New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: New A10 - URI Basketball's Conference Future

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Excellent!
Why does the A-10 need a boatload of new schools?
Just ad Siena and see what happens with Dayton, before adding a Western school.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This quote is from the end of the release.
The Atlantic 10 holds one of the most impressive media footprints in all of Division I. The addition of George Mason means there are eight A-10 schools located in the top 25 media markets in the country and every institution is located in the top 65 markets.
If this is the case, then why is our TV contract garbage!?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:The official statement

http://www.atlantic10.com/genrel/032513aaa.html
I'll have to send Kevin McNamara another email if there's not a story in the projo. He did after all reply to me earlier to "trust that when/if the A10 makes a move, it will be reported."

let's see if the providence college journal and their pr man will stick to his word.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Clock's ticking at least for a "blog" type post today on projo.com.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once again, Keaneyblue.com scoops the Blojo!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

McNamara is too busy covering that huge NIT game...
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It's up on projo, though mainly a paraphrase of the A10 website article:

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... mason.html

I look forward to a full detailed article for how the projo thinks this will help/hurt the A10's future and it's effect on RI's State University. Here's hoping we hear more than

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

With Dayton and St. Louis likely to leave next year, the conference is shaping up into three geographical areas:
GM, VCU, Richmond and GW
St. Joe's, LaSalle, Duquesne
URI, UMass, St. Bon., Fordham

Maybe Siena hasn't been approached because A10 is looking for a fourth Philly-based team. Drexel maybe?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

UMass is going to go to the "Son of Big East," they dream of football. Lose UMass, Dayton, Temple, Butler St Louis and Xavier, and then add the likes of George Mason and Siena? That's called losing. Bigtime. I loved Mason under Larranago, but that was lightening in a bottle. they are mdiocre at best over the long run. I may be wrong, but I thik this all sucks. I'm glad Butler got bounced. Good riddance to them. I'll miss Temple and Xavier. You don't teplace those caliber schools with George Mason. George Mason, for crissakes. Yeah...I know the A10 is playing the only hand it can, but let's not pretend this doesn't make the conference on par with teh MAACs of the world.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Did nobody else miss the major inaccuracy in this KevinMac piece?
Kevin MacNamara wrote:With the loss of three members and addition of Mason, the Atlantic 10 will have 14 members next season.
Showing his true colors. Clearly doesn't give a rats ass about non-Big East matters. It all shows through in this compulsory post to projo which adds very little beyond the cut and paste from the A10 official press release.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Saw this on the A10 board:

CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager is just a bit less gratious than A10's Bernadette McGlade in responding to the loss of conference members....You can listen to Yeager's opening commentsfrom today's CAA membership conference call.

RICHMOND, Va. (March 25, 2013) – Below is a statement from CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager regarding the withdrawal of George Mason University from the conference on July 1, 2013.

“As a result of the George Mason University Board’s decision to withdraw from CAA membership, effective July 1, 2013, and in accordance with conference bylaws:

George Mason’s teams in seven spring sports (baseball, men’s golf, women’s lacrosse, women’s rowing, softball and men’s and women’s tennis) will become ineligible for CAA spring 2013 championships.

George Mason will forfeit its projected 2013 conference distribution of approximately $330,000 and future distributions (through 2017 totaling an additional $1.32 million). George Mason will also pay a minimum liquidated damages fee of at least $1,000,000. Total forfeited funds will be no less than $2.65 million.

George Mason’s membership in the Colonial Academic Alliance will terminate on July 1, 2013. The Academic Alliance office, housed on George Mason’s campus, will relocate to another CAA campus.

We are disappointed by George Mason’s decision to withdraw from the CAA after 30 years as a charter member. We wish them well as they strive to achieve the same level of competitive success in a new conference. The CAA’s Council of Presidents will continue to aggressively pursue institutions committed to providing the finest academic and athletic opportunities for our student-athletes.”

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.db ... EM_ID=8500
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:With Dayton and St. Louis likely to leave next year, the conference is shaping up into three geographical areas:
GM, VCU, Richmond and GW

Maybe Siena hasn't been approached because A10 is looking for a fourth Philly-based team. Drexel maybe?

Good info on the George Mason website.
Interesting the way they map out the A10.....really shows how far out of range St Louis is - expect St louis to go now that Xavier and Butler have departed.
http://gomason.com/SplashPage.dbml?SPLASH_AD_ID=906941

I don't know who the A10 could have gotten that is better right now than George Mason.
33,000 students of which 13,000 are garduate students
10,000 seat Patriot Center Basketball Arena
Paul Hewitt, established, well known D1 Coach previously at Georgia Tech
Good geography
Good academic institution

Put these statistics up against existing members of the A10 or even those departing and GMU compares very favorably
Throw in rivalries with GW, VCU and Richmond - plus the close travel - and you give all 4 of these schools reasons to like what they have in the A10.
We can't cry over Butler, Xavier, Temple, Charlotte departing - it's over - but looking forward GMU is a very nice addition to the A10.
Last edited by ramster 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

ramster wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:With Dayton and St. Louis likely to leave next year, the conference is shaping up into three geographical areas:
We can't cry over Butler, Xavier, Temple, Charlotte departing - it's over - but looking forward GMU is a very nice addition to the A10.

This strikes me as saying something like we lose the Red Sox, Yankees, Padres and White Sox, but the Brewers will be a nice addition.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't know why people keep saying UMass is going to the football ex-BE.

They have said over and over, that Tulsa will be picked. No mention of UMass.

UMass is staying in the A10 for BB. They have nowhere to go for football. They are also considering dropping back down to the CAA level. They will [and already have] lost a ton of money playing games in Gillette, 80 miles from campus. Unless they can find funding for a new stadium in the Springfield area, it makes no sense to keep throwing money away.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU and Butler were only with the A10 for 1 year - easy come easy go with Butler - they were never in it for the long haul
Butler may very well lose their Head Coach to UCLA or Minnesota
Sure we lost Xavier, Butler, Temple and Charlotte....could lose St Louis and Dayton too, maybe even UMASS
The A10 has to continue to rebuild or it could become extinct....anyone remember the Southwest Conference? the CAA could become history.
URI's best bet is to be a strong performer. These last two years have been brutal Basketball records for both men and women - we all know why
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Did nobody else miss the major inaccuracy in this KevinMac piece?
Kevin MacNamara wrote:With the loss of three members and addition of Mason, the Atlantic 10 will have 14 members next season.
Showing his true colors. Clearly doesn't give a rats ass about non-Big East matters. It all shows through in this compulsory post to projo which adds very little beyond the cut and paste from the A10 official press release.

Someone should fill him in that there are actually four teams leaving the A-10 - Temple, Charlotte, Xavier, and Butler.

My guess is he completely forgot about Charlotte as that was the only one that was not tied to the Big East.

There will as of now be 13 members of the A-10. Four depart from the current 16 member league and one (GMU) gets added.

You are very right in that McNamara's knowledge outside the Big East is very suspect. That is why I always get peeved when his sunday column byline listed college basketball. It was always 99% related to the Big East.

It will be interesting to see how Kevin and all the other northeast media member SU alums treat the new and old Big East leagues now that their beloved Orange have moved to the ACC.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

VCU isn't leaving ramster
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:VCU isn't leaving ramster
I did not say VCU was leaving. I said Butler, Xavier, Temple and Charlotte were leaving and in the future St Louis, Dayton and maybe even UMASS could leave. Never said VCU was leaving - and they are obviously not. Sorry it was such that it could be misinterpreted like that.
Point of VCU and Butler is that they were just added last year to bring the A10 to 16 teams. They were only with us for a year and the league was only at 16 teams for a year.
So you could look at the A10 that MAYBE McGlade was seeking to add Butler and VCU because she sensed this Big East raid was coming - MAYBE she was thinking ahead with this move.'
We knew the Temple loss was coming for a while, as we knew the Charlotte loss was coming. The Football Teams are looking to join Football FBS Conferences - that is why I think UMASS is on the way out - just not at this immediate time yet but it's coming.

So the glass half full people might say McGlade was thinking and acting ahead, the "sky is falling" people will say she is doing nothing, not acting fast enough and that George Mason addition is not a good one.

Fact is the Big East raided us, again, what can you do.
First and foremost is that URI needs to build strong athletic programs with strong results. The past two years have been disasters. We can now look forward to the Basketball Program. NEC decision sucked and thankfully we reversed that stupid move - with colletral damage but at least we reversed it.

We can look at programs like Butler, VCU, George Mason, Stonybrook, Towson and see losts of progress over the past 5-10 years.
URI has not improved.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

i missed where you said easy come easy go with Butler my bad.

