West Gym will be renovated to become a basketball practice facility

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: West Gym will be renovated to become a basketball practice facility

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

theblueram wrote:Great to see the infrastructure build continue. This should be a great facility when completed. Although, some posters still believe that URI Basketball can never compete because the state of ri is poor. Funny how the campus has grown over the last ten years. $100’s of millions in upgrades and new buildings.
Agreed. Take a drive around campus. Night and Day.
GO RAMS
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

DITTO !.............The alum should feel good about what's going on.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Maybe they were in there plastering the racquetball courts that havent been used since 1978. In all seriousness, not only is that good news, but news that someone down there needs to leak out. Regardless what side of the aisle you are on the other issues, everyone should be on board with this one. Having a major basketball program without a dedicated practice facility and wellness center is the equivalent of purchasing a car without air conditioning; if that is even possible. There should not be a three week lapse of posting on this subject as has been the case. This should be continually discussed and this is where extra donations should be earmarked when the time arrives.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The source is rock solid.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The basement level of Tootel West is scary with the flooding and water seepage issues. I don't know if that can ever be rectified. It's a shame.

I can't wait to see an early design for the new practice center.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Is there a candidate for governor that is better or best for URI the institution and more importantly URI basketball?
Probably best to focus on General Assembly candidates for two reasons. One, they're more powerful than the Governor. Two, it's far easier to influence a General Assembly member than the Governor. Everyone that cares about URI should be making it abundantly clear to their representative that support for URI is a prerequisite for receiving your vote/donation.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

A look at VCU-

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:A look at VCU-

I think the video tour was posted on the Board last year.

“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Wow
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A review of other peer schools practice facilities can be found in a thread here via this link:
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5269

While the dedicated space in the West Gym will be an improvement for URI hoops, it will not not be very comparable to what many other schools already have.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And I still think basketball-only is more important than having all the bells and whistles. There’s always going to be some school that’s better. It’s not ideal when it’s within your own conference, but I think you need to have something that’s just for them.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote:And I still think basketball-only is more important than having all the bells and whistles. There’s always going to be some school that’s better. It’s not ideal when it’s within your own conference, but I think you need to have something that’s just for them.
Yep.

I don't have the income necessary to attend VCU games. Does having a better practice gym mean the Richmond based Rams are going to consistently beat the Kingston RI Rams?

I guess we shall find out. I like where we are at partially because I can afford to go. Selfish me.

Go Rhody!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree with Ace. The functionality and exclusive BB is the important point.
Needs to include:
Practice court (given)
Locker room
Weight/Fitness Room
Training/Rehab Room
Players’ Lounge

A bonus would be dinning but I don’t expect that for Rhody.

You are giving the players their own place to do everything but sleep.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like a couple of the big donors are backing the football team, one million apiece.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want it for hoop not football
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Meade getting lights and turf. Those 2 donors covered almost half of the cost.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sad to say, but the only way a new East stands will be built, will be because of some deep pocketed alums like the 2 that just anted up for the lights and turf.

The state sure won't do it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:Sad to say, but the only way a new East stands will be built, will be because of some deep pocketed alums like the 2 that just anted up for the lights and turf.

The state sure won't do it.
    URI is 92% private. They just use the state for bonds to cover everything.
    Tom98
    Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t put the funds into the stands. Sure having lights and turf is nice but aren’t the stands a higher priority?
    NYGFan_Section208
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Tom98 wrote:I don’t understand why they wouldn’t put the funds into the stands. Sure having lights and turf is nice but aren’t the stands a higher priority?
    You'd have to think stands would be part of the overall package. Would just look totally ridiculous to have a nice field, lights, and rickety stands.
    Rhody Guy
    Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Would need fans to attend before stands are needed :roll:
    Rhodymob05
    Tyson Wheeler

Trust the process , money->improvements->team performance->results->increase attendance ->more money repeat.
    GO RAMS
    rhodylaw
    Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

My only hope is that there is a master plan for the space that includes a rebuild of the stands. Don’t put lights up that you have to take down in a few years! If you want to do it slow, ok, but do it right. And the final product better leave room for expansion.
    PeteRI
    Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We have a football program? Huh ... Learn something new every day
    theblueram
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I remember when I was a freshman in'83 we had a football team. Since then, well not so much.
    ATPTourFan
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ok so let’s get this thread back on topic.

The Football gifts for lights and turf are in their own thread, deservingly so: viewtopic.php?p=373486#p373486
    Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
    Blue Man
    Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Color me crazy, but I'm pumped about this. This money was never going to basketball. It's not like the athletic department got $2M and said - ok thanks we'll go and do what we want. Both donors specified this is what they wanted it for, and that's how it works.

Games under the lights would add a new element to football games, and it's private donor money specifically intended for these purposes.

Assuming that this will be the start of a capital campaign for new stands/stadium (hence the delay until fall of 2020), and they will use this investment to secure additional funds from other donors/the state.
    If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
    josephski
    Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote: Assuming that this will be the start of a capital campaign for new stands/stadium (hence the delay until fall of 2020), and they will use this investment to secure additional funds from other donors/the state.
    According to Shane in the other thread they still need to raise $1 million which is why the tentative date is fall 2020, could be sooner if they raise the money quicker than expected.
    ramster
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar
    Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Ramster,
    What is the point of posting this article without offering comment. It's like throwing a match in a waste basket and yelling fire. This facility will elevate PC's program to elite status if Cooley doesn't already have them there. They play anytime, anywhere against anybody continually bring in excellent players that in most cases, he coaches up. They identified the need for this type of facility and with the cooperation of their administration, alumni both athletic and non-athletic, and their 5 full time development people plus the entire alumni association development staff they were able to pull it off. They are to be commended for completion of this project. Give them their props but now look within to see what we can do to make our 5 million(estimate) dollar wellness center become a reality. As presently constituted, rosters aside, we are at best the fourth best program in New England. Providence is Providence, UCONN has the infrastructure and the "Savior" and BC Basketball and its entire athletic department are making great strides in the ACC. UMASS may be in the rear view mirror, but only slightly behind. We need a cohesive effort by our administration to lobby the legislature for a financial and emotional commitment and for ALL Alumni (that's right even the members of Keaney Blue) to get on board with financial support. Then and only then can a project of this magnitude become a reality. New building construction is not unfamiliar to our campus. New dormitories and academic buildings have been going up regularly over the past few years and the university is the beneficiary of such construction. Now is the time to engage in some meaningful dialogue and try to get this project off the ground.
    RF1
    Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Perhaps if URI hadn't already had to come up with some 36M for the construction of its basketball home (RC) for games, it too would also have a brand new basketball only practice facility. Make no mistake about it - the luxury of not paying a single cent and having the state pay 100% for a total 100M+ remodel of your playing venue (DDC) means your funds can go elsewhere.
    ramster
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago Ramster,
    What is the point of posting this article without offering comment. It's like throwing a match in a waste basket and yelling fire. This facility will elevate PC's program to elite status if Cooley doesn't already have them there. They play anytime, anywhere against anybody continually bring in excellent players that in most cases, he coaches up. They identified the need for this type of facility and with the cooperation of their administration, alumni both athletic and non-athletic, and their 5 full time development people plus the entire alumni association development staff they were able to pull it off. They are to be commended for completion of this project. Give them their props but now look within to see what we can do to make our 5 million(estimate) dollar wellness center become a reality. As presently constituted, rosters aside, we are at best the fourth best program in New England. Providence is Providence, UCONN has the infrastructure and the "Savior" and BC Basketball and its entire athletic department are making great strides in the ACC. UMASS may be in the rear view mirror, but only slightly behind. We need a cohesive effort by our administration to lobby the legislature for a financial and emotional commitment and for ALL Alumni (that's right even the members of Keaney Blue) to get on board with financial support. Then and only then can a project of this magnitude become a reality. New building construction is not unfamiliar to our campus. New dormitories and academic buildings have been going up regularly over the past few years and the university is the beneficiary of such construction. Now is the time to engage in some meaningful dialogue and try to get this project off the ground.
    Dollar,
    It’s just a news story from the Projo. Not everyone on this board is in state or eleven reads the Projo. Some dislike the Projo and refuse to read it.
    People can read it and form their own opinions if they want to or they can even desire to not form an opinion at all.
    Personally I found it interesting that PC was the last BE school to build a Practice Center. And it came about from an Alum that has made a killing in Boston Real Estate.

URI has some very wealthy Alums and some who have made a ton in real estate. URI is encouraging These types of Alumni. The donations to Football were very nice gifts and will hopefully encourage more to come.

Our program is on a good track.
    Obadiah
    Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Whether we like it or not, there is an "arms race" in college athletics and if we aspire to more NCAA tournament appearances in basketball in the future, we eventually have to keep pace with other schools. So it is right to "benchmark" what other schools have done, especially local rivals and other A-10 schools, to get an idea as to what the scope and design of a new URI facility should be and while speed in getting the job done is important, it should not come at the sacrifice of big thinking on such a project.

Also, you have to look at rivals facilities from an admiration of what they accomplished and ways in which we can do even better. PC fans may not like it, but the truth is Boston College has moved way beyond their similarity in the 50's and 60's. This latest BC announcement is just further confirmation of that fact.

