The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Knowing Dooley, I would say no to Rice. They have probably already discussed possible assistants.

700K is close to what I thought he would get, to start.

Am sure there are quite a few incentives attached.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Okay, HC check, salary check.....Any other goodies in the bag????
GO RAMS
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0404ld5s09

Press Release says its a 5-year deal for Cox
His contract is a five-year deal for $700,000 per year.
Time for Mrs. Cox to go shopping.

When will they be moving to EG?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

More of this!

Turn him loose coach!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Well there you go. Poor job insulating us from the risk of this hire. It better work.
Dan Hurley’s buyout and avoiding the bonus to Cox cover two of those years. Relax.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Well there you go. Poor job insulating us from the risk of this hire. It better work.
Dan Hurley’s buyout and avoiding the bonus to Cox cover two of those years. Relax.
That money should be going toward the necessary improvements in travel and the practice facility.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't concern myself with any reference to Tomlin.....good grief.

And there will likely be a buyout too, for anyone who is worried about that. It's what is done nowadays.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
That money should be going toward the necessary improvements in travel and the practice facility.
considering they found the cash for both of those as well as $2 mill a year for Hurley, I'd say your chicken little fears are unfounded.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I would say it will be barring a catastrophe anyways.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
They also have $850,000 per year for the next 5 years from their tournament games.
Would you have been ok with Dooley for five years?
What did you expect - 4 years is a minimum. You are complaining over $700,000.
The coaches want five years so they can recruit players and tell them they will be there.
Relax and Think Big! We Do
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Press conference Friday at 11:00 am.
Just like 78 predicted.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

gorhody wrote:Tomlin and Cox both went to William and Mary... maybe thats why he made the comparison? Grasping at straws here.
They both went there and actually know each other well.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

New coach check, recruiting class + current players likely staying check, now fill that last scholarship with a grad transfer and let's get some new uniforms that don't have horns on the shorts looking like a Fannie pack
Clapton is God
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Now that this is out two things i have heard recently that are worth repeating...

1.) Direct from current players on our team the word was Cox is the glue, multiple guys came here to play for him as much as Dan.

2.) Despite the above, there is still an expectation of 1-2 defections. Whether its recruits or current players I am not sure, but have heard that we will not 100% retain all talent even with Cox hire.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RamIt! wrote:
giovanni wrote:No idea if a Mike Rice would ever be considered as an assistant, but despite his past issues the man is a very good basketball mind with experience.
Hopefully he's taken some anger management classes since.
Believe it or not there are quite a few guys in the coaching profession that have done worse and survived, just not reported. Many coaches may be very compassionate, but not necessarily proper in everything they do. I am not defending any type of bad behavior by any coach, but just stating facts. Its not CYO here
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote:
2.) Despite the above, there is still an expectation of 1-2 defections. Whether its recruits or current players I am not sure, but have heard that we will not 100% retain all talent even with Cox hire.
That seems strange -- You would think that if people were to defect, they would have done so already (similar to someone like Akinjo at UCONN who did not wait to see who was hired before decommiting). If someone happened to be already unhappy with the program to that point that continuity with Cox would not change that, what would change with someone Dooley for example? "Oh by the way, you can play 40 minutes per game because we have 3 scholarship players"?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Time to get this show on the road. Spring signing is a week away!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
considering they found the cash for both of those as well as $2 mill a year for Hurley, I'd say your chicken little fears are unfounded.
Considering that Thorr hasn't committed to that being true for coaches other than Hurley when asked the question directly, I'd say the concern is very much founded.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

bigappleram wrote:Now that this is out two things i have heard recently that are worth repeating...

1.) Direct from current players on our team the word was Cox is the glue, multiple guys came here to play for him as much as Dan.

Hope no one leaves at all, but especially UCONN. I could never blame a kid who grows a feeling for a coach, not so much a school who changes his mind. Recruiting is basically about relationships. Facilities to a degree , certainly other intangibles. Hopefully Danny isn't getting in anyones ear, but I doubt that is true. IMO he is or has never been a moralistic guy like the GOD he is portrayed as here. Actually the total opposite.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
They also have $850,000 per year for the next 5 years from their tournament games.
Would you have been ok with Dooley for five years?
What did you expect - 4 years is a minimum. You are complaining over $700,000.
The coaches want five years so they can recruit players and tell them they will be there.
Relax and Think Big! We Do
I laid out how the contract should have been structured where we could have minimized our risk and Cox could have recruited players and told them he'd be here.

