The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

jcru wrote:I don't care if you say that my opinions suck. You are entitled to your opinion, I would never say otherwise , to anyone.

But you called me a troll and then ATP "Liked" it. If you don't want me around, just say so. Seriously, I won't be the first 20+ year fan on the internet to be run off of KeaneyBlue. I don't see Ben Rowlett around here anymore. Rod is dead. Maybe this has passed me by. But, just drop the nonsense and come right out and say what you want.
walk like a duck, quack like a duck...
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote:I don't care if you say that my opinions suck. You are entitled to your opinion, I would never say otherwise , to anyone.

But you called me a troll and then ATP "Liked" it. If you don't want me around, just say so. Seriously, I won't be the first 20+ year fan on the internet to be run off of KeaneyBlue. I don't see Ben Rowlett around here anymore. Rod is dead. Maybe this has passed me by. But, just drop the nonsense and come right out and say what you want.
Man, you come in here being all kinds of antagonistic towards everybody then follow it up with this sensitive stuff? Nothing makes me happier than when posters who went away for a while come back. Nobody made a more grand reentrance than reef a few years ago. Giovanni left for a bit and came back. We have lots of people who do that and are welcomed. We also have lots of people who offer dissenting opinions. But when you come back after a hiatus into a situation like this and begin shitting on the consensus view shared basically by all the plugged-in knowledgeable people here and insulting them for that view, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that it doesn't go over well.

If you want to have a calm, reasonable discussion in which you put forth an argument for another point of view and are taking the time to listen to and understand the other side, that will be welcome any time.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

jcru wrote:Ben, and I met him before I actually started posting at Projo at a off season practice where we watched Lamar and T-Bell for the first time, was a great, rabid fan, like Blue Man. And some of things that were said to him were appalling. I mean, I realize he didn't react well to a lot of it, but that should have never happened to anyone, the personal attacks he got.

Rod, I know about.

I was away, because of life. I have a son who will be two next month and he consumes all of my time. It's not because I didn't care about the team.

But, anyway, I'll just bow out. Good luck to you guys, and I mean that. No hard feelings, ok?

Please don't leave. URI needs more passionate fans such as yourself.

Consider that today is a very emotional day for all Rhody fans and people are on edge. Some of your posted thoughts on this day may not be shared by a lot here. You however have every right to express your opinion just as others do to disagree.

I myself have been previously skewered by some here for having the opinion that a dedicated basketball practice facility was eventually needed. Some didn't like to be made aware of what other schools were building with UConn being one of them. My main concern was that such a facility was need for recruiting purposes. It turns out, it was also likely an even more important pressing factor in keeping and attracting good coaches.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:
jcru wrote:Ben, and I met him before I actually started posting at Projo at a off season practice where we watched Lamar and T-Bell for the first time, was a great, rabid fan, like Blue Man. And some of things that were said to him were appalling. I mean, I realize he didn't react well to a lot of it, but that should have never happened to anyone, the personal attacks he got.

Rod, I know about.

I was away, because of life. I have a son who will be two next month and he consumes all of my time. It's not because I didn't care about the team.

But, anyway, I'll just bow out. Good luck to you guys, and I mean that. No hard feelings, ok?

Consider that today is a very emotional day for all Rhody fans and people are on edge. Some of your posted thoughts on this day may not be shared by a lot here. You however have every right to express your opinion just as others do to disagree.
also, thicker skin will help a ton.

everyone gets the target eventually, just gotta fight through it and move on. No one on here has been universally accepted and no one will. We fight, we make comments, we battle on subjects...such is being a fan.

cant take any of it to heart
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

So I was wrong - Norlander's piece on Hurley from February wasn't JUST a media consultant's setup for Hurley to get it out there that he was sane enough for a better job. It was ALSO so Norlander could get some material for his Hurley Takes UConn Job piece.

I'm actually much more fine with Hurley moving on and going forward with Dooley, Thorr, Cox and these players than I am with the feeling that is seeping in about how long all of this was in motion for. Fuck Jim Calhoun, Fuck Tom Moore, Fuck Matt Norlander, Fuck Davey Benedict.

