12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/01 | @ Providence Friars | 5PM (FS1)

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago we could/should be 6-0

just a thought
........yeah but........aren’t teams really what their record says they are?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hurley was leaving for UCONN regardless - one of his dream jobs, they could always offer more $, large fan base, practice facility, tradition/4 national championships etc.
Agree..hurleys ego and drive to win were going to make him move on... Don't give up on cox yet. Let's see how he handles adversity.. He is 6 games in.. Patience people... Flashes from Harris and Martin are positives.. Harris needs to stay out of foul trouble. Tate needs to take the next step now. Those 3 are key to the season. They must be major contributors.fatts needs to be sparkplug off the bench. Thompson is the same player he has always been. To expect more from him is unreasonable.. Silverio is a bench player. Don't expect too much from him. Too slow..
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope they all have some pride and hate the results more than we do. I hope this was rock bottom and will lead to team meetings and whatever else they need to do to straighten this thing out. The season is 1 game away from being 25% in and non-con is half over...its not early any longer.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Way too many people are letting Cox off the hook by saying it's not the coach who is missing the shots. No, he's not on the court, but he's done a poor job of coaching so far, and it's his coaching that has directly lead to the poor offense.

We always knew there would be a transition as guys took new roles and we worked freshmen in. The one thing we had going for us, the ONE thing, was we had an experienced point guard who has shown the ability to score while getting everyone else involved and putting them in position to score. What does Cox do? Moves Jeff off the ball. Who does that?

Ok, so we're going to squander having Jeff at point guard and what that gives us, we must have some really great point guard option in place, right? No! For all the good things Fatts has done in his time here, he's never shown an ability to be a point guard. He looks for his own shot far too often and shoots at a low percentage. Letting him run the offense was always going to lead to too many poor shot choices and wasted possessions, plus it didn't let Jeff put Fatts in good places to score. So now you've got a struggling Fatts, who you still give the green light to, and no one to set him up on the floor because he's the point guard. All of that is bad coaching.

Starting Saturday Cox has to change things up and go with the radical strategy of having our point guard play the point. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but it's just crazy enough that it might work.

I don't have an opinion on Fatts' playing time right now, I can see merit to both sides. You don't want to sit him and make him feel like he's being punished and get further down on himself, especially since it's not his fault, it's Cox' for not putting him in position to succeed. At the same time, his performance is hurting our ability to win. I just know he should not be our point guard, even if Jeff isn't on the floor.

Also, has anyone figured out why Cox takes a time out midway through the second half after we make a basket. He does it every game and I don't understand it, no one I sit around does either, and I can't say it's something I recognize other coaches doing.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Way too many people are letting Cox off the hook by saying it's not the coach who is missing the shots. No, he's not on the court, but he's done a poor job of coaching so far, and it's his coaching that has directly lead to the poor offense.

We always knew there would be a transition as guys took new roles and we worked freshmen in. The one thing we had going for us, the ONE thing, was we had an experienced point guard who has shown the ability to score while getting everyone else involved and putting them in position to score. What does Cox do? Moves Jeff off the ball. Who does that?

Ok, so we're going to squander having Jeff at point guard and what that gives us, we must have some really great point guard option in place, right? No! For all the good things Fatts has done in his time here, he's never shown an ability to be a point guard. He looks for his own shot far too often and shoots at a low percentage. Letting him run the offense was always going to lead to too many poor shot choices and wasted possessions, plus it didn't let Jeff put Fatts in good places to score. So now you've got a struggling Fatts, who you still give the green light to, and no one to set him up on the floor because he's the point guard. All of that is bad coaching.

Starting Saturday Cox has to change things up and go with the radical strategy of having our point guard play the point. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but it's just crazy enough that it might work.

I don't have an opinion on Fatts' playing time right now, I can see merit to both sides. You don't want to sit him and make him feel like he's being punished and get further down on himself, especially since it's not his fault, it's Cox' for not putting him in position to succeed. At the same time, his performance is hurting our ability to win. I just know he should not be our point guard, even if Jeff isn't on the floor.

