General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Updated 247 ratings out today for ‘19s. Bishop dropped to 99, Walker dropped to 161 & McLeod went up to 118.
Other changes of interest - Akok up to 21 and Bouknight up to 73.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... HighSchool
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No reason in the world Walker should drop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No reason that McLeod should be 43 spots ahead of Walker. It shows you how off these ratings can be.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Mekhi Long down 23 spots to 200.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The ratings make no sense with Walker moving down. Long is probably about right at 200. He looks like a strong defensive player who will take a couple years offensively. I don’t think he will play much until maybe his third year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Which sites does the 247 Composite Score pull from? 247, Rivals, ESPN? The dots to the right of the ranking are supposed to measure the strength. I usually don’t pay that close attention to rankings above a certain point, but I pulled a few specific players to look at. It’s not adding up.

Yes, I know it doesn’t really matter. I was just curious.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The don’t disclose what rating services they pull from. It states that it complies from listed in the public domain by the major media recruiting services. I read from post from people who follow other teams last year thst the composite can be scewed because the sites update their rankings at different times.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Right, like ESPN is in the process of updating right now. I think the new list should be out today.

It used to be assumed that the sites were 247, ESPN, Rivals, and Scout but then Scout and 247 merged. 247 has just updated their composite lay-out to no longer include the composite strength meter part.

Bishop- 78 on Rivals, 99 on 247, 95 on ESPN and 84th on 247 Composite (would be 91 if those 3 were just averaged)

Walker- 95 on Rivals, 162 on 247, 3 stars but not top 100 on ESPN and 146th on 247 Composite

So, while the 247 Composite might be an ok starting point, it’s still not the definitive ranking that some seem to like to use it as. Bottom line, as always, trust your staff, and don’t look for transparency in recruiting rankings.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Great job on zeroing in on a group and getting on their final lists and then getting visits!
Iggy1979 wrote:From 83's great info from NY and some info that I have gotten these have been URI's priorities this week:

Guards
Dahmir Bishop (final 8)

SF
Yavuz Gultekin (eliminated)

PF/C
Anthony Walker (visit)
Naheem McLeod (final 6)
Qudus Wahab (final 12)
Mo Diawara (Oct visit)
Ray Summerville (final 6)
Marial Mading (visit)
John Bol Ajak
Last edited by Iggy1979 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is there a chance we can get all 4 ??

Bishop
Walker
Long
MCLeod
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Is there a chance we can get all 4 ??

Bishop
Walker
Long
MCLeod
Yes. Walker is the most competitive situation.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
reef wrote: 5 years ago Is there a chance we can get all 4 ??

Bishop
Walker
Long
MCLeod
Yes. Walker is the most competitive situation.
Love how this staff competes and doesn’t back down no matter who jumps into the recruitment!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Imagine if we get all 4 that's back to back amazing classes

We would own the A10 for the next 5 years
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It’s early because in the end the only thing that matters is who you sign. However, it is very encouraging that Cox has so many of their top targets coming for official visits.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 5 years ago Imagine if we get all 4 that's back to back amazing classes

We would own the A10 for the next 5 years
If they signed all four, could easily argue that would be the top rated class ever coming into Rhode Island. Hopefully they want to do something special together.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Right now on the recruiting calendar it is a Quiet Period - contact only on campus - that ends tomorrow.
Starting Sunday (Sept 9) thru Sept 29 is a Contact Period. The coaches can do visits at the recruits home and can also go to the recruits school/gym. Official Visits are still popular during this Contact Period. You do see in home visits so the coaches can sit with the parents and the player to convey how important the recruit is to them and let the family know everything they will do for the player academically and athletically. The prep schools and high schools with top recruits hold open gym time so college coaches can see the players on the court and talk with the player and coach. A busy recruiting time for Rhody coaches until practice starts in 18 days.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just want to throw out there that I am pretty confident in this new regime/team. I think things are going to be good!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

LaSalle is making moves for sure
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ashley Howard getting it done
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Don't see Stone as a big landing
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Talked to Coach Cox briefly at the football game. He said they are heading out on the road starting tomorrow for in home/school visits. Not sure who they are going to see but I suspect it will be some of the ‘19s they are active with and some of their top ‘20s.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Talked to Coach Cox briefly at the football game. He said they are heading out on the road starting tomorrow for in home/school visits. Not sure who they are going to see but I suspect it will be some of the ‘19s they are active with and some of their top ‘20s.
He sounds like a cox who understands that recruiting is like oxygen for a program, without recruiting success, you won’t survive as a program. I bet Walker and Bishops have in home visits 100% unless they told them that they aren’t taking any.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You see during some of the college recruiting visits these coaches are pumping recruits that aren’t rated in the top 50 with all this NBA promise. The chances of a player that isn’t in the top 50 making an NBA team has to be low. It is kind of said they mislead these kids so much.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Thinking what is included is URI’s pitch for in home visits and official visits. I would think part of the Carroll pitch is that he was an Ast Coach with the Celtics for 7 years. He should know what it takes to get to the pros. With Sutton they can talk about Montverde (that he built that program) - all of these kids know about Montverde. And that Sutton coached for USA Basketball. The coaching staff has 35 years D1 coaching experience - Cox 12 years, Sutton 11 years & Carroll 12 years. Sutton also has the other side of recruiting coaching 17 years at nationally ranked HS programs including the 7 years at Montverde. I am sure with their experience they have seen everything on recruiting trail.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So it's URI or X for Bishop, and LaSalle or URI for MCLeod. Would be nice to win those 2. Too many schools still in play for Walker to make a guess. Conference seems very important to him.
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

