The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by jcru »

Sucking for at least 2 years is nothing. Blink of an eye.

Try being condemned with mediocrity for 2 decades.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I guess I'm being a little selfish. I'm too old to go through another total rebuild and sucking for at least 2 years. There might only be 4 or 5 scholarship players left....and not good ones.
if that's all you're concerned about....then you should have jumped on the Pitino wagon from the start...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I guess I'm being a little selfish. I'm too old to go through another total rebuild and sucking for at least 2 years. There might only be 4 or 5 scholarship players left....and not good ones.
if that's all you're concerned about....then you should have jumped on the Pitino wagon from the start...
At this point, I'd rather Cox get beat out by Pitino than someone with a similar resume to Cox. I'm not sure being an assistant in the NBA makes him any more qualified.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

WInning now>>>>>trying to win later #CoxForHC
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

BleedBlue87 thinks I'm going to disappear from the board. Based on what?

I live in Rhode Island. 4th generation Rhode Islander. I live here, despite all of the shit weather and corrupt local politics. If I haven't moved from this place by now, I'm never moving away. My son is 5th generation.

But, I'm going to disappear from the message board forever. Maybe if I'm dead.

I don't have a problem with hiring Cox. I think it's because I don't want him to go to UConn and help Hurley. I'm sure everyone's reason is not exactly the same.

But, if he get's hired and then the players still scatter, you're done. You won't need to hear it from me, you'll know it
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

jcru wrote:BleedBlue87 thinks I'm going to disappear from the board. Based on what?

I live in Rhode Island. 4th generation Rhode Islander. I live here, despite all of the shit weather and corrupt local politics. If I haven't moved from this place by now, I'm never moving away. My son is 5th generation.

But, I'm going to disappear from the message board forever. Maybe if I'm dead.

I don't have a problem with hiring Cox. I think it's because I don't want him to go to UConn and help Hurley. I'm sure everyone's reason is not exactly the same.

But, if he get's hired and then the players still scatter, you're done. You won't need to hear it from me, you'll know it
That's because of your post history. Before 2 weeks ago you posted twice in three years. Grade A troll.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
At this point, I'd rather Cox get beat out by Pitino than someone with a similar resume to Cox. I'm not sure being an assistant in the NBA makes him any more qualified.
Right. I know that some of our dimmer posters have tried to argue that keeping the roster together shouldn't matter at all, but if you're taking a chance on an up-and-coming coaching prospect, you cannot ignore the roster that you are going to hand that person. Let's just say that Shrewsberry interviews and they love him and they grade him 90/100. If Cox is 85/100, is that incremental difference worth starting the program over from scratch and giving back all of the momentum we've got going? Is a 90/100 coach with no players better than a 85/100 coach with a loaded roster? It is hard for me to see the argument that he would be. Especially since Shrewsberry has never really recruited this part of the country.

I know we have fans that are just tormented by Jerry D two decades later AND not smart enough to have drawn the correct lesson from that situation. But thankfully Thorr is neither of those things. I can't see him, or any reasonable person, messing this one up. But we'll see. Hold onto your butts.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This will suck if Cox isn’t the HC. The team will suck for three years and after that it is uncertain if they will be any good.

This is the best recruiting class in the school’s history to go along with three young players that have shown they can play at this level.
We could lose those three as well.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

TruePoint wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Right. I know that some of our dimmer posters have tried to argue that keeping the roster together shouldn't matter at all, but if you're taking a chance on an up-and-coming coaching prospect, you cannot ignore the roster that you are going to hand that person. Let's just say that Shrewsberry interviews and they love him and they grade him 90/100. If Cox is 85/100, is that incremental difference worth starting the program over from scratch and giving back all of the momentum we've got going? Is a 90/100 coach with no players better than a 85/100 coach with a loaded roster? It is hard for me to see the argument that he would be. Especially since Shrewsberry has never really recruited this part of the country.

