2018 Conference Tournaments

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018 Conference Tournaments

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah that ole FT thing again.....I hope to fuck we don't lose another that way this season.

I've watched URI BB for 50 years, and the way we lost to Davidson has to be in the top 10, maybe top 5 all time for gag jobs in my memory anyway.

We've lost a lot of key games at the FT line over the years, but that took the cake.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bobby's ASU team is in a heap of trouble down 7 with 4 to go...if they lose are they out?

I mean we're struggling, but they have really crapped the bed down the stretch.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NC State was being projected to be 9 seed. This loss should eliminate the prospect of them jumping ahead of Rhody in seed lines. The Pack now has a record of 21-11 and an RPI rank of #65. They have impressive wins versus Arizona, Duke, Clemson, and North Carolina but losses to the likes of Northern Iowa, UNC-Greensboro, and Georgia Tech do not help them. Their OOC SOS at #265 is also not a plus. They are likely still in the field but there will be some anxiety.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote:Bobby's ASU team is in a heap of trouble down 7 with 4 to go...if they lose are they out?

thats a tough one. i mean if they are in i see them as a play-in game now
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Yeah by now no effect on anything PC does......I guess if they were to go deep in the BE tourney they would become a Q1 win....doubt it would matter though. It's up to us now.
Why wouldn't another Q1 win matter now, when everyone was griping before that pc needs to be a good win? What changed?

to me personally, it would matter if we were in line for a 4 (and somewhat less for a 5) seed. as that ship has sailed, and from seeds 6 to 11 I it's more about matchups than seeding, I'm less concerned that anything PC does will effect us. We need to take care of our own house at this point.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ASU should be out with a loss they were the 9 seed in a down PAC 12

Sorry Bobby Hurley
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What some might have to worry about, is if there are any bid stealers.....the A10 is a case in point.

St. Joes is the only team I'm worried about stealing a bid....they will be tough for us, and if they were to beat us and play the Bonnies, they have trouble with them too. Davidson maybe, but if we play them again we'll win.

VCU would normally be a threat, but not this year I think. Imo they could very well lose to Dayton tomorrow.

With ASU I think it will come down to what other bubble teams do. Is their game over?

Update...yep....collapsed.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Yeah that ole FT thing again.....I hope to fuck we don't lose another that way this season.

I've watched URI BB for 50 years, and the way we lost to Davidson has to be in the top 10, maybe top 5 all time for gag jobs in my memory anyway.

We've lost a lot of key games at the FT line over the years, but that took the cake.

agree 78, but what is odd is this wasn't Tyson Wheeler at the line needing to make 3 free throws to tie a game that would lead to the Final 4. THAT is pressure and I feel for that kid to this day I don't think there should be a lot of pressure on a player with a 6 point lead and 40 seconds left. I'm really not sure EC gagged as much as he is just in a slump at the line (0-5 in non pressure FTs vs LaSalle). Even on JT's first one and one...27 seconds and a 4 point lead still shouldn't be a ton of pressure. of course by the time they got to the last one they had put pressure on themselves.

all in all you are right...never seen FTs kill us like in that game,
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Bobby's ASU team is in a heap of trouble down 7 with 4 to go...if they lose are they out?

thats a tough one. i mean if they are in i see them as a play-in game now

ASU was being projected as a 10 seed before today's loss. The Sun Devils have some good wins (Xavier/Kansas/USC/UCLA) and just a single bad loss (Oregon State) that work in their favor despite losing five of their last six. They will however have a record of 20-11 with an RPI rank in the mid sixties and a losing record in league play with tourney first game exit. That should make them somewhat nervous.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wow, what a drag...wasn't ASU #3 at one point? If out, would that be the highest in-season ranked team to not make the NCAA's ever?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The ending to the Davidson game really was the perfect storm. So many things had to happen to lose....we had 3 straight one and ones....normally we would be shooting 2 each time at that point in a game.....

Do you think we would have made a couple? 2 for 6? If so, we win. EC, I have no confidence that he would have made the 2nd...Terrell yes he would have imo....but why was he so nervous? He's been in that situation before, and come through. 86%....really?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah i think it was ranked 3rd or 4th at worst

They have to hope the committee weighs heavily what they did OoC

May come down to what the rest of the bubble teams do and the bid stealers also
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Kansas' center injured and out for the B12 tourney....there goes their 1 seed....guess who will get it....Duke....

We need to stay out of that bracket if we're an 8 or 9.....but wouldn't count on it. Let's see, 1978, 1988.....if we're going out in the 2nd round....anybody but them.

Yeah, NC St. and ASU are 2 teams we don't have to worry about jumping us.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:The ending to the Davidson game really was the perfect storm. So many things had to happen to lose....we had 3 straight one and ones....normally we would be shooting 2 each time at that point in a game.....

Do you think we would have made a couple? 2 for 6? If so, we win. EC, I have no confidence that he would have made the 2nd...Terrell yes he would have imo....but why was he so nervous? He's been in that situation before, and come through. 86%....really?

yeah...you have to think if JT sees one go through he would make the second. I just think EC is slumping...Actually I hope he is just slumping. I'd rather not think that the level of pressure he was facing on that FT would cause him to miss. Easier to break out of a slump then to all of a sudden have ice in your veins in pressure situations.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Yeah by now no effect on anything PC does......I guess if they were to go deep in the BE tourney they would become a Q1 win....doubt it would matter though. It's up to us now.
Why wouldn't another Q1 win matter now, when everyone was griping before that pc needs to be a good win? What changed?

to me personally, it would matter if we were in line for a 4 (and somewhat less for a 5) seed. as that ship has sailed, and from seeds 6 to 11 I it's more about matchups than seeding, I'm less concerned that anything PC does will effect us. We need to take care of our own house at this point.
So you mean a 6 playing a 3 is the same as an 8/9 playing a 1? Depending on matchups? Not sure I agree with your logic. And I would surely want to play an 11 the first round rather than a 9.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

So you mean a 6 playing a 3 is the same as an 8/9 playing a 1? Depending on matchups? Not sure I agree with your logic. And I would surely want to play an 11 the first round rather than a 9.

no...you are right blueram. I think I've just lost steam on the PC fight. what you said is absolutely right and another Q1 win can't hurt. I just think it is less significant than when a 4 seed was in reach. I don't think there is a large gap between 6s and 11s. Heck...what were we last year against Creighton? A one point dog? and once you get to the 2nd game...unless a Cinderella wins in game 1...all teams have Sweet 16/Elite 8 potential. You could have a tougher matchup with a 3 seed than with a 1 seed. And at that point, whether we were a 6 or a 9 going into that game, we are still same team.

Perhaps I've just lost some of my fight after last week.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think people forget we have to win the first game to get to the second game. That's what I think.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We have made FT's under pressure quite a few times this season....if we froze up every time there was pressure, we would lose a lot more close games.....I mean pressure affects everyone differently, but geez at this level you can't let it get to you...if it does then you shouldn't be out there.

I think it's just wacko shit....Jeff misses a key one against the Bonnies and then come back and drains a whole bunch under pressure against LaSalle.

But we need to get back to being consistent in many areas, not just FT's.....we're aren't built to have one guy carry the load like JT has tried to do lately.....we need all 8 "starters" to contribute, in order to win these games ahead.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:I think people forget we have to win the first game to get to the second game. That's what I think.

