The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bwerner10 wrote:does a thread exist on Sutton? First name, link to his bio?
Kevin Sutton. Ast at Pittsburgh last two years.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/coaches. ... ath=mbball
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:
Kevin Sutton. Ast at Pittsburgh last two years. Coached at Washington - was the lead recruiter for Markelle Fultz

I don’t see anything in his bio that says he was at Washington.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Kevin Sutton. Ast at Pittsburgh last two years. Coached at Washington - was the lead recruiter for Markelle Fultz

Sorry, I was wrong. fatigue set in.

He coached at Pitt, GTown, GW, James Madison & ODU.
Prior to college he coached at Montverde Academy.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody83 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Where you think of Coach Raphael Chillious? He was most recently at UConn, prior to that he was at Washington. He is originally from the DC area and started at a prep school (South Kent) before getting into college coaching. He has great experience and could potentially be a great fit as well.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Bos8 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

Where you think of Coach Raphael Chillious? He was most recently at UConn, prior to that he was at Washington. He is originally from the DC area and started at a prep school (South Kent) before getting into college coaching. He has great experience and could potentially be a great fit as well.
With Sutton on board there's no way they can afford Chillious.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Not sure if this has been posted. Interesting interview with Daniel Marshall.
https://performanceptri.com/blog/2018/0 ... ce-at-uri/
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Will be interesting to see what Sutton is going to make here.....I'm guessing it's somewhere north of 200K per year....if so, the 425K assistant budget is a thing of the past. Think we'll be around 500-550K total.

If this is true, then good move on Thorr's part.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

DC_Rams wrote:
Bos8 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
You haven’t heard anything about him being the third assistant though, have you?
Nope, but I'll admit I haven't looked into it. Just wanted to chime in with some background information on the guy. I have no idea what type of relationship (if any) that Coach Cox has with Coach Merkel. Has the Coach Sutton hire been confirmed?
No, but it’s Sutton.
DC, do you have any knowledge of where Bryce Golden might end up ?......I know he has named six schools, but a Pittsburg paper has said Sutton was his primary recruiter.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CTRamfan wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:
Bos8 wrote:
Nope, but I'll admit I haven't looked into it. Just wanted to chime in with some background information on the guy. I have no idea what type of relationship (if any) that Coach Cox has with Coach Merkel. Has the Coach Sutton hire been confirmed?
No, but it’s Sutton.
DC, do you have any knowledge of where Bryce Golden might end up ?......I know he has named six schools, but a Pittsburg paper has said Sutton was his primary recruiter.
Toss up between Cuse and Illinois. Cuse with the slight edge.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

How much do you think East Carolina could pay?

CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

One of the sports news sites said "it was reported that he made $300,000 at UCONN.......NO FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE from me.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Just looked up Dooley’s pay with ECU. He is going to make $900k - $1 million per year for 5 years. I didn’t realize they had the budget. I doubt Chillious is getting the $300k he made at UCONN though.
ECUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ECUfan »

Rhody83 wrote:Just looked up Dooley’s pay with ECU. He is going to make $900k - $1 million per year for 5 years. I didn’t realize they had the budget. I doubt Chillious is getting the $300k he made at UCONN though.
When you guys were interested in Dooley the reporting here was he used that as leverage to get more money out of ECU for things like assistants, travel etc, this is probably some from the fruits of that. Chillious helped get a lot of NBA one and done talent to Washington and was a head coach at South Kent prep school prior to that. No clue why Hurley didn't keep him unless he's implicated in the NCAA violations they accused Ollie of..

We are also still apparently in talks with Steve Demeo who is a JUCO head coach with a 172-25 record and a JUCO national title. He was at Providence for 11 years prior to that. Honestly he and Chillious are the kind of guys that I would have been excited about as our head coaches if we didn't hire Dooley. If he lands him too this will be a pretty incredible staff.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ECUfan wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Just looked up Dooley’s pay with ECU. He is going to make $900k - $1 million per year for 5 years. I didn’t realize they had the budget. I doubt Chillious is getting the $300k he made at UCONN though.
When you guys were interested in Dooley the reporting here was he used that as leverage to get more money out of ECU for things like assistants, travel etc, this is probably some from the fruits of that. Chillious helped get a lot of NBA one and done talent to Washington and was a head coach at South Kent prep school prior to that. No clue why Hurley didn't keep him unless he's implicated in the NCAA violations they accused Ollie of..

We are also still apparently in talks with Steve Demeo who is a JUCO head coach with a 172-25 record and a JUCO national title. He was at Providence for 11 years prior to that. Honestly he and Chillious are the kind of guys that I would have been excited about as our head coaches if we didn't hire Dooley. If he lands him too this will be a pretty incredible staff.

Sounds as if coaching (head and assistant level) at ECU pays much better than at URI. Along with the lower cost of living in Greenville, NC, you can do pretty well working for the Pirates basketball program.

I would have thought that URI in an area with a higher COL that was coming off two straight years with NCAA wins and conference championships, history of participation in ten NCAA tournaments (8-10) which included an Elite-8 and Sweet-16 and fifteen NIT's (14-16) would pay better than a school such as ECU with just two NCAA appearances (no NIT bids) and no post season wins other than in a single year in the CIT (2013). I guess I was wrong.
ECUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ECUfan »

RF1 wrote:
ECUfan wrote:

It sounds as if your assistant coaches salary pool is far above 425k.
I'm not sure what it is now but I know he was asking for more money and got it before he agreed to come here. We were paying Lebo a million dollars a year (stupidly) on a 7 year deal. He actually walked away from 2 million guaranteed he was so over coaching which is probably why we have money to spend free of paying him too. Guess he figured he robbed us enough the last 5 years.

Our base pay for our previous staff was 160k, 145k and 97k on the state database. Not sure if there were other incentives but Dooley gets a little less so I'd guess we had to pay Chillious about 200k or so and maybe have 160k or so for whoever #2 ends up being. I think 210k is about what he made at Washington.
Last edited by ECUfan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ECUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ECUfan »

RF1 wrote: Along with the lower cost of living in Greenville, NC, you can do pretty well working for the Pirates basketball program.

I would have thought that URI in an area with a higher COL that was coming off two straight years with NCAA wins and conference championships, history of participation in ten NCAA tournaments (8-10) which included an Elite-8 and Sweet-16 and fifteen NIT's (14-16) would pay better than a school such as ECU with just two NCAA appearances (no NIT bids) and no post season wins other than in a single year in the CIT (2013). I guess I was wrong.

Along with the lower cost of living and all that, there are literally no expectations here for most coaches. Dooley got screwed by an AD wanting his own guy but Lebo has coached like 20 years and never been to an NCAA, and only 2 NIT's. He got a 7 year, million dollar a year contract extension after a year we had 200+ RPI and all he did was win the crappy CIT at ECU. This is a pretty low pressure job for the pay, I can't think of anyone paying what we do and getting less actual results. We having had a top 215 RPI team in 5 years. If Dooley goes to an NCAA he will probably get a statue.
Last edited by ECUfan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:
ECUfan wrote:

Sounds as if coaching (head and assistant level) at ECU pays much better than at URI. Along with the lower cost of living in Greenville, NC, you can do pretty well working for the Pirates basketball program.

URI was prepared to pay Dooley $1 million/year for 5 years if they wanted him. That is how Dooley got ECU up to $900k - $1 million. URI also paid their top Ast (Cox) $200k last year.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

ECUfan wrote:

ECUfan, you guys are going to have a bright future................ECU is going to see a quality improvement in the AAC. The football side of your revenue stream will grow as the conference gets more exposure. Great universities, all with growth potential.

Thanks for the post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed the future does seem bright with the good hires at ECU

Now beat the UCONN Huskies!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Anybody have any news on when the assistant coaches will be named? Is Sutton definitely on board? Any word on the other assistant position? Its been very quiet on the assistant coach talk this past week
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Sutton is also retweeting about a lot of PA recruits. He must be getting ready for when he gets the job.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gosh you would think it would be announced soon ??
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nope. Often assistants are kept on the down low and hide at the Hampton Inn until state hiring allows official announcements.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TJ has a new twitter account for anyone who wants to follow him.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Tj13
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Nope. Often assistants are kept on the down low and hide at the Hampton Inn until state hiring allows official announcements.
It isn’t the state hiring requirement that has delayed Sutton’s hiring. It is the contract he has with Pitt. He will be hired in 2 1/2 weeks. He will be the lead recruiter for several of players that Rhody has offered in the last two weeks. ;)
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

If I am reading the "tea leaves" correctly, Coach Sutton was hired last July 1st with a one year contract, that will expire at the end of June.
I am guessing that since his contract will not be renewed, Pitt has allowed him to participate in his US Basketball work.
.....It would make sense that he might be quite gun shy after his Pitt experience. From his view, Cox is in untested waters, and there are some risks involved coming to URI.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

CTRamfan wrote:If I am reading the "tea leaves" correctly, Coach Sutton was hired last July 1st with a one year contract, that will expire at the end of June.
I am guessing that since his contract will not be renewed, Pitt has allowed him to participate in his US Basketball work.
.....It would make sense that he might be quite gun shy after his Pitt experience. From his view, Cox is in untested waters, and there are some risks involved coming to URI.
He'll be here- in process of making living arrangements....
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

CTRamfan wrote:If I am reading the "tea leaves" correctly, Coach Sutton was hired last July 1st with a one year contract, that will expire at the end of June.
I think it's the end of May. he's taking a pay cut to come to URI, so financially it made sense for him to finish out his Pitt contract.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I literally hadn't read this thread since the DC press conference (page 7).

