All-time Rhody team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: All-time Rhody team

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

KeaneyDays wrote: 5 years ago Just seeing all the names of your faves brings back fond memories watching all but a few of them play. I wonder if there is an archive of videos with highlights from past years teams? I would love to see video of some of the players some of you mention from the 70s and 80s. In fact putting a documentary together of highlights of URI basketball over the past 50 years would be really cool to watch.
RhodySurf has taken many of the DVDs I created years ago off donated VHS tapes from KeaneyBlue members (Back then it was the Projo URI board) and uploaded to YouTube.

Here's a listing of what's available. There were also some season highlights 30 minute videos which I'm not sure he has, but they exist, for the teams in the late 90s.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3NaTXG0JWAWtNgATlv-pIQ40dqTHD-D4cPSGt8BTbY/edit#gid=0
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KeaneyDays wrote: 5 years ago Just seeing all the names of your faves brings back fond memories watching all but a few of them play. I wonder if there is an archive of videos with highlights from past years teams? I would love to see video of some of the players some of you mention from the 70s and 80s. In fact putting a documentary together of highlights of URI basketball over the past 50 years would be really cool to watch.
There are videos of the tourney games from that great late 80s team. I haven’t been able to find anything from the 70s.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago 1998

The 1998 comp is my favorite. I can't count how many times I've watched it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I could watch Tyson all day. Love watching great PGs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who could forget the Syracuse game in 88

Musberger and Packer on the call

Kenny Green on the monster ally oop and Musberger yells How do you do !! Great memories
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Who could forget the Syracuse game in 88

Musberger and Packer on the call

Kenny Green on the monster ally oop and Musberger yells How do you do !! Great memories
“How do you do!”
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago I wasn't born until 1990, but I watched some of the 88' tournament game vs Mizzou last night. Green was a roadblock in the paint defensively. That team passed the ball extremely well and RAN, fast break city.
They averaged 86.5 points per game, one of the top scoring teams in the country. Yes , they were fun to watch.

They basically played 6 guys all year. Silk and Tommy played 40 minutes a lot
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

There was nothing better than being in NC in 1988. I was a student and those were our guys. The dean smith center was filled with Duke fans and they were all cheering for us to beat Syracuse. Was one of the best days ever.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago It said All Time Rhody Team...(not necessarily starting 5 so here is my team):

All Time Team since 2004 ("S" = starter):
Will Daniels - S (When taller line up needed)
Dawan Robinson
Keith Cothran
Lamont Ulmer - S (for the love of elevation, but could honestly put any of the others in this spot)
Delroy James
Jimmy Baron
Xavier Munford
E.C. Mathews - S (When smaller line up needed)
Hassan Martin - S
Jared Terrell - S
Jeff Dowtin - S

All Time Team:
Wheeler
Mobley
Terrell
Hassan Martin
Kenny Green
Lamar Odom
E.C. Mathews
Will Daniels
Jimmy Baron
Delroy James
Sly Williams
Tom Garrick
I'm not that old, so I could be missing some old timers here.
If you ever Silk Owens you'd have him in there. IMO, the best point guard we've had. Also,
going back a few yrs. John Fultz (Rod's favorite), Art Stephenson and Steve Chubin should be on this list.
We're lucky to have so many good ones.
Of course, these lists are all subjective.

I agree. I saw the trivia at the game today and realize I didn't even have "Silk" on the list and knew right then that someone on the board was going to say something about it and sure enough here it is. :lol:
I amend my all time team to include Owens, Fultz, Stephenson, & Chubin. It's a big team with lots of depth. :lol:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey