‘19 F Anthony Walker (Miami ---> Indiana)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘19 MD F Anthony Walker (Offer)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Schools like us have to get the early verbal in MOST cases. Not saying anything with assurity, just my .02.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:Schools like us have to get the early verbal in MOST cases. Not saying anything with assurity, just my .02.
Last year Harris visited on 9/22-23 and made verbal on Oct 6th.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Harris is an anomaly.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

It doesn’t feel great that we land Walker unless Bishop, the coaches and players can push him towards Rhody! He will be attending football games at large venues on his visits and playing in the ACC seems very important to him. I think Illinois has strong chance of landing him also. I’m surprised if he goes ACC he would pick Pitt over Miami
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

RamStock wrote:It doesn’t feel great that we land Walker unless Bishop, the coaches and players can push him towards Rhody! He will be attending football games at large venues on his visits and playing in the ACC seems very important to him. I think Illinois has strong chance of landing him also. I’m surprised if he goes ACC he would pick Pitt over Miami
Nobody on this board knows what Walker is looking for. I’d be willing to bet the staff is putting in the work and feels like they are in a strong position for his commitment. I think it’s also a great sign they have him and Bishop visiting the same weekend, they was their preferred choice and they got it done. Well done.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All I know is this team is getting BIG!!!!!!! Let's go Walker, Gonzaga of the East!!!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Harris is an anomaly.
Every first is an anomaly until the next one and then the next one.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Pitt has had a lot of recruits in for unofficial visits. The only official visit they have scheduled so far is Walker. That is pretty weak considering we are at the end of Aug and Sept/Oct is the peak time for official visits.

247 shows them “warm” with nine Top 150 players but they aren’t considered the lead on any of them. They are also warm on two 3 star recruits. So Walker is a top priority but he could have no one with him talent wise. Capel did land two Top 150 ‘18 players late - SF & CG. Pitt is still going to be at or near the bottom of the ACC for at least the next few years.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I'm just not worried about Pitt. Their players transfer within conference if they get the chance. Not sure if those Jamie Dixon days will ever come back regularly.

I also think URI has been prominent the past two years. They have something to sell. Helps that Cox was the assistant head coach to Hurley. When selling URI, recruits know that means he was integral to the tournament runs.

Also doesn't hurt that Cox and Sutton are strong names in the DMV.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Pitt has had a lot of recruits in for unofficial visits. The only official visit they have scheduled so far is Walker. That is pretty weak considering we are at the end of Aug and Sept/Oct is the peak time for official visits.

247 shows them “warm” with nine Top 150 players but they aren’t considered the lead on any of them. They are also warm on two 3 star recruits. So Walker is a top priority but he could have no one with him talent wise. Capel did land two Top 150 ‘18 players late - SF & CG. Pitt is still going to be at or near the bottom of the ACC for at least the next few years.
People seem pretty sure that Wahab will come down to them and Cuse FWIW. But not an easy place to recruit to right now.

My worry with Walker isn't about a particular school, but that he seems to be the type that loves getting these big name offers, wheras Bishop seems like he couldn't care less. That's why I feel really confident about Bishop (among other reasons), but don't think that Walker ends up here if I had to guess right now. Hopefully visiting with Bishop will help, and he already knows that his role here would be much bigger than other schools recruiting him.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I agree that I don’t think Walker ends up here, but hope that coming with Bishop the same weekend helps. I think people should consider Pittsburgh more of a threat as they have a new coach with good ties that will have them back in the middle of the ACC in a couple years. It would be an awesome class if they were ever able to get Bishop, Walker and McLeod
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

I’m hearing the staff believes they are in a great position with Walker. Clearly they were able to get him to visit during their preferable weekend which is another good sign. From all accounts they have done a great job recruiting Walker. Im hopeful he sees the opportunity here and what the program and school has to offer him.
Last edited by CT Rhody 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some Rhody positives:
He made 4 unofficial visits - Rhody, Seton Hall, ECU & Pitt. Only two of those schools left.
His mother likes URI (made unofficial visit with him) and likes that Coach Cox and Sutton have been involved with Walker the longest.
Walker’s connection with other Rhody recruits and current players from the DMV.
Walker joining with Bishop & Long to be a top recruiting class for URI.
The reputation Cox and Sutton have in the DMV.
Rhody’s recent success in the A10 and NCAAs.

Concerns:
Per my source Walker took much longer than the staff was expecting to get to final list and schedule official visits.
Will Walker chase for a P5 school.
Pitts interest in Walker lately and Walker seeming to be excited with that.
Capel is selling his experience with bigs at Duke.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Capel is also the same guy that was fired at Oklahoma for a lack of on court success. Now he is back at the helm of a college program, the question becomes if he is just a retread or really a top tier college basketball coach.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Capel had two NCAA Tournament years (one Elite 8 with Blake Griffin) but then had two losing years. They went 13-18 in 2009-10. The coaching staff got caught in a recruiting scandal in April 2010. They lost 5 underclassmen in the offseason due to the recruiting violation rumors. They went 14-18 in 2010-11 and Capel was fired.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Hope Cox closes on Walker, that would be great. I'm feeling good about Bishop more than Walker. But that last quote from the article just oozes Rhody to me. I'm certainly not reading in between the lines, just on what Walker said aligns in my opinion with URI

“I’m looking for a campus that is like a home away from home," said Walker. "Not too big and not too small and place where I can have fun off the court but where they also take basketball seriously. I want to be comfortable on their campus with their jersey on and off and feel like I’m at a home away from home.”

home away from home - Cox/Sutton/some current players w/DMV ties
not too big and not too small - URI

To me it rings a bell, hopefully on his visit it will too!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

My daughter lives in Pittsburgh. She misses Rhode Island...
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think a lot of Pitt fans are going to figure out that, overall, they had an ok thing going with Dixon as coach. He seems to be very happy at TCU, though. Capel has the advantage of coming after Stallings, who was a disaster.

The area by the Cathedral of Learning is very nice, but Pitt doesn’t really have a defined campus area. I lived in Pittsburgh for a year, and there are some very fun and interesting neighborhoods. The campus is kind of meh, but they do have nice accommodations and facilities for athletes.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Is the campus in the city? I thought it wasn’t in a great area of Pittsburgh. It might be the arena I am thinking of.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, it’s in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, and the arena is on campus. I lived in Oakland and thought it was fine. I get a little wary of conversations about “bad” neighborhoods. Good people live in them, too. The campus is fit into the city, so definitely a different feel than something like URI.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walker is making an unofficial visit to Kansas on Sept 28th (their midnight madness). Several of Kansas’ top targets that they have offered are making official visits at the same time. Walker pays for his flights, hotel etc. The other recruits go to a nice dinner with Coach Self paid for by KU. PF Robinson-Earl (#17 nationally) and C James Wiseman (#1 nationally) will be visiting. Both played for Self on Team USA in the World Championship this summer. It’s a different league
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

I'll eat a shoe if Walker gets a Kansas offer. Robinson Earl, Hurt, Nnaji, Hall are all power forwards they have a great chance with. Walker is wasting his time, but it's probably his dream school so if it makes him happy he can pay his way to their midnight madness.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The only school that Walker’s mother (Towanda Hayes) has visited is URI. She is active in his recruiting. Was at all the AAU events in July. Active on Twitter supporting him. She was very positive about the unofficial visit to Kingston. Really likes Coach Cox and Coach Sutton.

Edit: missed the pic with Walker and his mother at Pitt.

Getting an early verbal commitment from Bishop would be key. Bishop and Long could then recruit Walker. Just like in the NBA other players recruiting an uncommitted player has become popular in college. Pitt most likely will not have a committed player at that point to sell Walker on joining them.
Last edited by Rhody83 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Walker is making an unofficial visit to Kansas on Sept 28th (their midnight madness). Several of Kansas’ top targets that they have offered are making official visits at the same time. Walker pays for his flights, hotel etc. The other recruits go to a nice dinner with Coach Self paid for by KU. PF Robinson-Earl (#17 nationally) and C James Wiseman (#1 nationally) will be visiting. Both played for Self on Team USA in the World Championship this summer. It’s a different league
You really think Walker will pay his way to Kansas? KANSAS? Cmon Rhody, this is the NCAA WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! ....just saying.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The only school that Walker’s mother (Towanda Hayes) has visited is URI. She is active in his recruiting. Was at all the AAU events in July. Active on Twitter supporting him.
83, his mother was along for the Pitt visit.

Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Walker is making an unofficial visit to Kansas on Sept 28th (their midnight madness). Several of Kansas’ top targets that they have offered are making official visits at the same time. Walker pays for his flights, hotel etc. The other recruits go to a nice dinner with Coach Self paid for by KU. PF Robinson-Earl (#17 nationally) and C James Wiseman (#1 nationally) will be visiting. Both played for Self on Team USA in the World Championship this summer. It’s a different league
You really think Walker will pay his way to Kansas? KANSAS? Cmon Rhody, this is the NCAA WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! ....just saying.
Do you think Kansas is going to risk an NCAA violation by paying for an unofficial visit? No way they do that.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
Do you think Kansas is going to risk an NCAA violation by paying for an unofficial visit? No way they do that.
Oh, i forgot, everything is out in the open these days *eye roll*
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Risk vs reward. If Kansas wanted Walker they would use one of their allowed 16 official visits. They aren’t going to try to sneak an unofficial visit and pay for it no matter how little the risk. Pick something more meaningful to theorize about.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Risk vs reward. If Kansas wanted Walker they would use one of their allowed 16 official visits. They aren’t going to try to sneak an unofficial visit and pay for it no matter how little the risk. Pick something more meaningful to theorize about.
I will. Just wish I had your level of naievity when it came to this topic. Agree to disagree on this one.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Risk vs reward. If Kansas wanted Walker they would use one of their allowed 16 official visits. They aren’t going to try to sneak an unofficial visit and pay for it no matter how little the risk. Pick something more meaningful to theorize about.
I will. Just wish I had your level of naievity when it came to this topic. Agree to disagree on this one.
So Kansas has 16 officials lined up, and now they are paying under the table for Walker? Is that it?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
So Kansas has 16 officials lined up, and now they are paying under the table for Walker? Is that it?
You think that’s a lot of money to them or their boosters/donors? It’s a drop in the bucket.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Let’s just hope the staff is in a good position with Walker, from all accounts be is an immediate impact guy at URI!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Agree CT, I apologize for going too far off course.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Kansas has four official visits scheduled which includes those that have already happen. They have plenty left if they wanted to use one on Walker.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think were looking good here.
Eff Kansas
We've beaten you in the tournament once and we will beat you again.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Illinois official tomorrow
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Illinois Sept 6-8 (Tues-Thurs)
Pitt Sept 14-16 (Fri-Sun) no other recruits scheduled to visit
Rhody Sept 21-23 (Fri-Sun) with Bishop
Kansas Sept 28 & 29 (Fri & Sat) no offer/midnight madness
Miami Oct 5-7 (Fri-Sun)
VCU Oct 19-21 (Fri-Sun)

Thinking Walker makes a verbal commitment to Rhody the week of Oct 1st (before Miami visit) or the week of Oct 8th. Definitely before the VCU visit.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Illinois Sept 6-8 (Tues-Thurs)
Pitt Sept 14-16 (Fri-Sun) no other recruits scheduled to visit
Rhody Sept 21-23 (Fri-Sun) with Bishop
Kansas Sept 28 & 29 (Fri & Sat) no offer/midnight madness
Miami Oct 5-7 (Fri-Sun)
VCU Oct 19-21 (Fri-Sun)

Thinking Walker makes a verbal commitment to Rhody the week of Oct 1st (before Miami visit) or the week of Oct 8th. Definitely before the VCU visit.
I like your optimism on Walker, but I just don’t see it at this point and think Miami and even an outside shot at Kansas if they miss out on recruits will be viable players. I think both Illinois, who he has friend that will be playing there this year and Pittsburgh who has a very good chance will be tough to beat also. The things going for us are Bishop, his parents influence and a very good coaching staff. Anthony Walker seems to like the idea of playing in a power 5 conference. I feel much better on Bishop and McLeod. I hope that I am wrong, but I think he takes all the visits and builds up the drama. We will be in the mix, but I would say around 33% chance.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hopefully we show more love than Illinois when Walker visits Kingston.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Based on his IG story, he appears to be loving his Illinois visit. The big arenas, stadiums and amenities...none of which we can offer.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Based on his IG story, he appears to be loving his Illinois visit. The big arenas, stadiums and amenities...none of which we can offer.
I don’t think expect to see him in a URI uniform next year. We spent the most time with him and were after him harder than these other schools prior to him moving into the top 100. He just seems to love the attention of the power 5 schools. These schools just throw scholarships at every recruit without even watching or getting to know them. I’m hoping that Bishop and Fatts can change his mind. He would have a great opportunity here and may find time a little tougher at Miami or Illinois
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Based on his IG story, he appears to be loving his Illinois visit. The big arenas, stadiums and amenities...none of which we can offer.
We get it, you do not think he is coming to Rhode Island. You may be right, but I do not think he ends up at Illinois.

I think you are selling the Ryan Center and the game experience at Rhode Island a little short. It is not like we are talking Lasalle's arena or the St. Joes band box.

I hope he gets to campus for the official. If he does, I would give it a 50/50 shot. Cox is an impressive recruiter who really connects with the families. Just look what he has done already. Getting an early commitment from Long, is in really good shape with Bishop and McCleod. I would not rule Walker out by any stretch.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
I don’t think expect to see him in a URI uniform next year. We spent the most time with him and were after him harder than these other schools prior to him moving into the top 100. He just seems to love the attention of the power 5 schools. These schools just throw scholarships at every recruit without even watching or getting to know them. I’m hoping that Bishop and Fatts can change his mind. He would have a great opportunity here and may find time a little tougher at Miami or Illinois
Everybody relax, let the process play out. Let’s let him decide what he wants and I agree that certain people are selling URI and the Ryan Center short. I’m staying positive and think are chances are good but we’ll see.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You guys are right. Apologies.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Well if Kansas wants him we are probably done.

He does seem to really like the idea of playing in a power 5.

We aren't too far off from that level though.
If anything we've been a power conference type team the last two years.
Two tournament wins.
Nice arena.
We have had a lot of national attention the last few years.
We've been ranked for a number of weeks.
We beat power conference teams.
We are trending upwards despite losing Dan.
We are recruiting big time.
If you come here. You know you're going to be at the top of the conference and you will be on national TV and go to the tournament.

I mean I'm sure Walker and Bishop would like the potential of our team next year. Could be a sweet 16 level team.

Lots to sell to Skywalker.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I love the interpretations of what his posts/comments are from his IG story. Also the post that he loves the attention from the P5 schools. He shows the same level of interest in all the schools he comments about.

I will bet anyone and give you 5 to 1 odds that he doesn’t end up at Kansas. They aren’t using one of their 16 official visit on him.

Rhody is still very much in the running for Walker. He has a good relationship with Coach Cox and Coach Sutton. His mother really liked URI during their visit. He is friendly with Bishop and Long. He knows several of the current Rhody players from the DMV.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago You guys are right. Apologies.
Don’t apologize for your take just because people don’t agree. We need more hot takes, not less!
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hopefully we show more love than Illinois when Walker visits Kingston.
I don't think tweeting at a kid matters. Illinois fans are becoming jokes because of it. They annoy every beat writer and just look dumb tweeting stuff at kids that they don't even have a shot at. VCU fans had a phase like this too. It's cringeworthy in my opinion.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Disagree with regards to showing Walker the interest level.