The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by josephski »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago 1. I think we have a beautiful campus. 2. Tradition? No, it's not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, but a good history going back 80 or so years. That's a pretty good tradition. 3. Name recognition? Once again, not Duke, etc., but if you watch college basketball, obviously you know who we are. The only thing I agree with somewhat is the apathy of the fans unless we're winning, and that's the case at many schools.
Yea the bad campus is a weird comment. I think URI has a really nice campus especially for a state school. Unless he's referring to the location because Kingston sucks.

Some of the other comments were kind of odd as well like the one about Fordham, “Support. They put money into the program, and give them what they need.” When has Fordham ever been known for investing in their program?
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Bad campus ? What ?? The campus was voted most beautiful in the A 10 a few years back . And the campus is beautiful and
getting better with all the new buildings and renovations . Whoever came up with that stupid comment must never have
actually toured the campus ever. I have been to campuses all across the country including UCLA, Arizona, ASU, SDU Princeton and all
of the A10 schools and URI doesn't take a backseat to any of them . It is one of the prettier campuses with lost of mature trees
and lawn areas and a nice combination of old traditional buildings like Princeton along with more modern buildings that blend together
well . In one college informational catalogue it was called "The quintessential New England college campus. So the campus is a drawback ?
Eh, NO . Kind of takes away all credibility from the whole article as does the aforementioned Fordham comments which we know must have
been an attempt at sarcasm or something.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The campus is bad in the sense that there is no surrounding town built around it. The city schools have one by default. You have to drive 15 minutes from campus to get to anything interesting. Even the students don't want to live on campus.

It is beautiful though (if you ignore the sophomore slums anyways)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago https://watchstadium.com/news/atlantic- ... ssion=true

4. Rhode Island (76) – The program went from 2000 to 2016 without going to the NCAA tourney, but have gone two consecutive seasons under now-UConn Head Coach Dan Hurley. The Ryan Center and facilities are towards the top of the league.

Where they win: “One of the better arenas in the league, good recruiting corridor with New England prep schools and NYC, and easy admissions.” – A-10 head coach

The knock: “Bad campus, not much tradition and name recognition. Apathetic fan base unless they are winning.” – A-10 assistant coach
The “knock” comment was 100% by an assistant at a school we are recruiting against. What he said isn’t only factually wrong, it doesn’t even make any sense. I guess Goodman can say he’s just printing what a person actually said, but he should have done better than that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 5 years ago https://watchstadium.com/news/atlantic- ... ssion=true

4. Rhode Island (76) – The program went from 2000 to 2016 without going to the NCAA tourney, but have gone two consecutive seasons under now-UConn Head Coach Dan Hurley. The Ryan Center and facilities are towards the top of the league.

Where they win: “One of the better arenas in the league, good recruiting corridor with New England prep schools and NYC, and easy admissions.” – A-10 head coach

The knock: “Bad campus, not much tradition and name recognition. Apathetic fan base unless they are winning.” – A-10 assistant coach
The “knock” comment was 100% by an assistant at a school we are recruiting against. What he said isn’t only factually wrong, it doesn’t even make any sense. I guess Goodman can say he’s just printing what a person actually said, but he should have done better than that.
Unfortunately it's using quotes like that which generates more of the clicks for him and for Stadium. Some of the knocks on the bottom programs seem even more mean (but at least they're true).
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Show me a ravenous fan base for a losing team - yeah, the fans have come out more the past few years, so be it we had a long drought there where we were disappointed every freakin March.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago Show me a ravenous fan base for a losing team - yeah, the fans have come out more the past few years, so be it we had a long drought there where we were disappointed every freakin March.
Exactly! What happens when fans show up and root no matter what is you end up with CFL for 10 years. If a company sells a bad product, you stop buying it, period.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The NCAA seems to be reversing itself a bit with transfer rules regarding sitting out. KI was one of the last guys who didn’t have to sit out the full year, but then they got more strict about it. Recently, a bunch of guys have gotten immediate eligibility. It won’t affect this season, but it could be relevant if they are able to pick up a mid-year transfer this season for the 19-20 season.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ace wrote: 5 years ago

As soon as I clicked on this Christion knocked down a three and drew a charge!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Reminder - David Cox is now our head coach
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think as we enter the regular season this thread should fade away. It was born moments after we learned Coach Cox would get the job. Now, I don’t know what this thread is actually about.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 years ago I think as we enter the regular season this thread should fade away. It was born moments after we learned Coach Cox would get the job. Now, I don’t know what this thread is actually about.

If this thread should fade, so should the DH one...to OBLIVION!