Also, has anyone figured out why Cox takes a time out midway through the second half after we make a basket. He does it every game and I don't understand it, no one I sit around does either, and I can't say it's something I recognize other coaches doing.
Agreed. We made a basket and we take a time out...I thought Cooley was calling them to stop the momentum, but it was Cox stopping the momentum! Who does that! Stop bad momentum, not good! I understand doing that with 1-2 min left in a close game and you are trying to set the D...
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I've been reading some of the comments this morning and I have to admit I'm a little shocked at what's being said. I never felt Rhody was going to win against PC this year with such a young team and with the way they've played to start the season, BUT I was actually very pleasantly surprised by what I saw out of Rhody yesterday and during the Brown game. The way they played in the first 4 games of the season, in my opinion, was pretty disorganized and I admit I have been on the fence about Cox's ability to coach the team in a way that would bring results the way Hurley did.
After watching the game yesterday against PC, I'm now on the Cox supporter train. It appeared to me that two factors influenced the team's loss last night...their inability to hit open shots & the officiating...and the poor officiating was to be expected, so in my opinion, it was really just the missed shots. When PC went to a zone, the team moved around the top of the arc and the ball shifted well and guys got open looks. By all accounts Cox appeared to have them prepared and I actually thought they broke down that zone better than when Hurley was coach. It was fluid. There was constant motion and guys were moving the ball around at a fairly quick pace. I credit Cox for that.
Harris got in foul trouble. Martin & Fatts missed some really open shots. They had every opportunity to win that game and that team looked the most organized that I've seen them look all year. They played as a true team. I'm ok with the loss. I've stated all season that I want to see how they are when the Holy Cross game comes around...and thus far it looks to me like they are steadily improving. I saw the first signs of it in the Brown game and more of it yesterday and the only way that happens is if their being coached well, in my opinion.
Last edited by The Dude 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

First, the officiating wasn't a factor at all yesterday. There were absolutely bad calls on both sides, but to talk about officiating as a factor is a joke.

Second, constant motion? No, wrong.

We beat Brown because they suck and we have talent. There was nothing about that win that can be attributed to coaching
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The change in strength and conditioning coach is an interesting thing to think about...is there a direct correlation between that change and our shooting percentage dip? No way of knowing, i guess.

I like what I see from Martin and Harris. I think their development will put us in a good spot come conference play. Dowtin and Cyril need to be leaders and a steadying influence. Fatts needs to be off the ball and cause disruption on defense and taking it to the hole (and passing first?).

It’s early. I have confidence in Cox, but can also poke holes in some of his early season decisions. Time to grow from these mistakes and put the team in the best position to succeed. The good news is none of these games matter until we get to conference play.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I agree with every opinion that Jeff has to start being the primary 1. I think Cox’s thought process was ok but it isn’t working. It is going to be tough for Fatts to play 25plus minutes at the 2, which is the problem.

I disagree with people giving up on Omar. He will come around. Not as soon as Martin and Harris but by February I think people will be happy he is here.

If we had split the Stonybrook and Charlston games I think this board would be feeling better. All three of our losses have come on epically bad shooting that will likely work itself out.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Reading through these comments, there is a lot I agree and disagree with. One point I want to make regarding Coc though. I don't see how you blame a coach for players missing open shots. It's one thing if they were getting no looks (results of a bad game plan) but they are getting decent looks. You can't fault the coach for that.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You can blame the coach if they miss shots because he recruited kids who can't shoot. So far they can't...
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago we could/should be 6-0

just a thought

No we couldn’t, and no we shouldn’t.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hurley was leaving for UCONN regardless - one of his dream jobs, they could always offer more $, large fan base, practice facility, tradition/4 national championships etc.
Perhaps another additional reason Hurley left URI was that he knew he did not have things in place for continued success this season without a dip and rebuild. The team you have seen in the last six games save for Omar was entirely put together by Hurley.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago I also want to see Fatts coming off the bench with Tyrese starting

Cox needs to make changes
Amen
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
Perhaps another additional reason Hurley left URI was that he knew he did not have things in place for continued success this season without a dip and rebuild. The team you have seen in the last six games save for Omar was entirely put together by Hurley.
This is truth so far, time for Dan to money grab.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago
This is an interesting take. Every recruiting success in the Hurley era was attributed to his assistants, most recently Cox for the last few years. Now that there is some concern about the current class it's all back to being Hurley's to own I guess?
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago Reading through these comments, there is a lot I agree and disagree with. One point I want to make regarding Coc though. I don't see how you blame a coach for players missing open shots. It's one thing if they were getting no looks (results of a bad game plan) but they are getting decent looks. You can't fault the coach for that.
I have to respectfully disagree. I arrived early for some pics and their pregame was essentially a dunking competition. Even COC fans pointed it out. They then went out and missed every bunny / open shot. I think the only person not dunking the ball was Aris. That I do blame on the coach.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is a bad take. Penders left as a money grab. Harrick left as a fame grab. Hurley left bc he wanted to compete at the highest level of his profession, and he didn't think he could do that at Rhody. In some ways his ambitions weren't matched by the university/administration, in some ways there are limitations to the Rhody job that simply make it challenging (conference, state support, etc)
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