Also it appears Siena has set up a press conference for wednesday
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Could be a new coach announcement, but if Siena is being added to the A10, I would think it would happen soon.

Somebody will leak it out by tomorrow.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That's a fast hire for a new head coach, no?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very interesting.
Siena with 3500 students, 1/10th the size of GMU but pretty common for Northeast Catholic Schools
Arena is a big draw here as is there average attendance

So Coaches are falling as usual this time of year.
Siena fired their Coach............so the Final 4 is a big attraction - like a Hiring, Networking, Convention - a common practice is for ADs to go there and recruit Head Coaches.
The A10 is in a Strong Position for recruiting other teams, they are losing teams but at the same time they got great, great publicity by getting 5 teams in the Dance and then going 6-0 to start. 5th team in LaSalle has opened eyes too by reaching the Sweet 16. A small, catholic Northeast School makes it to the Sweet 16 - other small, Catholic schools are saying "that could be us"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gut on this is the A10 is extending Siena an offer to join. McGlade went out and grabbed Butler and VCU last year knowing she was vulnerable. Now vulnerable again with the possibility of losing St Louis and Dayton and UMASS. Why not get out ahead with a GMU and a Siena? Build a NY presence with current St Bonaventure, Fordham, maybe some other schools follow later? The A10 is weak in the Northeast, especially when UMASS leaves which is just a matter of time.
Then.............with the A10 invite, Siena is in a much stronger position to attract a Head Coach than if they remain in the MAAC. Makes much more sense to get the A10 first...then the HC.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

GM, VCU, Richmond and GW

No on Drexel, I would imagine, but it would be a third. As an eastern Pennsylvanian, I just can't let you get away with putting Pittsburgh in the same category as Philadelphia. As a geographical aside, Pittsburgh is technically closer to both DC and St. Bonaventure than Philly.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You aced that post, Ramster. Good job.

Now, the only question: Does the A10 add two more after this, or do they wait?

My guess is, they wait another year. Might all depend on what McGlade thinks StLouis will do.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramster, you need to stop proclaiming UMass' impending exit from the A10. There is very, very little to support that concept. If anything, there is momentum already to bring them back to FCS, rather than move UP another half step in the FBS.

I don't like 16 teams... not enough home-and-homes in conference. One day, if we can delete some of the chaff at the bottom, maybe we settle back into a very solid, gap-free 12 team conference with divisions.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

thanks Rambone,
That is a good question,
I think it is interesting reading the Siena Board how gadly they want in the A10 - and they have wanted this for a while.
The A10 has strengthened since Linda Bruno left and McGlade came in - Bruno just didn't get it. Now the A10 is a known conference and this 6-0 start was just what the Dr ordered with all these teams leaving.
Maybe even Dayton, UMass and maybe even St Louis will have second thoughts?
I wonder about McGlade as to whether she stops at 14 - I think I'd like to see 16, play the 6-0 start for the NCAA, play the strength of the A10 right now -
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ramster wrote:Why not get out ahead with a GMU and a Siena? Build a NY presence with current St Bonaventure, Fordham, maybe some other schools follow later?
Because Siena wasn't going anywhere, they could add them anytime. George Mason makes sense because it weakens the CAA ensuring that the A-10 remains the best conference for VCU and Richmond as long as the "Big East" doesn't call. Maybe the A10 needs Siena in a year or two and they would be there but right now they add nothing. And I don't see the value of being in the state of New York but outside the NYC market. Siena might be a decent candidate but the A10 is unnecessarily rushing to the altar on this one.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, I doubt StLouis and Dayton would have second thoughts. The money the BE would offer dwarfs anything the A10 TV contract could be.

We just have to hope the BE calls it quits on expansion for a few years. Then the A10 will be fine.

If they do expand next year, I'm guessing that Dayton and Richmond are the ones to go, or maybe StLouis and Richmond? Some here have said StLouis might look to the MVC, and some are saying they are going to stay with us until the BE makes up their mind.

If all three go to the MVC and BE, then the addition of GMU helps keep VCU around. Or at least should.

One thing's for sure. The A10 isn't done adding teams, now or in the future. Dropping a couple wouldn't hurt either.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ATP, you are right about UMass. They aren't going anywhere soon. They're stuck football wise right where they are, unless they come to their senses and rejoin the CAA.

