Thorr Bjorn to Remain AD at Rhode Island

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Reports: Thorr Bjorn is the new AD at Xavier

Unread post by section(105) »

Most of the state legislators couldn't pick a Hurley out of lineup of folks selling EBT cards.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I know not to expect state money, we are not PC (Dunk) or RIC (new Rec Center). However, if your football field is not as good as LaSalle Academy and your outside track is condemned, you have serious problems, and you need private money to fix the Tennis courts, baseball field, West Stands, etc.

We can only hope our basketball program brings in money. I just don't see it. Although there is lots of parity in college basketball now, the quality of the product is way down because of the 1 and done. All you have to do was watch the St. John's/Nova game last night. Basketball is a far cry from the 1990's when Temple and UMass were ranked in the top 10, and we played in the same conference as they did. We are not going to be invited the the Catholic conference, maybe we end up with a CAA type league with VCU and George Mason. You would also have to expect that after the basketball season is over this year they will be monumental changes, and the NCAA tourney as we know could eventually be history, as the power conferences will not want to share that money with the weak conferences.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That day may indeed be coming, but not for a while.

The conference shuffling will go on for a few more years to come. Once there are 4-5 major BCS type conferences in place, each with 16 teams, then something like that could happen.

Lord knows, the NCAA itself is under fire for their shoddy enforcement policies. If they don't clean it up, they could be doomed too.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

OBRAM wrote:When he was picked in 2007 or 2008 insiders of URI Athletics told me they felt that he would eventually move on, but to school with big time football like Umass.
UMass has big time football?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I still do not see anthing confirming the Thorr is gone to Xavier. Where do we know this from? From the title of this thread it sounds like it is official????? Doesn't make much sense to me at this point to be posting like this is a done deal - or am I missing something?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramster, did you miss the report from RhodyRampage.com? Check out the posts from yesterday evening onward. Apparently he has sources that say this is a done deal.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

So I'm not one to usually throw around names, but I was interested, who are the potentially candidates?

And what are your guys thoughts about Jeff Hathaway, former UCONN AD currently working at Hofstra?

He's a big basketball guy formerly serving as chairmen for the NCAA Tournament and has had a very successful career.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I know URI is a basketball school and I like to see football get better, but lets say you had a decent 10,000-15,000 football stadium, you could open up the basketball season with a game on the football field, get more people then the Dunk would hold. Now, I know it would be chancy with the weather, but if you did this the end of October, there is a 50% chance you could hold an event like that, and it would get national news attention. They put courts on aircraft carriers now.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote:I still do not see anthing confirming the Thorr is gone to Xavier. Where do we know this from? From the title of this thread it sounds like it is official????? Doesn't make much sense to me at this point to be posting like this is a done deal - or am I missing something?
IMO, nothing is official until the University announces it, which may not come for a while. But have heard (and looks like others on this board have too) from reliable folks that he has accepted the Xavier job.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Says Jeff Hathaway has a 5 year contract, or almost 4 left now, would we have to buy 4 years out?
----------------
Hathaway is signing a 5-year agreement with Hofstra University. He will begin in June 2012, at a date to be determined later this week. Eastman & Beaudine assisted in the search, and President Rabinowitz, consistent with the need for confidentiality and speed, consulted with members of the Hofstra University Board of Trustees as appropriate.
“We had an opportunity to bring Jeff to Hofstra so we moved quickly to come to an agreement,” said President Rabinowitz. “We want to thank Danny McCabe and the athletics staff for ensuring a smooth transition.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Doubtful that we'd go on an external search at all.
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Re: Thorr Bjorn Rumored to be Strong Candidate for Xavier AD

Unread post by Rambone65 »

rodfromcranston wrote:OK, some poster says, "I THINK he's from Rhody" and everyone goes nuts?
Get a grip!
This makes Cordischi's piece seem like Pulitzer Prize material.
Unfounded, and toally without merit!

I guess this was wrong? :)
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cincinnati.com says Thorr will be named AD............
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Looks like Cincinnati.com was just referring to the RhodyRampage report and has since posted and update saying people in Brooklyn today have said it to be "premature". This fits with Mike Laprey's tweet yesterday.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2013 ... -director/

