The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody74 »

reef wrote:Will Ace be a fixture on the UConn board now ??
I’m sure she’s got to be loyal to her bro’.
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

adam914 wrote:

Yeah, right.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And the worst part of all of this, that I am doubtful any of you have to deal with...I am engaged to a Uconn grad and bball fan.
Seriously considering calling it off. Only half joking. Go Rhody!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

bigappleram wrote:And the worst part of all of this, that I am doubtful any of you have to deal with...I am engaged to a Uconn grad and bball fan.
Gotta do what is best for the family.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yep, what's best for the Ram-ily is to shut it down!
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I was as big of a Hurley fan as anobody. He did amazing things in his time here. I’m just very disappointed that despite URI meeting his demands he still decided to go. If reports are correct then he should have stayed in RI. He had everything going right here. My biggest fear was URI not willing to go all in with our program and that doesn’t appear to be the case at all. Don’t mess with success and that’s what Dan has decided to do. Big risk for big money. UCONN is as shady of a school in terms of administration as it gets. I am certain he will grow to resent his decision. That being said I wish he was still our coach. I have a lot of respect for him and as many others have stated would have felt much better about this if it wasn’t UCONN. I just can’t believe he can’t see what all of us see is wrong with that program. Our new hire and retaining our recruits has to happen as soon as possible. I’m still just shocked. He had it made here.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote:And the worst part of all of this, that I am doubtful any of you have to deal with...I am engaged to a Uconn grad and bball fan.
That is literally the worst. You cannot just pretend like Dan took a job on Mars like I'm going to do.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Can we get a Josh McDaniels moment here? Leave the Husky at the altar?
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Comparing Storrs to Mars is very unfair to Mars.

GO RHODY!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There were a few here that knew UConn was a done deal while he was still coaching our team. It was done as soon as Ollie was fired. Of course, I was blasted for putting out that information. Maybe I should have waited until after the Duke game to post it. I thought it was important info, so I posted it. Anyway, if we knew about it, obviously the players knew about it. I get information from somebody close to the program. The players ARE the program. They knew. Did our decline in play coincide with all of this the last few weeks of the season? I don't know. But it couldn't have helped. I love URI basketball, a lot more than Dan Hurley does. Time to move on to the next chapter. It will be very interesting to see what that next chapter brings.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Don't worry it all works out. I met my wife in 1978 at uri.. She was from Fairfield ct a big Yankees fan and Bucky dent fan... We all know what Bucky dent did to the Sox in '78... I even watched that game with her ouch!!!! She is now a Sox fan and as passionate a uri hoops fan as me.. There is hope for you yet...i
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can someone explain to me why Tom Moore all of a sudden was part of the deal ?

A guy Hurley brought in and I don’t think brought in any recruits.. and presto they are BFF’s ?

Did Calhoun/UConn insist dan bring him ?

Smells like a rat
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

And then there is dam preaching 24/7 about needing a practice facility and charters / they give it to him and he still walks .. #FAMILY
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Watched the Kourakis piece...as usual they only use like 45 seconds of a half hour interview but Dan got choked up at one point. Shouldn't have left then brosef. Bad decision that undermines so much of what you've said you're all about.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just leave our players and recruits alone... I had bad vibes when fatts walked off the court at end of duke game and got that long hug from Hurley..he is a phony.. I refuse to watch any of his interviews.. I don't believe a word he says.. Very disingenuous.. Sour grapes maybe... Don't care
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Last edited by Ram1019 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Typically not the biggest believer of conspiracy theory's but yeah this too much smoke not to think this wasn't in the works for weeks if not months...

As a huge Floyd fan I have the perfect song for Uconn's introduction of DH

starts with:
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine
Where have you been?
It's alright we know where you've been
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time
Provided with toys and 'scouting for boys'"

and the perfect album cover to go with it

https://goo.gl/images/hX3q9B
Clapton is God
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

You fraud. Shopping yourself and weeping goodbye. Shut the fuck up bobby's little brother.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn BAR that really hits close to home, looks like you will be watching a lot of UConn and URI games

If I recall right you were the one who pushed for the DH hire while he still at Wagner that was great foresight on your part !!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Running Ram wrote:You fraud. Shopping yourself and weeping goodbye. Shut the fuck up bobby's little brother.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ram1019 wrote:
...'will never have better moments'...huh?
Stupid thing to say.... if you're at a place where you know you'll 'never have better moments'...what're ya leaving for?
Certainly not to go to a place where you think you'll 'never have better moments' - only worse ones - than the place you just left.

He should just stop talking for a while...
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You're either with us, or you're against us. He is now the enemy
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I’d say Danny has gone from genuine to slick in 6 yrs.

GO RHODY!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Got to be honest, seeing Dan's tweets and the interview clips is actually pissing me off more than I've been pissed today and through this process and I thought that's the kind of stuff that would make me feel better about the whole thing. In terms of on the court he built what he said he would, can't take that away. But definitely wondering how much of what he's saying now he means and how much is coach speak that he has to say. I never questioned his sincerity before today. And it's like, why did I get into so many pissing matches on the board defending him? Why did I put so much money, time, and emotion into this program? Fucking hours and hours I wasted and he wouldn't even recognize me if he bumped into me. I need better hobbies, being a sports fan sucks.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote:

Damn BAR that really hits close to home, looks like you will be watching a lot of UConn and URI games

If I recall right you were the one who pushed for the DH hire while he still at Wagner that was great foresight on your part !!
I sent a text that made its way to Thorr in November of 2011, saying Dan should be our next HC. I don't know if he was on the radar yet, but I live in NYC and was reading a lot of press about the program builder at Wagner. We are the same age so I was very aware of him and his bro growing up, like anyone else who followed the game, but with the NYC media he was very top of mind. As a result I certainly felt a sense of attachment to the hire and his success, so unlike what Ice Cube said Today is Not a Good Day.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

At the end of the day, it’s a business folks. Danny did what was best for he and his family, and as a MAN and head of a household, he owes US as fans nothing but empathy at this point. Let’s moves on, and watch out for the open milk cartons.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Forget Parcells....

This is getting as weird as Harrick to Athens or not....

I’ve moved on, too bad really.

Dan I can’t wish you luck at UConn.

Sincerely Sorry but can’t do it.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

ElmCityRhody wrote:Can someone explain to me why Tom Moore all of a sudden was part of the deal ?

A guy Hurley brought in and I don’t think brought in any recruits.. and presto they are BFF’s ?

Did Calhoun/UConn insist dan bring him ?

Smells like a rat
He needs someone to watch his back up there. Elm, you know what it's like.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I still won't allow myself to be mad at Dan. But I keep paraphrasing a line from Adam Scotts character in Step Brothers in my head.

"I made 1.2 million dollars last year"

"It's not about the money"

"OK...but UConn offered me 3.1 million, so yeah it kind of is about the money because I'm making that much."
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Got to be honest, seeing Dan's tweets and the interview clips is actually pissing me off more than I've been pissed today and through this process and I thought that's the kind of stuff that would make me feel better about the whole thing. In terms of on the court he built what he said he would, can't take that away. But definitely wondering how much of what he's saying now he means and how much is coach speak that he has to say. I never questioned his sincerity before today. And it's like, why did I get into so many pissing matches on the board defending him? Why did I put so much money, time, and emotion into this program? Fucking hours and hours I wasted and he wouldn't even recognize me if he bumped into me. I need better hobbies, being a sports fan sucks.
RR2, URI BASKETBALL is a lot bigger than Danny Hurley keep up the good fight.