If they keep chasing a lost cause, then they will get what they deserve.

UConn football is going down that same path, unless something opens up for them fairly soon. Of course, I said that when they hired Pasqualoni, a step down from their previous coach if there ever was one.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm concerned tat URI could end up as the only A10 school in New England. Isee UMASS becoming a full MAC member in a couple of years.
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I'll have defer to McGlade on Siena...they do not impress me. I hope I'm wrong.
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

Pretty sure there is no press conference with Siena this week. The above info might be based on an alleged hoax from SienaSal.

Check out Mark Singelais twitter account.
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

ATPTourFan wrote:That's a fast hire for a new head coach, no?
Not really. South Alabama just hired one of Butler's assistants.
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ace, you're one of my favorite posters, but
Pittsburgh is closer to DC than Philly? Huh?
I'm with ATP, I don't want to see a bloated 16 team A-10.
I also don't see UMass going anywhere. Their football experiment has
been a financial disaster.
I have no problem with adding Siena, but what market do they bring?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ace, you're one of my favorite posters, but
Crazy, right? But it is.

Pittsburgh to Philly is about 320 miles, Pitt to DC is a little less than 250. I've made those drives many times, and, while neither is fun, Philly to Pittsburgh is definitely a little longer. Philly is actually closer to Kingston than it is to Pittsburgh, although I imagine the driving time is pretty much the same.
Last edited by ace 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

rod they bring in the Albany market
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Read the Dayton board again, and most there are convinced the Flyers goose is cooked, they aren't going to the BE even if they do expand again. And neither is Richmond.

They're saying it's StLouis and a school to be named later. Siena is mentioned again. Another small Catholic school.

Some idiot even mentioned Fordham. They can have them. Yeah right.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Albany market? What Binghamton isn't available?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Albany Market? Is that a grocery store?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Ace, you're one of my favorite posters, but
Crazy, right? But it is.

Pittsburgh to Philly is about 320 miles, Pitt to DC is a little less than 250. I've made those drives many times, and, while neither is fun, Philly to Pittsburgh is definitely a little longer. Philly is actually closer to Kingston than it is to Pittsburgh, although I imagine the driving time is pretty much the same.
I think Rod understood you to mean that Pittsburgh is closer to D.C. than Philly is to D.C., which would clearly be wrong. But you meant that Pittsburgh is closer to D.C. than Pittsburgh is to Philly, which is equally obvious if you look at a map. A common misperception is that D.C. is on the east coast, but it is quite a ways from the Atlantic Ocean.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ah, thanks TP. You understand what I thought Ace was saying.
I read the comment about Pittsburgh being closer to DC than Philly,
and I said, "Huh?"
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome GMU !!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Delaware and Northeastern rumors now,in addition to Siena
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Delaware might be a decent pickup, they are upgrading their program.

Northeastern? Small time.

Still think Siena is the favorite in the clubhouse.

The A10 might also stay at 13 for a while. McGlade said that wouldn't be that unusual, since the B10 was at 11, and the ACC at 9 teams for a few years.

The CAA is looking at Davidson too. They need to do something, or that league will continue to be poached to extinction.
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyO »

Siena, Delaware, and NE? Why not invite Johnson and Whales, RI School of Design, and Assumption?

Terrible

Horrible

We were speaking of dropping teams like this from our conference now you want to invite teach who absolutly suck?

.... That being said it is a no from me
ramswin
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ramswin »

The population of Albany's Capitol District is almost as large as the entire State of RI. It's about 8 times bigger than South County. I travel to that area often and there is a lot of support for Siena. They just need to hire the right guy as their next Coach. Siena is the best choice of the schools mentioned and standing pat is not an option.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I travel thru the Albany district often on my way to Saratoga and Lake George.

It's a nice area, not quite as nice as the places mentioned above, but OK.

The A10 could do a lot worse then Siena. Their fan base wants in, but does the A10 want them? Or is the Siena admin waiting for the BE to call someday? Aren't they a Jesuit school? If so, that makes them a fit for the Catholic 9 plus Butler.

Siena might be the BE's target for expansion, along with St Louis. They were under some consideration before the BE added the other 3 schools.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If Siena, the back end of my predictable surprise is in the house.......maybe the A-10 sees something in that Albany market, I don't......
Ram logo via Grist 1938