The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Dre3000 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:we are all getting worked up over this decision like once it is made, there will be peace and calm throughout Kingston until next year at this time. who doesn't think we will go through this all again if Willard leaves SH for Pitt or Mack leaves X for Louisville? Do you think Dan won't explore those opportunities any more than he is CT and Pitt now? IMHO...any commitment Dan makes to URI will not be worth the paper it's written on. I don't think this is over today, tomorrow or next week...

hope I'm wrong...
Very true, it will be a long off season!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Hurley Show wrote:I am short sighted, just want him to stay for next year. I will worry about the following year after that.

those other opportunities could be open now...not a year from now.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

No, the $3m personal compensation will not "do it". Incorrect.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhodyRam86 wrote:we are all getting worked up over this decision like once it is made, there will be peace and calm throughout Kingston until next year at this time. who doesn't think we will go through this all again if Willard leaves SH for Pitt or Mack leaves X for Louisville? Do you think Dan won't explore those opportunities any more than he is CT and Pitt now? IMHO...any commitment Dan makes to URI will not be worth the paper it's written on. I don't think this is over today, tomorrow or next week...

hope I'm wrong...
Everyone knows what the deal is. If he would stay here until he retires, I think most of us would be happy to have him. But that is likely not reality. Still, the longer we can keep him as coach, the better, more stable, more sustainable the program will be.

And guess what, when the day comes that he does leave, whether that is today, tomorrow, a year from now or five years from now, we will be right back in the pool trying to find the coach that will give us the best chance to continue to grow, even if we think that coach might leave in three years. I'd sign up for that over a coach that will not draw any interest to coach anywhere else for a decade-plus. Been there, done that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ATPTourFan wrote:OMG no way on Seton Hall. Why exactly?
First, Willard would have to leave...so unless Willard is leaving, then Seton Hall won't need a coach. But the logical draw is DH went there as we all know. So of course that would be the #1 threat in theory without any knowledge of if he'd ever want to go back.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:No, the $3m personal compensation will not "do it". Incorrect.
If that is even remotely accurate, which I have a hard time buying.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If Dan announces he's staying, he needs to also say he's here next season and will not entertain any more offers.....

Yeah and I know I'm dreaming....if after this we have to go through another ordeal with X or Seton Hall or who knows the fuck else?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm really not in the mood to lose twice in a week to ACC teams. (guess Pitt would know bout that though)
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Williard is a Pitt alum, if they whiff on DH, he may opt to leave.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:

hope I'm wrong...
Everyone knows what the deal is. If he would stay here until he retires, I think most of us would be happy to have him. But that is likely not reality. Still, the longer we can keep him as coach, the better, more stable, more sustainable the program will be.

And guess what, when the day comes that he does leave, whether that is today, tomorrow, a year from now or five years from now, we will be right back in the pool trying to find the coach that will give us the best chance to continue to grow, even if we think that coach might leave in three years. I'd sign up for that over a coach that will not draw any interest to coach anywhere else for a decade-plus. Been there, done that.

TP I get that if he stays we will deal with this every year. All I'm saying, is that even if he says he is staying now and passes on UCONN and Pitt, this is not over by a long shot. There is no guarantee that just because he signs an extension with URI today, that he will be on the URI bench in November. Until the entire puzzle is put together, we will all be sweating out who will be coaching this team in 18/19.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Willard has a pretty good gig where he is.....not every coach wants to climb that ladder.

Listen, at some point here DH has to put the rumors to rest, at least to his inner circle...you can't have constant instability around your program.....players and staff have to know you're going to be around for a while.

If he stays how is he going to recruit this spring with job rumors flying around all the time?
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Dunno about all this Coaching Carousel BS but this guy is having pizza tonight !!

FKNA!!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rambone 78 wrote:If Dan announces he's staying, he needs to also say he's here next season and will not entertain any more offers.....

Yeah and I know I'm dreaming....if after this we have to go through another ordeal with X or Seton Hall or who knows the fuck else?
He does not need to say that, and he will not say it so don’t be disappointed when he doesn’t.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
First, Willard would have to leave...so unless Willard is leaving, then Seton Hall won't need a coach. But the logical draw is DH went there as we all know. So of course that would be the #1 threat in theory without any knowledge of if he'd ever want to go back.
SH is not in play.

