The Lets Be Realistic (and for some get off the damn ledge) Thread

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ram1019
ARD

Re: The Lets Be Realistic (and for some get off the damn ledge) Thread

Unread post by Ram1019 »

6 games into the season with a brand new team (freshmen and veterans with new roles) is definitely not a large enough sample size to judge Dave Cox’s head coaching ability and deem him to be Jim Baron 3.0. C’mon.

The reason I was happy with this hire is that he will have much less to ‘figure out’ as a new head coach. When you work along side and watch someone who has had the success like Dan, you can step into that job knowing what Dan has done that worked and what hasn’t. This goes for any job, really. You would be surprised if how much of an advantage it is to have someone who was already in the system to step up armed with that knowledge. And by the way, I also agree this team would look lost right now at this point in time even if Dan was still here.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we have to be worried about Cox bolting for a big time job in a few years like we did each year with his predecessor.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......well....yeah......Put me down to be somewhere between Baron 3.0 and worrying about David leaving for big time job......there is a lot of ground to be plowed there......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Agree Reeves looks really good and will be a thorn in our sides for years to come
Reeves will be in the NBA in a couple of years.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago Reeves has sure hit the ground running and the other freshmen contributing also. Probably an unfair comparison but hard not to notice
4*, 98 grade, 48th in the nation recruit looks good out the gates? what's next...the sky is blue, water is wet
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago Reeves has sure hit the ground running and the other freshmen contributing also. Probably an unfair comparison but hard not to notice
4*, 98 grade, 48th in the nation recruit looks good out the gates? what's next...the sky is blue, water is wet
ok, so what you are saying is our "top recruiting class in A10", "National ranked recruiting class" isn't so good after all????????????????????

oh and by the way Duke and the other kid are also starting.

And the freshmen are far from the biggest problem URI has right now.

Ok, everything is great. Perfect. The future couldn't be brighter. I get it.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Chris Herren looked good last night too. We could use a shooter like that.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ram1019 wrote: 5 years ago 6 games into the season with a brand new team (freshmen and veterans with new roles) is definitely not a large enough sample size to judge Dave Cox’s head coaching ability and deem him to be Jim Baron 3.0. C’mon.

The reason I was happy with this hire is that he will have much less to ‘figure out’ as a new head coach. When you work along side and watch someone who has had the success like Dan, you can step into that job knowing what Dan has done that worked and what hasn’t. This goes for any job, really. You would be surprised if how much of an advantage it is to have someone who was already in the system to step up armed with that knowledge. And by the way, I also agree this team would look lost right now at this point in time even if Dan was still here.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we have to be worried about Cox bolting for a big time job in a few years like we did each year with his predecessor.

Hah exactly! And how many times in Corporate America do people apply for jobs, and then hear from HR/recruiter, "they decided to go with an internal candidate".
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Ram1019 wrote: 5 years ago 6 games into the season with a brand new team (freshmen and veterans with new roles) is definitely not a large enough sample size to judge Dave Cox’s head coaching ability and deem him to be Jim Baron 3.0. C’mon.

I think we are 4-2 with Dan here. We are 3-3. As others have said before we actually are getting some decent shots, maybe even better than last year, we just don’t have Jared Terrrel (as a senior) and other experienced guys taking those shots. They will fall and we will look better and I still expect a top 5 A10 finish.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My concern was not the return to the Jim Baron era but the return to the Jerry DiGregoria era. Harrick left after 2 NCAA seasons and URI (Beagle not Petro) promotes Assistant Coach JD to make Lamar happy. The next time we get to the NCAAs and Hurley leaves, Bjorn promotes another Assistant Coach to the delight of the players. When they hired JD, they also hired Jeff Jones, the former UVa Head Coach to mentor JD, This time they hire John Carroll, the former Duquesne Head Coach to mentor Cox. Again, they try to milk former success at less expense and higher prices and PR until the truth becomes obvious to all.

Give me a break! URI never learns and is always looking to do things on the cheap. The URI Administration and their rump swabs will deny this and the defend their decision until they have bled the last dime out of the program's supporters, and then they will all simultaneously bash the departing Cox. This is the URI way - and not just in Athletics.
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago My concern was not the return to the Jim Baron era but the return to the Jerry DiGregoria era. Harrick left after 2 NCAA seasons and URI (Beagle not Petro) promotes Assistant Coach JD to make Lamar happy. The next time we get to the NCAAs and Hurley leaves, Bjorn promotes another Assistant Coach to the delight of the players. When they hired JD, they also hired Jeff Jones, the former UVa Head Coach to mentor JD, This time they hire John Carroll, the former Duquesne Head Coach to mentor Cox. Again, they try to milk former success at less expense and higher prices and PR until the truth becomes obvious to all.

Give me a break! URI never learns and is always looking to do things on the cheap. The URI Administration and their rump swabs will deny this and the defend their decision until they have bled the last dime out of the program's supporters, and then they will all simultaneously bash the departing Cox. This is the URI way - and not just in Athletics.
Show me on this doll where URI hurt you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago My concern was not the return to the Jim Baron era but the return to the Jerry DiGregoria era. Harrick left after 2 NCAA seasons and URI (Beagle not Petro) promotes Assistant Coach JD to make Lamar happy. The next time we get to the NCAAs and Hurley leaves, Bjorn promotes another Assistant Coach to the delight of the players. When they hired JD, they also hired Jeff Jones, the former UVa Head Coach to mentor JD, This time they hire John Carroll, the former Duquesne Head Coach to mentor Cox. Again, they try to milk former success at less expense and higher prices and PR until the truth becomes obvious to all.

You do realize Cox hired his assistants, not Thor.

There are so many other erroneous statements in your post, I won’t even bother addressing....

Why am I even here...I said I was done. *slaps forehead* glutton for punishment I guess....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Hilarious...I thought you just made that up.

Urban Dictionary: rumpswab
a person who is so intense and sloppy while ass kissing that he or she might as well be a bidet.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I've seen it and heard it all before. Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Where were the present excuses before the season began. Look at the predictions for wins-losses. How can you pretend that the season is not looking to be a disappointment? How many predictions had more losses than wins? When we don't express our disappointment we perpetuate the problem. If you want a great basketball program you have to demand success or else.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

72, you are spot on with that last post.....but the Jerry D comparison is WAY out there in the ether...….
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago 72, you are spot on with that last post.....but the Jerry D comparison is WAY out there in the ether...….
Rambone, you really believe that crap he posted?
My guess is 72 didn’t go to URI. He just accused the entire University of purposely not spending money and bilking donors.
Have you been on the Kingston campus in the last five year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Time will be the ultimate test of course but comparing Cox to Jerry D as a basketball man is way outta line....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Anybody who would dare to make that comparison should be banned from this Board
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

When I buy a Powerball ticket, I always expect to win. I dream about disappearing to some remote, tropical island somewhere. Then I lose the drawing, every time. Is that the lottery's fault for letting me down or am I a complete idiot for having outrageously high expectations? Just because some optimistic souls here thought they hit the lottery with this team doesn't mean that the team or Cox are the disappointments. It's completely fair to say that some changes need to be made, but going overboard and calling him a failure and comparing him to Jerry D is just foolish.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote: 5 years ago I've seen it and heard it all before. Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Where were the present excuses before the season began. Look at the predictions for wins-losses. How can you pretend that the season is not looking to be a disappointment? How many predictions had more losses than wins? When we don't express our disappointment we perpetuate the problem. If you want a great basketball program you have to demand success or else.
Demand success or else...so, what, fire the coach after 6 games?

Look, I get we have a very short attention span as a society, but we have to be able to take a longer view on something than a couple of weeks.

Also, not to put too fine of a point on it, but it is flat out stupid to insinuate that promoting an assistant coach to head coach is a cheap move and therefore the wrong move. It literally happens all the time and not by cheap programs. This week, Ohio State promoted an assistant coach to replace a coach who has won 3 national championships. Ohio State’s athletic operating budget is more than the State of Rhode Island’s operating budget - they could have hired anyone they wanted and money wasn’t a factor.

Saying that hiring an assistant is history repeating itself because Jerry D was not a good hire is lazy and insulting, not just to David Cox but also to the intelligence of people here.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

And here I thought this thread was about getting off the ledge...
"DON'T JUMP! DON'T DO IT! Just look at the image and take deep breaths...
:lol:
usa_today_10649042.0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago

Show me on this doll where URI hurt you.
Screenshot_20181205-133858_Chrome.jpg

This has to be one of the funniest posts in KB history...
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
I saw Dadika drain two 3's in this video and I got kind of fired up.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Cox SHOULD start him......!!! :roll:
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago Here's the results from 2013-14 (EC and Hass freshman year) for reference:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html

"highlights" include:

-losing to Detroit Mercy
-squeaking by Metropolitan by 3
-scoring 49 against PC
-sqeaking by McNeese St by 5
-losing to Fordham

ended up 14-18. 9-6 in the OOC and 5-12 in conference play. Expect similar to this
Not all a fair comparison. Talent level is much higher now. This is a program, not supposed to fall apart when you graduate a bunch. A solid program moves forward.
Does this team look as if it really is improving the way it should?

