Message to Coach Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Message to Coach Cox

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

They’re aware of KB and have been for some time but no idea when/who reads it. I am certain they have plenty of other priorities being attended to.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Their family members read here regularly. VERY regularly.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Their family members read here regularly. VERY regularly.
That is a bad idea. Anyone that is part of the team or family member should avoid fan message boards. Nothing good can come from it. I realize Shane checks in on the Board but as SID he isn’t part of the team.
“We will be good when we are good.”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Post by Smokinjimit » 1 hour ago

I do remember how the projo treated URI during the Harrick years. When Lamar was enrolling it got so bad they even rolled out some retired dinosaur to bad mouth the team and the school.

As I have said multiple times including above in this thread I try to keep in mind that the targets of our comments are likely reading them personally or learning about it second hand. Most of the players are social media regulars it is ridiculous to assume they don't wander over here. We know for a fact that relatives of the past coaching staff were relaying info posted here. We also had the ugly multiple exchanges on the forums with a former point guard father.

Just cause I am anonymous here really doesn't mean I should be hurtful.

The nutty professor was a hurtful regular comment made about our university president Robert Carothers who despite apparently keeping wolves on campus was a real nice guy. No Ryan Center for you without him no chance.

While searching the forums for ancient nutty professor commentary I found this more recent nugget. This stuff ain't hard to find pops up all over a internet search. Keep that in mind this thread below is now 5 years old. What you post stays. Same characters commenting there mostly as in this thread. Except sadly my friend Rod is no longer with us to lead the charge.

Clearly time for me to self impose a time out as this stuff just goes round and round. Lots more ProJo talk pops up but you can go hunt it yourself. I'm done.

Click bait below.

As always and most importantly, Go Rhody.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?t=1258
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Their family members read here regularly. VERY regularly.
That is a bad idea. Anyone that is part of the team or family member should avoid fan message boards. Nothing good can come from it. I realize Shane checks in on the Board but as SID he isn’t part of the team.
People care. Families care about perception. Especially handlers and the like. There are even a few players that read what, you all, the fans think of them.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Re: Message to Coach Cox
Post by Smokinjimit » 1 hour ago

I do remember how the projo treated URI during the Harrick years. When Lamar was enrolling it got so bad they even rolled out some retired dinosaur to bad mouth the team and the school.

As I have said multiple times including above in this thread I try to keep in mind that the targets of our comments are likely reading them personally or learning about it second hand. Most of the players are social media regulars it is ridiculous to assume they don't wander over here. We know for a fact that relatives of the past coaching staff were relaying info posted here. We also had the ugly multiple exchanges on the forums with a former point guard father.

Just cause I am anonymous here really doesn't mean I should be hurtful.

The nutty professor was a hurtful regular comment made about our university president Robert Carothers who despite apparently keeping wolves on campus was a real nice guy. No Ryan Center for you without him no chance.

While searching the forums for ancient nutty professor commentary I found this more recent nugget. This stuff ain't hard to find pops up all over a internet search. Keep that in mind this thread below is now 5 years old. What you post stays. Same characters commenting there mostly as in this thread. Except sadly my friend Rod is no longer with us to lead the charge.

Clearly time for me to self impose a time out as this stuff just goes round and round. Lots more ProJo talk pops up but you can go hunt it yourself. I'm done.

Click bait below.

As always and most importantly, Go Rhody.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?t=1258
I'll repeat it again. Donaldson was a tool.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
People care. Families care about perception. Especially handlers and the like. There are even a few players that read what, you all, the fans think of them.
I think 99% of the board love all the kids on the team and want to see them be their best - it feels like we aren’t seeing their best yet this season. That is probably the result of a lot of things (inexperience, program changes, coaching changes, etc.) nothing would make me happier than to see them turn the corner and start playing up to their talent level.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I guess if they weren't at the Dayton game, they got a good feeling of what a shit show it was in front of a sold out Ryan Center by reading.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Looks like Cox did something
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Message to coach Cox: Please resign.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Dino611 wrote: 5 years ago

[/quote

........yeah, but he was.....l
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Before the game. Which is more than you can say about the end of regulation and overtime
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I Accept all apologies to people who questioned my post from last week

CUT BAIT !
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago

I Accept all apologies to people who questioned my post from last week

CUT BAIT !
The problem is, other than losing a practice body, what do you gain?
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Keep your head Coach Cox! A first year coach with 12+ wins clearly indicates that you are establishing a brand. Obviously, it takes time with freshmen playing major minutes in a tougher conference overall. If you look at the A10 standings, no team is “running away with the division” and 2 of the the top teams in the conference, URI beat, so don’t go singing sad songs now!

