The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote:Harrick is a move very few AD's would have made. Ron Petro did, but it was because many different factors lined up at the same time. Not to mention they screwed their "negotiations" with Skinner, and that team needed a coach badly, that was one of the most talented collection of players we have ever had, most in their senior year, just like this past year.

Ron Petro was cruising to the end of his career as well. Thorr is younger than that, his career is still building, it's still on the upswing, no way he risks his entire resume over hiring Rick Pitino or that ilk.

I do believe Harrick was a risk that succeeded and paid off some big dividends, short term. But the complete fumble after his departure is what hurt the program. People honestly believed Lamar Odom was going to put off his lottery pick an entire year to stay with Jerry D, when he wasn't even academically eligible to play anymore. They only kept him academically eligible on a wing and a prayer for that one season. It was reportedly bad, the academia involved were on the verge of revolt, it was such a farce.

Things were not like they are now. Since the hire of Baron, this has been a legitimate program, with real student athletes and real expectations. I give Baron credit for that at least. He had a low ceiling, but he at least established a foundation. I was the one who first met him at the 5th Quarter Club meeting with the infamous track suit and "maybe an NIT in 3 to 4 years" comment. Basically, his we have to grind our expectations down to a halt M.O. You know, based on what he was seeing behind the scenes when he first took the job, maybe that was a legitimate concern. It seemed like the only top recruit holdover was Woodward and the tallest guy on the team was 6'5, we couldn't even field a front court.

Make no mistake, Jerry D was hired under false pretenses, and when you do that, you get burned, big time. The Fast Break Club had that dinner with the "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" moment, which helped solidify Jerry as the "consensus" hire to "save the players". When you lie to everyone else about the reality of what is going on, it's bad, but when you lie to yourself, it's worse. You hire a guy strictly to "save the players" and then more than half of them leave anyway, it's more than just shooting yourself in the foot, you might as well take a hacksaw and cut your feet off, "Misery" style. And call yourself Stubby.

You can't blame Harrick for that. They should have just looked for an up and coming young coach and rebuilded, but no one seemed to want to admit that a rebuild was necessary, they were high off of three straight NCAA appearances and didn't want to hear it.

That’s a good take on the late 90s, but that situation is different than what we have here now. With the talent on the roster (there are not a ton of contributors left from last year’s team, but the three main ones are very high caliber players for our league) and what is incoming (possibly best class in the program’s history), a rebuild would be tragic. The best case is if you can hire a qualified coach who can keep the talent and the culture in place (note: a qualified coach, not an unqualified moron like Jerry D). And it seems like we can. So let’s do that and not risk setting the program back by several years with an outside hire or destroying it completely with Rick Pitino.

(I’m going to stop mentioning Rick Pitino soon, because he is not a serious candidate, but people keep bringing him up so I feel like I have to.)
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I've been reading your post these last few days, and I agree with almost everything you've said.

I'll tell you what Rod would say, if he could say it. That's the worst part, he's not here to give his opinion, I'll just my mouthpiece to voice as close to an opinion as he would have.

Rod would have said, put out a net and take a couple of weeks, and see who is interested. And, it looks like that's what Thorr is doing. Cox is like the default hire here. But see what the interest is first.

Rod would have wanted the Hurley "clone". That's what excited him. The hot prospect from a lower rung program with an NCAA run/appearance as momentum coming into the job. Oats or someone like that. Someone with experience and someone that would make a little national noise, as a statement that we can attract young hot coaching prospects, we've "arrived" as a program.

Sans that...

If in the end, after a valiant effort, Thorr ended up hiring Cox, Rod wouldn't have been bitter. That's the key, the effort was made up front. But, then you fall short, you go with the default candidate, Rod wouldn't have bitched. He wasn't like that, he would throw his support behind the guy at that point, and not made waves. BUT, he would have argued for, what used to be, the standard URI 3 year contract for someone with no hc experience coming in.

And then you are covered, win, lose or draw. If things go south in a hurry, you can buy out the contract after year two. If he explodes and there is a NCAAT appearance run in year two, you scramble to try and extend the contract like this season. If it is a blah/mediocre performance, you probably let him ride out the 3 years and then make a decision.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am all in on David Cox let's make that happen

Looks like we will have a coach in place the first couple days of April hopefully David Cox

Say no to Mark Schmidt
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

reef, I say no to Mark Schmidt
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

One of the under appreciated aspects of hiring Cox is this summer’s upcoming recruiting period. We know DC is our best shot to hand onto current players and our incoming class. We also know or hear that Boswell will stay with Cox if he is hired. Boswell and Cox were our two lead recruiters so they could roll into this summer with the game plan and relationships that have been developed and built over the past year and execute. URI needs to keep this momentum going and this hire is a no brainer in my opinion. I don’t see any reason why DC wouldn’t be provided the opportunity here to be successful.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If URI were to offer Cox 5 years for 5 million....there's no way they guarantee that entire contract. Thorr and Dooley aren't stupid like Carothers was.

There would be a buyout on Cox's part just like Dan had.

Anyway, we should hear something this week about who they are interviewing....things leak out you know.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If it is Cox he won’t make 1 mil buttttt he should make more than $600k. $750k would make sense. Leaves $450k of Dan’s salary which was already budgeted for next year for program enhancements, plus the buyout money for enhancements, plus the tourney credits for enhancements.

As long as Cox is behind the scenes fighting for all the same enhancements Danny was then I think I will like the hire. If he is complacent with where we are the that is a red flag.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

On the front page of the projo is an article titled “He wants to get back in the game”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Pitino.....CBS should put him on TV .......replace Barkley.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

section(105) wrote:......Pitino.....CBS should put him on TV .......replace Barkley.....
I just read the story ... he deflects it all on his assistants. “I hired the wrong people.” That alone should disqualify him for the Rhody job.
Slava Ukraini!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

steviep123 wrote:Thoughts on Porter Moser - the Loyola coach?
Good but Midwest guy ?
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Roland Fiore would also be great asst. under Cox. School the big men. Super hard worker and good with the kids.
He is local,very popular ex-playa. His hiring would galvanize the fan base.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

My spider sense is that Pitino wants this job and his team is pushing his candidacy through a social media whisper campaign and by using his media contact network. As far as I'm concerned, anyone bringing up his name is a schill, because it's not coming from URI, and it won't.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

5yr 3.75 million contract makes sense. Start at 650k a year and escalate it from there so it averages 750k over 5yrs makes sense. Take the savings from the lower contract, NCAA units, Dans buyout etc to put towards the practice facility and annual basketball budget. We need to keep growing that budget and ensure it’s a top 2-3 A-10 budget to continue to accend.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How much is Dayton paying Grant? How much is VCU paying their new coach?

We want to be on their level, we need to be paying our coach at least close to what they are making.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

CT Rhody wrote:5yr 3.75 million contract makes sense. Start at 650k a year and escalate it from there so it averages 750k over 5yrs makes sense. Take the savings from the lower contract, NCAA units, Dans buyout etc to put towards the practice facility and annual basketball budget. We need to keep growing that budget and ensure it’s a top 2-3 A-10 budget to continue to accend.
If Cox is Thorr’s man that’s the contract. This stuff being bantered around yesterday was silly.

When is the Dave Cowens interview?

GO RHODY!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:How much is Dayton paying Grant? How much is VCU paying their new coach?

We want to be on their level, we need to be paying our coach at least close to what they are making.
Both of those guys have coached before. Those programs have previously promoted assistants after the HC took another job. Do the research and see if they paid the promoted assistant what they paid the departed coach. Or I could save you the time and tell you that they didn't.

Where it is important to keep pace with those schools is in revenue and budget. Where we spend the money isn't as important. Every program will have different needs and will deploy their resources differently.

Also, if Cox is here in five years and has made the tournament several times and generally produced results, his pay will be as good as anyone's in the league.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Give Hurley credit, he showed everyone you can win at URI and be in the Top 25. He also got the school to pony up Power 5 money for its offer and commit to a new practice facility, etc. I wish we were privy to the names of coaches who may be interested in the position.

I can't find a list of all coaches salaries, but I think the offer we made Dan would have put him in the Top 50-75...does anyone know?

I think if It's Cox, we offer between $600-750K/yr for 4 years and if he keeps things rolling an extension or rework will be offered after year 1 or 2 for closer to $1m, and will keep on escalating with continued success.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

theblueram wrote:
giovanni wrote:Some comparing the Jerry D situation being hired as an assistant to the present day David Cox situation.

Now, Mark Schmidt a definite no because of what? Jim Baron?

I think these are both totally different situations to say the least. I am not advocating for Mark Schmidt, but the guy can coach and has done wonders with that program. I don't think he should be totally dismissed if he did indeed have interest being a local guy too.

Still its Cox for me.
Mark Schmidt has made 2 NCAAT in 11 years at SBU. NO THANKS.
Again, not advocating or promoting Schmidt. Just agreeing that he may very well be a guy who inquires about the job being a local guy from nearby Mass. While 2 Ncaas in 11 years is not great and I guess the only numbers that matter to some, he is also at St Bonnies, not exactly an easy place to coach , recruit, so on. Not like if those were his numbers at Syracuse. I know he is well respected for his coaching ability in the coaching world.

