2/16 | Fordham | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/16 | Fordham | 2:00PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm really not sure of what to say about this game. The team had an entire week to prepare for one of the worst teams in the conference.
In my opinion, something is definitely wrong with this team. I don't know what it is, but to loose to Dayton is one thing. Stuff like that happens, but then to have a week of preparation and to loose to Fordham on their home floor in the fashion that they did....somethings up.
- Thompson was the most solid defensive player on that floor today. That was the only positive I saw. He looked much more focused and no where near as lost as he did in the Dayton game.
- The coaching was not good at all.
- The confidence of the players is in the basement and they still don't look like they each have an understanding of how to play with one another. When guards go double teamed at the top of the arc, the other players, in my opinion, didn't move hardly enough to shake the guy guarding them and to get open. Statues are easy to guard.
- The team looked uninspired at times.
- I'm still trying to wrap my head around how bad the team has become at shooting the ball. Last year I realize the seniors look a lot of the attention off the rest of the team, but Down & Fatts could consistently hit a good percentage of their shots when they took them. I don't believe for one second that Dowtin, Fatts, and even Thompson...guys who we've known in the past to hit 3pt shots with ease...all of a sudden simultaneously can't do it. All three?? The players on this team have talent. They have shown in the past that they can hit shots. Something must be affecting all of them. This is just too big of a slump to be called a slump. I feel like they're getting worse offensively...not better.

I have a few theories:
A) Coach Cox is getting out coached and is going through some serious growing pains. This could be leading to a lack of proper guidance for a young team that needs it more than ever.
B) This team as a whole is not mentally strong and have some very fragile psyches.
C) The change in their strength program is seriously messing up all their shots and it's getting worse as the season wears on.
D) Combination of A & B
E) All of the above
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago

Ryan was sitting towards the very end of the bench for the entire game next to Will and Jordan. Was in black sweats.
Here is the write up from the Projo on the situation confirming:

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... r-outburst
I reached my projo article limit for the month and can’t sss without subscribing. Any Projo article I read is either something linked from here or Twitter. Haha

Taylor,

Here is the key part of the article......

SOUTH KINGSTOWN – University of Rhode Island senior forward Ryan Preston, who was indefinitely suspended Saturday for violating team rules, is not a bad guy, people close to the men’s basketball team insist.
“He’s a good kid. He can be a screw up. But a nice screw up,” one insider said.
But there are limits even for nice guys.
A 40-word statement released before the Rams lost, 66-63 in overtime to Fordham in an Atlantic 10 Conference game at Ryan Center, announced that head coach David Cox indefinitely suspended Preston “for violation of team rules.”
Although the statement claimed Preston “will not be in attendance for Saturday’s game against Fordham,” the 6-foot-7, 230-pound product of Brooklyn, NY was on the end of the bench in street clothes. Preston had posted, then deleted, an ill-advised tweet Sunday night, one day after playing sparingly against Dayton.
And it was not clear when or if Preston would return to the Rams who have six regular season games remaining before the A-10 Tournament. On Friday Cox claimed the issue was being handled in-house.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I was at the game and, for the most part, saw the usual stagnant offense. When they did move, they used a head scratching weave about 35 feet from the basket, including having Cyril part of it. It was definitely a wtf moment for me. It served no purpose.
Plenty of mistakes at critical times, but when I joined this board, I decided I would not criticize individual players and I will stick with this today. I will say that it is critical to pay attention to detail and think clearly in a close game.
As for the coach, I was concerned about giving the job to someone who had never been a head coach. It’s a different dynamic to go from assistant to head coach at the same school and I feel URI had reached a level where it shouldn’t be a training ground for a first time head coach. Even though things are trending in the wrong direction, I agree with those who said last week that given his five year contract, it seems a forgone conclusion that he will return next season. I don’t think there’s money to pay two coaches for four years.
Finally, as to not blaming players who want to make a move, that’s a great life lesson to impart: when things get tough, at least part of the reason being you haven’t performed well enough, skip town instead of sticking around to try and fix it. (I resisted the urge to say cut bait instead of skip town. 😀)
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Here is the write up from the Projo on the situation confirming:

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... r-outburst
I reached my projo article limit for the month and can’t sss without subscribing. Any Projo article I read is either something linked from here or Twitter. Haha