These are the growing pains of the first year of anything!! The freshman have to adjust to their first year of playing and acclimating to DIV 1 ball, same for the coach! But there is a solid foundation here and lots to build off, especially when next year, we will have a team full of experienced players ready to take a HUGE step forward! #Staypositive #Voiceofreason
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Next year is a huge year for Cox

If we don't do significantly better the natives will start to get restless in a big way
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 5 years ago Keep your head Coach Cox! A first year coach with 12+ wins clearly indicates that you are establishing a brand. Obviously, it takes time with freshmen playing major minutes in a tougher conference overall. If you look at the A10 standings, no team is “running away with the division” and 2 of the the top teams in the conference, URI beat, so don’t go singing sad songs now!

These are the growing pains of the first year of anything!! The freshman have to adjust to their first year of playing and acclimating to DIV 1 ball, same for the coach! But there is a solid foundation here and lots to build off, especially when next year, we will have a team full of experienced players ready to take a HUGE step forward! #Staypositive #Voiceofreason
We are looking for progression, not regression.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tjrams91 wrote: 5 years ago Keep your head Coach Cox! A first year coach with 12+ wins clearly indicates that you are establishing a brand. Obviously, it takes time with freshmen playing major minutes in a tougher conference overall. If you look at the A10 standings, no team is “running away with the division” and 2 of the the top teams in the conference, URI beat, so don’t go singing sad songs now!

I thought I posted on this already , guess not. Our "BRAND" has already been established.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Somebody forgot to tell Nick Honor that it takes time I guess!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cox wishes you were the AD at URI. Get a couple meaningless wins and everyone is happy. There is not a solid foundation in place. We have no shooters which is the most important part of basketball. They will not be good without different players on this team. Anyone expecting big contribution from freshman next year can forget it. Look how the freshman worked out this year.
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Meaninglesss wins?? 12+ wins in the first season with a majority of Freshmen is no small feat! Obviously, your standards are high because of what this team was able to accomplish over the past 4 years, and Coach Cox was smack dab in the middle of all of that success!!

From player development, to recruitment, his mark is all over this team, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, HIS foundation is being solidified now. Once they settle in and adapt to the pace of Div 1 hoops, they will perform as expected! It’s tough to hold this team to the same standard as when they had the 6 players in previous years, who are now playing professionally in some capacity, leave the program.

Look at the history of URI hoops from Harrick, to Skinner, to Hurley..NONE OF THEM blew the doors off in the first year, and in some cases it took longer than that!

Be easy and stay positive! Lots of good stuff to come!!

#nothingbutfacts #GO RHODY
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If memory serves me correctly, Harrick did pretty well his first year here.
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

TJ Ram, appreciate your comments. I believe you are spot on! Some estimates had ya finishing as low as 9th and as high 6th, so we seem to be playing to our expectations. I’m with you and will support this team through this rough spot.

On another note, would love to see more people show up for the women’s team. Fun game Sunday, but could use more support.

Best, Dave
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I see the trolls are out. Not much fun on the friar board now. So have at it. At least we see the problem, friars don't.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The guys giving Cox a hard time are the same ones who tried to run Hurley out of the program in 15-16. The same guys crying when Hurley left. Trust the process. Give Cox a chance to prove he can develop players as a HC and continue a winning program over his 5 year contract.
Quit talking about this until 2022. It’s pointless.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

SandorClegane wrote: 5 years ago The guys giving Cox a hard time are the same ones who tried to run Hurley out of the program in 15-16. The same guys crying when Hurley left. Trust the process. Give Cox a chance to prove he can develop players as a HC and continue a winning program over his 5 year contract.
Quit talking about this until 2022. It’s pointless.

Not Me
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 5 years ago Meaninglesss wins?? 12+ wins in the first season with a majority of Freshmen is no small feat! Obviously, your standards are high because of what this team was able to accomplish over the past 4 years, and Coach Cox was smack dab in the middle of all of that success!!

From player development, to recruitment, his mark is all over this team, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, HIS foundation is being solidified now. Once they settle in and adapt to the pace of Div 1 hoops, they will perform as expected! It’s tough to hold this team to the same standard as when they had the 6 players in previous years, who are now playing professionally in some capacity, leave the program.

