The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Anybody who knows Dan Hurley knows that there aren't a lot of "sources" with whom he would discuss this type of thing (I'm assuming his wife/brother/parents aren't the sources).

While nothing is impossible, I'd be very surprised to see him take the UConn job.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ramster wrote:
scine20 wrote:In all honesty UConn is not a good job. First off, there's obviously issues with potential sanctions. Second, they're in probably the 7th best conference in the country with some lousy schools who have little chance to ever compete (while there's no Fordham, good luck with schools like Tulane and East Carolina). If you're going to move up from the A10 and you are an in-demand coach, moving up maybe 1 level of conference is basically a lateral move. Third, Storrs is in the middle of nowhere. Fourth, and maybe most importantly, you have very little chance at ever becoming a true success at the school. You're always going to be compared to Calhoun, they already won 4 titles recently, so what are you going to accomplish? Either you win quickly or the alumni and boosters will get impatient and you'll end up like Kevin Ollie (Ollie was in trouble way before any of the recent news hit).

I can understand Hurley leaving. If he goes to Pitt or Georgia then good luck to him. But I'll be extremely disappointed if he goes to UConn. It would feel like a slap in the face that he sees a school like Connecticut, with all the issues that I highlighted, to be that far superior to URI.
Good points. To sum it all up Hurley’s market value is well above UCONN. Their fans may not want to recognize that but it is what it is.
He is Mid to upper level P5. And the scandals resonating in the College Basketball world have only made a guy like Dan Hurley stand even higher above the crowd of potential candidates.
His market value continues its upward trajectory.
My hope is he stays, my expectation is he stays.
As always, URI Administration needs to follow his requests because everything he touches turns to gold. Build the practice facility and a nice one. Raise assistant coaches salaries. Raise support staff salaries. Do everything he requests. Look at VCU and Dayton, powerhouse perennial A10 Basketball schools reeling from coaching departures. You lose kids to transfers, you lose kids in recruiting. Not just the 2018’s but also the kids you were recruiting for 2019 and 2020.
There is a big cost to having to start anew.
Time to pony up for all requests because this guy knows the way. Follow his lead. He has his players ready to step up and freshmen to step in next season to accommodate the departure of 5 great seniors
All will be fine. Enjoy Sunday and the NCAA Tourney.
I think Pitt is just about right for DH's market value, which is a compliment. Pitt is a top 25 gig, in my opinion. Great basketball tradition, great league, and I would guess they aren't going to be cheap about the hire. Short of a few really great runs in the tournament, I don't think Dan would be on any list for the tier above PItt. He's not going to get a call from Louisville.
LOFUCKINGL. Go away.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Hurley wants to go to a school where he can make the Final Four.
Pitt hasn't made the Final Four in nearly 80 - EIGHTY - years.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Hurley wants to go to a school where he can make the Final Four.
They had about seven teams over the last 20 years that were good enough to make the final four. Matchups, coaching, bad luck held them back. They won the Big East tournament multiple times when it was the full blown Big East.

I am surprised people are so down on Pitt. I would much have that job than UConn.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

IDK how you can claim Texas is a better job than UConn. Have you been alive this century? The last one? Texas?

I have to stop posting about this because I don't want to drive the bus on this, but disparaging UConn's history or its potential is foolish.

Most schools haven't achieved what they have. That isn't hyperbole. 4 titles in the modern era over 20 years. That's 20% of national titles.

I get choked up when URI takes the court with a #25 ranking. Like come on.

And there are two narratives about DH. The one where he only talks to his family and is . Then the one that is more honest that discusses his vast contacts within coaching and NY media. If youre paying attention over the years he talks to all the guys he used to coach with. He talks to Billy Donovan. Calhoun somehow has recently been tied to him. Hes not exactly running from this stuff.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gonebarongone wrote:
SmartyBarrett wrote:Hurley wants to go to a school where he can make the Final Four.
They had about seven teams over the last 20 years that were good enough to make the final four. Matchups, coaching, bad luck held them back. They won the Big East tournament multiple times when it was the full blown Big East.

