Stan Wright HOF

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Stan Wright HOF

Unread post by Rammgr »

Stan Wright has been selected for the URI Hall of Fame. An honor long overdue. Congratulations Stan!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Stan Wright HOF

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's awesome!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Congratulations Stan! A most deserving honor to one of my all time favorite rams.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Those Wright Brothers sure could fly.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Stan and Jimmy's career numbers were really close. Will Jimmy get in too? Who else from that team? Sly didn't graduate so he's not eligible. I assume Jiggy is already in?
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Stan and Jimmy's career numbers were really close. Will Jimmy get in too? Who else from that team? Sly didn't graduate so he's not eligible. I assume Jiggy is already in?
Jiggy (2nd in scoring behind Sly that season) does not appear to be in it. The coach and Phil Kydd may be the only members of the 1978 NCAA team in the HOF. Head Coach John J. "Jack" Kraft (H'78) was inducted in 1995. Phil Kydd ('81) got in back in 2009.

List of URI Athletics HOF Members
http://www.gorhody.com/information/hall_of_fame/index

1977-78 URI Player Roster
Sly Williams
Jim Williamson
Stan Wright
Irv Chatman
John Nelson
Percy Davis
Phil Kydd
Jimmy Wright
Randy Wilde
Nick Johnson
Derek Groomes

1977-78 URI Stats
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1978.html
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Given his legacy and iconic status in Rhody hoops history an exception should be made for Sly to get in the HOF. Didn't Marquette do something similar for D.Wade, whereas they had the same policy but made an exception to retire Wade's number? Or maybe they didn't do it and that's why i remember.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

About time.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Stan was a great all around player, as steady as they come. He deserves to be in the HOF. The two stars of that team were Sly and Jiggy. I'm shocked that Jiggy isn't in.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

When looking things up, was surprised that former player and coach Claude English-72 was not in the HOF. English was an assistant on the 1977-78 team and took over for Kraft a few years later. Would have thought English would have gotten in as a player given his career (at URI and making the NBA).
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Three members of the 1988 NCAA team are now in the HOF - Calton Silk Owens, Kenny Green, and Tommy Garrick. The 1998 NCAA team has Cutino Mobley, Tyson Wheeler, and Antonio Reynolds-Dean. Wonder what hoops players after 1998 will get in. Would think that past graduated players such as Preston Murphy, Dawan Robinson, Will Daniels, Jimmy Baron, Hassan Martin, EC Mathews, and Jared Terrell might be future possibilities.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Kraft as head coach and Claude and Billy Hahn recruiting was a great staff. Too bad it was short lived.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 years ago It's a sad indictment on the URI Hall of Fame when Phil Kydd is in and Claude English and Stanley Wright are not. No reason to go into detail. To quote the great Grand Wizard of Wrestling, " If you don't understand what I'm saying, no explanation can be given and if you do, none is needed."
While we may sometimes differ, I fully agree with Cameron_Dollar on this matter.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 years ago It's a sad indictment on the URI Hall of Fame when Phil Kydd is in and Claude English and Stanley Wright are not. No reason to go into detail. To quote the great Grand Wizard of Wrestling, " If you don't understand what I'm saying, no explanation can be given and if you do, none is needed."
While we may sometimes differ, I fully agree with Cameron_Dollar on this matter.
I know Phil did stuff at the University after he graduated, but as a basketball player, he isn't close to those two. I assume you guys are my age or older if you saw them play. That being said, why the hell isn't Jiggy in? He's clearly better than all 3 of those guys. Did he not graduate? Is that why he isn't in?
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Jiggy should have been an automatic.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Xavier Munford (anybody who plays NBA,should be a lock)

In FB:
Guy Carbone
Mike Cassidy
Bernie Moran
etc.
the 84 and 85 teams were # 2 and 7 (out of 130),maybe higher
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago I know Phil did stuff at the University after he graduated, but as a basketball player, he isn't close to those two. I assume you guys are my age or older if you saw them play. That being said, why the hell isn't Jiggy in? He's clearly better than all 3 of those guys. Did he not graduate? Is that why he isn't in?

I have no issue with Kidd. His long association after graduation with the school and basketball program was very likely a strong factor and should be rewarded. His inclusion is not just for his playing time as it relates to URI.

I have a close relative that was inducted decades ago at a banquet ceremony I attended at Quidnessett. Probably could be in just based on URI playing career but added years of working in the coaching ranks at the school also were a contributing factor.

I again want to stress that someone is not considered unless someone outside the selection committee formally submits them for consideration. Each inductee is only evaluated against the other submitted candidates at that time.

