'19 PA C - Ray Somerville (Cal-State Bakersfield)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: '19 PA C - Ray Somerville (Offer)

Unread post by theblueram »

You mean it's not Rider, Stony Brook and URI? lol
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

It looks like his best offers are:
Rhode Island
New Mexico
Loyola Marymoout
LaSalle
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This seems like someone we would take in the spring with an open scholarship with nothing left on the table.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say no to Ray Somerville
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

reef wrote:Just say no to Ray Somerville
If he is replacing Lyssard at the end of the bench then no biggie. But based off nothing but national ratings, I would rather have Mcloud and red shirt him his freshmen year to see if he can develop into a 7-3 impact center.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I would rather have McLeod over Somerville also , I think there is a higher ceiling
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He must be our absolute last resort for a big.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree, I think Rhody staff is holding him off right now.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like he fits in at a low D1 school
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Is Sutton the one who seems to like this guy?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:

Is Sutton the one who seems to like this guy?

Not sure. Sutton is the lead recruiter on Somerville.
I think they have pulled back on him a little. Hence the no official visit.
I know they are trying to get McLeod in for an official visit and they have Diawara coming in for a visit.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody makes another Final list of a targeted recruit.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rhody makes another Final list of a targeted recruit.
Rhody 83-is this a guy that we want to use a scholarship on or are we better to wait a grab a transfer mid season or if someone else comes up? I think Bishop, walker, McLeod and maybe Diawara would be the cut line of guys we have a realistic chance of getting.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not sure. Leave that up to Rhody coaches.

Clearly the top three are Bishop, Walker & Long.
After that seems to be a mix.
I believe McLeod is 4th on the list and the scheduled official visit would support that.
Somerville had a good game head-to-head against McLeod in July.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Somerville official visit Oct 19-21

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/hi ... utType=amp
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Still on, I guess (hadn’t heard anything in a few weeks). Did he go to New Mexico?

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He didn’t go to New Mexico last week. They are still working on a revised date.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Solid kid. Legit 6'9" - at least. Rebounds, blocks shots, runs the floor.
Not a bad player to fill out your roster. Just sayin':

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wow not bad at all.
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

You can’t judge a recruit on a one minute highlight video. You really can’t judge a recruit on any cut up highlight video.
You have to at least see a few full games against good competition.
Somerville played an AAU game against McLeod in July. They went head to head with Rhody coaches watching.
McLeod had the better game of the two. You can watch it on Baller TV.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago You can’t judge a recruit on a one minute highlight video. You really can’t judge a recruit on any cut up highlight video.
You have to at least see a few full games against good competition.
Somerville played an AAU game against McLeod in July. They went head to head with Rhody coaches watching.
McLeod had the better game of the two. You can watch it on Baller TV.
Rhody83-What has changed on your opinion of McLeod, Mading and Somerville? I know a few months back on this thread Andy he one for McLeod that you felt that Somerville was a much better player than both McLeod and Mading. You said at that the time that you were surprised that URI even had interest in McLeod and felt he was a project. I know you watch many of the games in the summer and just wanted to see if you felt something had changed?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The initial McLeod games he didn’t seem to have much energy. He did show energy in the game against Team Final (Somerville) which was the best team he played against. I have warmed up to the potential of McLeod and Mading. 7’3” with skill and 6’10” with a shooting touch and ball handling skills make them both unique. I think McLeod could help defensively next year and both McLeod and Mading could contribute Soph year if they develop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Only want Somerville if we don't get MCLeod

If we have Hammond Long and Mading then in order Walker, MCLeod then Somerville for the last ship
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hope he commits.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Me too! This is one of those situations where URI is like Kansas with Walker where he will sign in a second if we took his commitment. If we miss on McLeod we should wait it out and something better will probably fall are way. How this class is portrayed by most will be if we can close on McLeod. Huge disappointment to get Somerville
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Somerville has a great motor, he's athletic and goes at it hard from what I've seen, according to what I've read he's been blossoming recently, perfect time to get a guy like this. If we miss out on McLeod/Walker I'm good with Somerville, hard worker who is putting the pieces together at the right time to be coached on the next level. It's all just educated guessing on our parts, but we are finally beyond the whole get him just because he is a 6'9" forward thing that developed with the 5 guard philosophy, I would be just alright with Somerville not because he is tall, but because he shows high ceiling potential.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If Somerville is smart, he"ll wait. The Siena's will always be there.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
BleedURIBlue
Jim Eitner

Unread post by BleedURIBlue »

I came here to say that I didn't want him even if we miss on McLeod, but after reading what some of you have to say and seeing flashes of his potential in that quick video, I actually wouldn't mind if we get him.
FattsAndFurious
Steve Chubin

Unread post by FattsAndFurious »

People are way too low on this kid. He only played 4 EYBL games but he was a beast in them. High shooting % and a ton of blocks. He's not 7 feet tall but he's less raw than Mcleod
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

That one video although only a short one was telling to me. Showed his defense, offense, running the floor, and his size which seems to be at least 6'10 235+.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Then where are the offers?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Then where are the offers?
Late bloomer?
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
Late bloomer?
So are Layssard, Tertsea and Preston I guess! At some point we have to sign one of our priority recruits if we want to approach the Gonzaga level that many have thought we can reach. We need to close on McLeod and can’t settle on Somerville. The videos are out there to make everyone look good.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Late bloomer?
So are Layssard, Tertsea and Preston I guess! At some point we have to sign one of our priority recruits if we want to approach the Gonzaga level that many have thought we can reach. We need to close on McLeod and can’t settle on Somerville. The videos are out there to make everyone look good.
Where are McLeod's other offers? He has a soft offer from FSU where it appears he's their 3rd or maybe 4th option.