And I'd say we're arguing over $1.4 million. If Cox can't get this team into the tournament in 3 years he should be let go. We hired him because he brought a loaded roster as a hiring chip. Well he needs to win, win big, and win fast. No excuses.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:
That seems strange -- You would think that if people were to defect, they would have done so already (similar to someone like Akinjo at UCONN who did not wait to see who was hired before decommiting). If someone happened to be already unhappy with the program to that point that continuity with Cox would not change that, what would change with someone Dooley for example? "Oh by the way, you can play 40 minutes per game because we have 3 scholarship players"?
Yeah I'm not following this either. Not saying there's no truth to it, I'm just saying it seems odd for the reasons you mentioned. If players were planning on leaving, they would have already left. What's the benefit of waiting until the new head coach is announced?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we lose a recruit I'm guessing it's Adams....haven't heard a peep from him.

We also might lose a current player to transfer such as Mike L or T......
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote:Now that this is out two things i have heard recently that are worth repeating...

I presume Tate, Harris and Martin will be coming. I really hope Adams will too. Weren’t Fatts and Dowtin both Cox recruits?
Slava Ukraini!
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Rhody83 wrote:Making another donation to the basketball program once this is officially announced by Thorr to thank him for doing the right thing.

For those who made the symbolic $20.18 contribution last month, maybe you can make a $20.19 contribtion after the press conference to show we support David Cox. Just a thought.
I'm in for a $20.19 donation after Thorr makes it official. I am actually going to save money because I was set to donate $200.19 if they went with a Pitino type hire! Win win for me & Rhody today!!!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What is your source? To not know if the supposed defections are recruits or existing players seems sketchy.
If a player was going to ask out of their NLOI or transfer, it would be in their best interest to do it immediately (as soon as Dan left). Schools have limited scholarships and have been out making offers and getting commitments the last two weeks. Since you are saying they were leaving no matter who replaced Dan, why would they wait to announce that and hurt themselves.

It doesn’t make sense. The only players who are in the “talent” category that have not come out publicly in support of Cox are Fatts and Adams. If you are talking about bench players, that is a whole different story.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:2.) Despite the above, there is still an expectation of 1-2 defections. Whether its recruits or current players I am not sure, but have heard that we will not 100% retain all talent even with Cox hire.
Whoever it is, doubtful it will be this guy:

or this guy

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

GansettRam74 wrote:I'm in for a $20.19 donation after Thorr makes it official. I am actually going to save money because I was set to donate $200.19 if they went with a Pitino type hire! Win win for me & Rhody today!!!
It's already official, and send in the $200.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote:

I presume Tate, Harris and Martin will be coming. I really hope Adams will too. Weren’t Fatts and Dowtin both Cox recruits?
New thread? "Importance ranking of players that might defect"
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with the sentiment that it would be weird at this point to lose any of the Core 3 - Cyril, Jeff and Fatts. Or the 3 recruits who were loud about wanting to play for Cox. But that still leaves a bunch of other guys. I don't reveal sources, or well ya know those sources dry up, but I almost never post intel unless its from trusted source (see Baron firing, Cyril having a hernia, etc). As I said this person did not infer whether it was a recruit or current player.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

GansettRam74 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Making another donation to the basketball program once this is officially announced by Thorr to thank him for doing the right thing.

For those who made the symbolic $20.18 contribution last month, maybe you can make a $20.19 contribtion after the press conference to show we support David Cox. Just a thought.
I'm in for a $20.19 donation after Thorr makes it official. I am actually going to save money because I was set to donate $200.19 if they went with a Pitino type hire! Win win for me & Rhody today!!!
Put the $180 aside and donate it when they make the Tournament. :D
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: I laid out how the contract should have been structured where we could have minimized our risk and Cox could have recruited players and told them he'd be here.

And I'd say we're arguing over $1.4 million. If Cox can't get this team into the tournament in 3 years he should be let go. We hired him because he brought a loaded roster as a hiring chip. Well he needs to win, win big, and win fast. No excuses.
Isn't really 5 years kind of the minimum you'd want a coach to have though in order to make that promise to recruits? It covers the current year and then the 4 years that the recruit would be on the team.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think any of the guys that didn't play this year and rode the bench are candidates. Then Adams.

He doesn't seem SO keen on the Keaney Blue.

I wouldn't mind and would even prefer if everyone stayed. I like guys to stay and get better. Graduate. Enjoy their time here.

