2/22 | Davidson | 9:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/22 | Davidson | 9:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The top teams this season have shown improvement since league play started, except for St. Louis but they've had personnel issues. Good coaches make good adjustments as the season goes on.

Even the Bonnies have picked it up quite well. Schmidt is a good coach who doesn't have a lot to work with and the pay sucks...if we played them now we would lose.

The others are just bad....but we stand out as the worst, because we were decent at 4-2 in conference...and have fallen off the map since...a massive indictment of this staff.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Guys, who replaces him?
Well, it could have been Akele.
Langevine
Harris
Martin
Tate (Akele)
Dowtin

Fatts off the bench, Thompson off the bench, Preston and Silverio off the bench.
I would not put Fatts at shooting guard because he is a poor shooter, play him off the bench along with Dowtin just as Hurley did last year, sometimes Hurley had Dowtin, Fatts and Garrett all in the game at the same time. But make no mistake, Dowtin was running Hurley’s team no matter if Fatts and/or Garrett were in the game. It was Dowtin team to run, this year it’s Fatts team to run. Dowtin passed first shot second, Fatts shoots first and only passes on crazy drives through the lane rolling the dice to score, assist, get blocked or stolen.

I have no particular opinion on your overall point, but what has Tate done to impress you? Other than back to back games when he made a handful of threes, he's done nothing. Last night. Tate came in the second have and Pritchett scored 7 points in about 45 seconds. We couldn't get a stoppage in play quick enough for Cox to get him out and Martin back in. It's obvious changes need to be made, but I don't see Tate as the answer now or in the future.
Good question. Tate got a lot of accolades coming in. He impressed the KB posters with his internet postings. Big things were expected by many. I have not seen much so far, but he can rebound, passes decently, sees the floor and can shoot the 3 to some extent. As with many his confidence seems shaken.
But fact is I’d have Fatts off the bench, not starting and Jeff at PG just like the past two years. That change of running the floor from Jeff to Fatts changed this team a lot.

So it’s Langevine, Harris, Dowtin Martin and someone else but Jeff must go back to running the team - Not Fatts,

So you have between:
Tate
Preston
Silverio
Leviton
Tertsea
Akele (I wish)

I’d go with Tate or Preston
3 years and nobody knows yet about Tertsea - I’d give the kid a chance to sink or swim especially now that we are in the basement

Seems ludicrous to some but I know Harris can shoot the 3. Sure he is 0-10. Russell hits 1.7 in 10 and there is no limiting his attempts

So
Langevine - 4 or 5
Martin - 2
Dowtin - 1
Harris - 3 or 5

Then could have Preston, Tertsea, Tate fill the other spot. Let them all have a run at it

But not Fatts at PG or at Shooting Guard unless off the bench. I’ve seen enough.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, if this doesn't change next year, there will be no NCAA tourney or anything close to it.

Fatts is who he is by now. He can help us in certain situations but not at PG for more than a few minutes a game.

If Cox doesn't get this, even with more depth [maybe] than HE is who he is...a coach who's clueless and needs to go.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago ramster, if this doesn't change next year, there will be no NCAA tourney or anything close to it.

Fatts is who he is by now. He can help us in certain situations but not at PG for more than a few minutes a game.

If Cox doesn't get this, even with more depth [maybe] than HE is who he is...a coach who's clueless and needs to go.
Rambone, we get it.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago

Yea I’d go with VCU Dayton Davidson’s st Louis George mason and Duquesne as all being better then any WAC or Ivy League team.
The A-10 is not better than expected. It sucks. This is the worst the conference has ever been. You also said that URI was no doubt going to beat Davidson. What makes you think the freshman are going to be that good outside of Martin?
Did the top half of the A10 really get that much worse then last season? Besides Rhody, VCU is a tourney team , Davidson is a bubble team just like last season, Dayton/St Louis improved, Duquesne and GM improved as well. St Joes was a downgrade but I don’t see a day and night difference.
Having one team from the conference make the tourney if VCU wins the postseason isn’t better than expected to me.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

If Tertsea can't make it on the floor this year, he's not good enough. They need bodies & still doesnt play. that is saying something.
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I would just like to see Tertsea on the floor just to be able to see him play. Give the kid a chance.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Could be worse...VCU runs the table, loses the A10T final and still only one team makes it...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Could be worse...VCU runs the table, loses the A10T final and still only one team makes it...
208, if that happens they will get an at large berth. My guess is, the A10 does get 2 bids.

