1/27 | UMass Minutemen | 2 PM (Stadium Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/27 | UMass Minutemen | 2 PM (Stadium Network)

Unread post by RF1 »

The only question remaining at this time - WILL UMASS SWEEP US?
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

done
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago If your name isn’t Tyrese Martin or Omar Silverio, why are the coaches allowing you to shoot 3s?
Bump.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

with 2:15 remaining,

UMASS 69, URI 60
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Pierre unconscious

Pretty simple formula for beating URI, that and defensively shutting down our key players.

Where’s Tate? Guess Cox has zero confidence in Preston.
Last edited by hrstrat57 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Make that 17.

Here's hoping Gianninni gets another job-he is awful as an analyst.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

WHY ISNT OMAR IN THE GAME AS A SHOOTING OPTION
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......let the melt down begin......warranted too......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I hate UMass like Anakin hated those sand people that took his mother
theblueram
Frank Keaney

worst game plan. slow half court offense.
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Baptiste is what we were hoping Tertsea could be
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Langevine should’ve gone right back outside to an open Martin.

This is atrocious.

David Cox puts another one in the L column.

No coaching or reigning in of Cyril and his 7 turnovers and 2 blocked shots.

No coaching or reigning in of Fatts and his god knows how many missed shots and turnovers.

Harris buried on the bench again.

Omar comes in to hit a 3. Is taken out.

Hell of a job coach. Hell of a job.

Give to Rhody's NIL
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

So tired of CT dude continues to jack threes early in shot clock at terrible points in the game. And shows now energy or aggressiveness on defense. Dont understand how omar couldnt provide just as much value to the team. He constantly gets blown by and puts Cyril and Jermaine in bad spots. And coming into the game you know the one guy you cant leave wide open from there and let get hot is pierre. And we gave up several wide open threes.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Waste great games by Thompson and Martin to lose to this awful team.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago Baptiste is what we were hoping Tertsea could be
......but we will neva know.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Team just isn’t very good. We think they are more talented than they are. Expect more of the same next year. I like Cox as a person, but not sure about him as a coach. He just doesn’t manage the players well, especially Harris.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m already over it. Expected it, shit happens, on to Duquesne.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago
Urifan91 wrote: 5 years ago Baptiste is what we were hoping Tertsea could be
......but we will neva know.....
but hey, he got a free education
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

For URI the stat line looks pretty good. Biggest problem is turnovers. For URI it’s where we lost the game.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago Team just isn’t very good. We think they are more talented than they are. Expect more of the same next year. I like Cox as a person, but not sure about him as a coach. He just doesn’t manage the players well, especially Harris.
So 18 games in of his first season as a HC is enough to make these conclusions?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago I hate UMass like Anakin hated those sand people that took his mother
I usually don’t even hate UMass. I find them like the Jets. I don’t like them, but I find them more pathetic than worthy of hatred. But this garbage today definitely makes me upset - more with us, though. UMass is the type of team that you should be able to beat even if you play poorly. They are not good at all. Laughable roster, poorly coached, only 280 people show up to the games in a gross building. This was 100% about effort. I am normally not the one losing it after losses. They’re going to happen this year, and I get that. But this is something that definitely shouldn’t have happened and I feel personally offended that I had to watch this.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Final score:

UMASS 77, URI 70

In this game, Rhode Island had 17 turnovers, which resulted in 17 points for UMass
Last edited by Native 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just a bad game plan. 100%. The slow down offense killed us.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Only thing worse than watching this game at home on my tv would have been making the two hour trek out to Amherst to see live. So glad I did not do that after having given it some consideration.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago Team just isn’t very good. We think they are more talented than they are. Expect more of the same next year. I like Cox as a person, but not sure about him as a coach. He just doesn’t manage the players well, especially Harris.
I love Cox as a person.

I think you’re short changing him though.

It’s not that he doesn’t manage Harris well. He also doesn’t manage Fatts, Thompson, or Silverio well either.

This isn’t a “Cox will be terrible as a coach” type thing, because I still have faith he will learn and grow from these types of games.

This is the 4th “effort” type loss that we’ve had this year.

I certainly hope Cox will learn and get better, because he’s given himself plenty of lessons so far.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Feared that exact scenario. Desperate team, they defended like their life was on the line for first 30 minutes...they are not the worst team in the league and were overdue to find their stroke. Pierre hit 3 daggers in 2nd half with guys right in his face. It happens. Wednesday is a bigger one to win and jumble the standings back up.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

BRUTAL
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

YUCK!!
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago So tired of CT dude continues to jack threes early in shot clock at terrible points in the game. And shows now energy or aggressiveness on defense. Dont understand how omar couldnt provide just as much value to the team. He constantly gets blown by and puts Cyril and Jermaine in bad spots. And coming into the game you know the one guy you cant leave wide open from there and let get hot is pierre. And we gave up several wide open threes.
I agree. Omar deserves some of CT minutes. It seems like coach doesn’t want Omar and Fatts on the floor together. CT is fine in limited action. Too many minutes means more chances of bad shots and bad defense. So let Omar have more of that PT.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Harris isn't playing much because he's always in foul trouble and totally lost on offense.. I question basketball iq on this team.. Thompson fouls a 3 point attempt at end of shot clock. Cyril consistently dribbles into traffic. Has no idea how to kick ball back out.. fatts same mistakes game after game forcing stuff that isn't there.. this is not a great team.. no depth at guard position.. Tate and Harris mostly invisible.. basically no help from bench.. thus there will be more games like this especially on the road. Imagine if pipkins played better
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

CL had an amazing SEVEN TURNOVERS. Just imagine how much better a player he could be if he took better care of the ball.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Waste great games by Thompson and Martin to lose to this awful team.
Thompson had a great game?
Go Rhody
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago So tired of CT dude continues to jack threes early in shot clock at terrible points in the game. And shows now energy or aggressiveness on defense. Dont understand how omar couldnt provide just as much value to the team. He constantly gets blown by and puts Cyril and Jermaine in bad spots. And coming into the game you know the one guy you cant leave wide open from there and let get hot is pierre. And we gave up several wide open threes.
12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals. Christian was not the problem today... Turnovers were the problem!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 5 years ago no depth at guard position..
That sums it up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Jermaine is like a 4/5 tweener and he will eventually fall into place,but right now he doesnt have a game. Not an athletic freak, not strong enough to bang down low, and not skilled enough to step out and stretch the floor. We are going to have to be patient.

But we must must must find a way to bring down Cyril's usage in back to the basket situations. 7 Turnovers today. 62 on the season. 60 freakin 2. He has a 1 to 9 assist to turnover ratio. The kid is being asked to do too much, he is not a focal point of the offense type of player. When he dribbles I cringe, and when it once in a while works out for us I know it's mostly good fortune.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Pipkins goes 2-14 from the field, and we lose.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Waste great games by Thompson and Martin to lose to this awful team.
Thompson had a great game?
By his typical standard, YES. 4-7 FG, 3-3 FT, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals, and 12 points.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......bumbling, stumbling, fumbling our way to the middle of the pack......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass wanted this game more and it showed. Many of URI's offensive stats were actually good. They were done in today by too many turnovers (17 vs 10) and a subpar defensive effort.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I don't understand why Cyril handles ball at top of key so much.. he has zero court awareness.. can't pass can't dribble.. love his effort and board work but he is most effective when someone feeds him the ball on the move to hoop and ball never hits the ground..
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago Langevine should’ve gone right back outside to an open Martin.

This is atrocious.

David Cox puts another one in the L column.

No coaching or reigning in of Cyril and his 7 turnovers and 2 blocked shots.

No coaching or reigning in of Fatts and his god knows how many missed shots and turnovers.

Harris buried on the bench again.

Omar comes in to hit a 3. Is taken out.

Hell of a job coach. Hell of a job.
This one is in Jeff as much as Cox. Jeff is playing with his head down looking to score and it doesn’t work as a winning strategy... as evidenced by the entire season to date. He should not be looking to score. He is not a consistent scorer. Period. He needs to be looking to pass. Cox can certainly make that change.

Martin scored every time he was fed the ball in rhythm. Why we aren’t running offense for him at this point is definitely on Cox.

But Jeff continues to force the ball at the rim. It doesn’t work. Cyril is also not a scorer. Blocked on a bunny layup trying to claw back into it under 2 mins and that officially closed the door. He has virtually zero offensive awareness. We need to look elsewhere.

Fatts needs his minutes cut under 15 until he earns them back. He’s played like shit all year and clearly nothing else will get through. Cox can stand tall here.

Harris was in foul trouble all game, that’s not on Cox.

Silviero hit a 3, sure, but as we were getting close after that 3 he took an absolutely terrible shot 2 possessions later that led to a runout bucket. Back to the bench is where he should have gone. Agree with Cox there.

Jeff needs to be a leader. He’s the only one on the floor that can run an offense, and he needs to stop trying to BE the offense.

This one is embarrassing. Coaching staff definitely takes a big share of the blame here but Jeff needs to make his teammates better, not worse. Point blank.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago .......bumbling, stumbling, fumbling our way to the middle of the pack......
That is what they are - middle of the pack. This team's ceiling is probably no better than 7th in the league.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I’m already over it. Expected it, shit happens, on to Duquesne.
Agreed - had a feeling we would lose this game. UMass can get hot from 3 and beat a lot of teams. Need Dowtin to get back to his average shooting from 3. Add that to what we are getting from Tyrese and we will be very good. Stop it with the sky is falling crap people. We are still young.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Jermaine is like a 4/5 tweener and he will eventually fall into place,but right now he doesnt have a game. Not an athletic freak, not strong enough to bang down low, and not skilled enough to step out and stretch the floor. We are going to have to be patient.

But we must must must find a way to bring down Cyril's usage in back to the basket situations. 7 Turnovers today. 62 on the season. 60 freakin 2. He has a 1 to 9 assist to turnover ratio. The kid is being asked to do too much, he is not a focal point of the offense type of player. When he dribbles I cringe, and when it once in a while works out for us I know it's mostly good fortune.
It's time to start running the offense through Tyrese with Dowtin handing the ball!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......in the A-10 type of play......a more true center is needed, even if project space eater, unless the “positionless” type of game is deep bench, full court pressure in a sped up kinda game......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......radio show should be good......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago Jermaine is like a 4/5 tweener and he will eventually fall into place,but right now he doesnt have a game. Not an athletic freak, not strong enough to bang down low, and not skilled enough to step out and stretch the floor. We are going to have to be patient.

It's time to start running the offense through Tyrese with Dowtin handing the ball!
This is the TL;DR version of my comment above.

Martin and Harris need to have more offense run thru them.

Jeff needs to handle the ball and trust his team. Be a leader. No more excuses.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

For one of the few times I must disagree with BAR. Cyril is not being asked to do too much. It is clearly up to the coaches to have him stop dribbling to the basket fro 10-12 feet out. 7 turnovers by a point guard is beyond awful. How would you describe 7 by a forward. For the 4th time in this thread it is clearly on the coaches to clean this up.
Tired of seeing it and posting about it!!!!!!!!
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago I’m already over it. Expected it, shit happens, on to Duquesne.
Agreed - had a feeling we would lose this game. UMass can get hot from 3 and beat a lot of teams. Need Dowtin to get back to his average shooting from 3. Add that to what we are getting from Tyrese and we will be very good. Stop it with the sky is falling crap people. We are still young.
Exactly, someone posted earlier about being crappy next year. Way to keep the faith!

They are young, and with young teams there can be issues with effort. I’m not excusing it but this team does have really good potential. Today’s showing was garbage, but they are honestly a .500 team. What were some of you expecting this year
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As has been the norm in recent years, today's crowd for URI was one of the largest of the season for UMass. 4,145 on hand to see their team win its first league game after six defeats. Just the 2nd Mullins game all year that had attendance above 3,000.