2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 2/2 | St. Louis | 4:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Gotta love TM

We need the other freshman to step it up

Let’s go RHODY !!!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We know what team showed up today! Good bounce back! We can win in Brooklyn playing like this.
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Good win. Need to keep winning at home at least.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great win !!

Jeff and Tyrese came up big
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Good win...we are becoming more consistent and tough to beat at home.....defense much better.

Tyrese is also putting up good numbers every game now.

More bumps ahead but we're getting there little by little.

Shame we blew the Duquesne game or we would be in a good spot halfway through the conference season.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Funny that French bricking so many FT's reminded me of Cyril the other night.

The difference is, we lost that game largely because he missed so many....French's misses weren't quite as big a factor since we won by 11.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Good win and good close out. Hit most free throws down the stretch and pulled away. Great games from Dowtin and Martin. Also CL has an underrated game. 40 second half points
Last edited by steviep123 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Glad the team played solid for the home fans

We needed that

Well done

Really like what I see from TM
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Just got home, nice win and much needed. Team looked solid and even both halves. FTs much improved. They still manage to put the ball in Fatts' hands when they have the shot clock winding down. Can't help but think Cox wants Fatts to have the ball in those situations, and not sure why?

Martin is for real and is going to be a special player here. What a show.
Mobley was fouled.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The 4 assists (career high) from Cyril was due to COACHING!

The ball didn’t die in his hands today. They made an adjustment that when they fed him the ball, someone would cut to the basket, allowing him to have HELP in those situations. He was alert and aware today. Love his stat line, even only having 6 pts.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago The 4 assists (career high) from Cyril was due to COACHING!

The ball didn’t die in his hands today. They made an adjustment that when they fed him the ball, someone would cut to the basket, allowing him to have HELP in those situations. He was alert and aware today. Love his stat line, even only having 6 pts.
Totally agree. Plus five blocks!
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

St. Louis fans are not a happy group right now.

Yes they lost their top recruit, but much more was expected from them this year.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Good win . One down and now another one to go against Davidson . Defense played the whole 40 minutes today. The team played a very nice final 10 minutes to pull away. Dowtin and Martin carried the offense. Martin is very poised and confident now . though the officials allowed SLU to
put their hands all over players, especially Cyril , but they fought through it to get the win . We need to see the same 40 minutes of D on Wednesday.
shooting will hopefully improved against the more relaxed defense of Davidson . should help Langevine pick up more points . Only Martin and dowtin
are hitting anything . that has to chage against Davidson if they want to win. Happy overall with this win.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just got back and I will say Tyrese is my favorite player now. Dude hustles on both ends and just involves himself in every possession. I still see some issues with chemistry. But maybe that's me. Good win. Travis is still a dick.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Our future is brighter than St. Louis's......remember they have Travis Ford.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Lots of good stuff today, most already mentioned. I only have one complaint about today's game. Who puts light gray lettering on a white t-shirt? Yes, it was free, but still...Kidding, kind of, but keaney blue lettering would have been cool.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago St. Louis fans are not a happy group right now.

Yes they lost their top recruit, but much more was expected from them this year.

I bet they're not thrilled about the Super Bowl, either.😀
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Louis played really tough halfcourt defense but their offense is pretty bad and they stunk at the line

I like when we get the ball to Cyril at the free throw line and he faces up he can go either way to the basket

Tyrese is so very athletic hopefully he becomes more of a scoring option
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 5 years ago St Louis played really tough halfcourt defense but their offense is pretty bad and they stunk at the line

I like when we get the ball to Cyril at the free throw line and he faces up he can go either way to the basket

Tyrese is so very athletic hopefully he becomes more of a scoring option
He got 16 tonight. He is making himself a scoring option. Plus 10 rebounds.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I also think when we can get Harris where HE gets the ball at the FT line, with his face to the hoop game, should really open things up.

Tyrese's emergence is the reason we're winning the games we're winning. Get JH and Tate going, and that's where we could be pretty good soon.