What a journey the last 11 pages have been. What a journey.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
I think it's the end of May. he's taking a pay cut to come to URI, so financially it made sense for him to finish out his Pitt contract.
CTRam, I don’t know what you mean by “From his view, Cox is in untested waters, and there are some risks involved coming to URI”. Sutton is out of a job. Virtually every Ast Coaching job comes with a 1 year contract. Cox has a 5 year contract. What are the risk for Sutton coming to URI?

Sutton is coming. Iggy explained the readon for the delay. Sutton’s hiring will be announced between May 25-31.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Per the Radio Show, Cox said #1 Ast is in the fold but he just can’t announce it yet. He said he is experienced and someone he has got advice from his entire career. For the other open Ast spot, he is down to 5 candidates and should hire one within 2 weeks.

This is good news.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah will be interesting to see who he picks for that second spot. I am also interested to see the couple contracts they have out to be signed for games next year. Would have to think a mid major or two. They mentioned that in the radio show.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He also mentioned he wants to maintain a challenging schedule even without the 5 seniors.
Slava Ukraini!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
CTRam, I don’t know what you mean by “From his view, Cox is in untested waters, and there are some risks involved coming to URI”. Sutton is out of a job. Virtually every Ast Coaching job comes with a 1 year contract. Cox has a 5 year contract. What are the risk for Sutton coming to URI?

Sutton is coming. Iggy explained the readon for the delay. Sutton’s hiring will be announced between May 25-31.

I guess I was too subtle........................Sutton will have had to move his family twice in eleven months. Poor guy!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CTRamfan wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: I think it's the end of May. he's taking a pay cut to come to URI, so financially it made sense for him to finish out his Pitt contract.

I guess I was too subtle........................Sutton will have had to move his family twice in eleven months. Poor guy!
Sutton joined Pitt on April 13, 2016. He was at Pitt for two years not one.

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/2016 ... Staff.aspx
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Thanks for the info............I was sure hoping it was Sutton. Trusted "Dre" gave the clue a way back.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't know why 83 hates Iggy so much.......
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That’s great. I wasn’t sure what kind of national attention Coach Cox would get from guys like Rothstein and Goodman, etc.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:
Here's the podcast link:

https://soundcloud.com/compass-media/co ... -david-cox
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Love that he's challenging two of the better players.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Here's someone who has been grooming himself to be a head coach for a while and you can hear the level of stress and commitment it takes to be that in this interview, I can't even imagine who in their right mind ever thought Jerry D could do this job.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

In the Rothstein interview he said Ty was the #2 Assistant and they would be hiring the #3 Assistant shortly. It sounded like Ty has been promoted. It is a little concerning that Cox was overwhelmed for three weeks. Maybe because they were short a recruiter. But he didn’t mention that as the reason.
I felt like he didn’t sound as prepared to be the HC in this interview as much as he has in this other public speaking engagements and interviews. He mentioned Hurley a little too much.
Lastly, no mention of the Alabama return game again during the scheduling discussion.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Rhody83 wrote:In the Rothstein interview he said Ty was the #2 Assistant and they would be hiring the #3 Assistant shortly. It sounded like Ty has been promoted. It is a little concerning that Cox was overwhelmed for three weeks. Maybe because they were short a recruiter. But he didn’t mention that as the reason.
I felt like he didn’t sound as prepared to be the HC in this interview as much as he has in this other public speaking engagements and interviews. He mentioned Hurley a little too much.
Lastly, no mention of the Alabama return game again during the scheduling discussion.

It was announced in a Rothstein tweet that the Alabama return game at the Ryan Center will be pushed back one season. The info is in the schedule thread.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote:In the Rothstein interview he said Ty was the #2 Assistant and they would be hiring the #3 Assistant shortly. It sounded like Ty has been promoted. It is a little concerning that Cox was overwhelmed for three weeks. Maybe because they were short a recruiter. But he didn’t mention that as the reason.
Now, he doesn’t sound prepared because he didn’t say what you wanted to hear? He’s been asked the same questions for the past 2 months and it appears to me he trying to find creative ways to NOT sound like a broken record. I swear people find the dumbest shit to be critical of.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Both Dowtin and especially Russell are completely capable of elite play IMHO.

With those two on this club we have a good head start on another great season.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I really didn’t get from this interview that Cox is overwhelmed. He said the first couple weeks were a whirlwind, but that’s hardly surprising for a first time head coach and doesn’t strike me as being even a little concerning. He also mentioned Hurley when Rothstein asked questions about him, which should hardly be surprising to anyone that has followed Rothstein’s reporting the last several years. Overall, I thought Cox came off more or less like he always does: smart, prepared, engaging and articulate. Didn’t find anything in there to complain about.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not being critical and wasn’t complaining. He did say he was “in a bit of a fog the first 10 days”. I like Coach Cox a lot. I was just making a few observations. I was at his Press Conference and at the End of Year Celebration. His comments seemed different in this interview.