does anyone still think penn state is in play with bishop? closer to home, they made an offer to him earlier than uri and play in a big conference. he seemed very interested in them before the spring AAU season.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago So it's URI or X for Bishop, and LaSalle or URI for MCLeod. Would be nice to win those 2. Too many schools still in play for Walker to make a guess. Conference seems very important to him.
My guess is we will know what shape we are in after the Walker/Bishop Visit. If that isn’t enough to sell them, we may not know until October/November.

I believe we will get McLeod, Bishop and Madding. I’m starting to believe Walker will have a final 3 of Pitt/URI/VCU.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago So it's URI or X for Bishop, and LaSalle or URI for MCLeod. Would be nice to win those 2. Too many schools still in play for Walker to make a guess. Conference seems very important to him.
Unless Naheem has a burning desire to stay home, I see no way that La Salle beats URI in a recruiting battle. Howard has a great local rep, but that choice doesn’t seem close.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
My guess is we will know what shape we are in after the Walker/Bishop Visit. If that isn’t enough to sell them, we may not know until October/November.

I believe we will get McLeod, Bishop and Madding. I’m starting to believe Walker will have a final 3 of Pitt/URI/VCU.
I agree that Walker will be in play for URI with the final four probably being URI, Illinois, Pitt and VCU. I think that Illinois has as good a chance as anyone to get Walker. He has a friend playing there and he really loved his visit. I would pass on Madding. He looks to be a project that at best starts to have a chance to contribute a little by his junior year. I would rather wait for a transfer and go that route. I still feel that we get McLeod and Bishop. I would be surprised if we got Walker.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some have said that Penn State is still in the running for McLeod.

DC if you think Walker’s final 3 is Pitt/URI/VCU why do you think Rhody doesn’t have a chance?
I think Mading is plan B for Bishop. No way he plays the 4 in college.
If we don’t get Walker and recruit a 4, I think it is one of the bigger guys.
I don’t think Walker decides until after his unofficial to Kansas.
Not knowing on Bishop and Walker until the first week of Oct is a normal timeframe.
The players’ goal is to commit by the Nov NLOI date.
Walker doesn’t have VCU visit schedule until Oct 20th. Big gap from Kansas on Sept 28th.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Some have said that Penn State is still in the running for McLeod.

DC if you think Walker’s final 3 is Pitt/URI/VCU why do you think Rhody doesn’t have a chance?
I think Mading is plan B for Bishop. No way he plays the 4 in college.
If we don’t get Walker and recruit a 4, I think it is one of the bigger guys.
I don’t think Walker decides until after his unofficial to Kansas.
Not knowing on Bishop and Walker until the first week of Oct is a normal timeframe.
The players’ goal is to commit by the Nov NLOI date.
Walker doesn’t have VCU visit schedule until Oct 20th. Big gap from Kansas on Sept 28th.
Penn St is still in the running but McLeod hasn’t been a priority for them.

The staff loves Mading. I trust their Evals, esp. Cox’s.

For some reason I believe Illinois will be out of Walker’s top 3 choices. Even if Kansas offer’s, I’m convinced one of their higher priority recruits will commit before Walker is even allowed to commit. He is their 4th/5th option.

Our best chance to end this will be the Walker/Bishop Visit...that pitch has to be airtight. They would be dominant in the A10, and wouldn’t fly under other stars radars in another conference.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I know people are mad at Nevada, but a school like URI should absolutely be talking up what they’ve done and how they have put their team together. Based on URI’s recent success, they can replicate it. Players like the Martins were wasted on an an ACC team with a poor coach, now they’re stars at a lower level. Nevada is even hosting a pro day.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rivals is releasing their new top 150 later today.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I kind of like that Jeff Capel is chasing everything. I hope that takes away time from recruiting Walker and shows Walker that Pitt is all over the place. There is no way Pitt gets Cole Anthony. Also why rebuild with a one and done player.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Further evaluating Pitts recruiting since they seem to be the main competition for Walker. I am using 247 for my source (that could be a problem). Mainly focused on who they are “warm” with and any official visits.

Offers 45 with 25 of them to Top 100 recruits and 33 to Top 150. They have offered 9 Top 30 - really. 11 of their offers already verbaled to another school. It seems like Capel thinks he is recruiting at Duke. They are the bottom of the ACC.