I know we have fans that are just tormented by Jerry D two decades later AND not smart enough to have drawn the correct lesson from that situation. But thankfully Thorr is neither of those things. I can't see him, or any reasonable person, messing this one up. But we'll see. Hold onto your butts.
Exactly dim and dimmer!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

By the time Shrewsberry builds this back up he’d be long gone to the next big opening.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You don't like me BB87, I get it. But, I represent people out there who don't post on these boards. People who live in the area, who are not close the program, but follow the program, and form their own conclusions based on what they see and hear.

You know, the kind of people the university is trying to attract to these events = the kind of people you can't stand
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Interesting discussion on the grading...what IS enough of a grade spread to make a difference? Maybe a 90/100 coach with no players is not better than a 85/100 coach with a loaded roster. But, what if the spread was 80 v 90...or 80/95? Prayers are with Thorr on this call... Regardless of the Jerry D sitch, which fortunately, I didn't have to live through, I wouldn't want to put a lot of 'what will the players do if we hire X' weight into the situation, given the yearly roster flux inherent to the sport anyway...
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:As we've discussed exhaustively here, if they hire Cox, it will not be for any one particular recruit. There is value in retaining your roster and a large and high quality recruiting class, obviously, because if you do not have any players then you don't have a team. But only a true imbecile would try to compare David Cox's candidacy for a head coaching position with Jerry DeGregorio's. Jerry D would never have gotten a job coaching at any level; Cox will have a D1 job this year or next year whether URI hires him or somebody else does.

Also don't understand why a person would have a problem with a player or recruit weighing in on who they want the next coach to be. People here are weighing in despite it not having any impact on their life and despite the fact that they don't appear to have any earthly idea what the hell they are talking about.
Lol. Because he has had so many offers leading up to this year? I would bet decent money that Cox does not get a mid-major or better job in the next four years if Rhody passes. It's amazing the love for Cox here. Again, if his resume was "Dayton assistant coach, spent time at GTown and Rutgers as ass't, good reputation as a recruiter" this board would be in full meltdown mode. Glad Thorr read my post last week about Shrewsbury. Think bigger.
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

Not sure I agree with the "no Cox, no recruits" sentiment. Neither of them said they were leaving if he isn't hired. They definitely might, but no one knows for sure what they're going to do, maybe not even them. It's more comfortable for them if Cox gets hired. They have an established relationship. Doesn't mean they won't stay with the new coach.

Hire the right guy, for the right reasons. Maybe that's still Cox, maybe it's not. Hopefully Thorr makes the right call. I have no clue what the right call is, that's for sure.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

^^ That's pretty much a summary of what I have been saying since before Hurley left and have been attacked and called a Grade A Troll for it.

So, good luck. This board wants Cox. I'm ok with Cox, with a few reservations, after having had similar hires/promises blow up in our faces.

That's apparently not good enough. But like I said to DC, if he get's hired, I'll support him, even if they struggle next season.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:As we've discussed exhaustively here, if they hire Cox, it will not be for any one particular recruit. There is value in retaining your roster and a large and high quality recruiting class, obviously, because if you do not have any players then you don't have a team. But only a true imbecile would try to compare David Cox's candidacy for a head coaching position with Jerry DeGregorio's. Jerry D would never have gotten a job coaching at any level; Cox will have a D1 job this year or next year whether URI hires him or somebody else does.

Also don't understand why a person would have a problem with a player or recruit weighing in on who they want the next coach to be. People here are weighing in despite it not having any impact on their life and despite the fact that they don't appear to have any earthly idea what the hell they are talking about.
Lol. Because he has had so many offers leading up to this year? I would bet decent money that Cox does not get a mid-major or better job in the next four years if Rhody passes. It's amazing the love for Cox here. Again, if his resume was "Dayton assistant coach, spent time at GTown and Rutgers as ass't, good reputation as a recruiter" this board would be in full meltdown mode. Glad Thorr read my post last week about Shrewsbury. Think bigger.
Actually, this is EXACTLY what the coach in waiting clause was made for. He's been contacted about other mid-major programs. Not at the A-10/AAC level, but definitely mid-major. I would easily take that bet...
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Dre - does cox think he’s getting the job?
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