Taylor,

SOUTH KINGSTOWN – University of Rhode Island senior forward Ryan Preston, who was indefinitely suspended Saturday for violating team rules, is not a bad guy, people close to the men’s basketball team insist.
A 40-word statement released before the Rams lost, 66-63 in overtime to Fordham in an Atlantic 10 Conference game at Ryan Center, announced that head coach David Cox indefinitely suspended Preston “for violation of team rules.”
Although the statement claimed Preston “will not be in attendance for Saturday’s game against Fordham,” the 6-foot-7, 230-pound product of Brooklyn, NY was on the end of the bench in street clothes. Preston had posted, then deleted, an ill-advised tweet Sunday night, one day after playing sparingly against Dayton.
And it was not clear when or if Preston would return to the Rams who have six regular season games remaining before the A-10 Tournament. On Friday Cox claimed the issue was being handled in-house.
I was posting from my phone and didn’t see my typo “sss”? Used another browser to get to the article, but thank you kindly
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

I truly commend those of you who can remain positive after yesterday...

My take: this season will have long and lasting consequences on our program. The staff will remain (purely financial), there will be an exodus of players (some expected ... some not), recruiting top talent will be more difficult (no tourney, rebuild), remaining players have not developed, the impact on JD and CL is huge.

Jeff - Before the season started, JD was in the NBA conversation (maybe he still is). This season he was asked to do everything with little to no help. It's obviously affected his numbers and he looks downright tired. He will never again see a national tourney worthy of his talents. Absolutely criminal for this extremely talented player.

Cyril - The guy is an outright gladiator. He is a rebounding machine who busts his butt night in and night out. One can only imagine how good he could be if he received meaningful instruction from a top tier coach. Another talented player that will not see the tourney again! Sad.
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

DanInAZ wrote: 5 years ago The team stats over most games are equal or better in every category except anything shooting related (FTs, 3Ps, 2Ps)... I see mental mistakes because they are down, and one mistake early in a game sets them down a path for lowering their confidence even more. It compounds the problem.

The simply have zero confidence shooting. Plain. And. Simple.

They regain their confidence, they hit shots, everything changes. Or is it they hit their shots and they regain their confidence? In either case, if they start to hit shots they will be fine. I am confident this coach and roster are fine. Someone has to be fanatic and believe.

We can either be true fans and get behind the team, especially when they struggle or we are no help to them. We just make it tougher for them to feel good about or do we only try to pick them up when they are meeting our own expectations for how well they should play, how many wins they 'should' have, leave the court losing 10 pounds of sweat spent due to hustle or how ever else you want to quantify your disgust with them or the coach? Unless some of you are ready to start rooting for another team? *prays* some of you leave the fan base never to return. Please for the love of god I hope this happens. I would never want to be associated to the likes of some of you negative people.

I would have told any URI alum or student to F*ck off if they ever got on me, my teammates, or my coach for losing a game, or missing a shot, letting in a goal, or making a mental mistake, or not hustling. I will say it again. They play for each other and NOT you. They feel worse than you ever will for the situation they find themselves in. It is absolutely killing Fatts right now. This team doesn't have an in your face, floor leader. Maybe the TWolves, can rent out JT and let him get on the players? Jeff isn't that guy. Read that recent article with Kenny Green? Tommy Garrick knew when to slap his teammates and get them focused. This team, doesn't have that person right now. You think D Tate wouldn't if he were a senior right now? Name one Freshman that would? Ask yourself who on the roster is that type of guy or has the currency or tenure to act this way?

They hit shots and everything would be different and I can assure you they practice shooting. Or maybe another coach can have better practice drills with shooting to get them back on track?

Coach Cox, I am glad you are URI's basketball coach. And the same goes for every player. Thank you.

Dan
Dan, I am with you on this and with this team! I’m no alum, no family members are alum, and I have no connection to the school other than proximity. I met Hurley during his second season in town and he suggested that I check out a game. A year later we bought 2 season tickets, a year later 4. We have attended every A-10 but Pittsburgh and we contribute to the URI basketball program. We support the team and will continue to support the team - through the ups and downs - period.
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

Taylor,

I was posting from my phone and didn’t see my typo “sss”? Used another browser to get to the article, but thank you kindly

Stay tuned - more to the story.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago I truly commend those of you who can remain positive after yesterday...

