2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The NCAA won't do anything that might upset the cartel for fear that the cartel will break off and tell the networks, "you want our football? Then make sure you take as much of our basketball as your airtime inventory allows. AND you take our basketball tournament instead of the NCAA's."
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think the "cartel" realizes that if they break off and leave out everyone else, they will kill the golden goose that is the NCAA tournament.

The entire allure of the dance is the Cinderella factor. Take that away, and they will pay big time in the long run.

Football is different than basketball. What works for one doesn't work for the other.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I hear we are opening versus Bryant.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Coach Cox mentioned our schedule, opening against Bryant is right, he also mentioned they are trying to get another game which would possibly be Tulsa, SMU, or another team that escapes me. Solid OOC though.
GO RAMS
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Obadiah wrote:I hear we are opening versus Bryant.
Yes David Cox mentioned that at tonight's event. He also said they have a home game against Stony Brook. Would assume these are the 2 contracts that he talked about at his radio show.

He also mentioned a possible home and home with one of the following three: Tulsa, SMU or Harvard. He did not mention a preference or which was more likely.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's interesting that we're playing Bryant, in the past we wouldn't pay them what they wanted, I wonder how the gap was bridged
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

4Diffs wrote:
Obadiah wrote:I hear we are opening versus Bryant.
Yes David Cox mentioned that at tonight's event. He also said they have a home game against Stony Brook. Would assume these are the 2 contracts that he talked about at his radio show.

He also mentioned a possible home and home with one of the following three: Tulsa, SMU or Harvard. He did not mention a preference or which was more likely.
Tulsa and SMU will have a higher RPI than Harvard and I think will be a better draw than Harvard.
It is going to be difficult to match last year’s attendance on a PC away year (all those 5 game packs) without Alabama and another big draw in addition to Nevada. Hopefully we get Tulsa or SMU at the Ryan Center this year.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like Tulsa was a lot better than SMU they were 12-6 in conf with an 89 RPI don't know what they lost though
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

2018-19 Opponents Regular Season RPI and Record (NCAA Tournament not included) for 2017-18 season play. Keep in mind rosters may be entirely different and last year's performance may not necessarily be a good barometer for all teams.

#17 Nevada 27-7
#27 West Virginia 24-10 (N)
#32 Providence 21-13 (A)
#57 Charleston 24-7 (A)
#208 Stony Brook 12-19
#265 Holy Cross 12-19 (A)
#297 Brown 10-16 (A)
#341 Bryant 3-28

Diamond Head Classic (N) possible opponents
#26 TCU 21-11
#80 Bucknell 25-9
#82 Colorado 17-15
#134 UNLV 20-13
#182 Indiana State 11-18
#212 Hawaii 15-13
#323 Charlotte 5-23

Other possible opponents mentioned in this thread
#89 Tulsa 19-12
#112 SMU 17-16
#117 Harvard 17-13

As a point of reference for comparison to Rhody:
#19 URI 25-7
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So we are at 29 total games so far.....11 OOC plus the 18 conference.....one more out of Tulsa, SMU, or Harvard makes it 30.

Really need that 30th game at home....and if we can get a 31st...home also.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How many games do we get in the Diamond Head Classic?
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Billyboy78 wrote:How many games do we get in the Diamond Head Classic?
Three
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

rambone 78 wrote:So we are at 29 total games so far.....11 OOC plus the 18 conference.....one more out of Tulsa, SMU, or Harvard makes it 30.

Really need that 30th game at home....and if we can get a 31st...home also.

With the only 3 RC OOC games listed as Bryant, Stony, and Nevada plus the 9 A10 games, That puts us at 12 even if they get the 2 more OOC games at home, that will make at total of 14. Ticket reps were selling the plans quoting 15/16 games. Still blows my mind how they can charge 1 set price for an undetermined amt of games.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The NCAA rule is 27 games + one tournament with a max of 31 OR 29 games without a tournament. Then there is an exception for playing an additional game against a Hawaii school if you are playing in a tournament there.

Rhody has 26 games plus Hawaii tournament scheduled (4 away OOC games and 4 home OOC games including WV). They have 29 games in total scheduled. They can only schedule 1 more game to get to max of 27 games plus the Hawaii tournament. They could add another game in Hawaii if the play it against a Hawaii school. They currently have 12 games scheduled at the Ryan Center (3 OOC & 9 A10). That means they can get to a max of 13 games at the Ryan Center. The only way to increase that would be to do something with the Brown or Holy Cross games (delay them or pay them to switch to RC). I honestly don’t think the group in charge of tickets looked into the NCAA rule and URI’s current away comments (along with WV game) to understand there was going to be a big drop off in home games this year. When I talked to them they said the season ticket prices were based on 15/16 games. No way that can happen.

With PC and Brown being away on the same year and adding WV (not playing at the RC), they will have three less games at the RC for 2018-19. It should be 13 home games vs 16 home games. That is a big decrease.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote:The NCAA rule is 27 games + one tournament with a max of 31 OR 29 games without a tournament. Then there is an exception for playing an additional game against a Hawaii school if you are playing in a tournament there.

Rhody has 26 games plus Hawaii tournament scheduled (4 away OOC games and 4 home OOC games including WV). They have 29 games in total scheduled. They can only schedule 1 more game to get to max of 27 games plus the Hawaii tournament. They could add another game in Hawaii if the play it against a Hawaii school. They currently have 12 games scheduled at the Ryan Center (3 OOC & 9 A10). That means they can get to a max of 13 games at the Ryan Center. The only way to increase that would be to do something with the Brown or Holy Cross games (delay them or pay them to switch to RC). I honestly don’t think the group in charge of tickets looked into the NCAA rule and URI’s current away comments (along with WV game) to understand there was going to be a big drop off in home games this year. When I talked to them they said the season ticket prices were based on 15/16 games. No way that can happen.

With PC and Brown being away on the same year and adding WV (not playing at the RC), they will have three less games at the RC for 2018-19. It should be 13 home games vs 16 home games. That is a big decrease.
They increased prices for season tix and are offering what looks like 3 less games, making the increase even greater. The May 1 renewal deadline locks people in 6 months in advance for a product in which they don't really know what they're getting. Can't understand why they don't set price at a per game basis. Pay more/get less - doesnt make sense
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

reckless jake wrote:
Three
If I heard correctly last night, DC said that it might be 4 which I take as meaning we'll play someone else on the way out (or back).
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:The NCAA rule is 27 games + one tournament with a max of 31 OR 29 games without a tournament. Then there is an exception for playing an additional game against a Hawaii school if you are playing in a tournament there.

How does that work if we play Hawaii as one of our 3 tournament games? Do we get the exception for playing Hawaii out there or does it not count because it's part of the tournament?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If you look at your season ticket purchase more as a donation and less as an act of consumerism then you might lose less sleep over the number of games on the schedule. In this way, I view my relationship with URI differently than I do my relationships with the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics. They’re all “sports” but I don’t have the same equity with the professional teams as I do with URI, even though I’m a borderline psycho fan of the pro teams like I am with URI. It’s just a different relationship.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Also it might help if you viewed the increase as being a two step thing instead of one big increase. They didn't increase prices before this past season, which is probably pretty rare coming off of a round of 32 appearance.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote:

Bama might want to catch us while we are young....
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

URI96 wrote:
reckless jake wrote:
Three
If I heard correctly last night, DC said that it might be 4 which I take as meaning we'll play someone else on the way out (or back).