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/athlet ... etics.html
    Rhody83
    Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody is going to build a practice facility within the West Gym. The evaluation is completed. The project cost is $5 million. Thorr has commitments for $4 miilion of the 5. They will raise the other $1 million through fundraising.
    ramster
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
    Dollar,
    It’s just a news story from the Projo. Not everyone on this board is in state or eleven reads the Projo. Some dislike the Projo and refuse to read it.
    People can read it and form their own opinions if they want to or they can even desire to not form an opinion at all.
    Personally I found it interesting that PC was the last BE school to build a Practice Center. And it came about from an Alum that has made a killing in Boston Real Estate.

URI has some very wealthy Alums and some who have made a ton in real estate. URI is encouraging These types of Alumni. The donations to Football were very nice gifts and will hopefully encourage more to come.

Our program is on a good track.
    Dollar,
    I’ll also add that PC being the last of the Big East Members to build shows how far behind they were. Couple with Obadiah showing what BC is doing and it shows you should not bury your head in the sand like an ostrich or get mad.
    I was a proponent of the Practice Facility for some time now and caught grief about it. Once it came out that Hurley himself was a proponent then the naysayers slowed down.
    We need to keep up if we are to be a Top 25 caliber team in the long run. In the short run we are ok to knock on the Top 25 door, but not Long term if we don’t keep up.
    Need to have facilities on the level of VCU, Dayton, UMASS, Richmond, if we want to keep up with the upper echelon A10 programs over the long term.
    Or we can make believe it’s not happening and be ostriches.
    RhowdyRam02
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I agree with at least the first sentence of what Cameron said. Why drop in a link without commentary, especially when it's not self evident from the link what the subject matter is and it's not directly related to the subject being discussed?
    Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
    Seawrightspostgame
    Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK why ppl beat the practice facility drum every six weeks when multiple ppl that actually have some insight into the program have said the thing is coming. What else can they do?
    I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
    ramster
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago I agree with at least the first sentence of what Cameron said. Why drop in a link without commentary, especially when it's not self evident from the link what the subject matter is and it's not directly related to the subject being discussed?
    As I said already on answering Dollar, just because it was in the Projo and not everyone gets the Projo. Had no idea it would create such a reaction. I think most posters know where each sits on whether there should be a Practice Facility or not.
    ramster
    Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC was the last of the Big East to build a Practice Facility but it’s a beauty.
    While a root for PC to lose every game in every sport this could be a good nudge for URI to move in a similar direction.
    We need to at minimum catch up with VCU, UMASS, UCONN, George Mason, Dayton, etc
    Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
    Da_Process_Survivor
    Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

getting gift wrapped a $150 million dollar arena at zero cost and zero upkeep cost tends to free up funds
    ---
    He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
    ---
    rjsuperfly66
    Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago
    getting gift wrapped a $150 million dollar arena at zero cost and zero upkeep cost tends to free up funds
    [/quote]

Why doesn't URI play there then and turn the RC into a practice facility? Problem solved :D
    PC is not the only benefactor of the DDC, which tends to get lost in the petty madness.
    When this was all done, PC, P-Bruins, the circus, concerts, wrestling, ice shows, tournaments, comic con, etc all benefited.
    The growth of concerts at football/baseball stadium made it hard to land marquee artists, the circus is no longer in existence, etc., but it was different back then.
    Fact is, PC pays nearly $1 million in rent per season + concessions + the state cleans up on parking + increased pub/restaurant presence on game days.
    Yes, they benefited from the upgrades, but they weren't the only ones and those benefits are open to anyone who chooses to partake in them.
    bigappleram
    Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The circus is gone.
    Providence hasn't had an A-list music artist roll through town in a decade plus. And with the casinos that is never changing.
    Artists will play Mohegan and then do Boston, never stopping in Providence.
    PC (and P-Bruins) were the biggest benefactors of the upgrades, let's not kid ourselves.
    The fact that known PC fans/supporters in Govt likely made the decision makes it all the more an "only in Rhode Island" type of thing.
    RF1
    Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago The circus is gone.
    Providence hasn't had an A-list music artist roll through town in a decade plus. And with the casinos that is never changing.
    PC (and P-Bruins) were the biggest benefactors of the upgrades, let's not kid ourselves.
    The fact that known PC fans/supporters in Govt likely made the decision makes it all the more an "only in Rhode Island" type of thing.
    Exactly correct.