WHO ARE THE ASSISTANTS! :o :shock: :? 8-) :o :oops: :x :lol: 8-) :ugeek: :geek: :?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote:Agree with the sentiment that it would be weird at this point to lose any of the Core 3 - Cyril, Jeff and Fatts. Or the 3 recruits who were loud about wanting to play for Cox. But that still leaves a bunch of other guys. I don't reveal sources, or well ya know those sources dry up, but I almost never post intel unless its from trusted source (see Baron firing, Cyril having a hernia, etc). As I said this person did not infer whether it was a recruit or current player.
Seems doubtful it's a recruit.
He had a hand in Adams, Martin and Harris. Yet Tate has pledged allegiance with Martin and Harris.
If Adams was recruited by him then it would be odd for him to back out now.

You would think it would be Tertsea, but Cox recruited him.

Hard to guess who.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wouldn't think Christion would be one either after sitting out this year. He would lose a year of eligibility, I believe. Plus he 'liked' the tweets from the recruits about Coach Cox.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RamIt! wrote:
giovanni wrote:No idea if a Mike Rice would ever be considered as an assistant, but despite his past issues the man is a very good basketball mind with experience.
Hopefully he's taken some anger management classes since.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Mike Sr., who coached Duquesne in the early 80s, was a lunatic in the sidelines. He made the 2013 version of Dan Hurley look like Gandhi.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodymob05 wrote:COX "your COACH in the digital age"

HAHAHA! That is priceless. Thanks for choosing Cox (Communications).
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhody83 wrote:

What is your source? To not know if the supposed defections are recruits or existing players seems sketchy.
If a player was going to ask out of their NLOI or transfer, it would be in their best interest to do it immediately (as soon as Dan left). Schools have limited scholarships and have been out making offers and getting commitments the last two weeks. Since you are saying they were leaving no matter who replaced Dan, why would they wait to announce that and hurt themselves.

It doesn’t make sense. The only players who are in the “talent” category that have not come out publicly in support of Cox are Fatts and Adams. If you are talking about bench players, that is a whole different story.
I'm kind of nervous about Fatts. The fact him and Hurley were really close plus he has three years of eligibility left definitely worries me.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Considering that Thorr hasn't committed to that being true for coaches other than Hurley when asked the question directly, I'd say the concern is very much founded.
...we didn't have the resources to do so until now.

That's like someone talking about buying a house at 30 but someone else saying they're full of shit because they didn't buy a house when they were 23.

We didn't have the money to buy out Jim Baron - where the hell were we going to find practice facility money? We had to cut swimming, diving, and gymnastics as sports - but you think we had money for charter flights?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

bigappleram wrote:Agree with the sentiment that it would be weird at this point to lose any of the Core 3 - Cyril, Jeff and Fatts. Or the 3 recruits who were loud about wanting to play for Cox. But that still leaves a bunch of other guys. I don't reveal sources, or well ya know those sources dry up, but I almost never post intel unless its from trusted source (see Baron firing, Cyril having a hernia, etc). As I said this person did not infer whether it was a recruit or current player.
Fair enough on source disclosure. But you said “talent” and then just excluded 6 out of 8 talented players. Thompson has already tweeted his support after Cox was named (see tweet above). That only leaves Adams who was recruited by Cox. You also said 1-2 players. That insinuates two have been mentioned to your source but there is only one left. Most of all it doesn’t make sense for a top player to delay their announcement (unless they are going to UCONN). I don’t think Hurley would take a player now that Cox has been named HC.
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote:Press conference Friday at 11:00 am.
Just like 78 predicted.

I anticipate this would be open to the public, correct?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thompson isn’t in a position to transfer and lose another year plus he seems happy in his latest tweet. So if anyone leaves it would probably be from the two Mikes, Preston or Akele.
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

josephski wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

I'm kind of nervous about Fatts. The fact him and Hurley were really close plus he has three years of eligibility left definitely worries me.
That was my thought too. But I'm not sure Dan would do that to David after campaigning for David to get the job.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:
bigappleram wrote:2.) Despite the above, there is still an expectation of 1-2 defections. Whether its recruits or current players I am not sure, but have heard that we will not 100% retain all talent even with Cox hire.

or this guy

Or Langevine considering he jumped in on the video with Tate and watched him play this weekend. They were talking about how they were boys and how they couldn't wait to play together.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Press conference Friday at 11:00 am.
Just like 78 predicted.

I anticipate this would be open to the public, correct?
Will this be streamed?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's not Cyril either....he's with Tate all the way.....

Fatts not sure........we can't afford to lose him and Adams.....
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

or this guy

Or Langevine considering he jumped in on the video with Tate and watched him play this weekend. They were talking about how they were boys and how they couldn't wait to play together.
That is 80% of a starting lineup right there