I am surprised people are so down on Pitt. I would much have that job than UConn.
"But, but, but..." this all you want.
Pitt has not made a Final Four since FDR was President.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I do agree that Pitt is a better program than people are giving credit for. They've done nothing since joining the ACC, so is it that the program isn't ACC level or is it that they've had bad coaching since then? I guess it depends on if they can consistently challenge the UNCs/Dukes (and now Virginias) of the conference. If that answer is yes, then it's a great job. If not, then they are a middling ACC team. Syracuse has been a bubble team at best since joining the ACC when they used to be a perennial top 3 to 4 Big East power. Perhaps these former BE teams just aren't up to ACC Standards.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

Is Pitt even a top 10 job in its own conference?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:

URI has never made the Final Four. Do you think it's a program completely incapable of making a FF? Of course not. UConn had never made a final four before Calhoun. You just can't look at it that way. It's whether the program is capable of winning a region or the whole damn thing. Pitt is on a list of programs where the right guy could win it all. I guess you say that about a lot of teams given basketball only starts five guys. Hell, Butler clanged a 40 footer off the rim that would have won it. If he were to leave, is there anything at Pitt that would hold him back? I don't think so.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Just got back from Washington to see hurley’s name all over the sports section. I really don’t think he is going to uconn. The thread has given some legitimate reasons why. I will add one more. He is a Hurley. He comes from a family where honesty and loyalty are extremely important. His father spent his entire career coaching g high school basketball. Did he have offers? Don’t know. Can Dan look into the eyes of his recruits and Jeff and Fatts and walk away for the money? Prestige going to an American conference school. I don’t think so. I live in ct.and know the fans are not loyal, check attendance in football and basketball. He is a Hurley. He stays.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

neil wrote:Just got back from Washington to see hurley’s name all over the sports section. I really don’t think he is going to uconn. The thread has given some legitimate reasons why. I will add one more. He is a Hurley. He comes from a family where honesty and loyalty are extremely important. His father spent his entire career coaching g high school basketball. Did he have offers? Don’t know. Can Dan look into the eyes of his recruits and Jeff and Fatts and walk away for the money? Prestige going to an American conference school. I don’t think so. I live in ct.and know the fans are not loyal, check attendance in football and basketball. He is a Hurley. He stays.
also a sub point to yours.

he has spent his entire basketball life trying to escape the shadow of someone else's legacy, whether his dad in NJ, or Bobby when playing. He's been fighting to make his own legacy. Why would he turn around and go to a school where you will never be out of the shadow of a former coach? No matter what you do, it wont be good enough because Calhoun did X, Y, Z. Ollie is the proof there. He was a great for them as a player, comes home, wins a national title, and it only takes 2 bad years for them to screw him out of money he's owed and shove him out the door.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
neil wrote:Just got back from Washington to see hurley’s name all over the sports section. I really don’t think he is going to uconn. The thread has given some legitimate reasons why. I will add one more. He is a Hurley. He comes from a family where honesty and loyalty are extremely important. His father spent his entire career coaching g high school basketball. Did he have offers? Don’t know. Can Dan look into the eyes of his recruits and Jeff and Fatts and walk away for the money? Prestige going to an American conference school. I don’t think so. I live in ct.and know the fans are not loyal, check attendance in football and basketball. He is a Hurley. He stays.
also a sub point to yours.

he has spent his entire basketball life trying to escape the shadow of someone else's legacy, whether his dad in NJ, or Bobby when playing. He's been fighting to make his own legacy. Why would he turn around and go to a school where you will never be out of the shadow of a former coach? No matter what you do, it wont be good enough because Calhoun did X, Y, Z. Ollie is the proof there. He was a great for them as a player, comes home, wins a national title, and it only takes 2 bad years for them to screw him out of money he's owed and shove him out the door.
Yeah...UConn is a really weird job now. The more they throw dirt on Ollie to get out of the money the more it hurts them from a violations perspective. I wouldn't take it. If he doesn't take a job this year, I doubt he takes one for the next five years. He would have to know that it goes in waves and this is a momentary peak for him. If we are being honest, Seton Hall/Rutgers/BC/GTown/Nova are most likely not opening up soon. UConn and PItt won't be after this year. Maybe Saint John's? And you would think that he knows he probably takes a small step back next year with all the seniors leaving.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we are safe with DH for this year. Too much up in the air at UConn or Pitt to take those jobs and if Louisville opens there could be more attractive candidates out there
I think he wants to coach this upcoming freshman class and see how good they are with Fatts Cyril and JD
steviep123
Sly Williams

I would love to see DH take this next year's class to it's limit and see how far they can go. If DH is here for 5 more years he's giving himself that chance to build his own legacy.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It was easier to take that position, which I have for the past few years. Even with Rutgers. But apparently he entertained that more than we knew at the time.