We can at least use this to post accomplishments, differences. style, updates, etc...
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I guess my thought is that this thread would be a repository for things that relate to Cox’s tenure in the macro. During the season, most posts will belong in game threads or any of the single-issue threads that pop up.

As far as whether the Hurley/UConn thread should fade with this one, that thread is meant to contain all discussion related to the former coach and his new program. If we took the same approach with Cox/URI, the board would literally be two threads - the Cox thread and the Hurley thread. Almost everything that will be posted here in the coming 6 or 7 months will be Cox-adjacent, meaning if we treated Cox like Hurley then everything would have to be crammed into one all-encompassing thread. That frankly doesn’t make any sense and is a non-starter.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I know, I just hate the DH thread (I created) lol
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Game ball to the coach.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow freaking awesome congrats coach
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

So far, Coach Cox has the highest winning percentage of any coach in URI history. 😛
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago So far, Coach Cox has the highest winning percentage of any coach in URI history. 😛
He’s undefeated as an NCAA head coach, and his teams have outscored their opponents by an average of 20 points! He could retire now as a legend :)

In only 4 games, but still...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My only negative comment from last night would be that a few possessions were undisciplined and with multiple 3 point attempts without moving the ball inside, then they changed the tune and the inside outside movement worked wonders.
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I love what Chase is doing with the team. This is one area Coach Cox is focused on. He requested the money to have the Strength & Conditioning position dedicated to the MBB team. Marshall was a shared resource. They are also looking to have a dedicated workout area with new equipment for MBB for next summer. Current facility is shared.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes agreed this is very important especially with the break in games
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Press release regarding the 2019-2020 recruiting class:

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 1121hlhzf6
Common sense is not common.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hope this wasn’t already posted somewhere. Good stuff, but the kid on the treadmill at the 30ish second mark really steals the show! :D

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

That little kid was the best...Thanks Ace
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wish players/recruits were measured like the athletes at the Combines. I obsess over their height:)
Per the Rhodymbb IG post today Hammond is 6’6”, Long is 6’7” and Mading is 6’11”.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Which means they are probably 6'5. 6'6 and 6'10
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It seems to me as if Coach Cox has tried to keep things the way they were, trying to transition from Hurley without upsetting Fatts and maybe others. It sure looks that way out on the court. I think he is going to have to put his own stamp on this team, for better or worse. If we lose more in the process, then so be it. Dowtin MUST be on the point, and if Fatts doesn't like it, too bad. Cox needs to take over and lead the program, for better or worse, starting now. His comments seem to indicate he is thinking the same thing.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

https://theathletic.com/677168/2018/11/ ... et-better/

Interesting look at rookie coaches, of which there are 33 this season. The first paragraph doesn’t distinguish between new coaches who took over for fired coaches versus those that moved on, but there’s some interesting stuff in the historical data.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope we don't need to change the title of this thread to The David Cox Error.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Stop with the Anit-Cox crap after 6 games as head coach in HIS CAREER.
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

OK..It's all the players fault. Somebody is to blame...should we blame 18 year olds or a guy who has been coaching for 20+ years? Maybe nobody is to blame and they all just need time to grow into their roles...I assume that is your position, and it's valid and is the one we all hope is true. That's why I said I hope we don't need to change the title. But this has not been good, with very few signs that he has a handle on the situation.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think Cox needs to do a better job but were acting like hes done here.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox is definitely off to a slow start here for sure.

We need to give him time but ultimately you will have to win or the natives will grow restless
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Let's just relax a bit. Not many teams lose 5 seniors playing significant roles without missing at least a beat the following season. Of course I'd like us to play better, and more importantly shoot better, but for this season, I'm hoping to see solid progress between now and March and I expect next year for JD's and CL's senior years to be back to NCAA.

Also, remember, who the other finalists for this coaching vacancy were. Do you really think any of them would have been better right now? Short term? Long term?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago Let's just relax a bit. Not many teams lose 5 seniors playing significant roles without missing at least a beat the following season. Of course I'd like us to play better, and more importantly shoot better, but for this season, I'm hoping to see solid progress between now and March and I expect next year for JD's and CL's senior years to be back to NCAA.