This is a bad take. Penders left as a money grab. Harrick left as a fame grab. Hurley left bc he wanted to compete at the highest level of his profession, and he didn't think he could do that at Rhody. In some ways his ambitions weren't matched by the university/administration, in some ways there are limitations to the Rhody job that simply make it challenging (conference, state support, etc)
Both could be true for Hurley. I merely wrote ANOTHER ADDITIONAL REASON. No doubt that Hurley wanted more resources and a bigger stage. But it is also true his star would have likely dimmed a bit this season given all that was lost. Better to grab the brass ring when it was available rather than hope it came around again later after a bumpy turn.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Of course timing plays a factor in any coach deciding to leave for another program. It’s not exclusive to Hurley’s situation and doesn’t really tell us anything deeper about it.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago

Both could be true for Hurley. I merely wrote ANOTHER ADDITIONAL REASON. No doubt that Hurley wanted more resources and a bigger stage. But it is also true his star would have likely dimmed a bit this season given all that was lost. Better to grab the brass ring when it was available rather than hope it came around again later after a bumpy turn.
RF1 I agree with you, that the roster turnover certainly added something else to tip the scales towards Uconn. But I was mostly referring to the poster saying it was a money grab, not your reply.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t care to speculate on what would be different or not, but I would have liked to see Hurley coach this team. It works different coaching muscles than a roster like last year’s. And, if Ollie was still at UConn, he would be. Regardless, this is, in many ways, a challenging roster for a first-year head coach to manage, which is usually the case for rookie coaches.

As for the game, almost everything about it was ugly, and I think PC should only be credited with .5 of a win. I’m not sure I’ve ever really paid attention to MAL’s offensive game. I found it highly confusing.

My concerns coming into the season, besides the inexperience on the staff and roster, was Harris’s ability to stay out of foul trouble (based on his high school play) and Fatts adjusting to being a top 3 target for the other team’s opponent, which is where they’re at.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I made a slight revision to my sig tag. :lol:
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

PC shot 19 percent (4 of 21) in the second half and made no field goals over the final 7:37. They scored 20 points. You don't think the URI defense deserves credit for that?
[/quote]

URI shot 20% (6 of 30) in the second half. They scored 23. You don’t think PC’s defense deserves credit for that? It was just poor shooting by URI, not good defense by PC? Like I said, so hypocritical. It’s okay to call it the right way and take the Keaney blinders off for once.
[/quote]

When teams shoot as poorly as we do, its usually a combination of both good defense and poor offense. In this game, it was more of poor offense since we missed several open looks and several bunnies inside. PC was smart to play zone against us and their length gave us problems, so credit them for good defense, but we are going to make a lot teams look like they play good defense this year.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 5 years ago As for the game, almost everything about it was ugly, and I think PC should only be credited with .5 of a win. I’m not sure I’ve ever really paid attention to MAL’s offensive game. I found it highly confusing.
What in the world happened to MAL? I was begging with my TV for Cooley to put him in... he's awful.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

In the last 5 games the team has made 14 3pt shots in 103 attempts. That is a 13.5% rate and less than 3 made pg over 5 games.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I like what Cox said in the presser. The staff has to sit down and evaluate everything and that anything is on the table.
Cyril was the only player who had a good game today. Jeff was 5-14 and 0-4. He also disappeared offensively in the first half.
I would say that every player other than Cyril and Jeff has played below reasonable expectations so far this year.
Rhody has played four real D1 games and scored in the 50s in three of them.
If I was Cox, I would sit with Jeff first. It could be that Jeff’s style and personality don’t fit the SG position. If that is the conclusion, I move Jeff back to PG immediately.
I am disappointed with Thompson’s offense.
I believe this is probably a 15-15 and 14-16 team. I would start playing the freshmen more and Thompson less.
The biggest challenge for Cox is what to do with Fatts. He clearly needs to sit. How much Cox changes his role could determine if Fatts ever is a significant player at URI. Does he become a role player like Jarvis was for his Jr & Sr year after Jeff took the starting PG spot? Or does he work Fatts back into a starting role in 5-6 games?
Fatts is now missing layups. Some of it is mental but he is also putting significant spin on every shot. He was taking his FT without a knee bend (leg injury).
When Cox says look at everything I hope that includes their in season strength training (everyone is shooting poorly), practice routine and the players’ time outside of practice (rest/sleep habits & eating habits). They did change their in season strength training this year.
That's a great point about in season lifting. Getting stronger should be an off season thing. In season should be about conditioning and maintenance. I think heavy lifting (in season) is about the worst thing that can be done for someone shooting a basketball.
BleedBlue87
ARD

RIFan wrote: 5 years ago You can blame the coach if they miss shots because he recruited kids who can't shoot. So far they can't...
But we know that they have a history of being able to shoot. Thompson, Fatts, Dowtin have all displayed good shooting abilities at different points....
BleedBlue87
ARD

NC_Ram wrote: 5 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago Reading through these comments, there is a lot I agree and disagree with. One point I want to make regarding Coc though. I don't see how you blame a coach for players missing open shots. It's one thing if they were getting no looks (results of a bad game plan) but they are getting decent looks. You can't fault the coach for that.
I have to respectfully disagree. I arrived early for some pics and their pregame was essentially a dunking competition. Even COC fans pointed it out. They then went out and missed every bunny / open shot. I think the only person not dunking the ball was Aris. That I do blame on the coach.
I wouldn't be able to tell you if the pregame stuff is even relevant. I would think what they do in practice is far more important than the small amount of time before the game.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago
RIFan wrote: 5 years ago You can blame the coach if they miss shots because he recruited kids who can't shoot. So far they can't...
But we know that they have a history of being able to shoot. Thompson, Fatts, Dowtin have all displayed good shooting abilities at different points....
Has Thompson really displayed good shooting abilities? He's never shot above 36% from the field, 32% from 3 and 62% from the free throw line.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
BleedBlue87 wrote: 5 years ago
Has Thompson really displayed good shooting abilities? He's never shot above 36% from the field, 32% from 3 and 62% from the free throw line.
And Fatts shot 36% last year.

And just over half that this year.

I don’t think you have him come off the bench until someone else shows something though. Hopefully Martin and Harris continue improving.

But this team cannot shoot. Which is kind of an important part of basketball. That was such a winnable game last night.

Need these freshmen to start contributing fast.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I completely get and share in people's frustration with the game yesterday and, to some extent, the season overall. This is a basketball team that cannot shoot the basketball, which is kind of a tough quality for a basketball team to have and which makes it a basketball team that is going to have a hard time beating anyone halfway decent. I had expected basically everyone on the team except Cyril to have been better out of the gate than they have been.

Having said that, I have two other thoughts that seem like they diverge a little bit from what other people are thinking:

1. It doesn’t REALLY matter that this team has started slow. Of course, as a consumer and a fan, I’d rather be seeing a better product in terms of the basketball being played. But this was never going to be an at-large team, and even the most optimistic fans knew that coming into the season. The idea was always that If this team was going to surprise with a great year it would be because it got better as time went on and they peaked right at the end became a good team for the A10 tournament. This isn’t like the last several years where we have to worry about OOC results blowing up our resume. Everything that this team could accomplish is still ahead of it.

2. Even though this team is behind where I had kind of thought they’d be to start the season, I can’t believe how surprised people seem that they’re off to a slow start. I didn’t predict it, either, but it does feel reasonable that a team with every single person involved in the basketball program either new to the team, new to college hoops or in a new role (save for Jeff and Ty) might need some adjustment time. I think some of the conclusions I’ve seen people come to here with respect to certain players and the coach are premature and they’re too sensitive to what little information we’ve gotten from the small sample size so far. I obviously can’t guarantee that they will evolve to the point where these early season struggles seem like a totally different team, but I definitely wouldn’t be surprised at all if that were to happen. It’s not hard to imagine how it would: Harris and Martin emerge as legit guys you can count on for 8-12 points and 4-6 boards every night, Fatts finds his stroke, the staff figures out the right roles/balance for Jeff and Fatts, etc.

I feel like everyone agreed that patience were going to be in order for this group, but then once the season starts it is a race to see who can give up on the team and the coach the fastest. Not every team that looks bad at the beginning of the season gets better - some teams are just bad - but the ones that do get better still look bad first.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago First, the officiating wasn't a factor at all yesterday. There were absolutely bad calls on both sides, but to talk about officiating as a factor is a joke.

Second, constant motion? No, wrong.

We beat Brown because they suck and we have talent. There was nothing about that win that can be attributed to coaching
Feel free to watch video of the game again if you'd like. If they win it's talent, but if they lose it's the coach? Ahhh, got it.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago I completely get and share in people's frustration with the game yesterday and, to some extent, the season overall. This is a basketball team that cannot shoot the basketball, which is kind of a tough quality for a basketball team to have and which makes it a basketball team that is going to have a hard time beating anyone halfway decent. I had expected basically everyone on the team except Cyril to have been better out of the gate than they have been.

Having said that, I have two other thoughts that seem like they diverge a little bit from what other people are thinking:

1. It doesn’t REALLY matter that this team has started slow. Of course, as a consumer and a fan, I’d rather be seeing a better product in terms of the basketball being played. But this was never going to be an at-large team, and even the most optimistic fans knew that coming into the season. The idea was always that If this team was going to surprise with a great year it would be because it got better as time went on and they peaked right at the end became a good team for the A10 tournament. This isn’t like the last several years where we have to worry about OOC results blowing up our resume. Everything that this team could accomplish is still ahead of it.

2. Even though this team is behind where I had kind of thought they’d be to start the season, I can’t believe how surprised people seem that they’re off to a slow start. I didn’t predict it, either, but it does feel reasonable that a team with every single person involved in the basketball program either new to the team, new to college hoops or in a new role (save for Jeff and Ty) might need some adjustment time. I think some of the conclusions I’ve seen people come to here with respect to certain players and the coach are premature and they’re too sensitive to what little information we’ve gotten from the small sample size so far. I obviously can’t guarantee that they will evolve to the point where these early season struggles seem like a totally different team, but I definitely wouldn’t be surprised at all if that were to happen. It’s not hard to imagine how it would: Harris and Martin emerge as legit guys you can count on for 8-12 points and 4-6 boards every night, Fatts finds his stroke, the staff figures out the right roles/balance for Jeff and Fatts, etc.

I feel like everyone agreed that patience were going to be in order for this group, but then once the season starts it is a race to see who can give up on the team and the coach the fastest. Not every team that looks bad at the beginning of the season gets better - some teams are just bad - but the ones that do get better still look bad first.
I agree with most everything you say. I don't get the hits on Cox at this point at all. I don't think the offense or defense look inept in execution. The issue is the inability to score. The 3pt shooting is abysmal. And I don't agree with Jeff Dowtin not being our primary point guard (not that you said anything about it). That's what he is. And a good one. Shooting guards can be rotated based on their whether their shots are going in. A point guard runs the team and Jeff needs to run this team. The focus should be who is the 2 guard, not the 1. The 2 should be either CT, Fatts or Omar. Those three need to figure it out based on performance.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram
Frank Keaney

I hope he posts on pc, because they sucked too.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago I've been reading some of the comments this morning and I have to admit I'm a little shocked at what's being said. I never felt Rhody was going to win against PC this year with such a young team and with the way they've played to start the season, BUT I was actually very pleasantly surprised by what I saw out of Rhody yesterday and during the Brown game. The way they played in the first 4 games of the season, in my opinion, was pretty disorganized and I admit I have been on the fence about Cox's ability to coach the team in a way that would bring results the way Hurley did.
After watching the game yesterday against PC, I'm now on the Cox supporter train. It appeared to me that two factors influenced the team's loss last night...their inability to hit open shots & the officiating...and the poor officiating was to be expected, so in my opinion, it was really just the missed shots. When PC went to a zone, the team moved around the top of the arc and the ball shifted well and guys got open looks. By all accounts Cox appeared to have them prepared and I actually thought they broke down that zone better than when Hurley was coach. It was fluid. There was constant motion and guys were moving the ball around at a fairly quick pace. I credit Cox for that.
Harris got in foul trouble. Martin & Fatts missed some really open shots. They had every opportunity to win that game and that team looked the most organized that I've seen them look all year. They played as a true team. I'm ok with the loss. I've stated all season that I want to see how they are when the Holy Cross game comes around...and thus far it looks to me like they are steadily improving. I saw the first signs of it in the Brown game and more of it yesterday and the only way that happens is if their being coached well, in my opinion.
I tend to agree with this take, I don't see a poorly coached team out there. More like a green team making mistakes & not confident enough to hit shots.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rhodyruckus wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago I've been reading some of the comments this morning and I have to admit I'm a little shocked at what's being said. I never felt Rhody was going to win against PC this year with such a young team and with the way they've played to start the season, BUT I was actually very pleasantly surprised by what I saw out of Rhody yesterday and during the Brown game. The way they played in the first 4 games of the season, in my opinion, was pretty disorganized and I admit I have been on the fence about Cox's ability to coach the team in a way that would bring results the way Hurley did.
I tend to agree with this take, I don't see a poorly coached team out there. More like a green team making mistakes & not confident enough to hit shots.
Thank you!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well Cox has given Fatts a long leash to see if he can break out of his slump....it hasn't happened yet and he [Cox] can't wait any longer.

These freshmen are having a trial by fire, due to lack of direction and production by the older players [except for Cyril and to a lesser extent Jeff]….time to play them as much as possible and let them learn on the job......it will pay off big time down the road.

These road games coming up could be plenty ugly, but if it's what it takes to make these guys better, then so be it. I can see the potential.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fun fact (not really) Rhody has one game at the RC out of their next 8 games (4 are neutral site). They play Middle Tenn on Dec 30th. Their next home game after that is Jan 13 vs Mason.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Fun fact (not really) Rhody has one game at the RC out of their next 8 games (4 are neutral site). They play Middle Tenn on Dec 30th. Their next home game after that is Jan 13 vs Mason.
I have every game in my calendar on my phone. Was looking at that earlier and kind of makes me sad how long of a break it is from the RC. Oh well, planning on being at Mohegan as well as slim possibly of going to Holy Cross on Saturday.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That doesn't bode well since we are young and will struggle on the road
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The Dude wrote: 5 years ago After watching the game yesterday against PC, I'm now on the Cox supporter train. It appeared to me that two factors influenced the team's loss last night...their inability to hit open shots & the officiating...and the poor officiating was to be expected, so in my opinion, it was really just the missed shots.
The officiating was pretty horrific in both directions. The difference was the depth. PC wants to play 8 guys 15+ minutes per game. Conversely, it feels like URI wants to play their starters all 30+ mpg. Bad officiating is going to kill the team more reliant on their starters.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's alright. The more they play, the better they will be. Build toward the in-conference play. The tournament in Brooklyn.

Cox just has to do a great job shaping the narrative for these guys. Give them roles they can handle. One game to the next.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
The Dude wrote: 5 years ago After watching the game yesterday against PC, I'm now on the Cox supporter train. It appeared to me that two factors influenced the team's loss last night...their inability to hit open shots & the officiating...and the poor officiating was to be expected, so in my opinion, it was really just the missed shots.
The officiating was pretty horrific in both directions. The difference was the depth. PC wants to play 8 guys 15+ minutes per game. Conversely, it feels like URI wants to play their starters all 30+ mpg. Bad officiating is going to kill the team more reliant on their starters.
The officiating had little to no impact on the final score. As is normally the case, good and bad calls for both sides. Nothing even close to egregious.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Yeah I think at this point even if it hurts us in the immediate term, you need to stick with the young guys so when A10 games start, they're more ready to compete. The conference is still wide open.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The current stretch of the schedule is not helpful for a team such as URI with so many new pieces. Only one (MTSU) of eight games will be at home.

Home Game #4 11/24/18 Stony Brook
Home Game #5 12/30/18 Middle Tenn State Univ
Home Game #6 01/13/19 George Mason

Not very likely to have a winning record after the first two A-10 conference games which unfortunately are on the road (@SLU and @Richmond).

My fear is that schedule will mean the team will take some lumps which could very easily hurt the fragile psyche of such an inexperienced team.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Another week off in between games.

Have we ever had this many week long gaps between games before?
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Another week off in between games.

I can't recall anything similar. I also however can't remember ever going 35 days without a home game or just one home game in 49 days.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Another week off in between games.

I can't recall anything similar. I also however can't remember ever going 35 days without a home game or just one home game in 49 days.
I don't think since Penders' first year. I think they were re doing the floor in Keaney and then had a bunch of road/neutral site games.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”