3/9 | VCU Rams | 12PM (NBCSN) (A10 Quarterfinal)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/9 | VCU Rams | 12PM (NBCSN) (A10 Quarterfinal)

Unread post by ramster »

Today’s win vs VCU was a complete game win. A huge win since we had lost two straight. Locks us rock solid into the NCAA Tournament.
I don’t want to think about Davidson beating St Bonaventure and winning the A10.
Or St Joe beating URI and then Beating St Nonaventure or Davidson in the championship game
I don’t think they would take 3 A10 teams

But now a moot point
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
scine20 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

dude (or maam), I gave you two examples. St. Bonnies at Olean and Dayton at home. You countered with we were down double digits to Dayton at home (said nothing about Bonnies). In fact our biggest deficit to Dayton was 7 points with 5 minutes left in the half and we were ahead by half time. I contend that we played well in the first half and Dayton did too. Can we play a complete game and still be losing at some point during the game or is that not allowed in your definition of a complete game?

again...you admittedly didn't watch this game today and I'm guessing by your misrepresentation of facts you didn't watch the Dayton game either which severely weakens your opinion.
I watched the Dayton game until it was out of hand.

No I didn't watch a game in the middle of the day during a workday. You're acting like that's some sort of crime.

You think that St. Bonaventure was a complete game? I guess we have different versions of complete game. The VCU game in February was a complete game. They had several before the VCU game.

the crime isn't in missing an afternoon game. the crime is in giving strong opinions about a game you didn't even see.

Yes...I believe St. Bonnies was a complete game. We played toe to toe in a hostile environment against a streaking team that was desperate for a good win.

What is your definition of a complete game? You've yet to define.
I did define it. One that they play well from start to finish. Play smart, make the easy shots, don't commit dumb fouls, make your free throws, hold onto the ball, etc. Like I said, see the VCU game in February for a blue print.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

scine20 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
scine20 wrote: I watched the Dayton game until it was out of hand.

No I didn't watch a game in the middle of the day during a workday. You're acting like that's some sort of crime.

You think that St. Bonaventure was a complete game? I guess we have different versions of complete game. The VCU game in February was a complete game. They had several before the VCU game.

the crime isn't in missing an afternoon game. the crime is in giving strong opinions about a game you didn't even see.

Yes...I believe St. Bonnies was a complete game. We played toe to toe in a hostile environment against a streaking team that was desperate for a good win.

I did define it. One that they play well from start to finish. Play smart, make the easy shots, don't commit dumb fouls, make your free throws, hold onto the ball, etc. Like I said, see the VCU game in February for a blue print.
vs. VCU 42.9% from the field. 33.3% from 3 77.8 from the line. 17 assists 10 steals 9 turnovers committed 14 fouls
at SBU 45% from field 39% from 3 75% from the line. 12 assists 5 steals 17 turnovers. committed 17 fouls

we did some things better and some things worse vs SBU. but allow for the fact that SBU is a much better team and I think, with the exception of turnovers, that was a pretty complete game.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Beat dayton by 25, outscored them by more than 2:1 in the second half...arguably the best half of Rhody hoops in quite some time...I'll take that game (Dayton game) every day over a 'complete' game that is anyone's game with 3 minutes to play (VCU game). Consistency is great, if you're an actuary, but give me an 'ok' first half and a kick-ass second half anytime...
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

scine20 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
scine20 wrote: I watched the Dayton game until it was out of hand.

I think then maybe you should go get on the Celtics message boards and complain there. “Complete” games as you describe them don’t happen in college that often, if at all, by anyone.

Or maybe since you don’t really watch games and just get the highlights you just assume that full games are just SC top 10 loops start to finish?
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Blue Man wrote:
scine20 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

I think then maybe you should go get on the Celtics message boards and complain there. “Complete” games as you describe them don’t happen in college that often, if at all, by anyone.

Or maybe since you don’t really watch games and just get the highlights you just assume that full games are just SC top 10 loops start to finish?
Again, twisting my words.

When did I say I don't watch games? Because I didn't use PTO to sit home and watch a quarterfinal conference tournament game suddenly means I don't watch games?
Last edited by scine20 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Beat dayton by 25, outscored them by more than 2:1 in the second half...arguably the best half of Rhody hoops in quite some time...I'll take that game (Dayton game) every day over a 'complete' game that is anyone's game with 3 minutes to play (VCU game). Consistency is great, if you're an actuary, but give me an 'ok' first half and a kick-ass second half anytime...
All I've said is that Rhode Island has not played its best basketball in the past month. They've seemed worn down and certain guys have not played at the same level that they played at earlier this season. Do you agree or disagree?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Your best basketball on any given night is a game you win.

I don’t think some people understand that when you put a number next to your name it isn’t just another game to your opponent. Conference opponents who know you or have beaten you before play their god damn super bowl against you when you’re ranked.

I don’t know what kind of weird basketball elitist bulls hit you’re on, but the rest of us will be happy watching our 3rd A10 semifinal game in 4 years after getting maybe 1 of those in the 15 years previous?

Christ man, we get ranked for 7 weeks in one season and some people on here have John-Wooden-UCLA expectations about “complete” or “perfect” basketball that I’m not sure has ever been played.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Blue Man wrote:Your best basketball on any given night is a game you win.

I don’t think some people understand that when you put a number next to your name it isn’t just another game to your opponent. Conference opponents who know you or have beaten you before play their god damn super bowl against you when you’re ranked.

I don’t know what kind of weird basketball elitist bulls hit you’re on, but the rest of us will be happy watching our 3rd A10 semifinal game in 4 years after getting maybe 1 of those in the 15 years previous?