GO RHODY!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PTI has UConn as one of the upcoming topics
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Ram1019 wrote:

blah blah blah
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Got to be honest, seeing Dan's tweets and the interview clips is actually pissing me off more than I've been pissed today and through this process and I thought that's the kind of stuff that would make me feel better about the whole thing.
I had the exact same reaction.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Got to be honest, seeing Dan's tweets and the interview clips is actually pissing me off more than I've been pissed today and through this process and I thought that's the kind of stuff that would make me feel better about the whole thing. In terms of on the court he built what he said he would, can't take that away. But definitely wondering how much of what he's saying now he means and how much is coach speak that he has to say. I never questioned his sincerity before today. And it's like, why did I get into so many pissing matches on the board defending him? Why did I put so much money, time, and emotion into this program? Fucking hours and hours I wasted and he wouldn't even recognize me if he bumped into me. I need better hobbies, being a sports fan sucks.
Yep

It’s ok Rhowdy.

Go get a pizza and rewrite that signature

Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....initial buyers remorse....?.......what would Rod have say about this whole thing?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

section(105) wrote:.....initial buyers remorse....?.......what would Rod have say about this whole thing?
EC is overrated
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we are readin into tweets, can we read anything into the players will remain in Kingston to hang banners? Does that mean he won't try to strip the program for parts on his way out of town? Or are we to the point where he doesn't have the credibility for us to buy anything into what he said?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote:If we are readin into tweets, can we read anything into the players will remain in Kingston to hang banners? Does that mean he won't try to strip the program for parts on his way out of town? Or are we to the point where he doesn't have the credibility for us to buy anything into what he said?
Same exact inner dialogue I had. If anyone follows him, it's probably Fatts. Though I imagine he will encourage him to stay with us.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If anyone wants to further torture themselves with reading/watching/thinking about this more like I have all day both WPRI and WJAR have their news reports with clips of Hurley posted on their websites.

I think I need a break from all this for now.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote:If anyone wants to further torture themselves with reading/watching/thinking about this more like I have all day both WPRI and WJAR have their news reports with clips of Hurley posted on their websites.

I think I need a break from all this for now.
......that is exactly what she said....but here I am.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:If we are readin into tweets, can we read anything into the players will remain in Kingston to hang banners? Does that mean he won't try to strip the program for parts on his way out of town? Or are we to the point where he doesn't have the credibility for us to buy anything into what he said?
Same exact inner dialogue I had. If anyone follows him, it's probably Fatts. Though I imagine he will encourage him to stay with us.
Cox was the lead on Fatts. Been on him since 8th grade.
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

rhodysurf wrote:
bigappleram wrote:To continue the gag fest...in UConn's release about the hiring Dan is quoted as calling UConn "One of the best public universities in the country."
Are you F-ing kidding me. Let me know the next time a student, based on academic standards, chooses UConn over UVa, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA. Hell even UVM has a better academic reputation for a state university within the New England region.
Exactly. A UConn degree isn't holding much more water than any other New England University is.
Even Maine?

I keeeed! Go Bears!
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

pretty hard to believe the Oklahoma game was just a week ago...that was a better time
Clapton is God
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I have to applaud Dr. Dooley and Thorr for the great offer they made DH. It was an offer that was fair based on his accomplishments and kept our program growing. And our program will keep growing as the practice facility is moving forward. The next coach will have no doubts about expectations. NCAA OR BUST.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

section(105) wrote:.....initial buyers remorse....?.......what would Rod have say about this whole thing?
Rod started to come around after some incidents with the staff and having Andrea unfriended him on social media.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

http://wpri.com/2018/03/22/dan-hurley-d ... for-uconn/

Dan endorses Cox again in the interview.
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

DC_Rams wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
Cox was the lead on Fatts. Been on him since 8th grade.

If I've read the rule correctly, Fatts (or any other Ram for that matter) could transfer anywhere and play right away...except for UCONN where he would have to sit out a year.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

If Rod was here right now he’d be saying “I just got off the phone with Preston and...............

GO RHODY!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Wish Rod was here for his insight and thoughts

Miss you Rod
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I appreciate what Hurley did here. But it bothers me that he knew he was going to UConn no matter what URI’s offer was (and possibly even before the season ended). He was surprised by URI’s offer. He’s going to be even more surprised when URI becomes the top brand in New England.