The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by jcru »

I'm pretty sure #1 and #2 are self explanatory.

No guarantees on #3, I assume he'd just go the way of Harrick after he was done here. Were we on probation at all? I honestly don't remember, but if we were it was very minor, like one year of decreased recruiting expense or something. Hardly worth a mention.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Pretty sure we lost a scholarship for a couple of years.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That was it. Thank you.

I thought it was worth it, but some people may not.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The golocalprov sports guys are pc fans that hate uri. they are not real journalists.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

TruePoint wrote:
lol

This is not a credible report. Hell, for all I know it's legit, but there is no byline on the story and no source cited so I'm going to go with "click bait."
Right now I am deeply in self-loathing for having taken the bait.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I also think he is probably a better coach then Hurley.
Hey, TP. Does this phrase pass your "uninformed" and "nonsensical" test? I need a clarification here.

Cox is a better coach than Hurley. ?
People that are here in good times and bad have earned the right to have opinions - conventional or outside the box. Doesnt mean every one of them is going to get a co-sign from everyone else here all the time. Diversity of opinion is welcome and good.

There is a credibility gap when you (a) just pop in from nowhere and (b) lecture people who are in the weeds with this program about how they are naive sheep. There is no requirement for uniformity of opinion, and the more sane you've shown yourself to be over a long period of time, the more likely it is that you can throw a curveball of a take - especially if you do it in a thoughtful, nonconfrontational way.

Also, I'm not 100% sure I'd co-sign this take, but it is at least defensible based on the trajectory of Hurley's teams and his Xs and Os acumen based on when Cox joined the staff. There are a lot of other factors that go into it, but as someone that strongly believes Bill Parcells is complete fraud who is in the Hall of Fame because he had Belichick on his staff in New York, it isn't crazy outlandish to me that someone could come to that conclusion.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

jcru wrote:I'm pretty sure #1 and #2 are self explanatory.

No guarantees on #3, I assume he'd just go the way of Harrick after he was done here. Were we on probation at all? I honestly don't remember, but if we were it was very minor, like one year of decreased recruiting expense or something. Hardly worth a mention.

Nope, please explain how exactly that works. Where are these players coming from at this point in the recruiting season. Why would people come to the Ryan Center because he was coach?

“Oh did you hear Pitino is the new coach st URI? We should go down there to watch him coach!” - would be said by nobody
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LOL...here's my best shot...

The name is an attraction. People keep talking about the Hurley name, and expect that Dan's name will help him get a good class to UConn, the Pitino name is still a few notches above the (Dan) Hurley name. NC's, Pitino > Hurley. Not sure "how great" of a freshman class he would bring in, but would wager it would be at least as good as what we have coming in now.

The Ry would be full, because Pitino is the coach. No other individual in the past few years has, or would have more drawing power here.
Maybe that doesn't guarantee sellouts, but no other name would bring the program closer to that.

Compliance...seems this would be the safest time to hire him. No one would be more followed, nor have every move more scrutinized. Combine that with a guy who loves and misses what he does, and wants to restore his rep... voila ==> winning time.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

jcru wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:I also think he is probably a better coach then Hurley.
Hey, TP. Does this phrase pass your "uninformed" and "nonsensical" test? I need a clarification here.

Cox is a better coach than Hurley. ?
Perhaps uniformed - but I was thoroughly unimpressed with DH the coach. Great motivator, great leader, very vanilla coach. I think there are tons of better coaches out there than Hurley. He was the guy we needed to push the program forward. His time is over. Is it coincidence that things improved on the court when Cox came on board?
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Nah I’d trust Thorr to control little Rickey. You could hire a team of compliance people to watch him with a big fire for cause in the contract and a massive leave buyout.

The Ryan center would be full for UNH never mind a real team.

Why can’t you ask the NCAA if they would discourage this hire.

The question is the negative feedback I think it would last a week. Slick Rick can sell. It would be Dan who quite quick?

GO RHODY!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ATP, that sounds like a very insulated type of opinion. Like someone who doesn't leave the campus. Pitino is what he is. You take the good with the bad. The good is a monsoon of publicity from all angles, which you can parlay into #1 and #2 that you have listed above.

TP, when I was going to leave, you were asking me to stay. Now you claim I don't have a right to an opinion because of some sort of seniority or longevity basis. Yet, in the George Mason game throwback post from three years ago, quantity wise, I had more posts in that thing than any other poster here. So, that argument doesn't jive.

I think what you are really driving at is that I don't have a right to an opinion that differs in any way, shape, or form, from your opinion or what you perceive to be the consensus of this message board.

Variety is the spice of life, you do realize that.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

There are certainly questions on how Rick would leave this program. Attendance would be record setting. RI loves bad boys.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

In the end if Pitino is out of consideration Louisville having to vacate the 2013 National Title is a huge thing for Dooley to ignore.

I believe a Pitino/ARD or Preston Murphy tandem would work. We’d be a top 10 club on January 1, 2019 and the number one story in the country. Not a doubt in my mind.
As I said in my earlier post discussing Pitino last week it would set the entire athletic department up for 20 years with the cash we would make. Just check who the richest program in the country is...

I admit tho that the vacated title would weigh heavy on my mind. Calipari overcame the uMass final four vacated but it took time. Rick doesn’t have that time.

Dooley in other words apparently wouldn’t sell his soul for glory like we did in hiring Harrick.

But it ain’t over yet....

Let’s go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jersey Joe »

story that was linked is not exactly true, but not false either. here's what happened as told to me by a very valid source in the industry: piton's new agent is Jordan Bazant who, as you know, is Dan Hurley's agent. Your AD has an existing, working relationship with Bazant. Bazant needs to make some noise for his new client so he asks your AD about his interest level in hiring him. He tells your AD there's no threat of federal charges, no NCAA violations, nothing that would preclude the hiring. He tells your AD they can include termination clauses with no financial penalty if Pitino is charged with an old crime while your coach. They talk financial terms, come to what they both see as parameters of a deal. Bazant brings it to Pitino, proves his worth as the newly hired agent. Your AD brings it to the school Prez proving he's chasing the best available coach on the market. Your Prez shoots it down. Your AD calls Bazant and says no go. Pitino has to counter with a "no interest" when in reality he would have walked to Rhode Island for this gig.

I'm impressed with your AD, the guy is pretty fierce. Wanna question Piton's character, yeah sure. Wanna question the popular thought he most likely cheated in recruiting too, yeah sure. But your AD isn't the moral police. That's the president's job. AD is identifying coaches available. Great job by yours.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

brady1 wrote:Nah I’d trust Thorr to control little Rickey. You could hire a team of compliance people to watch him with a big fire for cause in the contract and a massive leave buyout.

The Ryan center would be full for UNH never mind a real team.

Why can’t you ask the NCAA if they would discourage this hire.

The question is the negative feedback I think it would last a week. Slick Rick can sell. It would be Dan who quite quick?

GO RHODY!
The NCAA isn’t going to respond to that question. They would have a lawsuit from Pitino in one minute if they did and Pitino would win that lawsuit.
“We will be good when we are good.”
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Dr Nitwit ll coming to a theater near you.

GO RHODY!
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

jersey Joe wrote:story that was linked is not exactly true, but not false either. here's what happened as told to me by a very valid source in the industry: piton's new agent is Jordan Bazant who, as you know, is Dan Hurley's agent. Your AD has an existing, working relationship with Bazant. Bazant needs to make some noise for his new client so he asks your AD about his interest level in hiring him. He tells your AD there's no threat of federal charges, no NCAA violations, nothing that would preclude the hiring. He tells your AD they can include termination clauses with no financial penalty if Pitino is charged with an old crime while your coach. They talk financial terms, come to what they both see as parameters of a deal. Bazant brings it to Pitino, proves his worth as the newly hired agent. Your AD brings it to the school Prez proving he's chasing the best available coach on the market. Your Prez shoots it down. Your AD calls Bazant and says no go. Pitino has to counter with a "no interest" when in reality he would have walked to Rhode Island for this gig.

I'm impressed with your AD, the guy is pretty fierce. Wanna question Piton's character, yeah sure. Wanna question the popular thought he most likely cheated in recruiting too, yeah sure. But your AD isn't the moral police. That's the president's job. AD is identifying coaches available. Great job by yours.
Very believable!
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Not that it matters, because he isn't getting the job - but what in Rick Pitino's history has shown that he would be compliant with NCAA rules if he were hired here? This is a guy who was directly named as violating NCAA regulation for the first time in 1977 - during which he did the same song and dance that he is doing now (I did nothing wrong, it's everyone but me).