The Diamond Head Classic tournament is 3 games for each team. If URI is playing a 4th game it's outside of the tournament
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote:If you look at your season ticket purchase more as a donation and less as an act of consumerism then you might lose less sleep over the number of games on the schedule. In this way, I view my relationship with URI differently than I do my relationships with the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics. They’re all “sports” but I don’t have the same equity with the professional teams as I do with URI, even though I’m a borderline psycho fan of the pro teams like I am with URI. It’s just a different relationship.
This is true for some and understandable, but I do not view it as a donation. If I wanted to donate I would make a straight donation. For the record I did renew (albeit uncomfortably given the situation) . Just trying to hear a decent reason why they can't charge per game instead of lump sum with an undetermined amt of games.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Probably the weakest OOC schedule at home since when?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:If you look at your season ticket purchase more as a donation and less as an act of consumerism then you might lose less sleep over the number of games on the schedule. In this way, I view my relationship with URI differently than I do my relationships with the Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics. They’re all “sports” but I don’t have the same equity with the professional teams as I do with URI, even though I’m a borderline psycho fan of the pro teams like I am with URI. It’s just a different relationship.
This is true for some and understandable, but I do not view it as a donation. If I wanted to donate I would make a straight donation. For the record I did renew (albeit uncomfortably given the situation) . Just trying to hear a decent reason why they can't charge per game instead of lump sum with an undetermined amt of games.
I really think they (Ticketing) made a mistake. They didn’t factor the # of OOC away games and that we haven’t had a home game at an outside arena. I think there will be an adjustment once the schedule is finalized. Some type of credit or additional tickets.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Plus we had to pay for the WV game. I think if the cost per ticket for season ticket holders is greater than the single game ticket price, there will be some noise.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Brown is 2 home for 1 away. Holy Cross has played at Kingston the last 3 years (never heard of a 3 for 1) and is away this year. URI will have 9 OOC games per year. If you load them with almost all home & home you are going to end up with 5 OOC home games/year. Last year they had 7 home and 2 away. The problem is that PC, Brown & Holy Cross are all away this year. They need to stagger them better. On top of that we have WV at Mohegan.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote:Brown is 2 home for 1 away. Holy Cross has played at Kingston the last 3 years (never heard of a 3 for 1) and is away this year. URI will have 9 OOC games per year. If you load them with almost all home & home you are going to end up with 5 OOC home games/year. Last year they had 7 home and 2 away. The problem is that PC, Brown & Holy Cross are all away this year. They need to stagger them better. On top of that we have WV at Mohegan.

The Brown series is an even home and home series. The only exception was the year Brown visited Kingston as part of the HOF Tournament. The current Holy Cross series is for three games - two at the Ryan Center and one at the DCU Center in Worcester. I believe this is the final season of the three year-three game series. Previous Crusader games in Kingston in the last fifteen years were one time guarantee buy games with no return.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brown wasn't two for one, one year's location got moved for a tournament, but it's still home and home. Holy Cross isn't really a three for one we bought them the first year, then signed a two for one and last year's game was supposed to be in Worcester and this year was supposed to be in Kingston.

Scheduling is hard, and this year it looks our home schedule is going to be a casualty. But I wouldn't hold your breath on a billing adjustment
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram
Frank Keaney

I’m not expecting an adjustment. But my seats better be more than $35 a game for individual tix
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Brown wasn't two for one, one year's location got moved for a tournament, but it's still home and home. Holy Cross isn't really a three for one we bought them the first year, then signed a two for one and last year's game was supposed to be in Worcester and this year was supposed to be in Kingston.

Scheduling is hard, and this year it looks our home schedule is going to be a casualty. But I wouldn't hold your breath on a billing adjustment
We played Brown at the Ryan Center as part of the HOF Tip Off in Nov 2016. I believe that game was part of the season ticket package. So we did play Brown at home the last two years. We need to end the home & home with Brown if it is planned past this year.