Look at the history of URI hoops from Harrick, to Skinner, to Hurley..NONE OF THEM blew the doors off in the first year, and in some cases it took longer than that!

want to check your math on that?

also left out penders who was A10 coach of the year his first year and took the team to the sweet 16 his second.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Tjrams91 wrote: 5 years ago Meaninglesss wins?? 12+ wins in the first season with a majority of Freshmen is no small feat! Obviously, your standards are high because of what this team was able to accomplish over the past 4 years, and Coach Cox was smack dab in the middle of all of that success!!

No offense, but 12 wins in a terrible conference does not justify a parade. I don’t think most people felt this was an NCAA team, but the player development has not been there which is the most frustrating thing. There are teams that win 12 games or less, but you can see you the kids starting to come around and excitement of what is to come. This is the not case here. In college basketball you need to be able to shoot the three or at least be decent in order to win consistently today. We will not be a better shooting team next year with this same group just because they are a year older. I agree with some of the posters like DC in that Cox will be here two more years at least. The truth is we don’t have the money to correct coaching hire mistakes if this is indeed one and will have to bite the bullet for the next couple of years unless a big donor is going to buy our way out. No way URI pays the salary of two coaches.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Why do you have Fatts running point?? Dowtin is one of the best PG’s in the conference, yet we have to watch Fatts run the show..ugh!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fatts 0-4...not helping his % much.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Look for another job
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago Look for another job
You aren’t going to give up your five pack next year are you?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Mongo wrote: 5 years ago Why do you have Fatts running point?? Dowtin is one of the best PG’s in the conference, yet we have to watch Fatts run the show..ugh!!
I think someone said it earlier. No guard depth, so Fatts has to play, and can't have a 5' 10" two that can't shoot.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Mongo wrote: 5 years ago Why do you have Fatts running point?? Dowtin is one of the best PG’s in the conference, yet we have to watch Fatts run the show..ugh!!
I think someone said it earlier. No guard depth, so Fatts has to play, and can't have a 5' 10" two that can't shoot.
Martin can play and so can Silverio. You don’t NEED to play Fatts. So we lose by 36 instead of 32?
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

No offense, but 12 wins in a terrible conference does not justify a parade. I don’t think most people felt this was an NCAA team, but the player development has not been there which is the most frustrating thing. There are teams that win 12 games or less, but you can see you the kids starting to come around and excitement of what is to come. This is the not case here. In college basketball you need to be able to shoot the three or at least be decent in order to win consistently today. We will not be a better shooting team next year with this same group just because they are a year older. I agree with some of the posters like DC in that Cox will be here two more years at least. The truth is we don’t have the money to correct coaching hire mistakes if this is indeed one and will have to bite the bullet for the next couple of years unless a big donor is going to buy our way out. No way URI pays the salary of two coaches.
Ramstock, do we know for sure what the buyout is really? Has anyone actually read the contract?
There is really no choice, the revenues lost from attendance, ncaa, etc certainly offset part or all of what we really have to pay cox.
You don't live with mistakes!!! You fix mistakes!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would tell Coach Cox to stop making excuses after each loss. I am tired of it. Either keep your mouth shut or accept responsibility.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hear hear
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

Ramstock, do we know for sure what the buyout is really? Has anyone actually read the contract?
There is really no choice, the revenues lost from attendance, ncaa, etc certainly offset part or all of what we really have to pay cox.
You don't live with mistakes!!! You fix mistakes!
Correct / this is why I called out to ... CUT BAIT

call Rick Pitino

Oh how that would tick off PC fans LOL

plus he’ll bring in a lot of $ for the school
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Right now any experienced coach with any level of success would do....not really, but you get the idea.

This group is lost in space.

ECR, not sure Rick would love it here in Hooterville...he would be more at home in say, Hookerville.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

So here's a thought mulling around in my head as I try to explain what seems to be a downward spiral (and it is not an excuse for what is going on and is hopefully not interpreted as finger pointing - that's not my intent). The current roster (including at least 3 of the freshmen) are all players recruited to play for DH and his style/system. What if Cox' style and system he wants to implement is too different from DH's and they are having trouble adjusting? Granted, it's not an excuse for not playing hard, but it could be simple as perhaps most of the roster doesn't understand what Cox wants to do, and either he needs to adjust, the players need to adjust better, and/or somehow meet in the middle. The next set of recruits, I'm assuming are picked by Cox to run his system (whatever that will be), so hopefully it will lead to better results. I'm sure this can be picked apart in a million ways, so have at it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If Cox can't win with the players he recruited to Dan's system I don't see how he would be given enough time to show he can win with the guys recruited to his style
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago So here's a thought mulling around in my head as I try to explain what seems to be a downward spiral (and it is not an excuse for what is going on and is hopefully not interpreted as finger pointing - that's not my intent). The current roster (including at least 3 of the freshmen) are all players recruited to play for DH and his style/system. What if Cox' style and system he wants to implement is too different from DH's and they are having trouble adjusting? Granted, it's not an excuse for not playing hard, but it could be simple as perhaps most of the roster doesn't understand what Cox wants to do, and either he needs to adjust, the players need to adjust better, and/or somehow meet in the middle. The next set of recruits, I'm assuming are picked by Cox to run his system (whatever that will be), so hopefully it will lead to better results. I'm sure this can be picked apart in a million ways, so have at it.
The bottom line to me is that these players and team should be improving by now both individually and as a group, and so should the coaching staff.

Not only are they not, but they are regressing seemingly by the minute, to the point where it has become downright embarrassing, to the players themselves, the coaches, and to the fans and the school.

Maybe some here think the bottom has been reached...but each game now is getting progressively worse....when and where does it turn around, if ever?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......OK, here goes, I do not think Cox has a system on either end of floor that is “his” that he is trying to implement, I think he is dabbling in tweeking variations of the previous coach’s systems.....he has made zero statements from I have heard as to what the system is......not that he owes us that......it was mentioned that he wanted to play more up tempo stuff, where is it, I think these players a slow, low motor type players.....he has failed to adopt a style of lay that is recognizable and that has any staying power from game to games with adjustments to each opponent.......further, I do not think the freshmen are nearly as talented as touted in flawed ratings......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RR2, it's the coach's job to adjust his system to take advantage of his players' strengths.....look at Harris..a very effective face to the basket guy in high school, who is being force fed a back to the basket style in college, and it's not working but they keep trying to do it.

And of course are the coaches trying to minimize the horrendous 3 pt. shooing by making adjustments elsewhere? Nope, they just keep letting them fire away with impunity.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago RR2, it's the coach's job to adjust his system to take advantage of his players' strengths.....look at Harris..a very effective face to the basket guy in high school, who is being force fed a back to the basket style in college, and it's not working but they keep trying to do it.

And of course are the coaches trying to minimize the horrendous 3 pt. shooing by making adjustments elsewhere? Nope, they just keep letting them fire away with impunity.

been saying this for weeks

face JH to the hoop

my goodness
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This was from a poster on the VCU board. I have to admit I cringed at the Baronesqueness of this statement when I read it myself in the Projo.

PhantomRam
Top Member Apr 30, 2009 Today at 8:25 AM

Quote from David Cox in RI newspaper (not sure he is going to win any coach of the year honors.)
Cox said. “I thought our struggles came when we couldn’t put the ball in the basket."

Similar to what he said in the Davidson loss:
"I think what happened tonight was because we didn't see that ball go in enough, we got a little bit frustrated," URI coach David Cox said. "We started to settle a little bit. Then there were some cracks in the defense."
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody4Life
Abdul Fox

Re: MESSAGE TO COACH COX

Unread post by Rhody4Life »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody4Life wrote: 5 years ago The "Fatts to the bench" take is hilariously moronic. While Jeff may be our best player at this current moment in time, Fatts is our most talented player. And it's not even close.

Not saying Fatts doesn't deserve any criticism, because he absolutely does with the way he's played at times and with his on court demeanor as well. But let's not get ridiculous.

Players like Fatts don't come around too often. And I'd much prefer him to mature on the court rather than sitting on the bench.

Still want to say Fatts is the most talented player and it's not even close?

Yes. I do.

Maybe "most talented" is not the right adjective, but I don't know how else to articulate it. We will go as he goes. Jeff and Cyril are extremely solid players. But Fatts can change the entire dynamic of any given game, when he's on. Emphasis on "when he's on". Hes a very emotional and inconsistent player. If he can ever hone in that emotion a bit and become more consistent, he has more upside than anyone on the team based on his skill and his confidence that borders on stupidity. And to be any good, you need a player with that kind of swagger.

That's just my opinion though. And again, I'm not saying he is necessarily better or worse than Jeff or Cyril. I just believe he has the potential to be better, much better. Whether he realizes that potential remains to be seen.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

some people should be straight up ashamed of some of the things they wrote about our team (coaches and players) this year.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

My message to Coach Cox is good first season as HC, way to respond to adversities and adjust. I'm proud of the way you all pulled through and did not fold, good late season push. Totally respectable results for a first year HC and a team that graduated 4 starters and it's 6th man.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'