It was no coincidence that the state agency that proposed taking over the DDC and renovating it with 100M+ in state funds was headed by none other than PC cronies David Duffy (PC alum and trustee) and Dave Gavitt (former PC basketball coach and AD) and the RI Senate president at the time (Joe Montalbano) was a longtime Friar fan and season ticket holder. While the P-Bruins also got benefits from this project, they did not have any connections in well placed positions to make it happen. It was Friar basketball that drove the bus on the DDC project. Looks even worse now when the Pawsox struggled to get just 23M in state funding with a commitment to invest some 45M of its own money. Hopefully going forward, the DDC is held to similar standards. I know that at least the politicians from Pawtucket and the Blackstone Valley will be demanding it.
    Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
    bigappleram
    Ernie Calverley

And Providence isn't losing concerts to Fenway or Gillette, there are a very very small numbers of acts that have the drawing power to play those places. Providence was doomed as a concert venue the minute Mohegan happened, and that was a while ago. Anyone that knows that business knew that to be true...concert bookers have a 'proximity' clause in their contracts with an artist, which basically states if I book you at this venue you cannot play another show within 45 miles of the venue (so they can monopolize the market and assure a sell out). That takes Providence out of the picture. Casinos also can pay larger guarantees than traditional concert venues bc they treat music as a loss leader (to attract people to the casino who will then gamble before/after the show) instead of a cash generator like a typical venue.
    RF1
    Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago And Providence isn't losing concerts to Fenway or Gillette, there are a very very small numbers of acts that have the drawing power to play those places. Providence was doomed as a concert venue the minute Mohegan happened, and that was a while ago. Anyone that knows that business knew that to be true...concert bookers have a 'proximity' clause in their contracts with an artist, which basically states if I book you at this venue you cannot play another show within 45 miles of the venue (so they can monopolize the market and assure a sell out). That takes Providence out of the picture. Casinos also can pay larger guarantees than traditional concert venues bc they treat music as a loss leader (to attract people to the casino who will then gamble before/after the show) instead of a cash generator like a typical venue.

The XFinity Center in Mansfield which opened back in 1986 probably hurt the DDC even more than Mohegan Sun. The concert business is totally different these days. Arenas that once did big business with concerts such as the DDC and the DCU Center rarely get them in large numbers now. Most concert tours prefer the outdoor venues.
    Da_Process_Survivor
    Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
    bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago The circus is gone.
    Exactly correct.

It was no coincidence that the state agency that proposed taking over the DDC and renovating it with 100M+ in state funds was headed by none other than PC cronies David Duffy (PC alum and trustee) and Dave Gavitt (former PC basketball coach and AD) and the RI Senate president at the time (Joe Montalbano) was a longtime Friar fan and season ticket holder. While the P-Bruins also got benefits from this project, they did not have any connections in well placed positions to make it happen. It was Friar basketball that drove the bus on the DDC project. Looks even worse now when the Pawsox struggled to get just 23M in state funding with a commitment to invest some 45M of its own money. Hopefully going forward, the DDC is held to similar standards. I know that at least the politicians from Pawtucket and the Blackstone Valley will be demanding it.
    or that the color scheme of red/blue seats and white walls just so happened to change to black seats and gray walls...
    ---
    He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
    ---
    Taylor Swift
    Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
    bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago And Providence isn't losing concerts to Fenway or Gillette, there are a very very small numbers of acts that have the drawing power to play those places. Providence was doomed as a concert venue the minute Mohegan happened, and that was a while ago. Anyone that knows that business knew that to be true...concert bookers have a 'proximity' clause in their contracts with an artist, which basically states if I book you at this venue you cannot play another show within 45 miles of the venue (so they can monopolize the market and assure a sell out). That takes Providence out of the picture. Casinos also can pay larger guarantees than traditional concert venues bc they treat music as a loss leader (to attract people to the casino who will then gamble before/after the show) instead of a cash generator like a typical venue.

The XFinity Center in Mansfield which opened back in 1986 probably hurt the DDC even more than Mohegan Sun. The concert business is totally different these days. Arenas that once did big business with concerts such as the DDC and the DCU Center rarely get them in large numbers now. Most concert tours prefer the outdoor venues.

Agree with both statements 100%!

DDC is also going to get Disney on Ice, which RC and Mohegan Sun cannot accommodate. :lol: :P
    bigappleram
    Ernie Calverley

You know there is nothing more inviting to families and little kids than a fully blacked out arena and Mickey Mouse on ice.
    Obadiah
    Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Large outdoor venues e.g. Gillette, can be used only by performers who can fill the seats, stars like Kenny Chesney, Taylor Swift, etc. Smaller outdoor venues can work for lesser personalities. But outdoor venues are useful only during a small part of year, so it is more important to have indoor venues that range in size to accommodate to a diverse group of performers. For the Providence metro area promoters consider Xfinity, Gillette, Foxwoods, Mohegan Sun and even TD Garden to be in the area and the Dunk and Ryan are in competition with all these venues along with Hartford and Worcester. This is a tough competitive scenario for the Dunk. For example, I saw Elton John at the Dunk in 2013, but in Sir Elton's Farewell tour which began this month, Providence will be bypassed. They will serve Providence via more than one show in Boston.