But VCU might need to get to the semis at the very least.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago If Tertsea can't make it on the floor this year, he's not good enough. They need bodies & still doesnt play. that is saying something.
I guess it is also saying something about the guy who recruited him
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But wait,
I thought it was a forgone conclusion that the A10 was a 1 bid league this year?
I said all year long, even back in November when the 1 bid talk was prevalent, that there is no way the A10 gets only 1 bid

Also, common belief was that the A10 was a parity conference, and teams would beat up on one another. That didn’t happen either, at least not for VCU, Davidson and Dayton

And don’t sleep on St Bonaventure come A10 Tourney time. Their 2 outstanding freshmen are steadily improving every game.

Still could be a 3 team bid A10 even if I’m the only one who believes that is possible :roll: :roll:
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

spookydog wrote: 5 years ago If Tertsea can't make it on the floor this year, he's not good enough. They need bodies & still doesnt play. that is saying something.
Ramster, not fair when the guy has hit more than he has missed in the past. Don’t be that guy.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’m a fan of seeing more of Big T.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Tertsea is content being the 13th man on the roster and getting a good education. I know we don't have a full roster right now, but no team is going to play 13 players. You need guys like Tertsea who will sit and not bitch and moan about playing time.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah what a horrible idea it was to take a chance on a physical specimen like Mike Tertsea. We don't land guys like that so I'm fine with us seeing if he could develop. I'm not blaming Cox for that.

We mine as well put him in at this point. Just tell him to crash the boards since we all know we aren't going to make many shots.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We do however need a spot to open up so they can bring in another guard...who hopefully can play.

Some here think that CT won't be back...we'll see.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Could be worse...VCU runs the table, loses the A10T final and still only one team makes it...
208, if that happens they will get an at large berth. My guess is, the A10 does get 2 bids.

Probably...but I was just saying...could be worse...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago
Yeah what a horrible idea it was to take a chance on a physical specimen like Mike Tertsea. We don't land guys like that so I'm fine with us seeing if he could develop. I'm not blaming Cox for that.

We mine as well put him in at this point. Just tell him to crash the boards since we all know we aren't going to make many shots.
You have no idea because you have never seen him play any meaningful minutes.
I’m not saying it was a bad idea at all to bring him in. But we scouted him in HS in DC, we Developed him.
I saw Martin very clearly far better than Thompson so why did it take so long to get him in the starting line up?
If Tertsea can or cannot play, is not the question for me, mine is why the hell NOT put him out there on the floor?
I can tell you I’m not a big fan of Ed Cooley but I guarantee you Tertsea would have seen the floor at PC.
Play Tertsea, Preston and Leviton - it’s over - nothing to be afraid of. And stop please all the reporters that we lack depth when you haven’t even seen the “depth” play.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

They brought in Tertsea, Laysard and Cyril in the same class. Only one has emerged. Because of that, they were forced to take a flyer on Preston as a stop gap...Those decisions have had serious repercussions as far as depth goes (maybe even chemistry) on this team.
Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It will be interesting to see how much next season's recruiting class plays next season, and how well they develop.

Hammond genuinely looks like he'll be a player....Mading can shoot but is he ready to play....Walker imo will definitely help inside.....

And Long? Hopefully he'll give us something.

This is Cox's 1st class by himself.....if they can help us get better great...let's hope they don't turn out to be overrated.....
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago We do however need a spot to open up so they can bring in another guard...who hopefully can play.

Some here think that CT won't be back...we'll see.
Yet no one has said why they think Thompson won’t be back?
Rhody73
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhody73 »

I'm not at all going to dump on Mike Tertsea but I would like to see him play in at least a few meaningful minutes this season. In many games he would at least be the biggest player on the floor ( 6'10'', 250lbs or so). Mostly all I've ever seen of him is in the lay-up lines, at this point what does anyone have to lose? We aren't going anywhere as it is now. He can't embarrass himself any more than some of our other players have this season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CT will be graduating this year. I think he won't do a post grad here, but that's just me thinking out loud.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

CT would best be suited to a lower D1 program.

If he stays here, there's no way he should get the minutes he got this season.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’m not saying it was a bad idea at all to bring him in. But we scouted him in HS in DC, we Developed him.
I saw Martin very clearly far better than Thompson so why did it take so long to get him in the starting line up?
If Tertsea can or cannot play, is not the question for me, mine is why the hell NOT put him out there on the floor?
I can tell you I’m not a big fan of Ed Cooley but I guarantee you Tertsea would have seen the floor at PC.
Play Tertsea, Preston and Leviton - it’s over - nothing to be afraid of. And stop please all the reporters that we lack depth when you haven’t even seen the “depth” play.
I wouldn't mind seeing Tertsea get some run. I'd play guys that we think could be a piece to our future. Right now I'm assuming Tertsea has not developed into a division 1 player. Maybe he will or maybe he'll be like Layssard and just leave.