I would like to see URI regularly adding new members. The last four induction classes were spaced out every two years which seems reasonable. There however have been longer gaps at different intervals with no new members since the HOF was first created back in 1959. In fact, a 2nd class was not added for another 13 years (1972). One thing I do like is that the GORHODY site has member bios and photos and these photos are also prominently displayed around the Ryan Center for all to see. I myself like to stop by my close relative's picture most times I visit given they are unfortunately no longer with us.
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I don't believe Jiggy graduated. That's the only reason to keep him out. Stan & Jiggy were the cornerstones that turned the program around. Jiggy, Stan, Randy Wilds, Vic Soares, Percy DAvis, & Willie Middlebrooks all came to URI in Sept 1974. And it is fitting for Stan to be inducted on a night we play UMASS. We had many battles vs UMASS when Stan was here. That really was a rivalry back then.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I am in the camp that the Hall of Fame should be for the great...not the very good. I do agree credit should be given to those, like Phil Kidd, that gave years of service to the university. The oldest inductee is from the class of 1912. I think it says something that in the 100 plus years of URI's existence in the sports landscape, that only 295 have made it. Less than 3/year with all the sports the university offers. I'm on board with all those hoop players currently in the HOF.

With that said, I would vote in Jimmy Baron, EC, Hass and JT. I can't see anyone else post 1980. Some very good, but not great players. Not sure about Jiggy. I was too young. I knew the names, Jiggy, Stan, and Jimmy, but couldn't really say if they are of the same stature of those that have been inducted.

I would also agree with BAR that some special allowance should be made for Sly.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago I am in the camp that the Hall of Fame should be for the great...not the very good. I do agree credit should be given to those, like Phil Kidd, that gave years of service to the university. The oldest inductee is from the class of 1912. I think it says something that in the 100 plus years of URI's existence in the sports landscape, that only 295 have made it. Less than 3/year with all the sports the university offers. I'm on board with all those hoop players currently in the HOF.

With that said, I would vote in Jimmy Baron, EC, Hass and JT. I can't see anyone else post 1980. Some very good, but not great players. Not sure about Jiggy. I was too young. I knew the names, Jiggy, Stan, and Jimmy, but couldn't really say if they are of the same stature of those that have been inducted.

I go back to the mid-60s as a fan. I was in school the same 4 years as Stan and Jiggy. If we're talking guards, I'd have to put Silk and Tyson at the top with Jiggy, Tommy Garrick and Jared Terrell slightly below them. Jiggy scored 1531 points and had 346 assists in his career here.I can't comment on Ernie Calverly as he was before my time. As much as I loved Stanley Wright, Jiggy was a better player. Jiggy was the best player on the best high school team in the country in '73-'74. He and Soup Campbell (PC star) were the stars at Wilbur Cross in Connecticut, the #1 team in the country their senior years. In addition to the numbers Jiggy put up, he was tough as hell and a leader. He mustn't have graduated. That's the only explanation. If they make an exception for Sly, they should make one for Jiggy too. Sly is probably the best player to ever wear Keaney Blue, but Jiggy is probably top 20-25.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago I am in the camp that the Hall of Fame should be for the great...not the very good. I do agree credit should be given to those, like Phil Kidd, that gave years of service to the university. The oldest inductee is from the class of 1912. I think it says something that in the 100 plus years of URI's existence in the sports landscape, that only 295 have made it. Less than 3/year with all the sports the university offers. I'm on board with all those hoop players currently in the HOF.

I go back to the mid-60s as a fan. I was in school the same 4 years as Stan and Jiggy. If we're talking guards, I'd have to put Silk and Tyson at the top with Jiggy, Tommy Garrick and Jared Terrell slightly below them. Jiggy scored 1531 points and had 346 assists in his career here.I can't comment on Ernie Calverly as he was before my time. As much as I loved Stanley Wright, Jiggy was a better player. Jiggy was the best player on the best high school team in the country in '73-'74. He and Soup Campbell (PC star) were the stars at Wilbur Cross in Connecticut, the #1 team in the country their senior years. In addition to the numbers Jiggy put up, he was tough as hell and a leader. He mustn't have graduated. That's the only explanation. If they make an exception for Sly, they should make one for Jiggy too. Sly is probably the best player to ever wear Keaney Blue, but Jiggy is probably top 20-25.
Here is a good article describing that great Wilbur Cross Team.
Giddy times for New England and RI Basketball back then as Soup Campbell signed with PC and Jiggy Williamson signed with Jack Kraft and URI.
http://www.ct-hs-hoops.com/wilburcross1974.htm
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Great article Ramster. Those were great times. The state of Connecticut was loaded with talent and URI and PC were beating out UConn for a lot of Connecticut's home grown talent. Just in that short period of time, we got Sly, Jiggy and Mark Cyzinski and PC got Campbell and Billy Eason. There were probably some more that I can't remember. Plus, we got both the Wright brothers from NYC. All of that changed (at least for us) when Gavitt formed the Big East in 1979.