I'd like to volunteer for Kevin Ollie's legal team to make sure he can squeeze every last penny out of these trashbags. Make things as tight and miserable and broken in Storrs as possible. Dan won't mind, he "loves broke things and loves fixing shit." Call me, Kev.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I'm sorry, but didn't people close to Hurley always claim that he wanted no part of another rebuild? Am I imagining that?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
So I was wrong - Norlander's piece on Hurley from February wasn't JUST a media consultant's setup for Hurley to get it out there that he was sane enough for a better job. It was ALSO so Norlander could get some material for his Hurley Takes UConn Job piece.
It was hard not to read this and get the feeling it was written for like weeks, right?
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Not basketball but here is what Mark Richt said about taking new jobs and leveraging offers for more $$$. Seems pretty applicable.

“But I never let it get to a point where I talk to them about the job,” Richt said. “It’s happened my whole career. I never once have tried to leverage another job for more money. I don’t think that’s right. The day we took the job, my mentality has always been, ‘If you’re the head coach, too many lives depend on you.’ If I just say on a whim, ‘You know, I think I’d rather go here,’ well, all these recruits you said something to, all these coaches you said something to, what about them?

“Every time you hire a coach, you’re taking the coach, his wife and his kids on an adventure. They’re trusting you and believing in you enough to become a staff member. I don’t want to just walk into a room and say, ‘Hey, guys, thanks for helping me get to where I really want to be.’ It’s the same thing with these kids. They’ve had enough disappointment, enough men leave their lives. You’re trying to build trust, and then you bolt on them because of money or because of whatever? I’ve just never been able to get past that part of it.”
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
I'm sorry, but didn't people close to Hurley always claim that he wanted no part of another rebuild? Am I imagining that?
You are not imagining that. I guess one could argue UConn isn't exactly a rebuild though, given the resources and infrastructure in place there. They are down right now for sure, and the conference brings along some question marks, but I still don't know that I would call it a rebuild. Just depends on your definition I guess.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
You are not imagining that. I guess one could argue UConn isn't exactly a rebuild though, given the resources and infrastructure in place there. They are down right now for sure, and the conference brings along some question marks, but I still don't know that I would call it a rebuild. Just depends on your definition I guess.

Let's revisit that thought two years from now.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
90% of what Hurley has said has turned out to be false.

Never wanted another rebuild, family, Gonzaga Of the east, etc.

Also, everything he wanted / asked for was offered to him by Thorr.

I can’t blame him for taking the job, but we all can get pissed at the BS he spewed to us these last couple of years only to turn his back on everything he said.
Last edited by Rhody15 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

TruePoint wrote:

I'm actually much more fine with Hurley moving on and going forward with Dooley, Thorr, Cox and these players than I am with the feeling that is seeping in about how long all of this was in motion for. Fuck Jim Calhoun, Fuck Tom Moore, Fuck Matt Norlander, Fuck Davey Benedict.

I'd like to volunteer for Kevin Ollie's legal team to make sure he can squeeze every last penny out of these trashbags. Make things as tight and miserable and broken in Storrs as possible. Dan won't mind, he "loves broke things and loves fixing shit." Call me, Kev.
From the piece:
"He'd forgotten how or when, but at some point Hurley figured he must have spent the $10 on a soda and some candy. So for the next 10 minutes, 35-year-old Danny Hurley stood in the cold and peddled for spare change from strangers who pulled into the gas station.

"I never had any money," Hurley said. "Me and my wife never had any money. We were always broke. Always. One of the reasons at the end that I [went to] college was that."

An embarrassing moment at a Pennsylvania gas station sparked him toward getting a job at Wagner in 2010, which then turned into another at Rhode Island in 2012. Danny Hurley goes by Dan to most now, and on Thursday, he agreed to a six-year contract worth in the neighborhood of $3 million annually to coach the four-time national champion Connecticut Huskies."
I'm not sure if I should cringe or gag. Holy wow. This is hot trash.

Now we are creating the character of broke, blue collar guy that would of course follow the money because that's the American dream! Get. The. Fuck. Outtahere.

No mention of how UConn lowballed their initial offer thinking URI couldn't compete? Or how we then matched it. Seriously, get the fuck out of here.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rod, I know about.

Nope.

Opinions of Rhody fans with a little understanding of history wanted by this guy. these kids around here have no clue what I’m talking about most of the time.

Keep firing!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To continue the gag fest...in UConn's release about the hiring Dan is quoted as calling UConn "One of the best public universities in the country."
Are you F-ing kidding me. Let me know the next time a student, based on academic standards, chooses UConn over UVa, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA. Hell even UVM has a better academic reputation for a state university within the New England region.

Here is the million dollar question we probably will never have an answer to....over the last 24 hours following meeting with URI was Dan truly torn about the decision, or was he working to re-frame the narrative bc saying URI wasn't willing to invest would not hold any weight given the counter. No matter how you cut it he has proven to be adept at managing perception and framing the narrative.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:To continue the gag fest...in UConn's release about the hiring Dan is quoted as calling UConn "One of the best public universities in the country."
Are you F-ing kidding me. Let me know the next time a student, based on academic standards, chooses UConn over UVa, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA. Hell even UVM has a better academic reputation for a state university within the New England region.

Here is the million dollar question we probably will never have an answer to....over the last 24 hours following meeting with URI was Dan truly torn about the decision, or was he working to re-frame the narrative bc saying URI wasn't willing to invest would not hold any weight given the counter. No matter how you cut it he has proven to be adept at managing perception and framing the narrative.
As I've said all along... this play for Hurley is way bigger than UConn basketball. With Geno on his way to retirement and the state in the shitter, they are trying to do anything they can to sustain. It won't work. Sorry, not sorry.

Regarding the last 24 hours, the way this all played out, I'm fairly certain it was the latter and not the former. The longer we get into the afternoon and the more I piece it together the more it makes sense that this had traction for weeks and the initial reports were actually accurate. It was a done deal before anyone knew there WAS a deal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Have been looking forward to his press conference since about midnight last night for that very reason, BAR. I don't think we will know exactly what he was thinking, but I'm curious how he will answer those questions that are sure to come. I think I have a better feel for interpreting whatever he says now than I did a week ago.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:

Let's revisit that thought two years from now.
I agree, it very well could change in a couple years.
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

bigappleram wrote:To continue the gag fest...in UConn's release about the hiring Dan is quoted as calling UConn "One of the best public universities in the country."

THIS. I'm not a conspiracy guy, but holy shit does it look a lot like that was the case. If I recall, wasn't the original plan to move quickly after 1-day of hibernation and have an answer sometime later on Tuesday?

- Was Pitt ever a factor or did UConn up their offer because of Rhody's surprisingly aggressive offer?

- The article talks about the AAC like it's the new Big East in-waiting. GTFO

- I'll say this: If we retain Harris/Fatts/Jeff and nail the coach hire (No secrets here, I hope it's Cox), then Rhody and Thorr will come up looking roses on this. The program stepped up to the plate.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Exactly. A UConn degree isn't holding much more water than any other New England University is.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Score one for the lack of trust in anything and everything right now. According to all metrics, people in general have a record low trust of media, institutions, companies and even people. Days like today add fuel to that argument.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote:
Exactly. A UConn degree isn't holding much more water than any other New England University is.
He's just changing the narrative to find new white space. Next we will hear Storrs is a better place to live than Narragansett :lol: :lol: :lol:
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote:Score one for the lack of trust in anything and everything right now. According to all metrics, people in general have a record low trust of media, institutions, companies and even people. Days like today add fuel to that argument.
Man, you are on it today. Right there with you. That was my exact take when I woke up to the news. I thought, "Well, even the good guys are just villains that talk a better game nowadays."
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

What are we doing at this very moment to secure our recruits? Immediate action needs to take place now. Extremely important.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Tom98 wrote:What are we doing at this very moment to secure our recruits? Immediate action needs to take place now. Extremely important.
Based on Twitter activity at least, there has been some kind of communication between the organization and some of our players. Those that have spoken up seem generally unfazed and surprisingly prepared for the news. Jermaine Harris is the only question mark that's popped up as his coach said something along the lines that they will not do anything, "irrational."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There is not much that can be done except to assure them we will be hiring a new coach in the next 1-2 weeks and he will be a great coach.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

the_one_mike wrote:
bigappleram wrote:Score one for the lack of trust in anything and everything right now. According to all metrics, people in general have a record low trust of media, institutions, companies and even people. Days like today add fuel to that argument.
Man, you are on it today. Right there with you. That was my exact take when I woke up to the news. I thought, "Well, even the good guys are just villains that talk a better game nowadays."
Right ???