and then the obvious question is why????
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’m interested to see what Coach Cox does to try to get us out of our shooting slump. One idea I have been playing with is starting Jeff at the one with Fatts coming off the bench and a combination of Thompson, Martin, and Silverio playing the 2-3. I also kind of like the idea of having Thompson come off the bench to give our defense a spark. This doesn’t mean that Fatts and Thompson wouldn’t get their minutes, It just means they’ll be playing slightly different roles. One thing is for sure, you can’t continue to do the same thing and expect different results.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramrod wrote: 5 years ago
I saw Dadika drain two 3's in this video and I got kind of fired up.
I just hope Jeff is the point guard on Saturday. Let all the other chips fall where they will, but he is our point guard.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No changes for Saturday in the lineup or positions.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I wonder if the rotation will change, ie Fatts starts then Cox moves in 6th and 7th men on the floor quicker then past games.
GO RAMS
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago No changes for Saturday in the lineup or positions.
Supposition or fact? If fact, how so?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RAM67 wrote: 5 years ago
Fact.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RAM67 wrote: 5 years ago
Cox was asked by the media at practice this week. His response was no changes, not yet.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

On a positive note, if we were just shooting average from three-point land we would have a proximately 18 additional baskets equating to 54 points over six games for an average of an additional nine points per game. That makes each of our losses a tossup. So at the end of the day we might be much closer to where we want to be then you think.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago On a positive note, if we were just shooting average from three-point land we would have a proximately 18 additional baskets equating to 54 points over six games for an average of an additional nine points per game. That makes each of our losses a tossup. So at the end of the day we might be much closer to where we want to be then you think.
The million dollar question is whether this is acclimation taking too long, misfortune or who we are. My gut says it is some combination of acclimation taking a little while and misfortune, but my head is reserving judgment.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago On a positive note, if we were just shooting average from three-point land we would have a proximately 18 additional baskets equating to 54 points over six games for an average of an additional nine points per game. That makes each of our losses a tossup. So at the end of the day we might be much closer to where we want to be then you think.
The million dollar question is whether this is acclimation taking too long, misfortune or who we are. My gut says it is some combination of acclimation taking a little while and misfortune, but my head is reserving judgment.
TP I certainly hope it's not who we are. Because the 19 class is not coming in to save anyone. I'm hoping acclimation. And somebody needs to put a boot up this teams ass.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
TP I certainly hope it's not who we are. Because the 19 class is not coming in to save anyone. I'm hoping acclimation. And somebody needs to put a boot up this teams ass.
A tough situation to be sure. It would be much easier to ride a slump after having seen the team be efficient and successful. Then you could say, 'we've already seen they can_____." Starting out'meh', like this, makes it tougher to keep casual fan interested.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

In the Bryant game they shot 49% from the field and 48% from three.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That was Bryant. They are terrible.

About the only time we've been able to play that uptempo offense that Cox said we would play.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Bryant may be terrible but we actually shot the ball so you can’t slough it all off on Bryant.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah the shooting slump has affected them all since then. Even the Brown game was 3-23 from 3. Defense and rebounding won that game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we will improve on the 3s slightly as we can only go up from last in country though it will never be a strength for this team

CT should be better he has decent form and I think Fatts and JD can shoot it better especially if they get open looks . Tyrese needs to improve
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Fatts is who he is.....a defensive pest who can slash to the hoop...and in the past he has shown he can distribute the ball.....he is not a shooter and never has been.....he has to play to his strengths and not try to be a big time scorer.....

Jeff will be OK, but opponents are hounding him because they know nobody else can hurt them at least for now.....he's a great passer but no one can make an open shot.....

CT is a role player imo and always has been....and you can't ask Cyril for any more than he's given the team so far...without him we are toast.

The freshmen have all proven they can shoot......and they will, some day.....
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Love how JT takes responsibility for the team's disappointing performance and says it's his job as the leader of the team to fix it. He shows real maturity and I hope he can inspire his teammates to work harder and play better.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Nothing changes the fact that this has been a disappointing start to this season for all concerned - Coach Cox, the acclaimed freshman class, the returning veterans especially Fatts and the emergence of something more than a role player for either Preston or Thompson. Maybe it will turn around, maybe it won't.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'd say they're starting to come to getting a little more with each game. Credit to Coach Cox. Looked decent against Holy Cross.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago

Again... for the Keyboard Warriors/Couch Coaches
Last edited by Taylor Swift 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago

Again... for the Keyboard Warriors/Coach Coaches

Taylor, you are by far my favorite poster here. I admire your level-headedness through it all.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago

Taylor, you are by far my favorite poster here. I admire your level-headedness through it all.
[/quote]

Back atcha, love the KB love! :D

Enjoy your posts as well.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 years ago Nothing changes the fact that this has been a disappointing start to this season for all concerned - Coach Cox, the acclaimed freshman class, the returning veterans especially Fatts and the emergence of something more than a role player for either Preston or Thompson. Maybe it will turn around, maybe it won't.
If you look at the prediction contest, the team is on par for what most thought they would be.
Common sense is not common.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We as fans tend to overreact based on each individual game and I am as guilty of it as anyone

Let's see how the season plays out as it's all ahead of us. The conference does look pretty wide open