lost Langevine for a month which intersects with Dowtin's injury, and oh yeah, we also lost rotation piece (insert Player X) in December for the season." If UCONN is on path for the NIT this season, no one says anything. It's because they've fallen due to injuries that people go "oh yeah 14-15 doesn't look to hot."
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Section104 wrote: 5 years ago I understand they aren't his players, but I keep hearing that the talent at UConn isn't there...

It seems like their talent level, compared to URI, is considerably higher. Obviously they didn't have much coaching with Ollie, but I hate the narrative that talent-wise they have no one.

I would think they'd be able to achieve more with the below - albeit they've been hit pretty hard by the injury bug.

Jalen Adams (injured) --> 4 star #25 overall - offers from Kansas, MD, Louisville, etc.
Alterique Gilbert --> 4 star #30 overall - offers from Louisville, Syracuse, Texas
Sidney Wilson --> 4 start #89 overall - offers from Louisville, Syracuse, Texas., etc.
Kassoum Yakwe --> 4 star, offers from Kansas, Louisville, Syracuse, Villanova, Oregon
But just because they were ranked a certain way out of high school, what does that mean? Many of those guys played for UCONN last season. Many of those guys didn't do much last year. They weren't going to take these massive jumps and all of a sudden be strong rotational talent. Take the three guys non-stars who played for UCONN last year (Cobb, Whaley, Polley). They averaged 7 points last year. This year they average 12.9. They weren't going to go from 7 points last year to 20+ points this season. Had Jalen Adams not gotten injured, UCONN would have been competing for the NIT. They are pretty much 1-6 without him (he played only 6 minutes the game he got injured). They were 13-9 before the Temple game where he got injured. They also played 2.85 of those games without Gilbert as well. And of course Yakwe who has missed all of conference play. To me that makes it incomparable to URI, because you'd have to look at URI and be like "Ok, what would happened if on February 6th, we lost Dowtin for the season, and a few weeks before that, we lost Langevine for a month which intersects with Dowtin's injury, and oh yeah, we also lost rotation piece (insert Player X) in December for the season." If UCONN is on path for the NIT this season, no one says anything. It's because they've fallen due to injuries that people go "oh yeah 14-15 doesn't look to hot."
Fair...is the expectation NCAA or bust next year?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Section104 wrote: 5 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago

Fair...is the expectation NCAA or bust next year?
I would hope their fans wouldn’t be so short-sighted to expect NCAA or bust next year. It’s easy to be excited about a Top 20 recruiting class but they are still freshmen. Given how impactful Jalen Adams was for that team, hard to imagine them going from 15-16 wins to the 20+ they would need to expect “NCAA or bust” without him.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully Dan watched the Fatts Russell show tonight....I'm sure he's happy for him.

And we on this board until recently though Fatts could go to UConn next season the way he was playing.

Nah...I think we'll keep him around.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

UConn?

Hasn’t been anyone sending him to UConn for months.

Rocket Surgeon KB crew thought he should be playing for RIC....

Fastest player in the league. Bet Dan still wants him, heck after tonight he could transfer to ‘Nova. The way this board killed him I wouldn’t blame him...

Go Rhody!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn can play spoiler bubble Temple on Thursday
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Team Hurls...looking for their first roadie of the year... up 4 with 4 1/2 to go
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah over a terrible ECU team but they got it done
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn will likely win their 1st round game in the conference tourney...and then get Houston.

I think we have a better chance against VCU than they do against the Cougars,
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Yeah over a terrible ECU team but they got it done
Yes they did.
And this was Jalen Adams’ first game back and he had an impressive 12 assists. UConn is a better team with him leading the attack offensively and defensively.
Hurley only playing 6 men with freshman big man Sidney Wilson getting 21 minutes
Josh Carleton continues to improve and racks up a double double
Tyler Polley with an Impressive game so the big men playing well and improving
Vital also with a solid game

Would not surprise me if Hurley takes his team into the Semifinals or even further.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They play So Fla in the 8-9 game if win then Houston then its night night
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn with Adams is better plus some of the young guys are developing, but beating Houston isn't going to happen.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I thought Adams was done for the year. I’m glad he’s back.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago UConn with Adams is better plus some of the young guys are developing, but beating Houston isn't going to happen.
I found myself very impressed with Houston yesterday.
They were trailing at #20 Cincy yesterday 47-41 with 13:32 left.
With 11:03 left, they were winning 57-49.
Hard to spring a 16-2 run on anyone, forget in a 2:29 span on the road against another Top 25 opponent.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Houston was #4 NET as well as #4 RPI for statistical reasons. AP and ESPN Opinion polls did not recognize Houston as well as the statistical polls.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Houston is very good and that conference deserves 4 teams in
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great video !!

Can you say intense on the sideline ??

Coached URI to 2 NCAAT wins hard not to like the guy
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn is playing well like URI is, but they are likely to have met their match today in Houston.

Watch out next season though.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

UConn got absolutely throttled by Houston - 39 points, sheesh
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since we can't get NBCSN at work....had to watch that abomination of an effort by UConn instead.

Didn't think they could win...Houston is REALLY good....but really? Very surprised by the lack of effort on both ends....Dan has some work to do there for sure.

The UConn fans I saw today were livid...to put it mildly.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Who cares what UConn does?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago Who cares what UConn does?
Well this thread does have 36,773 views so...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
True.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago
True.
And if you don’t care why are you on it?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Even in the depths of URI’s frustrating moments this year, it’s nice to remember how far it’s all come. It’s also nice to read the names Martin, Matthews, and Terrell as an example of how it’s done.

“Hurley took over the Rams’ program in 2012 and inherited a true mess. Two days after his hire, talented freshman Jonathan Holton was arrested for video voyeurism and booted from the program. Not long after that, the athletics department realized it had calculated the team’s APR number incorrectly. Rhody had an APR of 813, triggering red flags and an institutional plan to improve the team’s APR or risk a postseason ban (as UConn suffered that season). It limited Hurley’s ability to recruit, and it forced him to keep some players in the program he probably otherwise wouldn’t have kept, or suffer the APR consequences if they left the program and wound up flunking out elsewhere.”
____

This season for UConn was a grind but not an unexpected one. I think most UConn fans get that. There are the irrational types in every fan base. Cox talked about culture after the VCU game. It takes time with a new group, especially a group pieced together by a previous staff that seemed a bad mix of desperate and disengaged. The players hadn’t been coached much, and the previous staff’s approach to strength and conditioning remains a mystery, if it ever existed at all. They started almost from scratch with recruiting for ‘18, and I think smartly went the grad transfer route instead of guys that would take up space longer. That gave them 5 spots for ‘19, which was knocked down to 4.

The defense was bad this season. Dan is a good defensive coach but even he couldn’t do much with the personnel on that end. If that didn’t make him crazy, nothing will. I do think they could have been an NIT team without injuries. The front court was already thin, and no Yakwe and Diarra didn’t help. Even so, they were 12-8 (3-4) on January 26th and then all hell broke loose with injuries to Adams (knee) and Gilbert (first shoulder, then eye and head).

F/C Josh Carlton was named the conference’s most improved player (along with Pierre-Louis from Temple), so definitely good to see them develop a big. They have a great recruiting class coming in with at least one spot still open. There are two additional spots where something could develop. Gilbert is a terrific player- talented and easy to root for- and is really key to how this thing goes. He also has the worst injury luck of maybe any player ever. Selection Sunday was a lot more fun the last two years than this one, but both of my teams seem to have bright futures ahead.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thanks for posting this Ace,

I found this paragraph interesting :D

“(At URI), you’re able to do it on an island, even more so at Wagner,” Hurley noted. “You’re able to rebuild the program without a whole lot of people caring, until you get real good. Here, everyone’s living and dying with every loss as you’re going through a rebuilding process. It’s frustrating for everyone because of the level this place has been at, which is different than the other places.”
“That’s it,” he added. “It’s the same work. The noise is louder, and more people care.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn was a .500 team overall record and they played in a conference that going to get at least 3 maybe 4 teams in the dance so I woukd say that DH is ahead of schedule for his 1st year
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago UConn was a .500 team overall record and they played in a conference that going to get at least 3 maybe 4 teams in the dance so I woukd say that DH is ahead of schedule for his 1st year
Actually they ended up one game under .500 with a record of 16-17. 2nd straight losing season for UConn. Reason it was anywhere near .500 was largely due to the fact that they had so many home games (18). Only played nine true road games with the sole win coming in their last regular season game at ECU.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago UConn was a .500 team overall record and they played in a conference that going to get at least 3 maybe 4 teams in the dance so I woukd say that DH is ahead of schedule for his 1st year
Actually they ended up one game under .500 with a record of 16-17. 2nd straight losing season for UConn. Reason it was anywhere near .500 was largely due to the fact that they had so many home games (18). Only played nine true road games with the sole win coming in their last regular season game at ECU.
That’s the schedule the current staff inherited. Anyone who’s paid attention to how Dan scheduled at URI knows that will change going forward. And again, I think they would be an NIT team if they were healthy. They didn’t have the depth or quality to withstand losing two starting guards. Killed any chance to gain some momentum or flow. The season had its moments- not all fun, but necessary.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok so he went 16-17 in a decent conference in his first year

Wasn’t that better than his first year at URI and Wags ???
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Had opportunity to watch a lot of UConn and URI this year. Huge contrast on the injury front. I can only remember Fatts missing one game for Rhody - really really fortunate there...UConn seemed to lose a guy for multiple games almost every game...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah we sure had amazing health this year with regards to missed games only Fatts misses 1 game
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

In terms of missed games yes.....but several of our players had or still have nagging injuries that caused them to play at less than 100% effectiveness.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago In terms of missed games yes.....but several of our players had or still have nagging injuries that caused them to play at less than 100% effectiveness.
Yeah, but that’s like every team everywhere. The grind of a season takes its toll. The URI guys got to keep playing together and figure it out. Imagine the process, both mentally and on the court, if they had lost Dowtin and Fatts for a significant amount of time.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Ok so he went 16-17 in a decent conference in his first year

Perhaps if URI and Wagner had played twice as many home games as true road games then, his records in the first year at those two stops would have been much better. Tough to make comparisons when things are far from equal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Ok so he went 16-17 in a decent conference in his first year

Perhaps if URI and Wagner had played twice as many home games as true road games then, his records in the first year at those two stops would have been much better. Tough to make comparisons when things are far from equal.
You’re really hung up on this, and I’m not sure it’s all that relevant. He did better because he had more talent before injuries hit. Ollie scheduled to try and save his job- lots of cupcakes and also opponents of note in Arizona, Syracuse, Iowa, Villanova, and Florida State.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

UConn's strength of schedule this year was 65. Not too bad. For comparisons sake we were 92. And Hurley's first year here we were at 62.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UConn's strength of schedule this year was 65. Not too bad. For comparisons sake we were 92. And Hurley's first year here we were at 62.
Dan was not a fan of their OOC schedule this year- several very tough opponents in neutral games but no true road games and a great divide between poor teams and very good to great ones. Very different than the schedules URI has put together in the last few years and has next year.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

You’re really hung up on this, and I’m not sure it’s all that relevant. He did better because he had more talent before injuries hit. Ollie scheduled to try and save his job- lots of cupcakes and also opponents of note in Arizona, Syracuse, Iowa, Villanova, and Florida State.

I am not hung up on it and am not arguing that Hurley put it all together and it was what he wanted. My point is merely that he did benefit from it in terms of wins. On the other hand, these wins may have been hollow as you point out as they did not really prepare his team. Given his team never won a true road game until its last regular season game, I think it safe to assume more road games would not likely have helped his record. It however may have better prepared the team for quality opposition making the final game with Houston somewhat competitive instead of a near 40 point blowout.
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 5 years ago

Dan was not a fan of their OOC schedule this year- several very tough opponents in neutral games but no true road games and a great divide between poor teams and very good to great ones. Very different than the schedules URI has put together in the last few years and has next year.
Ace, do you have their non conference schedule for next season handy? I tried looking at the Boneyard for it, but didn't see it in the first page of posts and didn't want to go down that rabbit hole any further.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
Ace, do you have their non conference schedule for next season handy? I tried looking at the Boneyard for it, but didn't see it in the first page of posts and didn't want to go down that rabbit hole any further.
Not off the top of my head, but I can get it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Here is some of their OOC schedule:

home Florida
Charleston Classic - Features Florida, Miami, Xavier, Penn St., St. Joseph's, Missouri St., Towson (3 games)
@ Nova
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago Here is some of their OOC schedule:

home Florida
Charleston Classic - Features Florida, Miami, Xavier, Penn St., St. Joseph's, Missouri St., Towson (3 games)
@ Nova
Buffalo’s replaced Penn State in this. Penn State is now playing in the NIT.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Thanks Ace and RJ...that's a good list of potentially strong teams. Especially Florida and Buffalo. X is a little down this year and Miami more so, but it would surprise me to see them back. It would be fun to see them play Buffalo (assuming Oats doesn't get a godfather offer).

I've been going through the past 5 seasons. With the exception of the Diamondhead Classic, URI has gotten into some pretty good tournaments with some strong opponents and possibilities of Q1 opponents. It was great to not only have opportunities to a potential Q1 team, but in the 2017 and 2018 seasons beating one (Cincinnati and Seton Hall) to get chances at another (Duke and Virginia). With UConn's bigger name it should be easier for them to get into these tournaments. Kudos to DH and Thorr for getting Rhody into them, and I hope that continues (Jamaica is looking pretty good with LSU and Utah State, but I hope the rest doesn't fill up with cream puffs).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I had heard PC and Uconn would be starting a home & home this upcoming season. But nothing has been reported as of yet.
steviep123
Sly Williams

I don't know if DH would want to do it (besides the fact that Calhoun has basically refused to schedule us in the last 30 some odd years), but a home and home with URI/UConn would be great in a few years. Or maybe DH can grease the wheels on a URI/ASU home and home?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Why wait a few years? Both teams will be better next year, and likely at least NIT level.....and going forward also.

ASU would be intriguing......
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Why wait a few years? Both teams will be better next year, and likely at least NIT level.....and going forward also.

My assumption is that DH won't want to play URI while any of the guys he coached are still there. Of course that's an assumption. Even a one game at Mohegan would be great.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Why wait a few years? Both teams will be better next year, and likely at least NIT level.....and going forward also.

There is almost zero chance Dan would ever agree to playing his former school. There is zero chance he will agree to do that while he still has kids he recruited on the roster and a coach he mentored. Not happening.