People’s word is garbage nowadays
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I say if you support Cox, Show your support for him on twitter and push the agenda so Thorn hears from the most rabid of URI fans. I recall doing that 6 years ago and running into Thorr, and telling him I was one of the crazies on Twitter promoting Dan’s arrival, and he said he actually read through a lot of that stuff....I say you do that for whomever your choice may be, but I stand by Cox, but in the end I am a Rhody lifer and will support whoever the admin hires.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

mstyles22 wrote:

THIS. I'm not a conspiracy guy, but holy shit does it look a lot like that was the case. If I recall, wasn't the original plan to move quickly after 1-day of hibernation and have an answer sometime later on Tuesday?

- Was Pitt ever a factor or did UConn up their offer because of Rhody's surprisingly aggressive offer?

- I'll say this: If we retain Harris/Fatts/Jeff and nail the coach hire (No secrets here, I hope it's Cox), then Rhody and Thorr will come up looking roses on this. The program stepped up to the plate.
I'm not a conspiracy guy either, but as soon as I saw local TV guys with the "per sources, URI just needs to make an adequate offer" tweets I already felt like I was in the spin zone. And when I actually heard details about URI's offer yesterday morning and there was no "and Hurley immediately accepted" at the end of it then that crystallized it for me. Then a million other pieces started to come back to me like the last scene of an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Calhoun at the practices, Moore's UConn felating in his interview with Iggy, Norlander's piece, Ace's odd and random post gushing over the AAC a few weeks back. New posters showing up to suggest there was something going on behind the scenes after the Senior Night debacle.

I don't want to say I don't care, because I wanted URI to keep Hurley and I had no intention of being mad about him leaving. This is part of the business of college basketball and I want to move on with the people that want to be here to continue to build this thing. But for everything great Dan did here and all that we owe him, the way this seems to have gone down leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me think less of Dan as a character guy.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

the_one_mike wrote:From the piece:
"He'd forgotten how or when, but at some point Hurley figured he must have spent the $10 on a soda and some candy. So for the next 10 minutes, 35-year-old Danny Hurley stood in the cold and peddled for spare change from strangers who pulled into the gas station.

"I never had any money," Hurley said. "Me and my wife never had any money. We were always broke. Always. One of the reasons at the end that I [went to] college was that."

An embarrassing moment at a Pennsylvania gas station sparked him toward getting a job at Wagner in 2010, which then turned into another at Rhode Island in 2012. Danny Hurley goes by Dan to most now, and on Thursday, he agreed to a six-year contract worth in the neighborhood of $3 million annually to coach the four-time national champion Connecticut Huskies."
I'm not sure if I should cringe or gag. Holy wow. This is hot trash.

Now we are creating the character of broke, blue collar guy that would of course follow the money because that's the American dream! Get. The. Fuck. Outtahere.

No mention of how UConn lowballed their initial offer thinking URI couldn't compete? Or how we then matched it. Seriously, get the fuck out of here.
I had stopped before what you quoted, couldn't Wade through muck that deep. Reading what you posted made me glad I did
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think he made a mistake if I am him I stay at URI for 2 more years Top 30 recruiting class coming in next year is a bubble NCAA team then year after could be our best team ever with Dowtin Cyril seniors Fatts junior and the top recruiting class Soph
Then leave for a better job than UConn P5
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This is all starting to smell like Parcells....

uConn vs $2m ann from Rhody and buncha other hot jobs popping open?

Fishy fishay!!

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
mstyles22 wrote:

I'm not a conspiracy guy either, but as soon as I saw local TV guys with the "per sources, URI just needs to make an adequate offer" tweets I already felt like I was in the spin zone. And when I actually heard details about URI's offer yesterday morning and there was no "and Hurley immediately accepted" at the end of it then that crystallized it for me. Then a million other pieces started to come back to me like the last scene of an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Calhoun at the practices, Moore's UConn felating in his interview with Iggy, Norlander's piece, Ace's odd and random post gushing over the AAC a few weeks back. New posters showing up to suggest there was something going on behind the scenes after the Senior Night debacle.