Cox please
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bring Tom Penders back. He's a little crazy, but it'd be fun.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Take a look at what UMass gave Matt McCall, already a head D1 coach, for a contract just last year:

http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball ... st_13.html

$3.25 million over the course of his five-year deal, which is laced with several bonuses that would push his annual average salary to $750,000 per year if he remains at the school for all five years

250K base
175K retention bonus (will increase by 25K per NCAA bid)
100K for winning NCAA Tournament
25K for national coach of the year
25K for either A-10 regular season or tournament championship
50K for NCAA bid
575K for staff
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Take a look at what UMass gave Matt McCall, already a head D1 coach, for a contract just last year:

$3.25 million over the course of his five-year deal, which is laced with several bonuses that would push his annual average salary to $750,000 per year if he remains at the school for all five years

250K base
50K for NCAA bid
575K for staff
That is the perfect example of why coaches leave this league as soon as they have success.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Adam Zagoria reports that the Cox buyout is just 150k

Cox was never tabbed “coach-in-waiting,” despite reports, but he does have language in his contract that says if he is not named head coach following Hurley’s departure for another job, he would be paid $150,000, sources said.

Link:
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/03/24/rhod ... inal-four/
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote:
RF1 wrote:Take a look at what UMass gave Matt McCall, already a head D1 coach, for a contract just last year:

250K base
50K for NCAA bid
575K for staff
That is the perfect example of why coaches leave this league as soon as they have success.
Disagree. I think most A-10 schools start off contracts on the low end. They renegotiate if they start finding success and adding more money and perks. It is what URI did with Hurley. The problem with URI/Hurley is that they probably should have upped the contract more a year ago.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think the problem in general with the A10 is the crappy tv contract and lack of guaranteed annual money for each school, so they have to ease into these contracts so they are not stuck with one they can't afford if the coach doesn't work out. When the coach has success or the school sees that success is more likely than not, then they up the pay and hope that the coach doesn't get poached. The circle of life until you get that coach who just wants to stay and build a power and legacy.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

A-10 has a TV contract? :roll:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

$3.25 million over the course of his five-year deal, which is laced with several bonuses that would push his annual average salary to $750,000 per year if he remains at the school for all five years.
Disagree. I think most A-10 schools start off contracts on the low end. They renegotiate if they start finding success and adding more money and perks. It is what URI did with Hurley. The problem with URI/Hurley is that they probably should have upped the contract more a year ago.
Hurley would have left for UCONN any way. It was his dream job and in the end he said it was “an easy decision except for the emotion of saying goodbye”.
“We will be good when we are good.”
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

The A-10 desperately needs a television contract. No TV-not enough cash to compete with the big boys!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I was suggesting Ollie in jest, I do wish there was a sleazy but within the rules way to undermine Calhoun's grand plans to make UConn great again. I hate UConn so much now, I like PC better, actually that's a bad example I like routing for PC when they are not playing us. So I'm going to say I hate UConn as much as I despise Michael Vick. Fuck UConn, fuck poaching our coach, fuck Calhoun pulling strings, fuck all that. Thorr should make it his singular goal to keep us rising higher than UConn ever gets again.
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I honestly feel like I do hate UConn more than Providence right now. I didn't think that was possible; I once said that if ISIS had a basketball team, I'd root for them against PC. Maybe my hatred of UConn will recede over time, but right now they are worse than Providence.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I know there is a lot of opposition to this idea, but this one is not in jest, about Pitino, let him come coach here, write the contract with major stipulations/repercussions for any even minor violation, offer a very low base salary with tons of incentives to win and win clean. He will sell tickets and keep a very interesting intrastate polarity going.
Go Rhody!!!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's the Homewrecker Effect.

UConn stole URI's husband. When URI stole Wagner's husband, it was fantastic.

They are going to do it to you, so feel no guilt when you do it to them.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote:I honestly feel like I do hate UConn more than Providence right now. I didn't think that was possible; I once said that if ISIS had a basketball team, I'd root for them against PC. Maybe my hatred of UConn will recede over time, but right now they are worse than Providence.

You and me both, TP!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote:That's the Homewrecker Effect.

You're right of course, with one caveat, we didn't plant a mole in his coaching staff.
Go Rhody!!!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I get the reservations about Pitino. But it's really Louisville's sell your soul for sports culture created by the former AD. Pitino is more of an accessory to that.

But did any of you fill out a bracket this year? Basically every team with a shot at the title 2 weeks ago was shrouded in some type of scandal.

Honestly the list is too long to get into. Just Tom Izzo and Bo Ryan were held up as what was good in basketball 8 years ago and now they both have baggage.

Nate Oates hype I don't like. Guy has fortuitously found his way into being a hot coach. But Preston Murphy got EC from him and now we are going to hire Oates? Because he has more experience than Murphy? He's leap frogged Murphy?

Im young enough to survive a Pitino hire. People don't even remember hour much scandal is attached to so many coaches. Just Huggy Bear was ran out of Cincinnati in scandal and now people don't even bring up his issues.

Pitino only has 3-5 good years left in him anyway. He could win games. If he takes a big buyout clause it would be great if he went pro after 2-3 years. Give the program even more cash.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:I know there is a lot of opposition to this idea, but this one is not in jest, about Pitino, let him come coach here, write the contract with major stipulations/repercussions for any even minor violation, offer a very low base salary with tons of incentives to win and win clean. He will sell tickets and keep a very interesting intrastate polarity going.
We've done it before. Hiring a nationally acclaimed then disgraced coach. The last one got us an Elite 8. Pitino could get us a Final Four.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Running Ram wrote:
jcru wrote:That's the Homewrecker Effect.

You're right of course, with one caveat, we didn't plant a mole in his coaching staff.
He did bring his recruits from Wagner (which kind of hurt the program). Really DH stacking the roster with a bunch of Wagner recruits and transfers that he knew from high school made us suck for a couple years.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote:I know there is a lot of opposition to this idea, but this one is not in jest, about Pitino, let him come coach here, write the contract with major stipulations/repercussions for any even minor violation, offer a very low base salary with tons of incentives to win and win clean. He will sell tickets and keep a very interesting intrastate polarity going.
Absolutely not. Would seriously reduce ticket availability...can't have that. We need to keep sweating making 4-5K attendance when students are on break, and this might put an end to that...would be too many 'casual fans' from all over the state plus Mass and CT...don't want that. Too much winning, too soon...not good... :roll:
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:He did bring his recruits from Wagner (which kind of hurt the program). Really DH stacking the roster with a bunch of Wagner recruits and transfers that he knew from high school made us suck for a couple years.
That doesn't bode well for our current recruits, think about it. History is the greatest teacher of the future. If he did that before, he'll do it again.

Go out and get the best coach you can, because the cupboard is likely to get raided, at least a little bit
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just want a Final Four. Who gives us the best chance? Cox or Pitino?
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Absolutely not. Would seriously reduce ticket availability...can't have that. We need to keep sweating making 4-5K attendance when students are on break, and this might put an end to that...would be too many 'casual fans' from all over the state plus Mass and CT...don't want that. Too much winning, too soon...not good... :roll:[/quote]

And this is one reason we will stay a mid-major, make the tournament once in a while, maybe every 4-5year if lucky program. Most of you want to be a top program but don’t want to risk getting there. If there was a way to ensure a Pitino type coach could bring us to the next level and not pull a Harrick, I’d be 100% for that! If you aren’t, don’t pretend you want URI to be more than it is now.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Pitino would be a little different than Harrick in the sense of:

If Hurley had walked away a year ago and left the next coach with a team loaded with seniors and talent, THEN that would be like Harrick.

Now, we just lost half a team, this isn't a Harrick situation per se. If Pitino still wants this, he'll have to try to nail down every one already here, everyone Hurley recruited, and bring in a couple of late signees or JUCOs to fill out the roster, if he wants immediate success, else you are talking complete rebuild job. That might be worth it.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think we should at least kick the tires on slick rick.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote:I just want a Final Four. Who gives us the best chance? Cox or Pitino?
Haha is this a trick question? I wonder if Coach Cox gets endorsement deal with Cox.

A Pitino hire would be too cruel to people that believed Dan was different. It's like "look at Dan beat Oklahoma! With morals and only caring for the kids!" .... 3 weeks later Rick Pitino is the coach and Dan is coaching at old rival Uconn.

I wonder how involved Adidas is.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NO PITINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
theblueram wrote:I just want a Final Four. Who gives us the best chance? Cox or Pitino?
Haha is this a trick question? I wonder if Coach Cox gets endorsement deal with Cox.

A Pitino hire would be too cruel to people that believed Dan was different. It's like "look at Dan beat Oklahoma! With morals and only caring for the kids!" .... 3 weeks later Rick Pitino is the coach and Dan is coaching at old rival Uconn.

I wonder how involved Adidas is.
Hah. It's a slimy business this college basketball. :D
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Hurley would have left for UCONN any way. It was his dream job and in the end he said it was “an easy decision except for the emotion of saying goodbye”.

I think that whatever job he went to from URI would have been termed by him "his dream job". Sorry, too many story telling inconsistencies for me to believe anything this week
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

I think that whatever job he went to from URI would have been termed by him "his dream job". Sorry, too many story telling inconsistencies for me to believe anything this week
Believe this...Pitino can coach and would sell tickets.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

To be honest, I think Pitino would 100% accept this position.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Double bag it.

Let's do it.