Now? Just google UConn and DH name and there are tons of articles. "Sources close to." Jay Williams tweeting. Rothstein saying on the show. There is tons of smoke if there is no fire.
I've seen lots of stories mentioning Hurley and the UConn/Pitt jobs. In those articles that I've seen, the sources say that the school is interested in the coach. I haven't seen it reported the other way around, at least not yet. So yeah, the smoke probably is evidence of a fire - but the fire is that these schools want to hire Hurley, not that there is interest on his part. Those are two very different things from URI's perpective.

There is absolutely nothing incorrect or improper in these guys linking Hurley's name to these jobs if they are hearing (or even assuming) that they are interested in hiring him. And honestly, we should not act offended when people outside of this area assume that if he is offered the job he would go. That's the way it usually works. Fortunately, when you get into the weeds of what these jobs are right now, what the URI job is right now, and what makes this coach tick, I think it becomes a lot less likely that he goes even if he is targeted.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:It was easier to take that position, which I have for the past few years. Even with Rutgers. But apparently he entertained that more than we knew at the time.

Now? Just google UConn and DH name and there are tons of articles. "Sources close to." Jay Williams tweeting. Rothstein saying on the show. There is tons of smoke if there is no fire.
I've seen lots of stories mentioning Hurley and the UConn/Pitt jobs. In those articles that I've seen, the sources say that the school is interested in the coach. I haven't seen it reported the other way around, at least not yet. So yeah, the smoke probably is evidence of a fire - but the fire is that these schools want to hire Hurley, not that there is interest on his part. Those are two very different things from URI's perpective.

There is absolutely nothing incorrect or improper in these guys linking Hurley's name to these jobs if they are hearing (or even assuming) that they are interested in hiring him. And honestly, we should not act offended when people outside of this area assume that if he is offered the job he would go. That's the way it usually works. Fortunately, when you get into the weeds of what these jobs are right now, what the URI job is right now, and what makes this coach tick, I think it becomes a lot less likely that he goes even if he is targeted.
While I do agree with that, I do hate it when media types, just throw names out there, like they are a personal recruiting/hiring service. Like Dickie V and even Projo's Jim Donaldson, saying stuff like Dan Hurley would be great at (X school). If you have legit sources saying X school is interested in Y coach or vice versa, that's fine. But we don't need media types trying to poach our couch off. I always respond to those types of tweets with, "Let's just leave Dan Hurley at Rhode Island where he belongs. Thanks."
Bleed Keaney Blue!

mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I know this is relevant news because Hurley's name is all over the place...

But can't we just wait a week or so to really dive into this? Haha. I'm not ready to say goodbye to EC, JT and Jarvis yet. Think about how much has happened in your own lives since those 4 started playing for the Rams. And this is coming from the guy who started the "2018-2019 Rotation" thread.

I will offer this response...URI has showed the following this season...

- That the program can spend significant time in the Top 25, even withstanding several losses and one very bad loss.
- That we're on our way to becoming a sought after team for OOC tournaments.
- More visible programs are going to start coming to our building (aren't Nevada and 'Bama coming to the Ryan next season?).
- A low seed (4 or 5) is realistically within reach.
- The Ryan Center is a great facility that will sell out with a great atmosphere.
- Rhody fans can and will travel to support the program. (IE, Mohegan for when we play P5 schools that are too chicken shit to come to the Ryan Center).
- Looking ahead to 2018-2019, top 100 players will come here.

Now I'm not going to pretend to know anything about Dan's ego or what motivates him, but that seems like a pretty ideal launching point for building a lasting legacy somewhere. URI will never be UCONN when it comes to levels of sustained success that their program had. Everyone knows that. But a LOT has changed since then. The old Big East is dead. The new Big East is alive and well...but UCONN ain't in it.

I went to the SMU - Houston game a few weeks ago on SMU's senior night. A nationally ranked team coming in...and the place was dead. A year removed from being a top 15 team and on senior night. And SMU is what I would consider one of the "top tier" teams in the AAC. The A-10 and all of it's flaws and limited resources, knows what it is. The AAC seems more like a wanna be P5 conference with no built-in history or rivalries. As things stand in 2018 given the sanctions, Dan moving from Rhody to UConn would be a lateral move.

And the Pitt job wouldn't blow wind up my skirt either. Talk to any Pitt alum. It's not just the underperformance from the past few seasons that has their fans turned off. Those fans don't get as excited when Clemson, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Florida State come to town. All big time programs with great potential (3 of them dancing), but people that grew up in the northeast/mid-atlantic grew up with a different brand of basketball.

Now would any of that matter to Dan? Who knows. But IMO, it does not appear to be the home run job opportunity that everyone seems to think it is, despite the conference and resources overwhelmingly in it's favor.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea I agree. I would like for him to just stay and continue. But?

On that UConn message board I liked that a poster corrected another. One guy said DH built Wagner and URI from nothing into something. Another guy told that other poster he was an idiot because URI has been on again off again forever.

I saw in the Hartford Currant article the typical "sources close to Hurley say... blah blah."

From the outside looking in I love to dump on UConn. But every open job has a stigma because the other guy didn't work out. Who knows how it will all go. IMHO, if UConn offers a top salary. Like top 16 or something. Its a backdoor into a program that has gone toe to toe with the top programs and beat them. Many times. Only northeastern program on that level and I would say not actually on that level is Syracuse. And the coaches in wait are many there at Cuse. Including the guy with the job.

I just think any sane person that takes the blinders off would recognize big bucks down the street at a place were it was once normal to win every game is a big opportunity for anyone. Could you weigh the sanctions and the funk of how UConn has been doing business? Sure. But acting like a national title 3-4 seasons ago is old news is foolish. I still go to URI games because I talked to Tyson Wheeler in '98.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea I agree. I would like for him to just stay and continue. But?

On that UConn message board I liked that a poster corrected another. One guy said DH built Wagner and URI from nothing into something. Another guy told that other poster he was an idiot because URI has been on again off again forever.

I saw in the Hartford Currant article the typical "sources close to Hurley say... blah blah."

From the outside looking in I love to dump on UConn. But every open job has a stigma because the other guy didn't work out. Who knows how it will all go. IMHO, if UConn offers a top salary. Like top 16 or something. Its a backdoor into a program that has gone toe to toe with the top programs and beat them. Many times. Only northeastern program on that level and I would say not actually on that level is Syracuse. And the coaches in wait are many there at Cuse. Including the guy with the job.

I just think any sane person that takes the blinders off would recognize big bucks down the street at a place were it was once normal to win every game is a big opportunity for anyone. Could you weigh the sanctions and the funk of how UConn has been doing business? Sure. But acting like a national title 3-4 seasons ago is old news is foolish. I still go to URI games because I talked to Tyson Wheeler in '98.
again, you're missing 1 key point.

This isn't the Calhoun UConn anymore. They dont have far and away the best conference behind them anymore. Their recruiting and scheduling has dropped off in the AAC.

The 2014 title was won with players recruited by Calhoun and while still in the old Big East.

It's really what was behind Ollie's decline as well. He did damn good given the hurdle of the AAC, pulling in multiple 5 and 4 star recruits. Problem is the fan base and school still acts like its the Big East glory years and haven't accepted the new basketball landscape.

Additionally, they are in danger of really getting left out in the cold in a few years when the next conference shift happens (when the TV deals are up).

They dont appeal to the Big East because of D1 football but Wichita State would being a basketball school.

at least 2 of Cincy/SMU/Houston/Memphis/Tulsa will end up in the Big 12 as they need to add teams, desperately. UConn could in theory end up there too (and they better hope they do).

But if they dont make it to the Big 12, I think they end up in C-USA
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea I agree. I would like for him to just stay and continue. But?

again, you're missing 1 key point.

This isn't the Calhoun UConn anymore. They dont have far and away the best conference behind them anymore. Their recruiting and scheduling has dropped off in the AAC.

The 2014 title was won with players recruited by Calhoun and while still in the old Big East.

It's really what was behind Ollie's decline as well. He did damn good given the hurdle of the AAC, pulling in multiple 5 and 4 star recruits. Problem is the fan base and school still acts like its the Big East glory years and haven't accepted the new basketball landscape.

Additionally, they are in danger of really getting left out in the cold in a few years when the next conference shift happens (when the TV deals are up).

They dont appeal to the Big East because of D1 football but Wichita State would being a basketball school.

at least 2 of Cincy/SMU/Houston/Memphis/Tulsa will end up in the Big 12 as they need to add teams, desperately. UConn could in theory end up there too (and they better hope they do).

But if they dont make it to the Big 12, I think they end up in C-USA
These are all points I've tried to make on this board. I would like that to happen and create a bit of a north east vacuum URI can fill, even if just somewhat. I just don't feel as strong anymore.
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

IMO

I think getting to the S16 @ URI this year would be a huge motivating factor for Hurley to stay at URI. It would prove a class with 5 seniors can deliver a second weekend team. IF winning is a very high priority (and it might not be) then this type of run would confirm his hard work would reap results against top BCS programs. He could focus on developing this incoming class while looking to improve salary, facilities ect

Most of the time it is coaches who make that S16 who are the new coaching darlings to leave. I see it as the opposite for Hurley. Honestly, if I were UConn Hurley would not be my first choice anyways. I live in CT. I have a good pulse on what is going on. Personally I do not like Calhoun at all. He rubs me the wrong way in general. The fact that his "consulting" is being deferred to (to some degree) for the next hire is a mistake. There is also A LOT of behind the scenes "issues" with Ollie. The same guy Calhoun promoted (understatement) for the job.

The idea that UConn somehow is not a BIG time job is being naive. They will pay a Top 10 salary nationally regardless of budget. Calhoun is working with the President, B of T and AD. The "for cause" issue will settle BUT just like the Ollie divorce where settlement occurred right before trial...the buyout will go down the same path.

UConn just pulled a big recruiting class in 2016. Almost all transferred because of the coach. SO the AAC is not a conference that will prevent the right coach from landing a Top 20 class.

I think URI is where Hurley should seriously consider ending his career. He has a strong young core back but this is the year a tournament run seemed probable is Langavine developed. The draw for this years tournament is just brutal. Losing games at the end of the season cost URI a 6 seed. If you survive OLK the DUKE match-up has to be the worse in the field.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My only gripe is when the talking heads and typing fingers describe Hurley as a "candidate" for the job opening at UConn, Pitt, Georgia.....whoever comes next....

...to me a candidate has signaled that he wants the job and is actively vying for it....

I distinguish a candidate from a "target".....someone the school reaches out to or explores as a potential hire....they may get a positive response from the target who then may become a candidate if the interest is mutual and the target is looking to move to that school....if not he was a target that they missed with their arrow....

Dan Hurley will be a target at the end of every season he coaches at Rhody.....he may never become a candidate .....

Ed Cooley I believe is a target who never becomes a candidate....but his situation is different because he is home where the heart is.....

Dan Hurley has now been here longer than he was a student at Seton Hall but it may never be "home"...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I seriously believe a lot of the local market “talking Heads” want to see URI hoops fail. Thus the motivation for linking our coach to every job opening.

Perhaps in a twisted sort of way these clowns may help us retain Hurley by tweaking his Uber competitive “I’ll show you” nature.

He’s packed our building and we had several straight Friday night prime time national TV games. Absolutely no reason not to give the man what he wants so he can keep making URI money.

It really is such a no brainer....

Pony up and let’s ride.

Coach stays.
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

More speculative bullshit......he is the prime target....not a prime candidate for these jobs....yet..... or ever....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Terry Larrier leaving UConn and will enter the Draft https://t.co/IhYozikuox
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The key is going to be after our season ends when UConn and Pitt seek permission will DH listen to them or just come out and say I am staying at URI

If he sits down and listens to them we could be in trouble
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Does anyone recall the timeframe of losing to Oregon until Georgetown announced Ewing? It seemed like forever, but it reality it was probably under 2 weeks.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

mstyles22 wrote:Does anyone recall the timeframe of losing to Oregon until Georgetown announced Ewing? It seemed like forever, but it reality it was probably under 2 weeks.
Wasn’t long .... the announcement was April 2nd
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jesus after reading this article it makes it seem DH has one foot out the door already
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote:Jesus after reading this article it makes it seem DH has one foot out the door already
So a yahoo article looking at the Midwest region mentions that DH could be a target for Pitt, and this other guy turned it into something more. It is a lot of speculation. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the article makes it seem like a foregone conclusion based on taking a suggestion from another article.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just frustrating to click the link and read that headline
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

]Can't wait for Hurley to come back to uri next year. And watch the reaction of all the schools and reporters that had his bags packed. Look at Dan's twitter post from Saturday night about the crowd. Help a little with the frustration.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dhurley15/st ... 0990097408
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

sevegny7 wrote:]Can't wait for Hurley to come back to uri next year. And watch the reaction of all the schools and reporters that had his bags packed. Look at Dan's twitter post from Saturday night about the crowd. Help a little with the frustration.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dhurley15/st ... 0990097408
Yeah....that assumes that reporters and Twitcher folks care about, or think there will be any repercussions for, reporting stuff that is wrong, or not true. I don't think that happens anymore...?
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Texas is a significantly better job than UConn for a number of reasons that should be fairly obvious.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Guys. I'm begging you here. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but we really need to be less sensitive about this stuff. It is part of the territory, and it will be for as long as Hurley is the coach and we have success, which is want we all presumably want.

People that who have a good feel for this situation have been telling you that Hurley has at most one job left in him and if he goes he will go to a truly elite program; that he doesn't want to do anymore rebuilds; that he and his family are happy in Rhode Island; that the guy is wired differently and isn't chasing the money, he just wants to have things needs to succeed; etc.

And nobody is telling you that you HAVE TO believe all that, and maybe you don't. But people here have generally seemed convinced of those things. Until these jobs come open, and some national writers or bloggers in other markets that don't have any insight into the coach or his situation here start speculating (sensibly in the context of how college basketball normally works) that Hurley will be target for these jobs, and our fans who were convinced that Hurley was not going to jump at the first opportunity suddenly turn into whimpering puddles. You knew schools like these were going to come at him. Either you believe what you've said you believe, or you don't. Nothing has changed.

I think we need to be a little more secure in our situation here and react with a little less emotion after every time Hurley's name is mentioned in connection with one of these jobs. It's going to keep happening, so get used to it. This is part of college basketball.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My gut is telling me DH will not be the coach at Pitt or UConn
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The only question is.....are we making progress in increasing the assistant's pool? What's up with the practice facility? Will there be more chartered flights? These are things we do not know (at least I don't know, maybe somebody does?). Very important questions.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Honestly, Billy, I do not know. What I do know is that there will be no stone left unturned, no call not made, no favor not asked for in order to come up with the money needed to continue to invest in the program. The administration in the athletic department and the larger university realizes what they have going here and they will do absolutely everything they can to keep it going. The reality is that there are schools that can spend what we will max out at before they get out of bed in the morning. So the real question might be at what point to we do everything we can conceivably do and it still isn't enough. I don't think we are there yet.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I would have thought UConn would want a coach who has already been to the final four. I'm hearing Pitino is available.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Guys. I'm begging you here. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but we really need to be less sensitive about this stuff. It is part of the territory, and it will be for as long as Hurley is the coach and we have success, which is want we all presumably want.

People that who have a good feel for this situation have been telling you that Hurley has at most one job left in him and if he goes he will go to a truly elite program; that he doesn't want to do anymore rebuilds; that he and his family are happy in Rhode Island; that the guy is wired differently and isn't chasing the money, he just wants to have things needs to succeed; etc.
This has been repeated like a talking point from all people with any ties to him. The person that leads this story is suddenly absent again. Right around the time every year they go absent. Then 6 weeks later it comes out that DH was a little closer to the door than we all thought.

It's not mutually exclusive to be a good person and take a new job.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Despite what you all think about Pitt and UCONN, they are and will be high paying contenders for DH’s services. DH realizes we will be in rebuild phase the next 3-4 years. We are losing 5 KEYS factors to our success. We have a strong class but it will take some time for us to gel. Money unglues morals. This is America.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Of course it's not mutually exclusive to be a good person and take a new job. I didn't realize that was the conversation we were having.

The conversation I thought we were having was that Hurley has been linked to a couple of jobs by some national writers and local writers in those markets, which we all knew was going to happen because he is the obvious candidate for both of them, and suddenly the narrative shifts here. We've known this was coming for years and we've already dealt with it a number of times already.

If you believe your coach is good here and isn't going leave to rebuild a mid-tier ACC program or a has-been non-P5 program, have the courage of your convictions. I'm not even telling you that you should believe that. I'm just telling you not to be the basketball equivalent of the guy who tells everyone he's going to punch the bully in the mouth then, when the bully shows up, hands over his lunch money before running away.

People speculating about Hurley being tied to these jobs was the most predictable and foreseeable thing ever. It just seems to me like if everyone was going to react this way to a blogger in Pittsburgh talking like it was a done deal already without even claiming to have any sources saying Hurley is interested in the job, what was all that talk about believing Dan was in a good spot here and would only leave for a truly elite job? It's the one thing or it's the other, but I don't get what has caused so many people to change their tune.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Mark Gottfried is being reported as the next coach at Cal State Northridge. That’s a long way from the ACC.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn my money was on Hurley heading to Northridge!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:Despite what you all think about Pitt and UCONN, they are and will be high paying contenders for DH’s services. DH realizes we will be in rebuild phase the next 3-4 years. We are losing 5 KEYS factors to our success. We have a strong class but it will take some time for us to gel. Money unglues morals. This is America.
I don't think anyone doubts that they will be willing to pay a lot of money. I think it comes down to two questions: are either of these jobs the type of jobs that he thinks he can win a national championship at, and what is his appetite for a rebuild? I honestly don't think it comes down to straight money. A lot of other boxes have to be checked. Maybe he sees Pittsburgh as the type of opportunity that is worth moving his family and enduring a couple of frustrating years.

I don't have any way of knowing how he views that job, but I'm not dismissive of the idea that he could see it that way. It's a very good job. Until this year, I never would have said a coach would consider turning them down to coach at URI, but URI is now humming and I think he must feel he can put together a team here that can go deep into the tournament based on this season, even if this team actually doesn't.

But to your point of being in a 3-4 year rebuild here (if I'm understanding you correctly), I think that is way off base. I think they are a borderline tournament team next year, and I could see them being potentially his best team here the following year, with Dowtin and Langevine as seniors, Fatts as a sophomore and this loaded class all with a year of playing time under their belts.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:Despite what you all think about Pitt and UCONN, they are and will be high paying contenders for DH’s services. DH realizes we will be in rebuild phase the next 3-4 years. We are losing 5 KEYS factors to our success. We have a strong class but it will take some time for us to gel. Money unglues morals. This is America.
If we are in rebuilding phase for the next 3-4 years we have issues.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea TP ive flipped sides. Oh well. I never thought Ollie leaving was possible/a year or two ago DH wasn't #1 contender.

DCRam I don't think we are so bad next year. Definitely not multiple years. But Rebuild to what? 16 games in a row? Doesnt have to be that.

I think URI will be back quick to playing with most teams on every night. Playing with the best on our best nights. And contending for an A10 title.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Yea TP ive flipped sides. Oh well. I never thought Ollie leaving was possible/a year or two ago DH wasn't #1 contender.

DCRam I don't think we are so bad next year. Definitely not multiple years. But Rebuild to what? 16 games in a row? Doesnt have to be that.

I think URI will be back quick to playing with most teams on every night. Playing with the best on our best nights. And contending for an A10 title.
Heck, Jermaine Harris is playing the 4 next year along with Fatts, Jeff at the point and Cyril down low. Then we have some young, really good guards coming in. If one of them shines, look out.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If next years class is as good as advertised I can picture a st joes of this year type run... Struggle at the beginning getting use to college game and being there right at the end of conference tourney