And can someone explain to me how he is going to throw together a national top 25 recruiting class when he's been off of the recruiting trail for almost a year and is being left with a limited number of recruiting options?

I want my favorite basketball team to be successful as much as anyone else here, but I'm not willing to make a deal with the devil to make it happen.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's not happening people. Dooley shot it down. This isn't news.

I have a very hard time thinking that Thorr pushed a Pitino hire in the first place.

This board has gone nutso....it's been too long a wait. it's almost over.

My only take on the interviews....if Cox has been the guy all along....why conduct interviews at all?

Look what Xavier did...no interviews as far as I know.....is Thorr and Dooley not quite sold on Cox? Insecure with the choice?

Or is this just a dog and pony show....again if Cox is the choice why piss off the recruits....just do it and get it over with.

The 3 candidates mentioned don't move the needle at all imo....do we want to basically start over again like when Hurley started, with no roster to speak of and no guarantee that we'll land the type of recruits again, that are waiting to come here?

The ONLY thing about Pitino that might work...is that the guy would probably retire and not go anywhere else, after say 4-5 years here.

Yeah we might have a return to glory, but at what price?

Of course, there are many that would trade future NCAA trouble with a FF or 2.....
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Or:

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

These Jersey Joe posts are like mana from heaven. It's been a long time since we have such an insider's perspective, very interesting.

I like what I hear about Thorr too, seems consistent with just about everything I've ever heard about him, going back to when he was at UMass.

This just in: not buying the Koch tweet at all, that's called getting scooped... by Jersey Joe
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Jcru, I’m not on campus. Wrong again.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

This is getting crazy. Is it Wednesday yet? Please don’t make us wait until Thursday.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That Pitino story is complete and utter BS. If it were true, the first people to get the story wouldn’t be those tabloid writers at Golocal...be smart people.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It was a figure of speech
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I love the mad scramble now to shoot down JJ's post.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! You didn't see him!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The deal with Rick Pitino, he is an incredibly talented college basketball coach. He motivates, teaches, game plans, makes adjustments, adapts to rule changes, and utilizes his players better than 98% of his peers. He took a slightly talented PC team to the final four back when the top college basketball teams were great. He has won big time when he has the players. I am not sure that I would want him at URI because of his scandals, but another part of me thinks that if we need dedicated practice facilities, chartered flights, etc., and we are pampering players better than the professional athletes have been treated in the not so distant past, we might have already lost the plot.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I don’t think Pitino as HC would piss off any recruits. Anyone else tho other than Cox likely would.

I trust Dooley and Thorr to make the best choice. Unless there is another crazy surprise (possible) it should be Cox.

All I ask Cox to do is turn Fatts loose. I still haven’t had a single reply here as to what his coaching philosophy is.

Home of fast break basketball = Kingston, RI

That’s all I ask.

Let’s Go Rhody!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

At least we finally got some excitement. This was the most mundane URI coaching search I can remember. I’m ok with Thorr’s pick whomever that is.

GO RHODY!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

jcru wrote:These Jersey Joe posts are like mana from heaven. It's been a long time since we have such an insider's perspective, very interesting.

I like what I hear about Thorr too, seems consistent with just about everything I've ever heard about him, going back to when he was at UMass.

This just in: not buying the Koch tweet at all, that's called getting scooped... by Jersey Joe
You are wild. According to you Koch and Thorr are full of shit and Jersey Joe is the credible source.

Also, explain your knowledge of Thorr at UMass. I know Thorr from UMass. A very good friend of mine worked with Thorr at UMass for several years.
Last edited by Rhody83 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's wacko city now.

Everybody thinks they know what's going on.

In reality, NO ONE knows what's going on except the principles in the matter.

Even my source doesn't know.

The lid's on real tight.

I will say...if Cox doesn't get the job I will be shocked.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not that familiar with the golocal...the only other thing I've seen referenced here is that they got Hurley to UConn before it was public. OK, maybe they weren't 'first', but guess it turned out to be accurate. Does anyone have examples of where they 'broke' stories about URI that turned out not to be true? Just wondering what's their track record.

I can see it playing out exactly like they (and JJ) described it... am still holding out last hopes that Dooley comes to his senses...right up until he doesn't.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I um, I heard good things when he was the associate AD at UMass the year before he was hired here, by the typical sources... newspaper articles, etc

I feel like I have the spanish inquisition heat lamp aimed at my head right now. Anyone else want to tag in?