What's the point of playing Preston? He's gone after this year and after that twitter post I wouldn't play him another second.

I just don't agree that we should play a whiny senior and a 5'5" walk on now that the season is "over". I love Leviton, but he shouldn't be playing unless the game is a blowout with under 5 minutes to play. We need our young guys to continue to grow and learn.

Play the freshman. Play them as much as they can handle. No more CT. We know what he is. Have Omar take his minutes.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I’d protest for Tertsea
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have another coach's show this week.

Should be fun.

Yeah right. Should be a lot of tough questions for DC...of course we know there won't be.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I hope Thompson decides to move on next year, but I don't see why he would. Most guys leave for a lack of playing time. That's certainly not an issue for him. Why go to a lesser conference just so he can play an extra 5 minutes a game? Same with Fatts. Where would he go to find a better situation than here? If he goes to a better basketball school he isn't going to play as much. Perhaps he could drop in conference and be better...just don't see it happening. Jeff and Cyril aren't going anywhere.

So that leaves the freshman. Martin is playing. Don't see Harris leaving Cox. That leaves Tate and Silverio. Maybe they think they would be better suited and see more PT elsewhere, but my gut says they both stay.

I think we are going to sink or swim with these guys. And as much as we all see them improving next year...Take a look at the other freshmen in the conference and how well they've already performed. We better hope the incoming freshman bring an infusion of talent or it's going to be a while before we concern ourselves with NET, RPI, Sagarin, etc...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

86, Thompson should be seeing less minutes next season with more competition for the 2 position.....that's why I think he might leave.

Fatts will still get more minutes than he should....but if Hammond is good maybe he plays somewhat less and becomes the role player that he's suited to be.

And let's hope Cox can recruit a future stud PG for 2020 and beyond. Fatts as PG for 30+ minutes a game after Jeff leaves, doesn't exactly excite me.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hammond is a 2/3, he will suck up Fatts minutes if he can contribute early. JD back to PG
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Hammond is a 2/3, he will suck up Fatts minutes if he can contribute early. JD back to PG
JD back to PG...I'll hold you to that lol......we can all hope!

We might have a chance to be pretty good, if so.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So we still do the slam-dunk contest routine in warm-ups instead of practicing shots we might actually attempt in the game that is a few minutes away...

Davidson, on the other hand, had a kid actually practicing half-court shots right before he left the floor for the final time.
He needed 3 attempts before he made one, but they were all close.
We all know how the first half ended.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago 86, Thompson should be seeing less minutes next season with more competition for the 2 position.....that's why I think he might leave.

Fatts will still get more minutes than he should....but if Hammond is good maybe he plays somewhat less and becomes the role player that he's suited to be.

And let's hope Cox can recruit a future stud PG for 2020 and beyond. Fatts as PG for 30+ minutes a game after Jeff leaves, doesn't exactly excite me.

hope you are right rambone. don't think the fear of what Hammond might bring would make CT leave, but if Hammond is good enough to significantly reduce his minutes, that would obviously be a good thing.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm pretty sure Christion's girlfriend is a URI athlete. That could keep him here too.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago

Their win at Texas is huge now
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

CBS has VCU as a 9 seed. That sounds like a two bid possibility from the A10
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I really think we need to pump the brakes on all the Hammond talk a little. We should learn by now not to expect too much from incoming freshman. Unless a transfer or JUCO guy is brought in I don't think there is a ton of help coming at the guard spot next year.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
McRam wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Well, I’m still a glass half full guy. Cox isn’t going anywhere, so crying about it is pointless. I think our guys seeing some 3s go down may help the confidence a bit. We were never going to beat Davidson with the slump we were in. The kids battled, Tyrese showed some life in the second half. Jermaine has to be able to knock down those 3-7 foot shots. We were in positions to score, but we MISSED wide open shots on too many occasions. As disjointed as the offense looked, it was working. FT % was better, but turnovers still an issue. I’m still optimistic about next season, Hammond and Mading can shoot, and Walker is a grown man. Looking forward to the rotation growing.

Go Rhody! Keep fighting, im going to keep supporting.

I’m ignoring all the negative bullshit, (literally blocked) because it’s pointless.

Sorry DC Ram, Glass was only one third full- Why are you so convinced that they will waste another season with cox? Do the math, it easily could make financial sense to pay him off and fill the place up! I hope you are right about Hammond, and he is a late bloomer, but still not recruited by major bb schools that we know of, Mading is a hope, way to skinny to play and again what schools were recruiting him? This is not a good recruiting class.

I guarantee you firing a HC with a a limited roster who is primed to reload it, would be cataclysmic. You would lose 3/4 of this roster, likely all of the recruits and hire someone to come and rebuild from ground zero.

A level headed AD, which Thorr is, knows better.

Or you fire the head coach and the players that were set to leave, now decide to stay, and other players come with the new coach.

My simple question to DC Ram "IS THIS A WELL COACHED TEAM" ???

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago I really think we need to pump the brakes on all the Hammond talk a little. We should learn by now not to expect too much from incoming freshman. Unless a transfer or JUCO guy is brought in I don't think there is a ton of help coming at the guard spot next year.
That's for sure.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Why on Earth should we be playing Preston and Will when the season is over? That's literally the last thing that we should be doing outside of giving them the start on senior night. At this point we should be maxing the freshmen minutes to see what we have and get them more comfortable at this level
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago But wait,
I thought it was a forgone conclusion that the A10 was a 1 bid league this year?
I said all year long, even back in November when the 1 bid talk was prevalent, that there is no way the A10 gets only 1 bid

Also, common belief was that the A10 was a parity conference, and teams would beat up on one another. That didn’t happen either, at least not for VCU, Davidson and Dayton

And don’t sleep on St Bonaventure come A10 Tourney time. Their 2 outstanding freshmen are steadily improving every game.

Still could be a 3 team bid A10 even if I’m the only one who believes that is possible :roll: :roll:
I am with you - 2 bid league with a chance for 3
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I wouldn't mind seeing Tertsea get some run. I'd play guys that we think could be a piece to our future. Right now I'm assuming Tertsea has not developed into a division 1 player. Maybe he will or maybe he'll be like Layssard and just leave.

What's the point of playing Preston? He's gone after this year and after that twitter post I wouldn't play him another second.

I just don't agree that we should play a whiny senior and a 5'5" walk on now that the season is "over". I love Leviton, but he shouldn't be playing unless the game is a blowout with under 5 minutes to play. We need our young guys to continue to grow and learn.

Play the freshman. Play them as much as they can handle. No more CT. We know what he is. Have Omar take his minutes.
Only reason to play CT at this point is to showcase his game for a pro career overseas - which solves the numbers problems.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago But wait,

I am with you - 2 bid league with a chance for 3
You can’t be serious? That makes no sense in 3 bids. Who are these great teams that deserve bods? The only opportunity for two is if VCU doesn’t win the A-10 tourney and if they for some reason lose a couple more regular season games and don’t do win the tourney it could easily be one. They would make it as of now, but hardly have a great resume. Saying theee deserves to make it just sounds ridiculous. What is next URI can make the tourney with a couple more wins and a run to the title game. The league is awful this year. It is very easy to see this.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Keep in mind teams like Davidson and Dayton did absolutely nothing in their non conference games and Davidson has just the victory over VCU at home. St. Bonaventure’s team last year was better than any team this year including VCU and they were one of the last four in
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago Keep in mind teams like Davidson and Dayton did absolutely nothing in their non conference games and Davidson has just the victory over VCU at home. St. Bonaventure’s team last year was better than any team this year including VCU and they were one of the last four in
Very soft bubble this year. If Davidson and VCU keep up pace and get to the semis they will likely be in. Someone else wins the tourney = 3 teams.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Whether people choose to believe it or not the A-10 is not thought of very highly from a national perspective. This league doesn’t come close to deserving three bids
runrhody
Jim Eitner

Unread post by runrhody »

One correction to a comment near the top of this page. Cox wasn't the one who recruited Laysard and Tertsea. ARD was the big man coach and believed they would be great. After seeing them play Hurley lost complete confidence in ARD and couldn't have been happier when the Clemson offer came his way.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

runrhody wrote: 5 years ago One correction to a comment near the top of this page. Cox wasn't the one who recruited Laysard and Tertsea. ARD was the big man coach and believed they would be great. After seeing them play Hurley lost complete confidence in ARD and couldn't have been happier when the Clemson offer came his way.
.......Oh.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Regarding assistants- Layssard was ARD (ARD said he had NBA potential!), Tertsea and Dowtin were Cox, Langevine was Carr. Regardless, no one should be questioning the overall work Cox did with recruiting as an assistant coach. It was very good.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago Keep in mind teams like Davidson and Dayton did absolutely nothing in their non conference games and Davidson has just the victory over VCU at home. St. Bonaventure’s team last year was better than any team this year including VCU and they were one of the last four in
Very soft bubble this year. If Davidson and VCU keep up pace and get to the semis they will likely be in. Someone else wins the tourney = 3 teams.
If Davidson can run off 6 straight wins, I think they might have a chance at an at-large.
The bubble is Charmin soft this year, and Davidson is still on that bubble.
Their challenge is just lack of opportunity -- Davidson won't wow people by beating up on LaSalle, Fordham, Richmond, and St. Bonaventure.