The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by xcrun »

TruePoint wrote:Anyone want to try to predict who will break this when it finally breaks?

ETA: was thinking media, not board member, although if it is a board member who has the reputation to break it and have people believe it, I will credit that if it turns out correct.
Make a poll!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Yup, Zags or Rothstein. No one else.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

xcrun wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Anyone want to try to predict who will break this when it finally breaks?

ETA: was thinking media, not board member, although if it is a board member who has the reputation to break it and have people believe it, I will credit that if it turns out correct.
Make a poll!
Someone else can. I am making healthy dinner...I am off the pizza for a little bit. Bastards.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Zags and Rothstein are good and somewhat obvious guesses. Wondering if it could be a local if he stays.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Zags or Goodman
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rothstein with the break...
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The numbers of guests browsing this board is declining.

I guess a number of them have died of old age.

If I knew how, I'd post a video of Judge Smails in the movie Caddyshack saying "We're WAITING!"
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

I hate UCONN twitter folks
Last edited by xcrun 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

rambone 78 wrote:The numbers of guests browsing this board is declining.

If I knew how, I'd post a video of Judge Smails in the movie Caddyshack saying "We're WAITING!"
They're commuting home
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jeez Bone, everyone is eating pizza right now. PRIORITIES!!!!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I will jump into the pizza debate now....

John's on Bleecker hands down for NYC
Original Pepe's or Modern for CT
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

My money is on Zags
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

bigappleram wrote:I will jump into the pizza debate now....

John's on Bleeker is definitely the best. I was first told about that by a URI professor.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

A player could also break it
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

I haven't been following this as closely as I should have, what's the latest?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

we've been talkin about pizza....nothing to see here.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
OldSchoolRhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OldSchoolRhody »

Good read. Can’t see him taking Pitt. This might drag on for a while as other schools open up.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron- ... 1803210087
Last edited by OldSchoolRhody 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're... We're going streaking! We're going up down the quad and to the gymnasium! Who is in? Let's Go Rhody!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

bigappleram wrote:I will jump into the pizza debate now....

Original Pepe's, no doubt
theblueram
Frank Keaney

mjg13x wrote:I haven't been following this as closely as I should have, what's the latest?
start on page one. When you get to your current post, we still won't have an answer
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From article

Don't rule out Hurley remaining at URI.
Hurley has enjoyed his time at Rhode Island, becoming the first coach in program history to lead the Rams to NCAA tournament wins in consecutive seasons. He's grown very close to his players there. He also has a terrific recruiting class coming in next season. He's won 51 games in the last two years, including going 26-8 and capturing an A-10 regular season title this season.
URI could entice Hurley to stay by offering some upgrades, like practice facility improvements and more charter flights.

https://www.theday.com/uconn-sports/201 ... -wednesday
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

thanks 57!
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Mark Macon »

Pitt REALLY wants Danny.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

I like the idea that we are teaching Pitt and UConn fans a serious lesson about coming to this board for answers. Well done everybody.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

I would guess Zagoria, hes usually DHs mouthpiece
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Mark Macon wrote:Pitt REALLY wants Danny.
Dan, take the $2.5 Billion!
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
theblueram wrote:
The state has lost control of the University. With a 9% contribution, they don't have much leverage anymore.
Lol. The state has total control of the University. RIBGHE controls 100% of how the budget is spent, regardless of what is contributed.
Which is total BS. The state wants to treat us as a private institution and poorly support us, until it's time we try to do something proactive and good with the measly 9%. It's a joke.

Unfortunately, URI couldn't even try to become a private institution. One key thing (as I'm sure a plethora of others) is it is state-owned land at the university, a "private" URI would have to buy the land back from the state (or lease it out?). Can only imagine what that would do to tuition.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Frankly, when I read Boeheim's comments about how Pitt ran Jamie Dixon out of town, not satisfied with 8 straight NCAA appearances... I have no sympathy for Pitt, and that would be a big red flag for me if I were in Hurley's shoes
Rhodymadness401
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodymadness401 »

If DH decides to leave, and David Cox doesn't get the job we would lose all Fatts, Jeff (who DC recruited) Cyril and the entire incoming 2018 top 25 class. Jermaine Harris, Brendon Adams, Tyrese Martin (who DC recruited) and Dana Tate.

Life goes on, although Im not wishing that he leaves we all love him, but at some point you have to face the fact that he has dreams of coaching at a higher level.

The plan moving forward should be how do we maintain the momentum build by DH. David Cox is the only person who can keep this team intact if you think other wise your fooling yourself.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow, you think, Zags?!? Milking this to the maximum.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote:I'm on the phone with Kingston pizza right now.
.......let me add Kingston to Twisted on the anything but list.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodymadness401 wrote:If DH decides to leave, and David Cox doesn't get the job we would lose all Fatts, Jeff (who DC recruited) Cyril and the entire incoming 2018 top 25 class. Jermaine Harris, Brendon Adams, Tyrese Martin (who DC recruited) and Dana Tate.

Life goes on, although Im not wishing that he leaves we all love him, but at some point you have to face the fact that he has dreams of coaching at a higher level.

The plan moving forward should be how do we maintain the momentum build by DH. David Cox is the only person who can keep this team intact if you think other wise your fooling yourself.
Thanks for your 11th post
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Uconn trolls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
I guess you went to school before Kingston existed. They fed us like no tomorrow when I was on campus. For that, I'm a fan for life.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhodymadness401 wrote:If DH decides to leave, and David Cox doesn't get the job we would lose all Fatts, Jeff (who DC recruited) Cyril and the entire incoming 2018 top 25 class. Jermaine Harris, Brendon Adams, Tyrese Martin (who DC recruited) and Dana Tate.
I'm not going to comment about this, one way or the other, until we get a definitive answer on Hurley. Out of respect for Hurley and the players, both here and recruited.

Hopefully, he'll stay and a comment won't be necessary, but if he leaves, then I'll definitely chime in with an opinion. This is where we would really miss Rod's experience and wisdom, in my opinion, which is very unfortunate.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Nothing has really been 'reported' for several days...so...45 minutes shouldn't be a problem... :lol:
It was reported that you like beer and I like hot dogs.
And that CT traffic AND pizza suck.
And the B of T attorney likes ham.

Billy likes soda
Miss Lippy's car is green

HAHA! Is this before or after the Dodge Ball scene where Miss Lippy applies paste to her face? What a great movie!

Also, I know for the most part, we aren't fans of the General Assembly on this board, but I will proudly say that my State Representative is VERY pro Rhody. Also, as much as I'd want pizza for dinner after reading this thread and all ob KB'ers pizza recommendations the past 24+ hours-- I am about to put some ground turkey on the stove and make some tacos.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote:
section(105) wrote:
I guess you went to school before Kingston existed. They fed us like no tomorrow when I was on campus. For that, I'm a fan for life.
.......Yes, old like dirt.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

The worst reason to hire Cox. Just a sugar rush. This would be a pretty hot job and, with a little tournament money should field a lot of quality candidates. Hire the best one and have them sell the roster and recruits. Whoever doesn't want to get on board, give them their release. Hire the best. Maybe that is Cox but I am fine with it if it's not.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You said it. If you knew Rod at all, you know how he would vote here. I HATE that his opinion won't be represented for the next search. He had a stronger voice than any of us, and could sway matters. We'll have to be that voice now, for him
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:

The worst reason to hire Cox. Just a sugar rush. This would be a pretty hot job and, with a little tournament money should field a lot of quality candidates. Hire the best one and have them sell the roster and recruits. Whoever doesn't want to get on board, give them their release. Hire the best. Maybe that is Cox but I am fine with it if it's not.
Just so we are clear, URI is willing to pay nearly $2 million a year. I think there are A LOT of options for another coach if that time comes.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote:You said it. If you knew Rod at all, you know how he would vote here. I HATE that his opinion won't be represented for the next search. He had a stronger voice than any of us, and could sway matters. We'll have to be that voice now, for him

Cuts like a knife. I miss seeing Rod's posts on the board.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

My guess is this means a whole lotta nothing, but...

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, I didn't know he was gone. I came on here a few days ago thinking... well, no matter what happens, they have Rod to help, they'll be fine.

I feel horrible not knowing.

I first met Rod on the Projo board, he came on like gangbusters after the fact, after they hired Jerry D. And at the first sign of trouble he was livid. I really believe if he had found that board before Harrick left, things might have turned out differently.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I saw your post dre! Why the deletion?
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Look people, maybe looking at the tea leaves....do we want this to continue year after year not knowing if we will lose our coach?

If this drags on without an answer for a few days...you have to think that Dan is waiting for one of the jobs he REALLY wants to come open.

It's not that he doesn't want to coach here anymore either.

He's used his leverage to get URI to commit to REALLY improving and upgrading the program. There's no turning back on URI's part now.

In a way he got what he wanted...URI to build their program to a sustainable high level. He did it.

It's just that he has higher goals than URI can achieve, at least in the conference they are currently in.

So it's a win-win for both parties. Now if Dan does leave and URI hires Cox, with any luck we won't miss a beat and continue to be good without any appreciable drop off. if URI hires someone else, yes we take a big step back in talent, but we are in a good position to recover, with a strong infrastructure. And we should be able to get a very good next coach with what we can offer him.

It's the next best thing if Dan does leave. It's going to happen some time anyway....we and URI will owe him a huge debt of gratitude.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:My guess is this means a whole lotta nothing, but...

To me it means a decision hasn't been made. No need to meet if he doesn't know
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gonebarongone wrote:

That is most definitely Cox. This isn't a Jerry D situation. He's a proven tactician and recruiter. Look up the team's record on games that he had the scout for.

I still don't think we need to worry about this scenario though. Either way it's foolish to believe that there is another lower tier or mid-major coach who is that much more qualified or capable to run this program over Dave.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Not sure if it was for the public... should have double checked first. But it is indeed fact