My take: this season will have long and lasting consequences on our program. The staff will remain (purely financial), there will be an exodus of players (some expected ... some not), recruiting top talent will be more difficult (no tourney, rebuild), remaining players have not developed, the impact on JD and CL is huge.

Jeff - Before the season started, JD was in the NBA conversation (maybe he still is). This season he was asked to do everything with little to no help. It's obviously affected his numbers and he looks downright tired. He will never again see a national tourney worthy of his talents. Absolutely criminal for this extremely talented player.

Cyril - The guy is an outright gladiator. He is a rebounding machine who busts his butt night in and night out. One can only imagine how good he could be if he received meaningful instruction from a top tier coach. Another talented player that will not see the tourney again! Sad.
All true and good points. Expect to see a lot of turnover and unfortunately anyone expecting Cox not to be here next year will be disappointed. We just don’t have the money that the big schools have to make this happen. Also you can tell Bjorn isn’t the type of AD that will put the hammer down on Cox. He will get another year 100% no matter what happens the rest of the year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago I truly commend those of you who can remain positive after yesterday...

All true and good points. Expect to see a lot of turnover and unfortunately anyone expecting Cox not to be here next year will be disappointed. We just don’t have the money that the big schools have to make this happen. Also you can tell Bjorn isn’t the type of AD that will put the hammer down on Cox. He will get another year 100% no matter what happens the rest of the year.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least 2 more years no matter what...
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago I was at the game and, for the most part, saw the usual stagnant offense. When they did move, they used a head scratching weave about 35 feet from the basket, including having Cyril part of it. It was definitely a wtf moment for me. It served no purpose.
Plenty of mistakes at critical times, but when I joined this board, I decided I would not criticize individual players and I will stick with this today. I will say that it is critical to pay attention to detail and think clearly in a close game.
As for the coach, I was concerned about giving the job to someone who had never been a head coach. It’s a different dynamic to go from assistant to head coach at the same school and I feel URI had reached a level where it shouldn’t be a training ground for a first time head coach. Even though things are trending in the wrong direction, I agree with those who said last week that given his five year contract, it seems a forgone conclusion that he will return next season. I don’t think there’s money to pay two coaches for four years.
Finally, as to not blaming players who want to make a move, that’s a great life lesson to impart: when things get tough, at least part of the reason being you haven’t performed well enough, skip town instead of sticking around to try and fix it. (I resisted the urge to say cut bait instead of skip town. 😀)
The coach may wind up sucking - but I think he needs to be evaluated after next year. This is a young team that should be 5th in the standings right now but for some dumb play down the stretch - sounds an awful lot like Hurley teams before they were Juniors and seniors.

One thing I still don’t understand is the amount of PT that Cyril is getting. He has been great (FTs excepted) but I think he is getting too many minutes. That goes for Fatts as well. Coach needs to build a better rotation and find a freakin way to JH involved where he can get to the line.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't think Cox is doing a good job, but if we are even just an average shooting team it makes everyone look a lot better and his job a lot easier. I think the vast majority of the problems has to do with our guards that can't shoot and the one guy who gets to the foul line a ton can't hit FT's. Solve these issues and the season is completely different even with his suspect coaching.

I feel like our players have the "quicksand" Issue:

Last edited by RIFan 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

'law...JH IS involved. He picks up a couple fouls early, and usually cheerleads the 2nd half. It's what he does.
Question...if you looked at 'average distance from opponent's basket per foul'...would JH even have any competition?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thinking back, I forgot we even had a coach for 90% of that game. That’s telling, and I was there.
GO RAMS
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

RIF, ...agree with everything you said, but I would add that one of DC's primary responsibilites is the evaluation and deployment of his talent. It was up to him to decide if we had the right personnel, and if not, go get it.

He bet the farm that CT was the answer at 3rd guard.
He forfeited the Aris schol.
He evaluated our freshman to play at this level.
Then there's the whole Fatts/ Jeff change positions experiment.