If Cox isn't offered the head coaching position, you can take all the growth and momentum this program has built up the last 6 years and throw it out the window. It's not just about keeping the current roster intact and ensuring most (if not all) of the incoming recruits honor their commitments, although that alone should be enough to tip the scale in Cox's favor, and anybody saying differently should have their head examined. More importantly, it's about continuity. Aside from player development and the ability to succeed on the court, one of the most important attributes a head coach should possess is the ability to build and cultivate a strong supporting cast. I think we can all agree that Hurley did just that. We're in a unique position where we now have an assistant coach who's been groomed to take over the head coaching responsibilities, so why not take advantage of that opportunity? Continuity. He knows the players, the program, the conference, and seems to possess all the qualities that make for a successful head coach. I'm 100% on board with hiring Cox. Do that, and this program doesn't skip a beat in my opinion. It's very possible that Cox ends up being a better head coach than Hurley in the long run. We'll never know unless we give him that chance.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RamInLA wrote:Not sure I agree with the "no Cox, no recruits" sentiment. Neither of them said they were leaving if he isn't hired. They definitely might, but no one knows for sure what they're going to do, maybe not even them. It's more comfortable for them if Cox gets hired. They have an established relationship. Doesn't mean they won't stay with the new coach.

Hire the right guy, for the right reasons. Maybe that's still Cox, maybe it's not. Hopefully Thorr makes the right call. I have no clue what the right call is, that's for sure.
That's the thing. Even if Thorr led the highest quality search possible, he's probably going to make a bad hire about 50% of the time. That's just the nature of the beast. It's hard to get it right when you are Indiana, UCLA, etc. It's even harder as you work your way down. The only thing Thorr needs to do is honestly say he leveraged the URI brand and resources to find the best and let the chips fall from there. People that say they know who the hire should be are just pulling stuff out of their ass. The only thing I want to know is whether or not Thorr got sucked into trying to patch the hole with Cox so we can keep a roster together. If he legitimately thinks he is the best guy for the next six years? Let's roll with Cox. Too many people here have their panties in a twist over recruits' tweets. Go look at the last ten years of recruits ranked where ours are. Lot of "who the hell is that guy?" names. Keeping the class together should just be a tiebreaker between two great candidates.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Dre3000 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Actually, this is EXACTLY what the coach in waiting clause was made for. He's been contacted about other mid-major programs. Not at the A-10/AAC level, but definitely mid-major. I would easily take that bet...
Now this guy has turned down head gigs at mid-majors? Lol.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:^^ That's pretty much a summary of what I have been saying since before Hurley left and have been attacked and called a Grade A Troll for it.

So, good luck. This board wants Cox. I'm ok with Cox, with a few reservations, after having had similar hires/promises blow up in our faces.

That's apparently not good enough. But like I said to DC, if he get's hired, I'll support him, even if they struggle next season.
You sound more and more like you actually want our players and recruits to leave.

Again, they were all recruited with Dan leaving in mind. Cox's clause was part of what they used in recruiting these guys.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

GBG, has Cox done something to you? I don’t understand the malice...
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: Lol. Because he has had so many offers leading up to this year? I would bet decent money that Cox does not get a mid-major or better job in the next four years if Rhody passes. It's amazing the love for Cox here. Again, if his resume was "Dayton assistant coach, spent time at GTown and Rutgers as ass't, good reputation as a recruiter" this board would be in full meltdown mode. Glad Thorr read my post last week about Shrewsbury. Think bigger.
Not sure why that's hard to believe when you have the "coach-in-waiting" tag. But continue to speak on things that you actually are GUESSING about. I'm speaking on fact.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

How do you recruit players with the head coach leaving in mind??

I thought the whole point of giving head coaches lengthy contracts was to make the recruits confident that the hc would still be there?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote:GBG, has Cox done something to you? I don’t understand the malice...
I think if you have read all my posts, you would see I would not have any problem with Cox being hired. And, really, I trust Thorr in leading the charge. I just hate the sentiment of "we need to hire Cox for continuity reasons" theme all over here. Bad process leads to bad outcomes.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:GBG, has Cox done something to you? I don’t understand the malice...
I think if you have read all my posts, you would see I would not have any problem with Cox being hired. And, really, I trust Thorr in leading the charge. I just hate the sentiment of "we need to hire Cox for continuity reasons" theme all over here. Bad process leads to bad outcomes.
Agree...Cox might very well be the best choice, I just hope that "continuity" and "keeping the roster intact" don't get over-valued...
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:How do you recruit players with the head coach leaving in mind??

I thought the whole point of giving head coaches lengthy contracts was to make the recruits confident that the hc would still be there?
Is this serious? "Hey but every year we see Hurley's name mentioned with jobs, we know he's going to leave at some point where does that leave my son?"

"Well actually if I'm not hired as the next coach here contractually they have to pay me. There's a great chance I'm your son's next coach"

Seems like an easy conversation.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Dre3000 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
Not sure why that's hard to believe when you have the "coach-in-waiting" tag. But continue to speak on things that you actually are GUESSING about. I'm speaking on fact.
No chance he is turning down a mid-major job for a few extra hundred grand just in case DH left AND he didn't get the job. That is absurd. Stop thinking a place like Fairleigh Dickinson is mid major. Lol.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Not Mike Powell wrote:Is Bill Koch really gonna live tweet every inning of the Red Sox season? Who honestly needs that??
Do people even still watch every Red Sox game?
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Wow...Hurls has to be mad pumped, smiling ear to ear and maybe laughing like a hyena. Either his friend gets a HC job and MAYBE his recruits stay with him, or, he gets to HIRE his friend and get the guys he recruited anyway. Hurls: "Winner winner chicken dinner" Cox has to be pretty jacked up, too, I would think.

"Chief, looks like we have a hostage situation here"
Yep, I’m smelling a wet stinky Husky dawg in da house

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You know, when Cox is up for a contract extension, they'll say "we need to give him 4 more years, so that the players will know he'll be around for their entire time here"

I'll counter it with the patented Dre3000 twisted logic of "we recruit players with the head coach leaving in mind"
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:
jcru wrote:How do you recruit players with the head coach leaving in mind??

Is this serious? "Hey but every year we see Hurley's name mentioned with jobs, we know he's going to leave at some point where does that leave my son?"

"Well actually if I'm not hired as the next coach here contractually they have to pay me. There's a great chance I'm your son's next coach"

Seems like an easy conversation.
For some reason, just doesn't seem very realistic...what does he say if the parent says, 'well, what if they just decide to pay you and not hire you?"
Or, "how much do they have to pay you?" ...but...wtf do I know?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dre3000, there’s only one problem when arguing with fools man....
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

Gonebarongone wrote:
RamInLA wrote:Not sure I agree with the "no Cox, no recruits" sentiment. Neither of them said they were leaving if he isn't hired. They definitely might, but no one knows for sure what they're going to do, maybe not even them. It's more comfortable for them if Cox gets hired. They have an established relationship. Doesn't mean they won't stay with the new coach.