We need more scoring options since we are so bad at shooting 3's.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Harris is close. And I also didn't mind the 3s he took. He has a good mid range shot that goes down consistently. He is not getting as emotional when he gets fouled, which is the first step to overcoming the fouls. Dude is going to be a beast soon. I can't tell if he has hops, because I haven't seen one alley oop to him. But I wish he would show more hops.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Great game

Time to buy a Tyrese jersey

Fatts took better shots mostly. Would like to see him drive and dish more.

If Harris, Martin, and Tate keep improving at this rate we will be a totally different team. Next I want Harris to shoot more and Cyril to dribble a bit less.

Travis Ford is a weird dude.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Jermaine has a nice touch and is solid from the line. I want to see more plays run through him. If he can avoid the cheap fouls there's no reason why he can't hit double figures every game.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Good solid bounce back win.. worked hard on d for 40 minutes and hit some big shots to pull away at the end.. solid effort by everyone...
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Hope you guys are right

We are running out of games for JH to get some consistency in his offensive output

Come on JH / connect the dots .. all the dots
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't think Harris is a leaper...of course he might still have lingering effects from his injury?

But he's plenty big enough to develop into a really good rebounder and scorer. He's no Zion Willamson hops wise though.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Nice win. Great FT% for a change. And the other team struggled, which is always appreciated. Defense played hard for 40 minutes.

French is a beast. He's one of the few guys in the conference that can take it to Cyril like that. But Cyril held his own. Some BS calls against CL too.

CT. I feel like he plays in slow motion. And his court vision is limited. Kid tries, but the game doesn't come to him like it does with some of our other guys (i.e. TM).

TM...kid has game. Love what I'm seeing. Great take to his left tonight with the shot clock winding down. Strong drives. Awesome dunk at the end, followed up by a sweet alleyoop. He is going to be special.

Fatts. Decent game, couple nice drives, good FT shooting. Still ended up with the ball in his hand at the end of too many shot clocks tho. I want the ball in Dowtin or Martin's hands in those situations as much as possible.

Harris has such a soft touch. I think we're just seeing the beginning of what will be a solid player. Plays hard. Once he reduces the silly fouls, bulks up a little more, and has the game slow down for him a bit, he will be good.

Dowtin. So solid as usual. Not much else to say on him.

If we can take this game at Davidson, next Sat is going to be fun. Hope it happens. No reason we can't.
Last edited by spar 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Harris is close. And I also didn't mind the 3s he took. He has a good mid range shot that goes down consistently. He is not getting as emotional when he gets fouled, which is the first step to overcoming the fouls. Dude is going to be a beast soon. I can't tell if he has hops, because I haven't seen one alley oop to him. But I wish he would show more hops.
.......would like to see him operate in space a bit more, maybe see what he has with the bounce a bit In some room to move and hit the jumper.....not sold on him ever being a down low banger in this conference......I have no issues with him taking a three now and then....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I hope Martin has a shot at A10 Freshman of the week
Duquesne: 31 min, 4-8 FG, 2-4 on 3FG, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 TO, 2 F, 10 points
Saint Louis: 37 min, 6-12 FG, 2-5 on 3FG, 2-2 FT, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 0 TO, 2 F, 16 points

Martin gives us good height in the starting line up combining with the 6'4" Dowtin plus Harris and Langevine.

in A10 Conference through 9 games and the half way point Martin now has put together some strong numbers;
16-34 on 3 FG for 47.1%
14-16 FT for 87.5%
32.3 minutes per game
6.3 rebounds per game
13.3 points per game

Martin is steadily establishing a case for the A10 All Freshman Team against some very good competition this year in the conference

So pleased that Cox made the move to put Martin in the Starting Line up and giving him 32+ minutes per game
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago I also think when we can get Harris where HE gets the ball at the FT line, with his face to the hoop game, should really open things up.

Tyrese's emergence is the reason we're winning the games we're winning. Get JH and Tate going, and that's where we could be pretty good soon.