I haven't forgotten that. In my opinion, seeding is most important in the first round. After that everyone is very good and it's more about matchups than seeding. That's why I was rooting for PC all along...when a 4 seed was within reach. Over the last 5 years in the first round, 4 seeds win 90% of the time. 5 seeds about 55-60%. 6-8 seeds are a toss up.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The second round ACC doubleheader at the Barclay's Center this afternoon drew 17,732 fans, 98% of capacity. That my friends is why Barclay's eagerly negotiated the deal that put the ACC in Barclay's for the last two years and exiling the A-10 to Pittsburgh and DC. The A-10 doesn't draw 17K+ for the championship game, let alone the second round.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bad weather also
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:The second round ACC doubleheader at the Barclay's Center this afternoon drew 17,732 fans, 98% of capacity. That my friends is why Barclay's eagerly negotiated the deal that put the ACC in Barclay's for the last two years and exiling the A-10 to Pittsburgh and DC. The A-10 doesn't draw 17K+ for the championship game, let alone the second round.
That place was empty during NC State game.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:I think people forget we have to win the first game to get to the second game. That's what I think.

I haven't forgotten that. In my opinion, seeding is most important in the first round. After that everyone is very good and it's more about matchups than seeding. That's why I was rooting for PC all along...when a 4 seed was within reach. Over the last 5 years in the first round, 4 seeds win 90% of the time. 5 seeds about 55-60%. 6-8 seeds are a toss up.
Of course after the first round everyone is good, your playing a 1-4 seed the second round.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There might have been 17K total fans there for both games, but for each game the place was half empty, if not more than that.

The weather I'm sure kept quite a few away.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:There might have been 17K total fans there for both games, but for each game the place was half empty, if not more than that.

The weather I'm sure kept quite a few away.
Maybe ACC requires teams to purchase allotments? No way that place was full. Not even close.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting bubble games tonight
Okie st v okla

Irish v VT

Cuse v UNC

Texas v Iowa st

Marquette v DePaul
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......the A-10 currently may be a traveling circus, until we get back to the Barclays, but hopefully we neva will drop to campus sites status......I often wondered about that going to AC, back in the day.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I still say play the tourney at Mohegan, capacity 10K...perfect size venue for the A10.

At least once in a while. And there's so much to do there, along with plenty of hotel rooms.

Just because it would be at the far eastern end of the conference geographical footprint, so what. Look at what the B10 and ACC are doing, playing in NY.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:.......the A-10 currently may be a traveling circus, until we get back to the Barclays, but hopefully we neva will drop to campus sites status......I often wondered about that going to AC, back in the day.....
The ACC and the Big10 are traveling circuses. So is the American.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:I still say play the tourney at Mohegan, capacity 10K...perfect size venue for the A10.

At least once in a while. And there's so much to do there, along with plenty of hotel rooms.

Just because it would be at the far eastern end of the conference geographical footprint, so what. Look at what the B10 and ACC are doing, playing in NY.
It was nearly at/over capacity for the tip of tourney last season with 4 teams even though it was duke cinci psu. I can only imagine 14 teams.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Most of the teams don't draw very well, except for VCU and Dayton.....each doubleheader
there would be 2500 allotted to each team.....very doable.

The Oklahoma fraud show continues, Ok St should be in, and the Sooners out....but they will both get in.

ND can't hit their 3's and Bonzie is gassed not playing for so long, with the game quite fast paced. If they don't have a big rally they are out.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

rambone 78 wrote:The ending to the Davidson game really was the perfect storm. So many things had to happen to lose....we had 3 straight one and ones....normally we would be shooting 2 each time at that point in a game.....

I have to imagine the passing of Jared's grandmother (which happened within a week of that game) was on his mind at the FT line both times, because he did not look nearly as focused and confident like he normally is.

As for EC, is it injuries, slumping, both, something else? No idea what's going on with him. We need him to step up like last year for these tourney games tho, that's for damn sure.

Here's to hoping Hurley infuses some of the mojo and confidence back into the team this week. A cocktail of some extra confidence and chips on shoulders from award snubs will hopefully have us back to playing like we know we can and making some noise this year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Terrell played his arse off the entire game.....why would that emotion affect him then and only then?

Just doesn't make sense....just like EC's complete lack of shooting ability. For us to go anywhere he HAS to play better.