Christ man, we get ranked for 7 weeks in one season and some people on here have John-Wooden-UCLA expectations about “complete” or “perfect” basketball that I’m not sure has ever been played.
Geez when did I say I'm not happy? I made a comment that they haven't played as well lately as they did earlier in the season and I have posters like you flipping out.

I never said I expect perfection.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Exciting win!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

scine20 wrote:

Geez when did I say I'm not happy? I made a comment that they haven't played as well lately as they did earlier in the season and I have posters like you flipping out.

The reason people on here are ripping you is you come off as never being satisfied. Take a second to step back and look at this season, every team (even the Duke’s and UNC’s of the world) go through highs n lows for an entire season, point blue man, me, and others are trying to make is the accomplishments this team has made this year is incredible. You pointing out this complete game garbage, that is what is translating to “perfection” in your mind.

They won against a gritty vcu team that we all knew wasn’t gonna be a cake walk. But to add to my frustration with your posts, you admittted you didn’t even watch the game haha. So where are you coming from, a fan that offers a bunch of criticism on a team who’s having one of the best seasons in Rhody history, who doesn’t even watch the game yesterday
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

scine20 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
scine20 wrote: I did define it. One that they play well from start to finish. Play smart, make the easy shots, don't commit dumb fouls, make your free throws, hold onto the ball, etc. Like I said, see the VCU game in February for a blue print.

When did I say I don't watch games? Because I didn't use PTO to sit home and watch a quarterfinal conference tournament game suddenly means I don't watch games?

Well,
Having lived through the Sahara Dessert type drought that we have had since the end of the 20th century, I can think of almost nothing that I would rather use my PTO Days for.

You make it sound like using PTO Days for the 1st A10 Tournament that URI has ever been favored to win, plus the most weeks ranked in the Top 25 in the History of URI Men's Basketball, would be some kind of a waste.

If so I am happy to say I am here in DC getting "wasted" and I'll get a bit more "wasted" come the next city the NCAA Tournament Committee decided to send us off to. :lol: :lol:
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Up until this tourney I was one who would find fault with the team even when they won...

Not now....just win baby.....style points don't mean nothing now! Wins are all that matter.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

scine20 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
scine20 wrote: I did define it. One that they play well from start to finish. Play smart, make the easy shots, don't commit dumb fouls, make your free throws, hold onto the ball, etc. Like I said, see the VCU game in February for a blue print.

DVR? Or maybe a VCR?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

From our friend Chris DiSano:

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:From our friend Chris DiSano:

I love this from the end of the article

Living for the stage

There’s plenty of basketball to be played in 2017-18 for these Rams, but the performances of both Jeff Dowtin and Fatts Russell engender confidence – despite the loss of five seniors – moving forward. I’m a believer that innately, you either have a penchant and a fire to compete in high leverage situations… or you don’t. Both of these underclassmen do. The ability of both Dowtin (numbers above) and Russell (11pts, 3-6 3pt) to embrace, take and make big shots is impressive. But perhaps more impressive is the ability of each to shake off mistakes and compartmentalize the game. Neither one lets a single error compound mentally to knock him off his axis. Each are confident, short-memory players who want the ball, want the assignment, want the pressure. They’re winners.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nice article....good mention on the dead ball plays. That screen the screener play that got Stan the wide open layup was freekn awesome. Wasn't that long ago when it seemed like the go-to inbounds play was to throw it long into the other half of the court, regardless of where they were. Those plays are yet another upgrade to Dan's game.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ramster wrote:
scine20 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Well,
Having lived through the Sahara Dessert type drought that we have had since the end of the 20th century, I can think of almost nothing that I would rather use my PTO Days for.

You make it sound like using PTO Days for the 1st A10 Tournament that URI has ever been favored to win, plus the most weeks ranked in the Top 25 in the History of URI Men's Basketball, would be some kind of a waste.

If so I am happy to say I am here in DC getting "wasted" and I'll get a bit more "wasted" come the next city the NCAA Tournament Committee decided to send us off to. :lol: :lol:
To me it would be but to each their own.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
scine20 wrote:

The reason people on here are ripping you is you come off as never being satisfied. Take a second to step back and look at this season, every team (even the Duke’s and UNC’s of the world) go through highs n lows for an entire season, point blue man, me, and others are trying to make is the accomplishments this team has made this year is incredible. You pointing out this complete game garbage, that is what is translating to “perfection” in your mind.

They won against a gritty vcu team that we all knew wasn’t gonna be a cake walk. But to add to my frustration with your posts, you admittted you didn’t even watch the game haha. So where are you coming from, a fan that offers a bunch of criticism on a team who’s having one of the best seasons in Rhody history, who doesn’t even watch the game yesterday
I went on this board after the Alabama loss and I said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the loss when half the board was freaking out. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the St. Bonaventure loss. In fact I pretty much expected it as I felt they were due and it was a perfect storm as St. Bonaventure desperately needed the win while URI had a gimpy Matthews going in and, like I said, was due. I was defending the team after the La Salle game on this board when others were freaking out.

I also said in this exact thread, maybe 3 or 4 pages ago, that this has been a great season, the best I've seen since I've been a fan and likely one of the 2 or 3 best in the entire history of the program. So I have no idea where you're coming from.

Literally the only negative thing I said is they haven't played as well as they did earlier in the season. And it turned into 4 or 5 people attacking my opinion.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Please stop. It doesn't matter.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RAM67 wrote:Please stop. It doesn't matter.
I would if I didn't continue to get quoted.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RAM67 wrote:Please stop. It doesn't matter.
Good point Ram67, I’ve said my peace on it. Moving on, let’s go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote:
Anyone know if they are selling the long sleeve tees they are wearing in this video?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”