If you accept that this staff was ahead of the curve in their talent evaluation of Bishop, and especially of Walker, why do you dismiss out of hand their talent evaluation of Somerville?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Late bloomer?
Layssard and Tertsea aren't athletic enough. I still have hope for Tertsea since he really didn't play enough to judge. Its just my opinion but those videos are made to make him look good because he does look good.
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago

Late bloomer?
Where are McLeod's other offers? He has a soft offer from FSU where it appears he's their 3rd or maybe 4th option.

If you accept that this staff was ahead of the curve in their talent evaluation of Bishop, and especially of Walker, why do you dismiss out of hand their talent evaluation of Somerville?
Although both Bishop and especially Walker rose dramatically over the last 3-4 months they were squarely in the top 200. They both had big schoools looking at them and even Mading had both BC and Uconn in to look at him because of his length. There are very low level schools looking at Somerville and he is a rated towards the 400’s. The McLeod question on why he hasn’t had more offers from power 5 schools probably has to do with what Rhody83 mentioned on how he didn’t dominate playing against lower level competition. That is a fair question. I watched them both play and at times McLeod had some issues in some of the summer games also. It looks like Somerville can rebound. I would think they would be better served to hold the scholarship if they miss on McLeod. As mentioned by others there are things that will change and even recruits that back out of commitments or transfers always come about.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I watched Somerville play against McLeod in July. The URI coaches were there watching. Both players knew that. McLeod outplayed Somerville. Somerville is a legit 6’10”.

Somerville would be URI’s third option at the PF position or second/third option at C.

There is a big difference between another offer from Siena (Somerville) and offers from LaSalle and FSU (McLeod).
I wouldn’t underestimate FSU’s interest level. Any place that they go for an official visit should be considered to have a high interest level. Offers are handed out like candy on Halloween.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Crystal ball has Somerville 100% Rhody, maybe get used to the idea he's our guy. Then trust staff to make the pieces fit.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Mading 6'10, Harris 6'10, Somerville/Mcleod 6'10-7' . Me likey.
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago Crystal ball has Somerville 100% Rhody, maybe get used to the idea he's our guy. Then trust staff to make the pieces fit.
That prediction is from June!
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I watched Somerville play against McLeod in July. The URI coaches were there watching. Both players knew that. McLeod outplayed Somerville. Somerville is a legit 6’10”.

Somerville would be URI’s third option at the PF position or second/third option at C.

There is a big difference between another offer from Siena (Somerville) and offers from LaSalle and FSU (McLeod).
I wouldn’t underestimate FSU’s interest level. Any place that they go for an official visit should be considered to have a high interest level. Offers are handed out like candy on Halloween.
Somerville has offers from LaSalle, Loyola Marymount and New Mexico. You omitted those. I'm just saying.

I just don't fully understand why people are dumping all over this kid when very few of us have ever seen him play. Somebody sees something in him.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I think people look at Tersea, Layssard & Preston and are thinking that these guys were all 3 stars and they haven't
been able to get off the bench. They came in with some fan-fare and have not produced or developed. Why should
the coaches be trusted as to their inherent ability to evaluate bigs when they so bad on them. Not saying it's
right but that's the inference on many of the comments on this board and honestly it gives me pause as well.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think people look at Tersea, Layssard & Preston and are thinking that these guys were all 3 stars and they haven't
been able to get off the bench. They came in with some fan-fare and have not produced or developed. Why should
the coaches be trusted as to their inherent ability to evaluate bigs when they so bad on them. Not saying it's
right but that's the inference on many of the comments on this board and honestly it gives me pause as well.
This isn’t the same staff. We have a former NBA coach and a USA Basketball coach. Between the 3 of them, I’m confident they know their sh!t. Cox May have missed on Tertsea, but has swished on all the others.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago I think people look at Tersea, Layssard & Preston and are thinking that these guys were all 3 stars and they haven't
This isn’t the same staff. We have a former NBA coach and a USA Basketball coach. Between the 3 of them, I’m confident they know their sh!t. Cox May have missed on Tertsea, but has swished on all the others.
to add, i dont think anyone on the board threw out that Preston was a 3 star recruit
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago At some point we have to sign one of our priority recruits if we want to approach the Gonzaga level that many have thought we can reach.
Nominee for either short memory post of the year or premature post of the year. Either way, not an award I’d want to win.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago At some point we have to sign one of our priority recruits if we want to approach the Gonzaga level that many have thought we can reach.
Nominee for either short memory post of the year or premature post of the year. Either way, not an award I’d want to win.
Both :)