Imagine if I had said I heard some really bad things about Bjorn
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

DeanDome88 wrote:The deal with Rick Pitino, he is an incredibly talented college basketball coach. He motivates, teaches, game plans, makes adjustments, adapts to rule changes, and utilizes his players better than 98% of his peers. He took a slightly talented PC team to the final four back when the top college basketball teams were great. He has won big time when he has the players. I am not sure that I would want him at URI because of his scandals, but another part of me thinks that if we need dedicated practice facilities, chartered flights, etc., and we are pampering players better than the professional athletes have been treated in the not so distant past, we might have already lost the plot.
The duality of it all.

GO RHODY!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Both what Jersey Joe said and Thorr's comments could technically be true. Thorr says he had no contact with Pitino, Joe says Thorr talked to Pitino's agent to do his due diligence. Those are two different things.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So “industry sources” phone into the credible folks down at golocal to break Pitino news huh fellas? Cmon. Jersey Joe doesn’t know shit. Just another message board poster claiming to be “somebody” in the know.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Me right now

"Is it safe?"
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I love how JJ scooped them though, minutes before the SWAT team could come in and defuse it.

It's the little things, truly...
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

jcru wrote:These Jersey Joe posts are like mana from heaven. It's been a long time since we have such an insider's perspective, very interesting.

You're so full of crap
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

last week a high major coach who doesn't feel the love anymore from his administration as his program has gone a bit stale (but still makes the NCAA every year) had his agent reach out to Rhode Island. smart idea by this coach to stay ahead of the curve and possibly land at a place where he can win right away. agent was told "no thanks". kind of surprising considering this coach's rep, accomplishments, cleanliness, that he wasn't even considered. this told me 100%. that D Cox was gonna be the coach. if the job were truly "open" there's no way your AD doesn't look at this particular coach. so there's been some oddness to it from my perspective. Becker and Dooley? cmon. no chance
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Oh good. The inability to differentiate between real reporting and fake news has permeated sports.

We are in steep decline.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Iggy, I'm not a source like you.

JJ's post rings true, sorry. It's a 9.5 on a scale of believable.
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

some of you guys are such d1cks lolololol. DC Ram, there's no way you're over 25 years old, your posts are non starters every single time, no insight, no new perspective, just cookie cutter BS. go back to sleep bro and call me in 5 years when you turn 30
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Another PC fan joining the board to stir things up
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jersey Joe wrote:some of you guys are such d1cks lolololol. DC Ram, there's no way you're over 25 years old, your posts are non starters every single time, no insight, no new perspective, just cookie cutter BS. go back to sleep bro and call me in 5 years when you turn 30
Clever. Did you write that by yourself? People are supposed to believe you’re credible because you say so? Gtfoh, trolling the internet for friends isn’t your forte, clown.
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

IGGY!!!!!! omg YOU'RE the douche who attacked me 6 years ago on here when I joined when Danny got hired hahahahahaha. I couldn't remember the name for the life of me until just now hahaha. back to attacking me again this is classic stuff. i remember back 6 years ago after our exchange I got an email, not even a private message but an email from a guy who told me how much he despised you. I gotta find that email from 6 years ago lol.

Iggy, what do you have??? anything at all to share? or just spew?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Honestly, I don't know what to believe anymore. I've been at this for over 20 years now, and really, none of these stories surprise me.

Taylor Swift basically said at her birthday party they asked Dooley and that was the reaction he had, so why isn't the story believable? It paints Bjorn in a positive light.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the search process was hot air, they were just going to hire Cox from the word Go, and that Thorr maybe took one shot with Pitino and was shot down by the Pres.

I fail to see how that was a negative or slight to Bjorn.
jersey Joe
Frenchy Tomlin

DC_Rams, 25 and struggling to pay the studio rent. been there brother I feel your pain. but I was working 3 jobs back then, not posting on college hoops boards. bartending is a quick way to pick up some cash. good luck
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jersey Joe, I would say you about 1 bad post from being sent back to the golocalprov comments section.

I don't know what you're up to, but I know for absolute fact that the story you just told is complete bullshit. Confirmed.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I see you haven't matured any in 6 years. Go away again.