Meanwhile, Projo attempted to get comment from Rhody Admins on this issue and were denied any comment:
http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... aving.html
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wow. Did not expect it to get this big. Premature to me just means pen has not hit paper yet.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Huge blow to the athletic program but I wish him only the best!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Providence Journal and Kevin McNamara could be accused of being premature as well. In today's article about PC's loss to Cincinnati, McNamara wrote that the Bearcats were headed to the NCAA Tournament. There was no probably or likely inserted itnot his comments. It was written as if it were a fact. Given that the NCAA has not yet chosen its field, I was perplexed by his words. Cinci has no automatic bid. Even its at large credentials which have it currently 22-10 with an RPI of 45 make things far from certain.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:The Providence Journal and Kevin McNamara could be accused of being premature as well. In today's article about PC's loss to Cincinnati, McNamara wrote that the Bearcats were headed to the NCAA Tournament. There was no probably or likely inserted itnot his comments. It was written as if it were a fact. Given that the NCAA has not yet chosen its field, I was perplexed by his words. Cinci has no automatic bid. Even its at large credentials which have it currently 22-10 with an RPI of 45 make things far from certain.
Your kidding, right? Talk about grasping at straws.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I like KMac, but he's such a BCS shill. Oh, wait, the Satanic 7 aren't going to be BCS.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Pretty sure Xavier will not be making an announcement during the A-10 tournament.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

My guess is that gandy is posting on the X site and is now having a good laugh at the shit he has stirred.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RF1 wrote:The Providence Journal and Kevin McNamara could be accused of being premature as well. In today's article about PC's loss to Cincinnati, McNamara wrote that the Bearcats were headed to the NCAA Tournament. There was no probably or likely inserted itnot his comments. It was written as if it were a fact. Given that the NCAA has not yet chosen its field, I was perplexed by his words. Cinci has no automatic bid. Even its at large credentials which have it currently 22-10 with an RPI of 45 make things far from certain.

I am not kidding. It is not certain that they are going until selected. Everything is just conjecture at this time. I would have had no issue if he had qualified his words with probably or likely given the odds may favor that. He is just inserting his opinion at this point with his words.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

I am not kidding. It is not certain that they are going until selected. Everything is just conjecture at this time. I would have had no issue if he had qualified his words with probably or likely given the odds may favor that. He is just inserting his opinion at this point with his words.
I highly doubt it's "his opinion." 96 of 97 bracket projections have Cincinnati in the field, most between an 8-10 seed. It would be highly unlikely at this point for Cincinnati to not make the field. I can understand and accept the fact that maybe he should have stated "Cincinnati is very likely to be in the field of 68," but is it really that big of a deal? Despite it's struggles over the past month, most wouldn't consider Cincy to be a bubble team.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: I highly doubt it's "his opinion." 96 of 97 bracket projections have Cincinnati in the field, most between an 8-10 seed. It would be highly unlikely at this point for Cincinnati to not make the field. I can understand and accept the fact that maybe he should have stated "Cincinnati is very likely to be in the field of 68," but is it really that big of a deal? Despite it's struggles over the past month, most wouldn't consider Cincy to be a bubble team.
Until the selection field is announced, it is his opinion (along with anyone making projections). I am not arguing that Cincinnati is a bubble team and will "probably" make the tourney. My argument is that it is poor journalism to present this as fact when the selection process is subjective and nothing is yet certain.

PROJECTING: To calculate, estimate, or predict (something in the future), based on present data or trends
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

So if a team was 31-0, you wouldn't say they "were in the NCAA Tournament?"
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Jesus who cares. What does this have to do with Thorr?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:Jesus who cares. What does this have to do with Thorr?
PC fans are upset that we are attacking their precious KMAC....what a surprise...
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I come back from a spring break trip to this news? I wish he would stay, and build this athletic program. So if it is all true, what are people thinking for a hire? ATP why no external search? Just curious. New to things like this, would like to get back on topic and learn how events like this go down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just shows how PC posters can hijack a thread having nothing to do with them.
RF3, go back and read this thread. Plenty of talk for Thorr's replacement.
My favorite is Daryl jasper, great personality and background.
Works and in glove with the Hurleys. Nice guy, but very saavy.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Looks like Cincinnati.com was just referring to the RhodyRampage report and has since posted and update saying people in Brooklyn today have said it to be "premature". This fits with Mike Laprey's tweet yesterday.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2013 ... -director/

Meanwhile, Projo attempted to get comment from Rhody Admins on this issue and were denied any comment:
http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... aving.html
This is all very strange. It sounds to me that somebody leaked this story who was not supposed to.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I heard that there would not be an official announcement until after the A10 tournament, out of respect to the A10, since X is going to the BE.

I'm sure he's gone, but will have to wait until Monday at least, to hear from URI.

That's why there is nothing from URI on the subject yet.

This might give the school a head start on naming a replacement, while everyone waits for word. Maybe Dooley has already decided on Jasper, if they aren't looking for outside candidates. That would be nice, a seamless and quick transition with minimal disruption.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If it wasn't true URI would say so.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:This is all very strange. It sounds to me that somebody leaked this story who was not supposed to.
No, this is just the way the media works right now. We live in a strange "in-between" time in terms of news consumption. There has been a transition from traditional news organizations (print, television, radio) to the web. There are now multiple generations of adults who have adapted, and web-based news is now basically fully mature. But the traditional media still hasn't totally died (yet), and there are still multiple generations of adults who have not adapted. This creates a tension where some people have accepted something as reality days, if not weeks, before others are willing to accept or acknowledge it, based on how they consume news.

The major difference is timing. For all its faults, traditional news valued accuracy and wouldn't (and won't) report things as "fact" until they could absolutely confirm it. New web-based media emphasizes speed. As a result, accuracy can suffer, but it isn't that big of a deal to most people. If traditional media was 99% accurate, new media is probably 93% accurate, but you get the benefit of getting it almost instantly. That is worth it to a lot of people, myself included.

All of this is possible because of the crowd-sourcing approach of new media. There aren't just a handful of pros out there tracking down stories. Everyone is a reporter. This is how the web acts as a great leveler of playing fields. People always have had information, they just haven't had a good way to share it with everyone. Now, when people get scoops they don't just start rumors by telling their friends, they can put it on their blog or on a message board or email to someone who gets a lot of daily eye balls.

Mike's tweet is getting to this point, but he is on the wrong side of history here. Waiting for official press releases and on-the-record interviews with principals isn't important anymore.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Iggy, that's why I'm sure he's gone. URI hasn't denied it.

Just hope they're working on a replacement as we speak.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Give me Daryl Jasper as AD and Mike Laprey as assistant AD or whatever is second in command and I feel confident. Both are good and IMO have a reliable track record. Both of these gents are knowledgeable and will do what it takes to elevate Rhody to where it belongs. Also, you gotta keep Hurley happy!!!!

If Gregggggggg Burke is let anywhere near the controls, pray for us all.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

We need a football guy as AD.
One with admin. experience.
Stowers is HS principal and Floyd Keith is president of BFCA.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Dooley is dumb enough to hire Burke, then he will have undone everything positive that's happened in the athletic dept in the past year.

He would also undo the future, because the Hurleys would look for the first excuse to hightail it out of town.

I just really think that won't happen. It can't, goddamn it, it can't!

P.S. If there is to be an outside search, would Dooley appoint an interim AD? Again, not Burke please.

As for hiring a football guy as AD, what's football? We have a football program?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dooley isn't about to disrupt a good thing, by appointing Burke.
I think he's proven to be a good listener, who acts in the best
interests of the school.
Look at the group of Jasper, Schemm, and Laprey. They all hang together, and
around the basketball program. Ever see Burke with them?
Can't see a PC guy as AD.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Nobody is hiring Burke.

Edited.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

TP, you seem to state a gerneral feeling many have for Mr. Burke.
Not heard much positive over the years.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Gregggg Burke is a DICK and is full of himself. Nothing else need to be said about this ass clown.

I think the fact that there is zero support for him should be a resounding NO!
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

I'd rather they hire Doris Burke than Greg.
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No announcements during the A10 tournament is the proper protocol just as announcements during the NCAA tournament are frowned upon. It will be announced on Monday.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just make sure the new AD caters to DH !!!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am disappointed in Thorr.....he must have been in the Xavier mix for a while.....and while the A-10 is in danger of losing Xavier and Butler to the C7.....and rather than being proactive in trying to keep the A-10 strong he has a conflict of interest knowing he is going to Xavier....so why work to keep them in the A-10
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

That's a good point Ramulous. Not like he was going to big 10 or acc, going to the direct competitor conference and moving his new school there as well. How could he his best interest in the future success of the A10 and URI during this time.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Jesus Christ wouldn't have kept Xavier from the BE, never mind the AD at URI, UMass, Richmond, GW or wherever.

Thorr being in Kingston and looking at that job changed nothing.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:I am disappointed in Thorr.....he must have been in the Xavier mix for a while.....and while the A-10 is in danger of losing Xavier and Butler to the C7.....and rather than being proactive in trying to keep the A-10 strong he has a conflict of interest knowing he is going to Xavier....so why work to keep them in the A-10
No offense, but this is absurd.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I've asked around about Jasper in some different circles. Everyone loves him. I'm prepared to fully throw my support behind him to be the next AD. Not that that matters, but still.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My perspective....there are few people in this life that I've
liked instantly. I liked Daryl from the first time I met him.
He has so much enthusiasm for what he's doing and what he's trying to do.
It's not smoke and mirrors. He'll back up what he's saying he wants to do, with
his efforts he's putting into place to accomplish those goals.
Nice family, too. Lovely wife and new baby daughter.
Daryl is part of the team of aggressive young Turks in the Athletic Department, trying
to make positive change.