"One more big job" Seton Hall fails this. It ONLY gets consideration (from media and fans) because Dan & Andrea went there (and son Daniel goes there now). That is a low-effort association.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One of his sons is a student there, that would be a serious draw
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Negative
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

hope I'm wrong...

TP I get that if he stays we will deal with this every year. All I'm saying, is that even if he says he is staying now and passes on UCONN and Pitt, this is not over by a long shot. There is no guarantee that just because he signs an extension with URI today, that he will be on the URI bench in November. Until the entire puzzle is put together, we will all be sweating out who will be coaching this team in 18/19.
He is under contract with URI right now. I think if he announces a new deal at URI, he will be on the URI bench next year. If he just publicly removes himself from consideration for the UConn and Pitt jobs without the announcement of an extension with URI, then maybe what you're saying is in play.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI is going to want him to sign the contract if he spurns the other offers.

Of course that doesn't mean much...I think Alford at one point signed an extension and went somewhere else the next day I think.
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
SH is not in play.

"One more big job" Seton Hall fails this. It ONLY gets consideration (from media and fans) because Dan & Andrea went there (and son Daniel goes there now). That is a low-effort association.
He would absolutely be interested in SH. It's more than just the reasons you mentioned. It's in a conference where 7/10 teams have a good chance of making the tourney. And at a school coming off of 3 straight tourney appearances.

Add that with the fact it's as close as could be to Andrea's parents (a big factor in why Pitt is not the front runner). Seton Hall would get serious consideration.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Maybe Thorr & Dooley are waiting for responses from big donors to help seal the deal...
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

rambone 78 wrote:URI is going to want him to sign the contract if he spurns the other offers.

Of course that doesn't mean much...I think Alford at one point signed an extension and went somewhere else the next day I think.
Yup he had just signed a 10 yr contract at New Mexico and was out the next week.
Last edited by Dre3000 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm just waiting for Blueman's post on page 69.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Dre3000 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:URI is going to want him to sign the contract if he spurns the other offers.

Yup he had just signed a 10 yr contact at New Mexico and was out the next week.
That's low.... hope New Mexico got a big fat check from UCLA or wherever he went.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If the NCAA thinks little of UCONN violations and UCONN is unwilling to live up to their buyout agreement with Ollie, I wouldn't go near UCONN. When it ends for the next UCONN coach, the same will happen. This is UCONN's style. They sued the ACC when the ACC accepted teams from the old Big East, which caused UCONN to be blackballed by other conferences looking to expand which is why they are stuck in the American conference to the detriment of all their programs. The glory days of UCONN men's basketball are over for the foreseeable future.

There is a good reason for UCONN to pursue an up-and-coming DH, no established coach will go near them.
NCAAs or Bust!
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

God can we not have coaches and their kids in teams. Just no. I'm against the nepotism. Sorry.

A friend who knows a guy who once went to Storrs CT, to stop at a dunkin, said he over heard that UCONN raised their offer to 100 trillion dollars. And he gets one free crappy CT pizza per week! Man Thor is going to really have to offer unlimited clam cakes now!

This has turned into such fun hysteria.

Also rumor has it Hurley will stay if you clap enough.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

TruePoint wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
TruePoint wrote: He is under contract with URI right now. I think if he announces a new deal at URI, he will be on the URI bench next year. If he just publicly removes himself from consideration for the UConn and Pitt jobs without the announcement of an extension with URI, then maybe what you're saying is in play.
Back on topic this whole thing might end up perfect. I still say the best jobs aren’t open yet, at least publicly.

If Dan inks Rhody now it could take the better jobs out of play.

I’ve just been to the end of the Internet and the only place I can find where it’s stated DH is offered 1.7m annually and had his demands met by URI is here on KeaneyBlue.

So there’s that....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Just a thought but could DH be taking his time to see what assistants would he bring/or have?
Just a thought. I know nothing.
Last edited by Rhodysk 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RamIt! wrote:Maybe Thorr & Dooley are waiting for responses from big donors to help seal the deal...
I do not think they could have made the offer they reportedly did without having that lined up already.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

It's crazy to think he would not be interested in Seton Hall. Of course he would be. For a zillion reasons. Money would be better. Conference would be better. Home. Alum. I mean, let's be honest here.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RamIt! wrote:Maybe Thorr & Dooley are waiting for responses from big donors to help seal the deal...
That can't be the case because I already sent in my $20.18. :lol:

(I did get Club season tickets for my buddy and me too.)
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

hrstrat57 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
Back on topic this whole thing might end up perfect. I still say the best jobs aren’t open yet, at least publicly.

If Dan inks Rhody now it could take the better jobs out of play.

I’ve just been to the end of the Internet and the only place I can find where it’s stated DH is offered 1.7m annually and had his demands met by URI is here on KeaneyBlue.

So there’s that....
Agreed you haven't seen any terms put out publicly, but you have had 2 different RI based journalists put out that URI put in a strong offer.
Both Koch and Stone Freeman. Bill chooses his words wisely, I doubt he is saying that in a vacuum.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dre3000 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
SH is not in play.

He would absolutely be interested in SH. It's more than just the reasons you mentioned. It's in a conference where 7/10 teams have a good chance of making the tourney. And at a school coming off of 3 straight tourney appearances.

Add that with the fact it's as close as could be to Andrea's parents (a big factor in why Pitt is not the front runner). Seton Hall would get serious consideration.
Negative. Making the tournament is no longer the bar. The decision is to grow his brand at URI and take a truly great job, or jump ship to some other school outside his preferred set.

URI can buy him time by providing program upgrades so he can get what he really wants. He doesn't want an in-between. He wants one more.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

If that is the case, there should be a huge buyout if he moves on in 2018/2019. I understand he wouldn't sign for a huge buyout beyond that, but if they are showing good faith by giving him what he wants, it wouldn't be right for him to hold there hands over the flames for another month or two.
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Dre3000 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:
SH is not in play.

Negative. Making the tournament is no longer the bar. The decision is to grow his brand at URI and take a truly great job, or jump ship to some other school outside his preferred set.

URI can buy him time by providing program upgrades so he can get what he really wants. He doesn't want an in-between. He wants one more.
His interests and the schools should be perfectly aligned if that's his position.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Does anyone feel that if they walk away from their computer, Dan will make the call?
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Can you imagine how stressful the last 48 hours have been for Thorr. If pulls this off he will be due for a raise
Clapton is God
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:Does anyone feel that if they walk away from their computer, Dan will make the call?
That’s why I carry around an iPhone.
Slava Ukraini!
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

It's way to quiet. Even "sources" have disappeared.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Calm before the storm
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Plus Thorr and Dooley have to have contingency plans if Dan leaves.....maybe they have already decided to move Cox up?

I know the state has a hiring process, but that's been circumvented before.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

xcrun wrote:God can we not have coaches and their kids in teams. Just no. I'm against the nepotism. Sorry.

A friend who knows a guy who once went to Storrs CT, to stop at a dunkin, said he over heard that UCONN raised their offer to 100 trillion dollars. And he gets one free crappy CT pizza per week! Man Thor is going to really have to offer unlimited clam cakes now!

This has turned into such fun hysteria.

Also rumor has it Hurley will stay if you clap enough.
And don't forget to stomp feet, too.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The Louisville job is now officially open.

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another school with a lot of uncertainty about it's immediate future. Whoever they hire might have to wait a while to get out from under sanctions.

C'mon X and SH......add your names to the coaching vacancy lists now! Might as well.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Plus Thorr and Dooley have to have contingency plans if Dan leaves.....maybe they have already decided to move Cox up?

The state has lost control of the University. With a 9% contribution, they don't have much leverage anymore.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

No more rebuilds. No more bullshit.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wonder who Cox would hire for Assts.

Hopefully nothing changes. But it would be interesting to see how Cox assembles a team of coaches.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:The Louisville job is now officially open.

I think it will be interesting to see where Padgett goes...I mean, he was at Lville, which is big time, but...wasn't that team supposed to be nationally prominent this year? And make a strong NCAAT run under Pitino? I mean, I know Pitino is a better-than-most coach, but to take the team from what was anticipated, to playing in the NIT...? What kind of offers does he get? (Am guessing an asst job somewhere...but what do I know?)
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Plus Thorr and Dooley have to have contingency plans if Dan leaves.....maybe they have already decided to move Cox up?

The state has lost control of the University. With a 9% contribution, they don't have much leverage anymore.
Lol. The state has total control of the University. RIBGHE controls 100% of how the budget is spent, regardless of what is contributed.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We got half the country freaking out now. Chris Mack making a move or what?
GO RAMS