We need more scoring options since we are so bad at shooting 3's.
Rambone,
I agree that Martin is a key factor in our teams wins but I don't view it exactly as an emergence. I think Martin should have been put in the starting line up much earlier for Thompson and should have gotten more minutes earlier too. Saying Martin has emerged or improved makes it sound like it just kind of happened and Cox was instrumental but I think the Coaching staff held a very high performing player back for too long

Just my opinion. I know I was much more vocal about Thompson's performance early on but now happy where we are headed.

Thompson not so good today either with 1-4 FG and only 2-5 FT. Team would have been 15-17 wo Thompson for 88% and I know how you value that FT shooting. Thompson's role is a shooting guard and he just not shoot well on 3's or FTs.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rese is something special. Love watching him play. Put on a dunk fest!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Excellent defense played today on Javon Bess and Tramaine Isabell Jr. limiting them to a combined 7 points!!!!
In 33 minutes Bess went 0-6 FG, 0-3 on 3FGs and 2-3 FT. He had 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 TO and fouled out of the game. Bess only had 2 points which was his low for the season. He had 31 in his last game vs Richmond
Isabell also had a tough game due to our defense. In 34 minutes Isabell went 2-6 FG, 1-2 FT, 2 assists and 4 TO for only 5 points.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Good defense for the most part, although there were times St Louis got in the lane pretty easily and missed an easy shot. Still too much late shot clock action on offense, but a little better than earlier in the year. I actually don’t blame Fatts for a good bit of it. It seemed like at times he was waiting for a play call from the sideline in the second half and he did try and drive and create a few times rather than chucking up a wild three.

As to the couple of zone comments earlier in the thread, I was hoping to see some, since we know St Louis can’t shoot from the outside. I was wondering where it was in the first half, as it was obvious St Louis’ intent was to take everything to the rim or post up French. I wasn’t thinking exclusively zone: just mix it in. I was happy when they used it in the second half, I think after the under 8 time out. I know Wiley hit that three, but I would have liked to see them go back to it a bit later, especially after Cyril picked up his fourth foul. St Louis scored quickly a few times, as Cyril couldn’t offer much resistance and the help came late. That huge three by Martin to push the lead from four to seven definitely helped.

I wanted to make sure my opinion on St Louis long range shoooting wasn’t based just on the previous game against URI, plus part of their games against Davidson last week and Seton Hall earlier this year that I watched. Their three point percentage backs up what I thought. In statistics through Friday, they are 319 out of 351, at 30.6%. Rhody is 345, at 27.3%. Actually, the A10 as a whole isn’t very good right now. No team is in the top 150. Davidson is best at 163, 34.5%. I realize that the percentages in certain clusters of teams are pretty close and you can make a decent move up with a couple of good performances, but we’re 2/3 of the way through the regular season, so we’ve pretty much reached the “you are who you are” stage with all season long statistics.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Death, taxes and Travis Ford.

Tyrese has NBA potential.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Death, taxes and Travis Ford.

Pity the Billikens ha ha. That's one problem we don't have.

Shhh on Martin...we want him here for 4 years.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow BAR, That’s High Praise!

https://media.giphy.com/media/ztjhxdcC1yxjy/giphy
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It's still early on Tyrese, but can't help but be impressed. If he continues on this pace it will be the best season for a FR not named Lamar Odom in the last 25+ years IMO. In A10 play his efficiency and production are ridiculous- 55% from the field, 47% from 3, 88% from the line, 13ppg 6 rpg. 50/40/90 slash line is elite level.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago

Pity the Billikens ha ha. That's one problem we don't have.

Shhh on Martin...we want him here for 4 years.
It’s ok Rambone. This is what he said about his signing. But I agree completely he has huge potential and a high ceiling. Thought that ever since the match up with Ca Reddish, now with Duke.

“I can’t stay away,” he said. “I will always want to come back here and see Coach Snyder and Coach [Randy] Atiyeh and the rest of the guys. This is a special place for me and it’s where everything came together. Now, I’m looking forward to four years at Rhode Island.”

https://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/mc ... story.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago It's still early on Tyrese, but can't help but be impressed. If he continues on this pace it will be the best season for a FR not named Lamar Odom in the last 25+ years IMO. In A10 play his efficiency and production are ridiculous- 55% from the field, 47% from 3, 88% from the line, 13ppg 6 rpg. 50/40/90 slash line is elite level.
Agree completely BAR

And love the rebounding boost that he provides along with his shooting prowess. Plus he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. He has a good temperament on the floor, displays a quiet leadership style and hopefully can help lead us to a good A10 Tournament performance. Still a lot of season to go.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I find it woefully disappointing that the threads following a loss have twice as many posts within 24 hours. Criticizing Cox, freaking out about the team, etc.

Pull off a major win and basically nothing from the peanut gallery.

Ironic.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago I find it woefully disappointing that the threads following a loss have twice as many posts within 24 hours. Criticizing Cox, freaking out about the team, etc.

Ironic.
......yeah that’s what we do here......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago I find it woefully disappointing that the threads following a loss have twice as many posts within 24 hours. Criticizing Cox, freaking out about the team, etc.

Ironic.
If it’s any consolation it’s always been that way here and I think it is par for the course with message boards. People like to hear themselves bitch.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ironic.

Takes some time to finish that bowl of crow.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We are a player or 2 away from being very good.

We might have those already in Tate and Harris.

Would like to see those 2 breakout before the season is over. If so, we've got a lot to look forward to next season.

Also next season's newcomers will give us so much more depth, even if raw.

Hell, I post win or lose.....but of course the tone is different depending on which one it is lol.....
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Ironic.

But it’s a rebuilding year, right? Come on. You can’t have it both ways. URI wins and you say people should eat crow. URI loses and nobody should say anything negative because it’s a Rebuilding year.

Next 9 games will be very exciting. Yesterday’s victory was tremendous, especially following the Duquesne and UMASS games.

Martin had an A10 Rookie of the Week pair of games although Toppin will likely get that award.
Langevine had an A10 Player of the Week pair of games and I hope he gets it as would be well deserved (queue the Langevine FT criticism chorus :o :o )

But agree losses probably bring out 3-4 times the number of comments :(
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago We are a player or 2 away from being very good.

We might have those already in Tate and Harris.

Would like to see those 2 breakout before the season is over. If so, we've got a lot to look forward to next season.

Also next season's newcomers will give us so much more depth, even if raw.

Hell, I post win or lose.....but of course the tone is different depending on which one it is lol.....
Rambone,
I might counter to say Langevine, Harris and Martin are developing into the strength of this team. Kind of ironic as the past several years we have been guard oriented in strength sometimes going with 4 guards.

I’d venture to say the ability of Dowtin and Russell plus Thompson and Possibly Silverio off the bench will be critically important to winning the A10. We need reduced turnovers as we say yesterday and improved 3PG and FT shooting from the guards.

The A10 Championship is there for the taking. We can win this.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Ironic.

But it’s a rebuilding year, right? Come on. You can’t have it both ways. URI wins and you say people should eat crow. URI loses and nobody should say anything negative because it’s a Rebuilding year.

Next 9 games will be very exciting. Yesterday’s victory was tremendous, especially following the Duquesne and UMASS games.

Martin had an A10 Rookie of the Week pair of games although Toppin will likely get that award.
Langevine had an A10 Player of the Week pair of games and I hope he gets it as would be well deserved (queue the Langevine FT criticism chorus :o :o )

But agree losses probably bring out 3-4 times the number of comments :(
Crow in the sense that they’ve written off the team and their capability to win games. It’s a rebuild in the sense that the entire NUCLEUS of what lead us to the promised land is gone! That’s my opinion.

If your negative about the team one game, and the next adjustments are made, kudos should be given. If Dan believed this team would make a tourney run this year, he would’ve stayed. His stock was as high as it was going to get, therefore, he bolted.

Don’t get me wrong, I want heads to roll when we lose, but then the reality of the situation strikes me back down to earth.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

So hearing martin had a sick dunk, an another aalley oop? anyone have any video clips where i can catch those plays?