Yes, we can't shoot, but this staff had plenty of opportunity early on to address the issue.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 5 years ago I was at the game and, for the most part, saw the usual stagnant offense. When they did move, they used a head scratching weave about 35 feet from the basket, including having Cyril part of it. It was definitely a wtf moment for me. It served no purpose.
The coach may wind up sucking - but I think he needs to be evaluated after next year. This is a young team that should be 5th in the standings right now but for some dumb play down the stretch - sounds an awful lot like Hurley teams before they were Juniors and seniors.
The 14-15 team (Jarvis and Jared were freshmen, EC and Hassan were sophomores) went 13-5 in conference. That team, with its youth as its core, seemed to have difficulty closing games against high quality opponents. The comparisons are pointless. Assess this team and staff on its own merit.

Once a season starts, there are things that a staff can adjust and some things they have to weather. The question should be, is this or any staff having a positive effect on all of the things they can change? Are their skills being maximized? Are these guys, with whatever skill deficit they have, showing up at game time prepared? Was the practice leading up to the game used efficiently? Are the players locked in mentally the night before a game? That’s during the season.

Off-season, it’s all about skills assessment and roster management. This roster essentially started the season with 11 guys, and that’s including Aris and his whole situation. Looking back, could they have gotten better guys earlier to replace Akele and Layssard that would have contributed? I don’t know, but all of these things are hopefully learning experiences.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago How was Harris ever a top 100 guy? 4 stars and all.
To counter your question, Is it possible Harris really is a Top 100 guy, 4 stars?

Harris shot 80% FTs in HS. He is shooting 74% FTs as a freshman, just behind Dowtin and Russell at 75%. Harris has proven he can shoot.

Questions in my mind:
- Rarely is he taking any 10’ to 15’ shots. Why wouldn’t we have a 6’8” player who is an excellent shooter for his size, taking shots like these?
- He receives the ball at the FT line, passes back out, breaks to the hoop and is often open, yet rarely gets a pass returned to him. Why not pass to him?
- He holds the ball too low whereby guys can swipe at it versus using his height and wingspan to hold the ball above the defensive pressure. Why doesn’t he hold the ball high?
- On defense he shows a lot of energy, very quick feet for a big man. However he seems all over the court. He is picking up guards and trapping them at half court, even caused 2 TOS yesterday, but he commits some cringeworthy fouls doing this. Is the Coaching staff directing him to do this? 24 games into the season I have to believe it’s the HC telling him to do this - but why?
- If it’s NOT the HC directing him to pick up guards at half court and at the 3 point line, then why does he continue to do it and pick up silly fouls?
- Why is he picking up guards out at the 3 point line? He almost got his 4th foul yesterday on a guard attempting a 3 but then the guard was ruled out of bounds - that’s how far Harris was from the paint.
- Harris jumps Center well and often tips the ball to Dowtin. So why didn’t Harris jump to start the OT? He had 4 fouls so he could have won the tip. Simple things?
- Who is the big man coach? Who is working with Harris? Does he have a mentor a la ARD? He seems to have great potential but he is a high potential wild horse in need of instruction and guidance. He needs good plays called for him and we’ll executed by the guards. If he gets fouled he is money at the FT line so why not feed him the ball?
- Why now let him play until he fouls out? Was glad to see him reenter in the 1st half with 2 fouls (DH would never do that) but then he played sparingly in the 2nd half. Why?
- I would hate to see him transfer. Love his shooting skills, enthusiasm, height, length and potential.
- Been saying for months now, let the Freshmen play, especially Harris. There is nothing to lose, except you could lose a guy like Harris if he does not feel he is getting adequate playing time and/or getting the development he expected to receibe when he made the decision to go to URI. Would be a shame to lose him.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I still think JH has tons of ability, but he’s in a system that’s isn’t alowing him to show it.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I still think JH has tons of ability, but he’s in a system that’s isn’t alowing him to show it.
As do I.
I also don’t think he is getting managed well on the sidelines. Pats on the back for things done well, constructive criticism for mistakes.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The end of overtime showed how inept and hopeless this coaching staff is. Why didn't they take a timeout with around 25 seconds left? We had possession, the shot clock was off, and we were scrambling around like a chicken with our head cut off. We wait to call a timeout then we call two timeouts with 11.9 seconds left and the play we get is a Christion Thompson three from four feet behind the line? Why was Langevine in the game for the last possession? He obviously isn't going to shoot a three and he wasn't involved in inbounding the ball. If you need/want a bigger body in the game at that point why don't you have Tate in? Not that you want him to be the first option but at least he's shown an ability to knock down a three. Why wasn't Silvario out there? Isn't that situation good for his skillset right now? Don't worry about defense, if you get the chance hit the three?

But it was more than that obviously. How do you have a whole week to fix yourself and prepare for Fordham and still lose? And it's not like Fordham shot lights out or played way above their heads and it's not like we played appreciably worse than we have. Fordham sucked yesterday just as much as normal. But outside of the time between the timeout where Jared and Hassan were announced and Tate's technical and Cyril's play throughout Fordham was the clearly superior team. Let me repeat, for about 37 minutes yesterday Fordham sucked and yet were still the clearly superior team and only one guy on our team kept it close. Yesterday Fordham was better than us and it wasn't an anomaly. That's fucking disgusting.

We make as many or even more mental mistakes now than we did earlier in the season. If we had a good head coach wouldn't we see the opposite? Our freshmen still are having a minimal impact. If we had a good head coach shouldn't they be having a bigger impact? If you want to let Cox off the hook and say the freshmen aren't that good, why did Cox recruit them? Our guys are shooting as bad or worse than ever. Shouldn't Cox be putting them in positions to succeed and using his skills as a coach to get them on the path to improvement? Why are we getting worse?

Cox isn't a good head coach and it's painfully obvious to anyone paying attention. Our team is regressing, he doesn't command the respect of the players and can't close on his top recruiting targets as the head coach. Every year he coaches after this season is a year we get further away from where we want to be. Welcome back to the Jerry D/Baron era
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......this is ouch coming......I suspect he, JH, is not being specifically coached up in a crash course, triage type teaching his position......I am beginning to dislike the hedging type double up on defense so far from the basket.......and this seems to repeat itself game after game......I think coaching would alter this.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago ...Because they all know it's just one game, so, ok, go ahead, but sit down thattaway and NO uni...?
...The coaches didn't know he was there, just like usual...?
...That's actually a seat you can buy...he just happened to buy that seat...?

OK, now someone else speculate!
I don’t care to speculate, but if a release at 11 o’clock says one thing and three hours later, a different thing happens, that seems strange to me.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago ...Because they all know it's just one game, so, ok, go ahead, but sit down thattaway and NO uni...?

I don’t care to speculate, but if a release at 11 o’clock says one thing and three hours later, a different thing happens, that seems strange to me.
Whatever the reason actually is, it’s hard not to see it as emblematic of a larger issue at the top of the program - whether that is a lack of authority, inconsistency, disorganization or dysfunction. Maybe that’s unfair because if this team were 20-4 probably nobody would care, but in light of everything that is going on on the court and everything that seems to be going on off of it, it’s worth noting.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is a sign of mixed messaging which in itself is not good when dealing with the impressionable young.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Link please to statement directly from URI MBB or AD that Ryan would not be on the bench?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The longer URI waits to replace Cox, the more they will need the type of coach who can clean up the program. The groundhog sees his shadow and it will be 11 years of no NCAA appearances and I think I've seen this all before.
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago

It is a sign of mixed messaging which in itself is not good when dealing with the impressionable young.
And therefore worthy of speculation
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

The score was tied in OT with about a minute left...Fordham ball. I knew two double digit scorers had just fouled out. Not being at all familiar with their team, I looked at the scoreboard and saw points scored of 0, 3, 4, 7 and 16 for their players on the floor. Honor had 16 pts and I immediately looked for him on the floor. I specifically watched Fatts drift away from him and into the lane. I'm not really sure what kind of help Fatts is going to be in the lane. I remember saying get on the guy in the corner about a pass before the pass that actually got there. Yes...Fatt's made a great effort to contest the shot, but he was too late. Honor already had a bead on the basket.