LaSalle just showed us again what happens when you can't hit a 3......you lose. 1-16.....
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ND guts it out.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Seawrightspostgam?e wrote:ND guts it out.
ESPN is in an all out pimping effort for Notre Dame. It makes me sick.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:
Seawrightspostgam?e wrote:ND guts it out.
ESPN is in an all out pimping effort for Notre Dame. It makes me sick.
And Joe does NOT want to talk about Syracuse...
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

rambone 78 wrote:Terrell played his arse off the entire game.....why would that emotion affect him then and only then?

Just doesn't make sense....just like EC's complete lack of shooting ability. For us to go anywhere he HAS to play better.

LaSalle just showed us again what happens when you can't hit a 3......you lose. 1-16.....
I agree he played as intense as he possibly could've all game. Don't know, but it seemed to me like he was out of gas the last few minutes, and he looked shook on the line at the end, like emotion was taking over. Only reason I can come up with. I guess another possibility is that he was putting too much pressure on himself and the moment after the drubbing Joe's gave us at home.

Yes, we need '17 tourney EC back.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Okla State beats Sooners and plays Kansas tomorrow

Irish beat VT and get Duke tomorrow

This bubble is getting crazy ???
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bucknell gets the thirteen auto bid to the Dance as they take the Patriot League title in a romp over Colgate, 83-54.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There are no championship finals scheduled for Thursday, but there is lots of tournament action. Highlighting some games of interest:

At the Barclay's Center, Louisville vs #1 Virginia. 12 Noon. On ESPN.

The American opens its tourney in Orlando, FL with SMU vs. UConn, 12 Noon. On ESPNU.

In the SEC in St. Louis, Alabama vs. Texas A&M. 1 PM. On SECN.

At MSG, Creighton vs. PC. 2:30 PM. On FS1.

In a tough draw, #22 Nevada takes on UNLV on the Rebels' home court, site of the MW tourney. 3 PM. On CBSSN.

Notre Dame vs. #5 Duke. 7 PM. On ESPN.

At MSG, Butler vs. Seton Hall. 9:30 PM. On FS1.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Obadiah wrote:There are no championship finals scheduled for Thursday, but there is lots of tournament action. Highlighting some games of interest:

At the Barclay's Center, Louisville vs #1 Virginia. 12 Noon. On ESPN.

The American opens its tourney in Orlando, FL with SMU vs. UConn, 12 Noon. On ESPNU.

In the SEC in St. Louis, Alabama vs. Texas A&M. 1 PM. On SECN.

At MSG, Creighton vs. PC. 2:30 PM. On FS1.

In a tough draw, #22 Nevada takes on UNLV on the Rebels' home court, site of the MW tourney. 3 PM. On CBSSN.

Notre Dame vs. #5 Duke. 7 PM. On ESPN.

At MSG, Butler vs. Seton Hall. 9:30 PM. On FS1.
so much good basketball today! i made it into work somehow (live on northshore in MA) but like half my company is here, sounds like a streaming type of day for the 12 and 2p games
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UConn getting pounded in its game with SMU.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bucknell will be a tough one for whoever draws them.

They just haven't beaten their opponents, they've routed them.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC playing for a bid today ????
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bubble team Alabama squeaks out a win over Texas A&M 71-70 in the SEC Tournament. Alabama is currently 18-14 with an RPI ranking of #47. It however has impressive wins over Auburn, Texas A&M (2x), Tennessee, Oklahoma, Florida, and URI.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bucknell went 2-2 against A-10 teams, losing road games at VCU and St. Joe's, beating Richmond at Robins and beating La Salle at home.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

omg AlaBAMA
GO RAMS
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

reef wrote:PC playing for a bid today ????
I think that pc is already in.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Creighton slightly ahead of Rhody in Bracketmatrix. We should want PC to beat them.
“We will be good when we are good.”
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

when did PC add a Dalmatian as a mascot? random
Clapton is God