Also, remember, who the other finalists for this coaching vacancy were. Do you really think any of them would have been better right now? Short term? Long term?
Agree with your second point. Nate Oats wasn't walking through that door.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It wasn't a very impressive list of candidates, but I think it was well known that URI was going to hire Cox....so some that may have applied didn't.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......maybe I missed it, who was on that list?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree that we all need to exercise patience, and take into account that every player and our HC are undergoing a learning curve to a new role/job.
What is key now is twofold - seeing adjustments in strategy and personnel from DC, and seeing improvement and development from our roster. I think everyone will be ok taking some expected lumps on this journey, as long as there is light at end of tunnel.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

"Agree that we all need to exercise patience, and take into account that every player and our HC are undergoing a learning curve to a
new role/job. What is key now is twofold - seeing adjustments in strategy and personnel from DC, and seeing improvement and
development from our roster. I think everyone will be ok taking some expected lumps on this journey, as long as there is light at end of tunnel"

Patience is a virtue and unfortunately is in short supply on this board. If you need any proof of that look at the prediction contest.
Almost 70% of the predictors had this team winning 18 or more games and possibly making the NIT at the least. Many posts stated
that anything short of an NCAAT bid would be a failure for the team and the new coaching staff. We lost 3 and 1/2 starters
and 5 senior contributors from the most successful team in the last 20 years and one of the 4 best lineups in the last 40 years.
With Dowtin playing the 2 , only Cyril has the same role as last year and we need double the minutes and production from him.
Fatts has had to move from a no-pressure spot energy guy to the prime director of the offense, CT is coming off an injury/year lay-off.
The entire coaching staff is either new or has a new role.
What is happening should not have been un-expected do a degree. The absolute wretched shooting has only made everything worse.
I still think that with some adjustments things will work out but not to the "EXPECTATIONS " of many. We were all spoiled by the last
2 years. Things will get better, just buckle up for the inexperience roller coaster!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Whose fault is it Dowtin is playing the 2? Whose fault is it that Fatts is now the prime director of the offense? These aren't some unavoidable situations we found ourselves in, they are unforced errors by our coaching staff making the transition harder by playing guys out of position, and they don't get a pass on those two decisions that are hurting the team.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am not asking for anyone's firing and i agree to give Cox time but i am not happy the direction a 2 year in a row ncaa team is going

i saw in person on saturday how pathetic we looked

it was truly emBARONsing

blame goes to the top - as will the praise if he turns this around

Go Cox, Go Rhody.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

How many 5'8" - 2 guards are there in Division one. Jeff's size made him the logical choice as the 2 and Fatts the one.
It hasn't worked out and it's time for a change in roles. Some times team make up makes the roles seem obvious
until they are not.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Jeff can still run point and defend the 2 while Fatts plays the 2 offensively and guards the opposing PG defensively. Not sure how people don't get this.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago Jeff can still run point and defend the 2 while Fatts plays the 2 offensively and guards the opposing PG defensively. Not sure how people don't get this.
Amen! There's far more to positions than just height, namely aptitude for being able to play the position. Jeff was always obviously the point guard and it should have been obvious during the last two years that Cox was on the bench. The same with Fatts not being a college level distributor with his play last year. He hunts for his own offense way too much for a point guard with that shooting percentage. To have them play these roles was always a bad idea. They got too cute and it cost them. Now lets see if they actually make the needed switch.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago We lost 3 and 1/2 starters and 5 senior contributors from the most successful team in the last 20 years and one of the 4 best lineups in the last 40 years.
I'm generalizing all fan bases here, but I think there is always a sense in overrating players when there are substantial personnel changes over the course of the offseason.
For example, take Fatts.
Last year he could come off the bench, play his 15-20 minutes per game, and be a complete pest on defense.
Some people say, he was good last year, he'll keep giving great defense and score more and be a dynamic player.
But this year, if he plays the same pestful defense, he risks burning himself out while playing 30+ minutes per night.
There is also the difference of being a focus versus being a secondary contributor.
Last year, where was Fatts on the offensive priority list when on the court? 4th? 5th?
Last year he shot 7 times in 18 minutes (basically 1 shot every 2.57 minutes).
This year he is shooting 15 times in 32 minutes (basically 1 shot every 2.1 minutes).
Over the course of 40 minutes, he's taking 3 more shots.
That's not a huge amount given pure volume.
The difference is the quality of shot, which comes a lot from game-planning and increased focus.
There is a huge learning curve that comes with being one of the primary threats on a team, just like there's a huge learning curve with being a freshman entering college.
But it's a learning curve that's often forgotten and leads a lot of fanbases to initial disappointment every season.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The team is currently .500. This isn't a sinking ship or a dumpster fire. Things can be improved and adjusted. There is a ton of practice time between now and the Holy Cross game, and then another week of practice time followed by that before the WVU game. Have some compassion for a coach in a new role with a young team. I don't know how many times people have to say this. If this was February different story, but we've just started the month of December.