Opposing threes from that corner have cost us a handful of games in the 5 years, but it's hard to feel we are just down on our luck when I see a play like that. Of all the guys on the floor, how do you leave by far their leading scorer alone? Is that on Fatts for drifting too far away or the coaching staff for not making sure we guard their best player?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago The score was tied in OT with about a minute left...Fordham ball. I knew two double digit scorers had just fouled out. Not being at all familiar with their team, I looked at the scoreboard and saw points scored of 0, 3, 4, 7 and 16 for their players on the floor. Honor had 16 pts and I immediately looked for him on the floor. I specifically watched Fatts drift away from him and into the lane. I'm not really sure what kind of help Fatts is going to be in the lane. I remember saying get on the guy in the corner about a pass before the pass that actually got there. Yes...Fatt's made a great effort to contest the shot, but he was too late. Honor already had a bead on the basket.

Opposing threes from that corner have cost us a handful of games in the 5 years, but it's hard to feel we are just down on our luck when I see a play like that. Of all the guys on the floor, how do you leave by far their leading scorer alone? Is that on Fatts for drifting too far away or the coaching staff for not making sure we guard their best player?
Yes.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I see a lot of Jack Gibbs in Honor. He's short, he's stout, he's good, he dives a lot, and he's overdramatic. He's going to be a pain in the ass until he transfers to a better program
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Link please to statement directly from URI MBB or AD that Ryan would not be on the bench?
These releases tend to not be publicly released. This seems to be from the team and not commentary from Will.

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

A 5 minute contribution from Preston could have meant victory yesterday if only just to relieve obviously tired legs. The decision to sit him was a strong move by DC.

If we cannot directly attribute the statement that he would not be on the bench to Rhody MBB it is unfair to accuse our HC of flip flopping IMHO.

Perhaps one of our media folks can provide clarity?

The remainder of the season will be judged but it should be judged fairly. A lot of eyes are on what the 30 or so regular posters write here on KeaneyBlue
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago A 5 minute contribution from Preston could have meant victory yesterday if only just to relieve obviously tired legs. The decision to sit him was a strong move by DC.

If we cannot directly attribute the statement that he would not be on the bench to Rhody MBB it is unfair to accuse our HC of flip flopping IMHO.

Perhaps one of our media folks can provide clarity?

The remainder of the season will be judged but it should be judged fairly. A lot of eyes are on what the 30 or so regular posters write here on KeaneyBlue
I don’t think the coach flip-flopped and never said he did. I think there was a lack of communication. It seems as if the release from the school indicated that he was suspended and would not be in attendance.

This is typically how these “releases” work-

Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I have seen just about every minute of every game this season. It has been very disappointing. That said, I think there are a lot of people overreacting. I think the bottom line is that the expectations for this season were too high, mine included. We thought the roster was better than it is. We thought the freshman would have a greater impact. We were wrong. Our shooting has been awful and we have no depth. I'm not sure any other coach could be doing much better. There is still a chance we can turn it around a little and finish stronger down the stretch. I just think it is was it is...we are a .500 team. Next year will be better.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 5 years ago I have seen just about every minute of every game this season. It has been very disappointing. That said, I think there are a lot of people overreacting. I think the bottom line is that the expectations for this season were too high, mine included. We thought the roster was better than it is. We thought the freshman would have a greater impact. We were wrong. Our shooting has been awful and we have no depth. I'm not sure any other coach could be doing much better. There is still a chance we can turn it around a little and finish stronger down the stretch. I just think it is was it is...we are a .500 team. Next year will be better.
I disagree. The expectations were in line with the talent here and the talent coming in.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......did I hear at games end some grumblings, a few boo birds......?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It's possible that Cox may just be cut out to be a top Assistant coach in a good program where he can recruit
Or maybe a head coach at a lower D1 like a Pat Skerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Thinking back, I forgot we even had a coach for 90% of that game. That’s telling, and I was there.
Hasn't he been coached about that foul he picks up near half court every game, or the one he commits on offense setting a pick every game? If so, he just doesn't get it. Which leads me to another question...we have two new veteran coaches on our staff. What exactly do they do?
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Not playing Harris in OT was a huge mistake. He had fresh legs and the team hadn't subbed in a while. I also don't understand why Omar wasn't on the floor for the final shot so we had five people who could hit a 3. The big mistake was Martin attempting to take a shot when we were up, he should have held the ball. After he got his shot blocked he was slow to get back and it was a 5 on 4. Who was called for the lane violation>? One of the worst games I have seen in some time.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Thinking back, I forgot we even had a coach for 90% of that game. That’s telling, and I was there.
Hasn't he been coached about that foul he picks up near half court every game, or the one he commits on offense setting a pick every game? If so, he just doesn't get it. Which leads me to another question...we have two new veteran coaches on our staff. What exactly do they do?
What I don’t know Billyboy, is if it is part of the game plan for Harris to pick up a guy at half court? It happens every game. Then he picks up a stupid foul and the guards he is covering sometimes bait him into the foul. Is it possible this is Harris’ idea to do this? If so, then why don’t the coaches stop it? We are 24 games into the season and some of the same things from week 1 are still being questioned.