They are “warm” on 8 recruits with the only official visit scheduled being Walker.
Details on Warm recruits:
Cole Anthony #3 CG - no OV scheduled. No way. Spring decision. Looking at one and done.
Cockburn #39 C - no OV scheduled. Prediction 50/50 Syracuse and UCONN
Wong #80 CG - OV Miami & UCONN. Prediction 100% Miami
Tre Mitchell #98 C - no OV scheduled. Prediction 100% ND
Wahab #106 C - no OV scheduled.
Chris Ledlum #134 SF - no OV scheduled. Prediction 50/50 ND & Vandy
Walker #146 PF - OV scheduled Sept 15
Jalen Gaffney #212 - 5 OV scheduled and Pitt isn’t scheduled. Not sure how he is still warm.

I wonder how OVs will be with Capel being new to Pitt, five new players and all the rest of the plsyers only being there one year. I don’t think it will have the family feeling that URI has when the recruit spends time with the players.

Pitt has 2 scholarships available next year. They need a C and have a shot at Wahab. That leaves one scholarship left.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Capel will sell conference, immediate playing time and the chance to be part of a rebuild.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Capel will sell conference, immediate playing time and the chance to be part of a rebuild.
Doesn't seem like he's going to get a class that will help rebuild them much given how far behind they are every other program in the ACC at this point. Even if they get Walker, he could be their best recruit. Not enough to help them
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Wouldn't mind seeing this kid commit to Xavier. Another highly touted wing/guard the are recruiting hard apparently. Although Bishop maybe be a preferred target for them, Dahmir is clearly Rhody's ,#1 targeted recruit.would say #1 targeted recruit for the Rams staff overall , certainly for guards.

You don't know how important something like that is to a particular recruit, but this is something that appears overwhelmingly in URI's favor. I would like to think the extra loyalty or distinction would at least weigh a little on Dahmir's or any recruits mind.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

FattsAndFurious wrote: 5 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Capel will sell conference, immediate playing time and the chance to be part of a rebuild.
Doesn't seem like he's going to get a class that will help rebuild them much given how far behind they are every other program in the ACC at this point. Even if they get Walker, he could be their best recruit. Not enough to help them
Not sold on his coaching but he can recruit. Pitt will get a lot better over the next four years.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

giovanni wrote: 5 years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing this kid commit to Xavier. Another highly touted wing/guard the are recruiting hard apparently. Although Bishop maybe be a preferred target for them, Dahmir is clearly Rhody's ,#1 targeted recruit.would say #1 targeted recruit for the Rams staff overall , certainly for guards.

You don't know how important something like that is to a particular recruit, but this is something that appears overwhelmingly in URI's favor. I would like to think the extra loyalty or distinction would at least weigh a little on Dahmir's or any recruits mind.
Huffman is a 2020. Has no impact on Bishop. Also Steele left Bishop a letter welcoming him for his visit we saw on IG that said he was their top recruit. It is easy to say that especially when you already have 3 verbals.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Bishop - Macleod - Walker.jpeg
BISHOP/MACLEOD/WALKER

Anyone thought this? I have been.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Present thought - I am once again concerned about a lack of shooters being recruited/on the team. Maybe not the end of the world that Bishop went somewhere else. Could be a really good player but we seem to have a lot of slashing / physical players. Need guys with shooting touch to balance the team. Maybe some of the current freshmen fill that role and my concern is for nothing.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Omar silverio is a pure shooter. He was known to be a tremendous shooter but has the ability to pass and make plays too. Tyrese didnt have a problem hitting 3s over a Duke recruit in cam reddish either.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Aris seemed to have a nice shot in the vid and that was 2 Years ago
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodylaw wrote: 5 years ago Present thought - I am once again concerned about a lack of shooters being recruited/on the team. Maybe not the end of the world that Bishop went somewhere else. Could be a really good player but we seem to have a lot of slashing / physical players. Need guys with shooting touch to balance the team. Maybe some of the current freshmen fill that role and my concern is for nothing.
Bishop isn’t a shooter. He’s a scorer.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Omar silverio is a pure shooter. He was known to be a tremendous shooter but has the ability to pass and make plays too. Tyrese didnt have a problem hitting 3s over a Duke recruit in cam reddish either.
I tend to forget about Omar, hopefully he is what the team needs. I guess my point is I see Tyrese as a scorer, Fatts as a scorer, Jeff as a scorer. All will likely shoot ok from deep but none will likely ever be a real consistent threat from 3. I feel like it is me necessary to have a coupled this evening guys on the team to open up the offense.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think they are/will be better 3 point shooters than you think. Martin can shoot. Fyi, Harris shot 40% from three his Sr year.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This was posted in response to post in the Bishop thread but the discussion really belongs here.

We are giving 247 too much weight in evaluating recruiting classes. Judge a class after their Soph or Jr years. 2017 was rated low because it was just Fatts. I would take someone at Fatts level every year. Measure a class by its impact players.
2018 TBD - most likely we will have at least two in Harris & Martin
2017 Fatts
2016 Dowtin & Cyril
2015 none at this point. Thompson TBD
2014 Terrell & Garrett
2013 EC & Hass

Will there be any players we get in 2019 that will make the list of impact players or will it be like 2015?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »