Art Stephenson

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UCONN THREAD

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Minus the prep for the next level thing
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

I saw yesterday that the Hurley's sold their house in Saunderstown for $940K. I guess the wife lost out on keeping it as a summer home
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Calhoun is giving the Hurleys his Green Hill house for two weeks each summer!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Calhoun is giving the Hurleys his Green Hill house for two weeks each summer!
Probably written into Dan's contract. ..
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Narr9999 wrote:I saw yesterday that the Hurley's sold their house in Saunderstown for $940K. I guess the wife lost out on keeping it as a summer home
Wouldn't surprise me if they upgrade to house on the water with Hurley's new contract.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Narr9999 wrote:I saw yesterday that the Hurley's sold their house in Saunderstown for $940K. I guess the wife lost out on keeping it as a summer home

Good. There were too many UConn hoops coaches in South County for my liking. Just got to get rid of one more now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Heard today the Hurleys bought a house either in Storrs or close to it, for 1.4 million.

Nice neighborhood, that.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: All things Dan Hurley/UConn THREAD

Unread post by ace »

Got a house near the campus a little while ago and sold the RI one. They just returned from a family vacation, and Andrew is enrolled in a new school. Life goes on.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Does anyone really care. Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long to sell the house since a deal was in place for him to go to UCONN 2 days before Ollie was fired.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote:Not what UCONN fans wanted to hear. Precious was playing with other top HS players in the Summer Showcase at Dyckman today. The other recruits talked about visits they are going to take. Sounds like he is going to pick the school that positions him best for nba draft (one and done). Not sure that is UCONN.

The Bronx’s Precious Achiuwa — a 2019 forward who announced his transfer to Montverde (FL) Academy — wasn’t as ready to talk about specific schools as other players were, shaking off questions about his list and saying he doesn’t have any visits on the horizon. He did, however, share that his priority when he does get to college will be to get ready for the NBA:
“It’s going to be a place that’s going to get me to the next level. A place I can go in and out as quick as possible,” he said. “A place that I feel comfortable playing with the players there and the coaching staff. A place I’m really comfortable at.”
I kind of love players who are this honest and haven’t learned to play the media game yet. The subtext of that, of course, is, “please offer me, Kentucky!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Today Precious decides to talk to Hoop Group. There is a theme to his answers - please bluebloods that haven’t offered make me an offer.

Q. Now that AAU is over with, what are you focused on?

A: “Now my mindset is focused on the next level. AAU basketball is over and now I’m looking at what is next for me. I’ll put a lot of thought into my decision to put myself in the best situation possible for me to accomplish my dreams.”

Q: What is the latest with your recruitment? Have you started to focus on certain schools?

A: “My recruitment is still wide open, there’s no favorites and everybody is the same. I’m looking for a place that can take my game to the next level and it doesn’t matter where that is. I’m still wide open to whomever and it’s going to be like that for a while until me and my family decide to move forward with the process. At this point I’m ready to focus on it.”

Q: What are you looking for in a school and what is going to separate one from the rest?

A: “Everyone involved in my recruitment is being considered right now. I’m looking at every school that is on my list. Everyone is being considered and I just want to make sure people know that I’m open. I’m just going to go to the place that is going to get me better.”
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hurley came in 2nd one vote behind Chris Mack for best HC hire in a poll of 100 coaches.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Hurley came in 2nd one vote behind Chris Mack for best HC hire in a poll of 100 coaches.
We need to remember that Dan Hurley was indeed a great hire by UConn, even if we hate UConn.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He was also a great hire by URI. Don’t forget that.

This was tough to read:
On Dan Hurley ...

"Perfect fit. East Coast guy. Dialed in with all those guys. He was successful in a lower conference that was trending on becoming a powerhouse anyway.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Was trending....does that mean it's over?
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago He was also a great hire by URI. Don’t forget that.

This was tough to read:
On Dan Hurley ...

"Perfect fit. East Coast guy. Dialed in with all those guys. He was successful in a lower conference that was trending on becoming a powerhouse anyway.
Lol @ "was"
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago He was also a great hire by URI. Don’t forget that.

This was tough to read:
On Dan Hurley ...

Lol @ "was"
They’re anonymous quotes from polled coaches. The question was about best hire, not tell me about the URI basketball program and what you think about Cox. Anonymous coach is not slamming your program. The first answer is he did that there (so yes, past tense) and now he has a new situation.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I didn’t take that comment as slamming, actually felt like a sign of respect and veiled commentary that he might have already been at the helm of a powerhouse but instead moved over to Uconn. Let’s keep the train rolling!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Someone should point out to whoever was quoted inferring the A-10 was a lower conference that the A-10 actually has more NCAA bids than the AAC and the same number of wins since it was formed. The leagues have traded places with each other in the RPI ratings during that time. It is a gross misstatement to call it a lower conference. If anything, the leagues on court performance has pretty much been equal to one another.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When it comes to basketball that is correct.....the AAC does have FBS football though.

So taken as a whole, that comment has some truth to it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Someone should point out to whoever was quoted inferring the A-10 was a lower conference that the A-10 actually has more NCAA bids than the AAC and the same number of wins since it was formed. The leagues have traded places with each other in the RPI ratings during that time. It is a gross misstatement to call it a lower conference. If anything, the leagues on court performance has pretty much been equal to one another.
In totality that is correct, but I think the AAC has gotten a large pass because they just brought in Wichita who should perennially compete for a birth plus down programs with significant upside like UCONN. That "high-end" fire power keeps the AAC more relevant than it deserves. In the last 4 seasons, the best seed out of the A10 has been a 7 seed. The best teams have ranked 36, 31, 34, and 43 (per KenPom). If you look at the AAC, they have 6 times had seeds better than a 7. Their best teams in the last 4 years have ranked 26, 16, 11, and 4 (per KenPom). That does not include Wichita St, who has had team rankings of 21, 8, 13, and 13. Because of that, people have largely ignored the East Carolina's, South Florida's, etc. that also plague the bottom of the AAC and consider it a notch above. Both a pretty equal, maybe the AAC has a little more high-end potential, but top-to-bottom, there is no difference.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's the right take. Top to bottom, pretty equal. Upper tier of AAC, if the programs are firing on all cylinders (Cincy, UConn, Wich State, Memphis, SMU) have more brand recognition and national prominence than the like for like comparison with the A10. Perception is reality, and perceptually AAC is a small notch above bc of the aforementioned programs.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wouldn’t put SMU in that upper tier group for basketball. What have they done on a national basis?
Also Memphis hasn’t been in the Tournament the last four years. They have one Tournament appearance as part of the AAC.
There is obviously justified optimism with Penny as coach.

Btw, UCONN football lost their home opener last night to UCF 56-17 with an announced attendance of 23,000 (a lot of free tickets to youth & HS football teams). Those fans won’t be coming back. More pressure on the AD regarding revenue shortfall.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I wouldn’t put SMU in that upper tier group for basketball. What have they done on a national basis?
In the last 5 years they are 126-43 with 2 tournament appearances, one year they were left out as a Top 25 team, and one year they were banned. Last year they were a bubble team for most of the year and faded late. Both years they made the tournament they were a 6 seed. They have not been an "elite" team because they are not winning tournament games, but they've been a strong AAC team. I would think if you were comparing SMU to A10 teams, you would definitely put them in the top group for what they have done in the last 5 years.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Ok, this is getting redonkuless. Time to move the Hurley tread elsewhere. We are actually bigger than f lessconn as we speak and to have the ex coach tread pop up on top as we try and read about Coach Cox and the men that are going to take us to the next level is well small time and out right embarrassing. Move the f’n tread.

Great fn win by the fball team.

Really excited about Coach COX and team.

Cheers.

GO RHODY!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The hatred does go way back.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I wish they gave the URI player’s name so I could go put flowers on his grave.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

ace wrote: 5 years ago
the_one_mike wrote: 5 years ago

This was tough to read:

Lol @ "was"
They’re anonymous quotes from polled coaches. The question was about best hire, not tell me about the URI basketball program and what you think about Cox. Anonymous coach is not slamming your program. The first answer is he did that there (so yes, past tense) and now he has a new situation.
My comment was to illustrate the poor use of tense in that excerpt, for a program that is, and will continue to trend up in the future. This comment had nothing to do with Hurley, Cox, or what question would illicit that response. It's just reads as an all-too-typical casual write-off of our "lower conference" program.

I could care less who said it, to be honest, and I don't necessarily think they are slamming anyone either... I just thought the language regarding the trajectory of our program was inaccurate and made a comment that was intended mostly as semi-ironic jest. My apologies?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

These videos always crack me up, although I always wonder what number take they’re on by this point..

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Why are we still talking about this guy and his team here? His relevancy should be fading. Should be a boneyard post....just my opinion.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Why are we still talking about this guy and his team here? His relevancy should be fading. Should be a boneyard post....just my opinion.
This thread exists because of you. You complained about Hurley talk leaking into other threads. Hurley’s going to come up. He’s part of the reason banners will be raised at the RC in November and the program Dave’s leading is a good one and is leaps and bounds above what it was in 2012. Suggest the mods move it to the All Other College Sports thread. But, everyone doesn’t necessarily go there, and the talk will show up in other threads and people will be mad all over again. It’s what happens with PC talk, too.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You’re right because we didn’t need the clutter of Dan in an URI message board. This isolates the crap. But who really gives a flying f**k about his team playing catch around the pool. BS is keeping him relevant here, let his name dissipate and when the talk about is absolutely necessary, allow it to be organic. The talk about him at this point really has NO more relevancy. I truly believed this post would’ve been bumped to oblivion by now (the irony, I’m still posting in it, I know). But, I’m curious to see who really cares about stuff like you just posted...

I’ll wait...

Let live and LET DIE, for Pete’s sake!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I only care about when recruits make a decision to play for Dan or choose not to.....and when the season starts how his team does in games.....the extraneous stuff doesn't interest me....

I also want to know if Conn drops football and tries to get back into the new big east....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Plus, it's local and fun to hear about, even if it's only to hear people beyotching about hearing about it, when they're choosing to read it. I'm glad it's here, but will be a lot more interested in it when the season starts.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Isn't that special. Now let's watch some men do it for real on the court during a game....

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago You’re right because we didn’t need the clutter of Dan in an URI message board. This isolates the crap. But who really gives a flying f**k about his team playing catch around the pool. BS is keeping him relevant here, let his name dissipate and when the talk about is absolutely necessary, allow it to be organic. The talk about him at this point really has NO more relevancy. I truly believed this post would’ve been bumped to oblivion by now (the irony, I’m still posting in it, I know). But, I’m curious to see who really cares about stuff like you just posted...

I’ll wait...

Let live and LET DIE, for Pete’s sake!
The video clip went viral and was covered by national basketball writers on twitter. I hope you were able to avoid it everywhere. A unicorn got dunked on. It’s funny. Hurley will be relevant to this program for years to come, whether you like it or not. If you don’t like something, I guess you can ignore it, contact a mod, or complain. You clicked on a post just to get mad. Brace yourself for the season when I know a handful of guys will be running to the UConn message board to bring back any negative quotes about Hurley to share with the group. They’re never going to let this go away. Just so. much. fun. During the season, in addition to the relevant schedule thread, there’s usually a catch-all NCAA thread that won’t have Hurley or UConn in the title. Maybe you could encourage people to post there.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago Isn't that special. Now let's watch some men do it for real on the court during a game....

Great coaching, that ;)
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Can't say I wish him the best. Didn't say it for Skinner, Harrick or Penders either.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

In fairness to Dan vs Penders or Harrick. Those guys flew out of town with the first girl to wink at them. Dan gave us 6 years, and built the best chance at sustainable success we have had in 20+ years. While it’s fair to be a bit bitter or feel jilted, it’s also logical to be grateful and recognize his contribution. I will echo (or paraphrase) the sage opinion of Ramulous, I’ll root for Uconn to be the 2nd best program in New England.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I’d rather have PC be the second best team because they unlike the mighty Huskies actually play us. Not that I dislike Dan but personnelly hope UConn sucks every single year, at least until they get the balls to renew the rivalry.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would like to see DH struggle at UConn even though I think it's a great hire by them and he should get them dancing by year 3

I also think this thread is a great place to discuss all things DH and UConn it sure is interesting to us
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I have to agree with most here, I just can't root for UConn for the most part. I have a good friend that went there and the best I can say is if they do well I'll be happy for him....That's about it. To his credit he didn't want UConn to take Hurley for my sake and also wants the old rivalry to be renewed. I'm grateful for what Hurley built here and hope the foundation is strong enough and Cox becomes our Mark Few.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Donuts90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Donuts90 »

Why the hate for Al? He loved it here and tried to get the necessary upgrades to compete. WHen he was denied he left for greener pastures.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

With apologies to Little Red, I always root for the Storrs Leg-humpers to go 0-30 every year. But when they play that hideous, disgusting institution in the former mental hospital, I root for a double forfeit.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I have been on the record for a long time that I am an Al Skinner fan......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I have been on the record for a long time that I am an Al Skinner fan......
Anyone who is not an Al Skinner fan is weird.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I have been on the record for a long time that I am an Al Skinner fan......
Anyone who is not an Al Skinner fan is weird.
Except for the UMass part, but we forgave him for that :) .....But it was very cool that he played with Dr. J. in college.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It happened after the fact, but Skinner’s efforts at BC ended up being a lot more appreciated after what Donahue did (or, rather, did not do) there in his tenure.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCONN has James Bouknight in for an official visit this weekend. They are expecting to get a commitment from Bouknight soon. Hurley was recruiting him for URI when he was here. Bouknight is going to the URI vs UCONN football game today. They are expecting less than 17,000 fans (stadium holds 40,000). The competition for Bouknight is Miami. He visited Miami last weekend and went to their football game where they get about 60,000 fans. UCONN also have the recruits stay in downtown Hartford 30-40 minutes from campus for their entire visit.

The other recruit they have scheduled for a visit is James Gaffney. He is rated #161. They are still in the running for two top 50 prospects but no visits are scheduled. If he doesn’t get one of them, his recruiting class will be very much on the level of URI’s.