It would be reasonable for our OCC to be 6 Home and 3 Away one year then 5 Home and 4 Away the following year. Need some buy games and 2 for 1 agreements. If the program stays at a high level our Home & Home series should be PC, Nevada (or similar mid major), a P5 (like Alabama) and another top mid major (top 3 team in American). Staggering these would give Rhody 2 away games each year. The 3rd away game can be part of 2 for 1s.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Outstanding - long, long overdue.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Does little for our RPI
Slava Ukraini!
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

reckless jake wrote:
steviep123 wrote:That's disappointing.
Yes it is disappointing. The start of the season may be 6 months away but we've got a lot of work to do on the schedule.
Not really. Bama will be taking a step back next year and it will benefit us to wait a season in terms of an RPI boost from that game.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote:Does little for our RPI

If Bryant is anywhere near as bad last year (RPI rank #341 record 3-28), it will have a big effect on the RPI rating and ranking (in a negative way).
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

reckless jake wrote:
URI96 wrote:
reckless jake wrote:
Three

The Diamond Head Classic tournament is 3 games for each team. If URI is playing a 4th game it's outside of the tournament
This is what was meant by on the way out or back.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

At first I thought the game might attract Bryant fans [more $], then you realize their fan base is very small........I do not see a positive in scheduling Bryant.

It must dawn on the administration that expectations must be lower this year. New coach, young team, etc. If the stars become aligned, and we are really competitive in 2018-19, the magic may continue. But that is probably not much more than 50%. There are other regional schools, that are not "buy games" that might be gotten...........Yale, Dartmouth, Northeastern, BC, BU, Fairfield, UVM, Hartford, etc., that will be more helpful in the RPI department.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think BC belongs in your list. They play in the ACC. Local or not, BC probably doesn’t want to play URI and wouldn’t do a home & home.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This could greatly affect one of our games next season.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not happy with the scheduling Bryant come on guys !!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We always open against a team projected to land in the lower quadrant, why not Bryant? I think it's good for local teams to play each other. Brown barely ever sniffs 200 rpi, why Brown and not Bryant? As long as we have enough games in the top two quadrants and we don't lose any 4th quad games we're fine playing Bryant regardless of where they rank. Play them first game get the old feet wet and maybe arouse a little extra local interest in the opener. Also play all three other D1 teams in the state and win all those games then declare ourselves state champs.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:This could greatly affect one of our games next season.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote:
at PC on the 1st
at C of Charleston on the 3rd
quick turnaround
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Running Ram wrote:We always open against a team projected to land in the lower quadrant, why not Bryant? I think it's good for local teams to play each other. Brown barely ever sniffs 200 rpi, why Brown and not Bryant? As long as we have enough games in the top two quadrants and we don't lose any 4th quad games we're fine playing Bryant regardless of where they rank. Play them first game get the old feet wet and maybe arouse a little extra local interest in the opener. Also play all three other D1 teams in the state and win all those games then declare ourselves state champs.
Maybe it will change but Tim O'Shea was a d-bag when it came to scheduling. He wanted the huge payouts that came from buy games, and I don't believe he was going to be willing to give local teams any significant discounts. I'm guessing URI is paying Brown $0 due to the home-and-home nature that has existed between those two teams, and even if they weren't, I've been under the impression that PC pays Brown at a significant discount to host them every season.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:This could greatly affect one of our games next season.
Interesting note on this is that Brown's commitment puts Nevada at 15 scholarship players, 2 players over the NCAA limit. If they lose a couple of players to the NBA draft, then this could work itself out - while weakening their roster for next year. If everyone chooses to return, then they may wind up in the uncomfortable situation of pushing players out due to the scholarship restrictions - though they would return a potential top-10 team next year.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Will this be the first ever non-transfer to contribute for Nevada under Musselman?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

TruePoint wrote:Will this be the first ever non-transfer to contribute for Nevada under Musselman?
Josh Hall started at Nevada and was a big piece off the bench for them this season.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhodyram wrote: at PC on the 1st
at C of Charleston on the 3rd
quick turnaround
I was thinking the same thing. Was surprised by this. Can this be right?
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Will this be the first ever non-transfer to contribute for Nevada under Musselman?
Josh Hall started at Nevada and was a big piece off the bench for them this season.
Fair enough. I guess my point is that this is not their typical personnel attainment model.