The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Interesting it lists having a Bachelor's degree as a requirement. One would think that there's some pretty sharp basketball minds walking around w/o a degree.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

One week posting? Well it jibes with what Thorr said..... after the FF, the title game is 4/2.

I would expect an announcement next Tuesday then.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rambone 78 wrote:One week posting? Well it jibes with what Thorr said..... after the FF, the title game is 4/2.

I would expect an announcement next Tuesday then.

Not only that, a lot of these positions have 1-2 week windows for applicants. Unless it's tenure-track professor, for example, then it's "open until filled". I've had a lot of conversations with people about the university's hiring process. A week or two isn't out of the norm, but in this case, it does go along with what Thor said.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Noted Qualification Requirements:
10. Demonstrated ability to adhere to the University, NCAA, and Atlantic 10 Conference rules and regulations.
13. Appointment is subject to NCAA violation report clearance.

Sorry, Rick Pitino hopefuls.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote:
Fatts is flat-out the fastest/quickest human being I have ever seen in person at anything...hands, feet...name it...
The speed/quickness/toughness combo is so Iverson.[/quote]

Makes sense since they're both from Philly :)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is it possible that Cox gets the only formal interview and they just wait for the official time frame for the job to post to pass before announcing ??
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ace wrote:
SnooterMagoo wrote:Not sure if it's been discussed, but does David Cox go by "Dave" in conversation?

If he does not, would anyone else share my reservations about hiring such a weirdo? That'd be a major red flag. Psycho stuff.
I can now only hear the name “David” as said by Moira Rose on Schitt’s Creek.

If you’re not watching that show, what even is wrong with you?
Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy are on my comedy Mount Rushmore - as are every other SCTV cast member.

Eugene Levy's kid is one of the driving creative forces for Schitts Creek, so he definitely inherited that from his old man. And Eugene's daughter plays the waitress at the cafe.

Oh, and Bobby Bittman sends his regards:
https://youtu.be/onlyRc1XeiA
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PS: I have no problem if Mr. Cox prefers to be addressed as David.

Even though my handle is PeteRI, only family and close friends are allowed to call me Pete. It's PETER to you, Buddy. :|
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote:PS: I have no problem if Mr. Cox prefers to be addressed as David.

Even though my handle is PeteRI, only family and close friends are allowed to call me Pete. It's PETER to you, Buddy. :|
OK, Petey. :lol:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

On last Thurs Thorr said 2-2 1/2 weeks. I would expect the announcement next Thurs (April 5th). It would be great if it was sooner.
I am sure Cox will be told this week or has already been told.
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Lighten up Pete

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Taylor Swift wrote:https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/3252

The Head Coach Job is posted! I was actually checking the URI postings for myself, lol.

URI is very specific in their wording for positions. You'll notice that for #2 it says, "Demonstrated experience as a Division I Head Coach or five years minimum experience as an assistant basketball coach at the college level (preferably Division I) or professional level. Wonder if that wording was in mind for Cox specifically.

Job open date is listed as today, with a close date of 4/2.
Sending my application in soon.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Quote TruePoint
Post by TruePoint » 39 minutes ago

Noted Qualification Requirements:
10. Demonstrated ability to adhere to the University, NCAA, and Atlantic 10 Conference rules and regulations.
13. Appointment is subject to NCAA violation report clearance.

The next rule or regulation that Pitino adheres to will be his first!!! He is a reprehensible human being
who has exhibited severe situational amnesia throughout his career. If adherence to rules is a requirement
than Slick Rick is out. He makes Harrick look like a choir boy. Never mind the pay for play scandal.

Let's get Cox installed as head coach and get the ship moving forward again.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Aye Peter!
steviep123
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote:

Aye Peter!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Solid words really... doesn't happen over night, but the bricks have been laid.

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Definitely keeping a close eye on how long it takes for XU to fill their HC slot, especially if they are promoting from within. Koch makes perfect sense, it’s time we follow suit again.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhodyram wrote:Interesting it lists having a Bachelor's degree as a requirement. One would think that there's some pretty sharp basketball minds walking around w/o a degree.
They made Boswell go and complete his degree before they would hire him.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:Definitely keeping a close eye on how long it takes for XU to fill their HC slot, especially if they are promoting from within. Koch makes perfect sense, it’s time we follow suit again.
Keep in mind that X is a private institution, whereas URI is a public school with at least nominal state oversight and regulation.
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:Definitely keeping a close eye on how long it takes for XU to fill their HC slot, especially if they are promoting from within. Koch makes perfect sense, it’s time we follow suit again.
Keep in mind that X is a private institution, whereas URI is a public school with at least nominal state oversight and regulation.
That nominal oversight and regulation should be no more than 9% as that is the percentage of our budget the state covers.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well fortunately they play no role in making the decision. Consider setting the timeline their 9%.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Gotcha...
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by EGram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
EGram wrote:For all you Nate Oates fans he is basically a less tested version of clues who is 100% offense over D!
Shut up with your Iona nonsense. First of all Oats has actually won a game in the tournament, Cluess hasn't. Second of all Oats' teams are significantly better on defense than Cluess. In 2015-6 it was 134 to 145 in favor of Oats. 17 it was 114 to 211 and this year it was 136-218. On average it is 128-191 in favor of Oats.

We get it. You went to Iona and they're irrelevant, so you have to go somewhere to talk college basketball. But you are the only person here who cares about Iona, Cluess sucks, and he would be a disaster hire for us

Wojeez,i just suggested we take a look at a guy (personally i always said i prefer Cox). No Need for personal attacks.

Although I strongly disagree Iona and Cwpost under CLuess sucks and is irrelevant Cluess has made Iona Arguably the most relevant it's ever been.... Yes Buffalo won an NCCAA. IONA got an AT LARGE IN THE MAAC....with maybe his worse team ever in the cluess era they did marginally worse then buffalo, won thit;s 3rd straight MAC tourny 7 + year of 20 wins..... Post Season every Year.. Not to mention talent he;s gotten legit guys who;ve played in the NBA off the scrap heap.

If you don't want him thats fine. IF You hate him thats fine fine, or strongly dislike his style of play that's your opinion and it' perfectly fair. But to say Iona is irrelevant under Cluess and eh ucks yet Oes and Buffalo are saviours i take that a bit personally.

It's kinda said had how many people Hearted that post... It makes me wonder about my fellow Rhodey Fans.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Iggy1979 wrote:
Rhodyram wrote:Interesting it lists having a Bachelor's degree as a requirement. One would think that there's some pretty sharp basketball minds walking around w/o a degree.
I thought having a degree is a criteria to coach at any school, any level. And has been since I can remember. Unless something has changed, I have never heard of someone being hired for any coaching position without a degree.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

giovanni wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
I thought having a degree is a criteria to coach at any school, any level. And has been since I can remember. Unless something has changed, I have never heard of someone being hired for any coaching position without a degree.
Former players that didn’t graduate and coached.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I agree with the guy that kind of outlined how Bobby jr. took Buffalo over and fast tracked through to ASU. Then Oats took over and got Wes Clarke, who was more heralded than EC. Then unleashed the whole thing on a lessor league than even the A10.

Big win against Arizona this year. Can't take that away.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Enjoyed this interview with Jeff at the A-10 tournament. Talks about his transition to playing the 1 guard, and also has some interesting things to say about Coach Cox with regards to his development.

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote:Enjoyed this interview with Jeff at the A-10 tournament. Talks about his transition to playing the 1 guard, and also has some interesting things to say about Coach Cox with regards to his development.

Your Ron Bailey??
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

giovanni wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
Not being a wise ass but if Kobe Bryant/Kevin Garnett decided to get into coaching and had the other necessary crudentials (ie x- amount of years as a d-1 asst) he would be ruled out for not having a Bachelor’s??
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I would say yes only because coaches are supposed to be role models to student athletes, but that’s my take on the requirement for having a degree.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

DC_Rams wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Enjoyed this interview with Jeff at the A-10 tournament. Talks about his transition to playing the 1 guard, and also has some interesting things to say about Coach Cox with regards to his development.

Your Ron Bailey??
Ron Bailey is a highly respected report from down in DC. He runs the Hoya's Rivals site among other web pages.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Bos8 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

Your Ron Bailey??
Ron Bailey is a highly respected report from down in DC. He runs the Hoya's Rivals site among other web pages.
Oh ok, I read your post as if you filmed the video, sorry.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Gotcha. Just something that I stumbled across.
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

RamIt! wrote:Solid words really... doesn't happen over night, but the bricks have been laid.

Great tweets here from Koch. This line of reasoning is what made me change my mind about wanting he who shall not be named as HC
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From the Dowtin interview - Coach Cox is the coaches for the Guards. That is great news.
Jeff relies on him a lot.
Also, he went to the same high school as Dowtin. Jeff isn’t going anywhere.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm guessing most of the 19's, to be signed this fall, are Cox's.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC's picks for his assistants is going to be huge, to keep that continuity going. I would be happy if we could be like Xavier.

If DC is the guards coach, then he needs a big man coach....after the HC announcement, we'll see who he brings in.

And another good recruiter would help.

To bring in the best, we have to pay like the best, at least in the A10....300K for the top assistant, 200K for the 2nd, and 150K for the 3rd.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:I'm guessing most of the 19's, to be signed this fall, are Cox's.
I'm expecting Boswell to make a contribution to the '19 class, as well.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts is on board. Instagram tonght.

gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Is it just me or does Dowtin look a ton like Prince?
Clapton is God
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Painful to watch that Fatts highlight video.

When you start running down all of the progress made here over the years. The roster looks great considering they graduated 5. The crowds for nearly 3 months. Administration/Donors stepping up. Recruiting up. Scheduling up! Tough pill to swallow when someone walks away from all of that.

The future looked and still looks so bright. But hard to believe when you see the mayhem of Fatts highlight video that someone would walk away from a place that really buys into the chip on shoulder style.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Cox is indeed our coach, he speaks very highly of Chris Cole as an up and coming coach. Chris would give us an even stronger presence from the DMV area, maybe the richest area of talent in the country right now. Coach Cox credits Jermaine's development totally to Chris, admitting that Jermaine wasn't very good when he came to Maryland from Florida as a 9th grader. So, there's a coach who already has a good reputation for developing bigs. As Jermaine said....hint, hint, stay tuned.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Billyboy78 wrote:If Cox is indeed our coach, he speaks very highly of Chris Cole as an up and coming coach. Chris would give us an even stronger presence from the DMV area, maybe the richest area of talent in the country right now. Coach Cox credits Jermaine's development totally to Chris, admitting that Jermaine wasn't very good when he came to Maryland from Florida as a 9th grader. So, there's a coach who already has a good reputation for developing bigs. As Jermaine said....hint, hint, stay tuned.
I agree I think Cole has a bright future. I posted something very similar the other day and got shot down. But I could see as a third assistant. Those development skills with Jermaine are extremely noticeable. Get him working with Mike layssard could help.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:If Cox is indeed our coach, he speaks very highly of Chris Cole as an up and coming coach. Chris would give us an even stronger presence from the DMV area, maybe the richest area of talent in the country right now. Coach Cox credits Jermaine's development totally to Chris, admitting that Jermaine wasn't very good when he came to Maryland from Florida as a 9th grader. So, there's a coach who already has a good reputation for developing bigs. As Jermaine said....hint, hint, stay tuned.
Again, hard pass. Cox is gonna need a proven heavy hitter. Cole, while a solid HS coach, is not the answer.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He could hire Cole....he still needs a 1st assistant, who could be that "heavy hitter" of which you speak....

You know, most coaches work there way up from the HS level....that's how it works.

He will need someone to develop bigs.....
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote:
giovanni wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: They made Boswell go and complete his degree before they would hire him.

Former players that didn’t graduate and coached.
Not being a wise ass, but who are those guys? Give me a list of who they are?
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote:
giovanni wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote: They made Boswell go and complete his degree before they would hire him.
Not being a wise ass but if Kobe Bryant/Kevin Garnett decided to get into coaching and had the other necessary crudentials (ie x- amount of years as a d-1 asst) he would be ruled out for not having a Bachelor’s??

I'll ask you also, I don't know of any there must be many, do you have any names of these guys?
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Wasn't Rod Strickland a "student manager" assistant of some sort for Cal at Memphis because he didn't have his degree? Wasn't God Shamgod in the same situation at PC? It's typically a pretty common requirement for college coaching
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Did Anfernee Hardaway graduate from Memphis (or anywhere)?

Update: per his Wikipedia page, he returned to Memphis and earned his bachelors degree in 2003.
SnooterMagoo
Abdul Fox

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by SnooterMagoo »

EGram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
EGram wrote:For all you Nate Oates fans he is basically a less tested version of clues who is 100% offense over D!
Shut up with your Iona nonsense. First of all Oats has actually won a game in the tournament, Cluess hasn't. Second of all Oats' teams are significantly better on defense than Cluess. In 2015-6 it was 134 to 145 in favor of Oats. 17 it was 114 to 211 and this year it was 136-218. On average it is 128-191 in favor of Oats.

We get it. You went to Iona and they're irrelevant, so you have to go somewhere to talk college basketball. But you are the only person here who cares about Iona, Cluess sucks, and he would be a disaster hire for us
Wojeez,i just suggested we take a look at a guy (personally i always said i prefer Cox). No Need for personal attacks.

Although I strongly disagree Iona and Cwpost under CLuess sucks and is irrelevant Cluess has made Iona Arguably the most relevant it's ever been.... Yes Buffalo won an NCCAA. IONA got an AT LARGE IN THE MAAC....with maybe his worse team ever in the cluess era they did marginally worse then buffalo, won thit;s 3rd straight MAC tourny 7 + year of 20 wins..... Post Season every Year.. Not to mention talent he;s gotten legit guys who;ve played in the NBA off the scrap heap.

If you don't want him thats fine. IF You hate him thats fine fine, or strongly dislike his style of play that's your opinion and it' perfectly fair. But to say Iona is irrelevant under Cluess and eh ucks yet Oes and Buffalo are saviours i take that a bit personally.

It's kinda said had how many people Hearted that post... It makes me wonder about my fellow Rhodey Fans.
Well, that got ugly. One guy prefers the coach from the MAC. Other guy prefers the coach from the MAAC.

Classic case of MAC on MAAC crime.