I don't want to say I don't care, because I wanted URI to keep Hurley and I had no intention of being mad about him leaving. This is part of the business of college basketball and I want to move on with the people that want to be here to continue to build this thing. But for everything great Dan did here and all that we owe him, the way this seems to have gone down leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me think less of Dan as a character guy.
Oh he's a character guy, alright. He's learned the media can make him whatever CHARACTER he wants to be.
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Rhody15 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:
90% of what Hurley has said has turned out to be false.

Never wanted another rebuild, family, Gonzaga Of the east, etc.

Also, everything he wanted / asked for was offered to him by Thorr.

I can’t blame him for taking the job, but we all can get pissed at the BS he spewed to us these last couple of years only to turn his back on everything he said.
True statement
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

So, I wake up to this news, the stock market crashes (I wonder if it's related) and now I'm waiting for
K State to lose tonight to end a totally horrible day.

PS to jcru
Hope you don't leave this board. Different opinions is what makes this board great.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will Ace be a fixture on the UConn board now ??
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:

Rod, I know about.

I myself have been previously skewered by some here for having the opinion that a dedicated basketball practice facility was eventually needed. Some didn't like to be made aware of what other schools were building with UConn being one of them. My main concern was that such a facility was need for recruiting purposes. It turns out, it was also likely an even more important pressing factor in keeping and attracting good coaches.
I agree, stick around. Dissenting opinion is good.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

reef wrote:Will Ace be a fixture on the UConn board now ??
Certainly doesn't appear interested in posting here anymore. :lol:
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I got flak a week ago but things just didn't add up. Uconn doesn't come out strong the way they did without knowing the outcome. Tom Moore and Calhoun all over DH. Multiple other things.

THE COACHES SHOW BASICALLY DISSOLVING. All the old outreach stuff died the past year.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

adam914 wrote:

Great. And as soon as he leaves UConn he's going to be just like Penders and Harrick and say he wished he'd never had left. Fat lot of good that does us
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

I lurk all the time and post rarely......
This question is off topic but I have not been able to figure out based upon board activity...
Who is Ace? I have seen her mentioned in several posts and she seems to be well respected and/or plugged into the Hurley's and college hoops.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote:

Alright all is forgiven! I don't like seeing people choked up! Thanks for the titles man!

On a lesser note, isn't the career and not the family that is more important in this decision?
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Great. And as soon as he leaves UConn he's going to be just like Penders and Harrick and say he wished he'd never had left. Fat lot of good that does us
You can add Odom to that list, granted he was a player. He has been quoted saying not coming back to URI for another season was the biggest mistake of his life.

This is a man that smoked crack and married a Kardashian.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
adam914 wrote:

You can add Odom to that list, granted he was a player. He has been quoted saying not coming back to URI for another season was the biggest mistake of his life.

This is the hardest I've laughed in the last 8 hours. Thank you.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:Will Ace be a fixture on the UConn board now ??
Well. duhh....of course....."family" sticks together, right? (ATP, seriously, how do we get that vomit emoji installed?)
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
This is the hardest I've laughed in the last 8 hours. Thank you.
The real question is...which one caused the other...?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote:

And again let's call BS - 2 weeks ago he said coaches should stop worrying about their careers and start worrying about being teachers and educators. He should have ended the quote at "what's best for my family"...which even that I doubt is true bc besides the financials i can't imagine his kid is excited about going to a new high school nor his wife excited about moving to bumblefuck CT instead of Narragansett Beach.
As Chris Rock said, in America the only god we know is the ATM.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Yea I think I’m going to need a shower after that interview.

GO RHODY!
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Blue Man wrote:This is the hardest I've laughed in the last 8 hours. Thank you.
In the darkness there shall be LIGHT!

I stand by what I said before this debacle. It is a much bigger hill in front of us now but if we pull the right strings, we have a chance to be better next year than this year.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK. Coach Cox along with Dowtin, Fatts, and newcomer Harris lead Rhody back to the round of 32 out of the 8 seed. THAT, my friends, is my, "what the fuck are you even talking about," way-too-early, based in little-to-no facts prediction for next year.