That's the thing. Even if Thorr led the highest quality search possible, he's probably going to make a bad hire about 50% of the time. That's just the nature of the beast. It's hard to get it right when you are Indiana, UCLA, etc. It's even harder as you work your way down. The only thing Thorr needs to do is honestly say he leveraged the URI brand and resources to find the best and let the chips fall from there. People that say they know who the hire should be are just pulling stuff out of their ass. The only thing I want to know is whether or not Thorr got sucked into trying to patch the hole with Cox so we can keep a roster together. If he legitimately thinks he is the best guy for the next six years? Let's roll with Cox. Too many people here have their panties in a twist over recruits' tweets. Go look at the last ten years of recruits ranked where ours are. Lot of "who the hell is that guy?" names. Keeping the class together should just be a tiebreaker between two great candidates.
That's a great point. As much as we'd all like a sure thing, there just isn't one in this scenario. Cox might have the best odds though, if Thorr thinks he can be a head coach at this level.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

DC_Rams wrote:Dre3000, there’s only one problem when arguing with fools man....
Right, I fell into the trap :lol:
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

DC, Dre3000 just told us that the grass is blue and the sky is green, and the world is upsidedown.

Is it ok to question him, or is he another one granted logic immunity on here? Could we perhaps get a list of those chosen, lucky people?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Is it Friday yet? This coaching talk for two weeks is starting to get real stale hahah. Only two legitimate options on the interview list. And don't believe shrewberry is a significant upgrade over cox to take that big of a step back. Let's get this decision done and move on to hiring assistants. To many uneducated opinions posted on who the coach should be.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm going to dust off the old Ouija board and try to find out what other schools wanted Cox as head coach but were scared away by the $150k clause because apparently no one in Sports media decided it was a big enough story to report it and it wasn't even a rumor on social media.

The old ways work best
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

Not sure if this has been said, but Tyrese Martin, Dana Tate AND Jermaine Harris just tweeted that if Cox isn't hired then they're probably gone.

Exact words were
"Only name I signed up for" by TM.
"No disrespect....but I signed up to play for Coach Cox" by JH.
"Behind my brother (JH), Love Cox, only coach I'm willing to play for" by DT.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Do you think Cox put them all up to it or was it spontaneous? Sounds like someone gave them the green light.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

jcru wrote:DC, Dre3000 just told us that the grass is blue and the sky is green, and the world is upsidedown.

Is it ok to question him, or is he another one granted logic immunity on here? Could we perhaps get a list of those chosen, lucky people?
Questioning him is one thing, berating him is another.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

HASwatTeam wrote:Not sure if this has been said, but Tyrese Martin, Dana Tate AND Jermaine Harris just tweeted that if Cox isn't hired then they're probably gone.

Exact words were
GET...OUT...seriously :?: :?:
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

HASwatTeam wrote:Not sure if this has been said, but Tyrese Martin, Dana Tate AND Jermaine Harris just tweeted that if Cox isn't hired then they're probably gone.

Exact words were
But, but, but jcru said they only wanted to play for Hurley.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

DC_Rams wrote:
jcru wrote:DC, Dre3000 just told us that the grass is blue and the sky is green, and the world is upsidedown.

Questioning him is one thing, berating him is another.
I'm a naturally sarcastic person.

You know, like Roseanne.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dre3000 wrote:

Exact words were
But, but, but jcru said they only wanted to play for Hurley.
That's a bit different than being "specifically recruited with the head coach leaving in mind"

wouldn't you say? Or no?
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

jcru wrote:I'm going to dust off the old Ouija board and try to find out what other schools wanted Cox as head coach but were scared away by the $150k clause because apparently no one in Sports media decided it was a big enough story to report it and it wasn't even a rumor on social media.

The old ways work best
That's your misunderstanding, not saying they were scared off. I'm saying Cox told them thanks but no thanks. Why jump at a worse situation if you're in the running to get this?

Under your line of thinking, Xavier was the first school to show interest in Travis Steele, Sean Miller, and Chris Mack. If you believe that, I don't know what to tell you.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Who were the schools?
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Any A-10 schools or MAC or MAAC?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Wow things have taken off in here! Including recruits' hot takes!

I kinda like their enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is key to a program.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The Oujia board is asking for a name, it's going to give me a Yes or No answer. Help me out here.

I would think that having other schools interested might put some positive pressure on URI to up the ante in salary compensation and to hire him in the first place.