He also covers guards out to the 3 point line and beyond.

You are right on the offensive oick too. Why, oh why is the same stupid foul still being called?

This is what is frustrating to watch. Other teams are improving as the season goes on, we are treading water or slowly sinking further.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bwerner10 wrote: 5 years ago Not playing Harris in OT was a huge mistake. He had fresh legs and the team hadn't subbed in a while. I also don't understand why Omar wasn't on the floor for the final shot so we had five people who could hit a 3. The big mistake was Martin attempting to take a shot when we were up, he should have held the ball. After he got his shot blocked he was slow to get back and it was a 5 on 4. Who was called for the lane violation>? One of the worst games I have seen in some time.
HUGE mistake not playing Harris in the OT. I said it when I saw them come out. At LEAST have Harris in for the tip. Harris is a much better player than this coaching staff appears to think. Many of his mistakes are easily correctable but they don’t seem to be getting resolved. He is an excellent shooting big man but he is not getting many shot attempts. He is an excellent FT Shooter but we are not working the ball inside and low to him.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........I suspect that the practice defensive drills and coaching of the on the ball defense brings this Harris situation.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ........I suspect that the practice defensive drills and coaching of the on the ball defense brings this Harris situation.......
Do they use real live basketballs in practice?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I will say this team looked like they were working hard on defense, especially in the first half.
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I will say this team looked like they were working hard on defense, especially in the first half.
We played Fordham. The worst team in the conference. It was pathetic.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I will say this team looked like they were working hard on defense, especially in the first half.
We played Fordham. The worst team in the conference. It was pathetic.
Fordham had won 1 game in the A10 - ONE. And we had them on our home court with a crowd of 6,300 with JT and HM on hand visiting and we were favored by 11.5 points. It was bad.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The third picture is my favorite. Love to see Jared and Hassan together again

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

team and coach is a joke right now

We have too much talent for this sh*t to happen vs ... wait for it... FORDHAM

emBARONsing
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

I will be really upset if we don’t bring in a big man coach next year to help JH and MM. We should have asked Hass to work with Harris for 2 days while he was here. The kid will get better but he is too bouncy. He looks like Tigger out there getting into his sets on defense. Wasted precious milliseconds bouncing to positions he needs to be in have cost him 50% of his total fouls. Watch the tapes if you think my point is crazy. Take the springs out of his sneaks. It’s a teachable fix; just like defensive angles. He can get better. But he needs instruction and with good teaching he might be able to play 22 plus minutes a game next year without having four fouls at the mid point
And btw...The hedging at the 3 point line isn’t the problem for him if he plays it like CL (who had the benefit of ARD for a year). We need someone who can teach the bigs.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......did I hear at games end some grumblings, a few boo birds......?
Yes, I heard some boos; I'm in 203.

It was so bad late in the game that some people were just laughing and shaking their heads at what was going on. Pretty sad.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
What I don’t know Billyboy, is if it is part of the game plan for Harris to pick up a guy at half court? It happens every game. Then he picks up a stupid foul and the guards he is covering sometimes bait him into the foul. Is it possible this is Harris’ idea to do this? If so, then why don’t the coaches stop it? We are 24 games into the season and some of the same things from week 1 are still being questioned.

He also covers guards out to the 3 point line and beyond.

You are right on the offensive oick too. Why, oh why is the same stupid foul still being called?

This is what is frustrating to watch. Other teams are improving as the season goes on, we are treading water or slowly sinking further.
Harris was out almost at mid court when he committed that one foul (his second I think).