NCAA Selection Show - TBS @ 6pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Re: NCAA Selection Show - TBS @ 6pm

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

TruePoint wrote:
DelroyIsMyHero wrote:I'll be watching. We'll have another watch party at Harrys if you want to join!
I could maybe do a liquid lunch at Harry's on Thursday. I will be in Pittsburgh for the weekend assuming all goes well, but I'm in the same boat with work on Thursday, plus the infant+toddler situation kills any shot of an extended trip to the Ketchup Capital.

Fair enough. Totally understand. There has been a good, young, crowd at each game so far... but I know a lot of folks on here have all different responsibilities and schedules!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DelroyIsMyHero wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
DelroyIsMyHero wrote:I'll be watching. We'll have another watch party at Harrys if you want to join!
I could maybe do a liquid lunch at Harry's on Thursday. I will be in Pittsburgh for the weekend assuming all goes well, but I'm in the same boat with work on Thursday, plus the infant+toddler situation kills any shot of an extended trip to the Ketchup Capital.

Fair enough. Totally understand. There has been a good, young, crowd at each game so far... but I know a lot of folks on here have all different responsibilities and schedules!
Sorry, thought I was responding to this:
rhodylaw wrote:Tournament starts Wednesday. Just kidding, we get the first start of real tournament. Kind of sucks for me because I will probably not be able to get off work completely. Anyone watching in Boston?
Hence the "same boat" comment. So I can see why that would have been confusing.

What I was trying to say is that unfortunately I cannot go to Pittsburgh on Thursday because of work commitments and family commitments, but I do think I can take an extended lunch and get to a watch party. Last year I watched the Creighton game at Warehouse down by the financial district. Was a really good crowd. If Harry's can get a similar turnout, it should be a great time.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley family
Holiday dinners at the Hurley residence could have been awkward had things gone a different way on Sunday. However, coach Bobby Hurley and Arizona State got into the NCAA tournament -- not missing out, despite coach Dan Hurley and Rhode Island's loss to Davidson shrinking the at-large field by one team. Arizona State lost five of its final six games and went 8-10 to finish ninth in a down Pac-12, but the Sun Devils made it to Dayton and the First Four.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ers-losers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Bobby reaction is priceless and his players jumping into the pool is great !!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

what happened to the big bad AAC that's a good enough conference to steal Hurley away???

In the worst A10 season we've seen since the early 2000s, and the AAC having a bounce back year...we still had the same number of bids.

3 a piece

in our worst season

dont tell me the AAC is a good conference
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Seven of 11 URI OOC opponents made the Big Dance! And FGCU and UNC Asheville are in the NIT. Add Davidson and Bonnies to the mix and the total comes to 9. PC had two from their OOC list of 12 make the Dance and 5 from the Big East for a total of 7.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Seven of 11 URI OOC opponents made the Big Dance! And FGCU and UNC Asheville are in the NIT. Add Davidson and Bonnies to the mix and the total comes to 9. PC had two from their OOC list of 12 make the Dance and 5 from the Big East for a total of 7.

Rhody had no losses to a team with a losing record and only one loss to a team outside the top 50 RPI (St Joe's 16-16) and it was also the only loss to a team that is not in the NCAA Tournament.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote:
Infant + toddler situation? First, congrats again. I have a toddler, with #2 on the way (due in Sept) - so you mean it gets worse? :D :shock:

TP, did you go to DC with the fam? How was it? We were thinking of going and my wife was willing to do it, let me attend the games while she and my daughter did other things, but I was dumb and felt bad and said no, so we visited her parents in Miami instead. If you were there with fam, how was it with 2 small children? But she was totally okay with me watching the game on Friday while her family did other things. We got back Sat just before tip off.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

wasn't sure where to put this, but we are in the now it gets interesting category for all the 68 teams in the tourney according to ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... tournament
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nope I sat out DC this year. No way I could swing that and have any hope to get to the NCAA tournament with my current situation at work and home.

I wouldn't say it gets "worse" because there is a lot to love about it, but going from one to two definitely amplifies all of the life changes that you experience going from zero to one. "Free time" = hilarious fantasy.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yeah, in regular math, 1 + 1 = 2, but with kids, it's 1 + 1 = something waaaay more than double.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:wasn't sure where to put this, but we are in the now it gets interesting category for all the 68 teams in the tourney according to ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... tournament
In the "Now it gets interesting" section:

23. Rhode Island Rams
The Rams' ability to force turnovers and limit their own turnovers is how they've minimized the impact of their subpar offense throughout the season. That's why Saturday's win over Saint Joseph's in the Atlantic 10 semifinals was such an inspiring effort for the Rams. In a come-from-behind victory, the Rams made 45 percent of their 3-pointers and retrieved nearly half of their misses. Dan Hurley has five veterans who will scrap against any opponent. But the Rams might lack the talent to reach the second weekend.

I'd amend that last line to be, "But the Rams might lack the talent to overcome Duke to reach the second weekend." They do have the talent, depending on the matchup. Duke is not that matchup...though we played them 16 months ago and played them pretty close, so maybe....but get by Oklahoma and go from there.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I wish I took a video of Dan’s reaction when they announced ASU in. So awesome.

Love this man. Love this team.
Here you go:

Sporting News with video of both Hurley brothers finding out ASU made it.
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... oycyo3tbvg

I'm glad ASU got in. Especially after seeing Dan's reaction. I know the committee said Davidson knocked ND out, but if ASU was left out too, I could see Dan wondering if things might have been different with a URI win. His reaction made it look as though the weight of the world was taken off his shoulders. That would have been quite a burden to have to bear.
Here's a little more insight into that reaction. Old story from their Wagner days, but a great read.

http://www.espn.com/new-york/story/_/id ... tching-him
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

adam914 wrote:Ok now I am really rooting for that Iona upset EGram!
Haha I think it's fair to say you speak for everyone here in this!

Unfortunately i find myself wishing the committee switched Xavier and Duke. Or any other 2 seed would be preferable heh.

I honestly think it's a terrible matchup for Iona. The only chance being they get real hot shooting over Dukes zone combined with Duke having an off night. I was almost not going to bother putting down my bet but the line is so big i got a chance to win 1250 on a 50 dollar bet. Also put down 50 on Iona beating the spread as i feel 20 points is rather harsh.

I'm almost surely going to put down another 50 on URI winning vs Duke outright assuming that matchup happens. The bettors seem to LOVE duke so it will likely be pretty solid odds. Trying to figure out what other games to take a chance on with my little windfall.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: Here's a little more insight into that reaction. Old story from their Wagner days, but a great read.

http://www.espn.com/new-york/story/_/id ... tching-him
There has been so much media attention already. Hurley haters must find it unbearable, and that gives me life.

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I wish I took a video of Dan’s reaction when they announced ASU in. So awesome.

Love this man. Love this team.
Here you go:

I’ve watched this so many times, and Jeff and EC’s initial reactions make me laugh every time.
Bill went viral with this one.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

You also can see how much our players hate Dan Hurley in that video..........#sarcasm
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote:You also can see how much our players hate Dan Hurley in that video..........#sarcasm
I loved this tweet from friend of the team, Ruthie Polinsky

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
Ramulous wrote:You also can see how much our players hate Dan Hurley in that video..........#sarcasm
I loved this tweet from friend of the team, Ruthie Polinsky

Ruthie works for channel 12. She's been here for 6 months or so. She's very refreshing compared to some of the other stale local reporters. I like her.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow that cbs feature on the Hurleys was fantastic thanks for posting that !!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Wow UMBC gets smacked with the overall #1. The plight of the 16 seed.
This didn't age well. What a tournament!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry