3/2 | Davidson Wildcats | 8PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/2 | Davidson Wildcats | 8PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why does it seem every time an opponent needs to score late in games, they do?

We don't just stop playing on offense, we can't stop anybody on defense.

Not just the free throws.

Sure some guys are worn down....but so were Davidson's......they made all the plays at the end, and we made none.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This game has been 50-50, even spread for a long time in RPIForecast. Disappointing loss with how it happened but it was a coin flip who would win at tip off.

The crushing loss was to St Joe's at home

This one not so surprising. Davidson could win the A10 Tournament.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

PeteRI wrote:A guy from Iceland beat us. Think about that for a minute.
He was "hotter and cooler" than we were.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:This game has been 50-50, even spread for a long time in RPIForecast. Disappointing loss with how it happened but it was a coin flip who would win at tip off.

I do think that we will beat Davidson if we get them in the final. How could they repeat what happened last night?
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

2 things...

1) For your sanity, don't ever look at this website after a loss. Seriously. Why did I come here? I was already losing my mind. See #2.

2) For your sanity, don't ever watch a close Rhody game with my 83-year-old mother. :D

Mom, I love you...but after explaining every nuance of the game for two hours...
(Why is that a foul? Why does Davidson get free throws but Rhody doesn't? Why did he do that? Why does Davidson have to foul? Are you nervous?)

For them to lose like that, AFTER reassuring her 3 times in the last minute that Rhody was going to win, if they just make this free throw... :(

I guess I'm glad I didn't go to Charlotte, but I wish I had gone to Charlotte.

Sigh.

Then she said they lost because she was watching.

:lol:

OK, now for all of you haters...and there are like a dozen of you...

GROW THE HECK UP!!!

This team is un-f'ing-believably awesome. So they stunk on Tuesday and lost 2 heartbreakers on the road to the 2nd and 3rd place teams...

They also could've lost at LaSalle and UMass, and at home to Duquesne. But they didn't.

They beat PC and Seton Hall. And they set a record for consecutive wins in a single season.

They have 6 amazing guards, 2 awesome big men (even if I now have no idea how to pronounce one of their names..."Lan-GEEEEEE-Vine"???)
and my favorite, the Italian Ram, who does so many things when needed and is one of the nicest kids ever!

Now, those 8 starters plus Nicola are going to make us even more proud over the next few weeks.
So can you be upset after this week? Yes.
But don't come on some anonymous website and start trashing the kids if they miss a free throw!

Get a life!!!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote:2 things...

1) For your sanity, don't ever look at this website after a loss. Seriously. Why did I come here? I was already losing my mind. See #2.

2) For your sanity, don't ever watch a close Rhody game with my 83-year-old mother. :D

Mom, I love you...but after explaining every nuance of the game for two hours...
(Why is that a foul? Why does Davidson get free throws but Rhody doesn't? Why did he do that? Why does Davidson have to foul? Are you nervous?)

For them to lose like that, AFTER reassuring her 3 times in the last minute that Rhody was going to win, if they just make this free throw... :(

I guess I'm glad I didn't go to Charlotte, but I wish I had gone to Charlotte.

Sigh.

Then she said they lost because she was watching.

:lol:

OK, now for all of you haters...and there are like a dozen of you...

GROW THE HECK UP!!!

This team is un-f'ing-believably awesome. So they stunk on Tuesday and lost 2 heartbreakers on the road to the 2nd and 3rd place teams...

They also could've lost at LaSalle and UMass, and at home to Duquesne. But they didn't.

They beat PC and Seton Hall. And they set a record for consecutive wins in a single season.

They have 6 amazing guards, 2 awesome big men (even if I now have no idea how to pronounce one of their names..."Lan-GEEEEEE-Vine"???)
and my favorite, the Italian Ram, who does so many things when needed and is one of the nicest kids ever!

Now, those 8 starters plus Nicola are going to make us even more proud over the next few weeks.
So can you be upset after this week? Yes.
But don't come on some anonymous website and start trashing the kids if they miss a free throw!

Get a life!!!
25-6 record. #1 overall seed. Conference champion. In a position to get the highest seed ever given to a URI team.

Perfect time for everyone to explain why this team “sucks”
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Overall - yes, absolutely would have signed up for our record at start of year

Speaking for myself, I was just in shock of the meltdown last night - reminded me of the “always a bridesmaid” outcomes in the past

I am mostly upset cas this might lead to a 8/9 seed - which overall I thought we were at worse a 7 seed had we won - I hope I am wrong on this

It was an infuriating finish last night - and people are just venting

I keep telling myself this will galvanize us for the tourney.. time will tell
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Simply put, top teams find ways to win, they don't find ways to give games away.

They don't brick 3 1 and 1s in the final minute

Going to the line up 6 with 40 seconds left, they fucking win the game

They don't get run off their home court by 30 against a 200 RPI

Most importantly, they play their best ball in Feb and March.

I'll say it now. Us and Bona have the same # of losses, if they go further in the A10s don't be surprised when they have a better seed than us
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:This game has been 50-50, even spread for a long time in RPIForecast. Disappointing loss with how it happened but it was a coin flip who would win at tip off.

It wasn't necessarily that they lost. It was HOW they lost. They choked the game away after having a decent lead with little time. A lead with such little clock left and multiple ft opportunities has an extremely high probability for a win. Our players found a way to beat the odds and gift wrap a victory to Davidson.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I love this team as much as any, but they are young men (decades younger than many of us on this board) and they are human beings, not robots.

I can't help but think they've listened to the Jon Rothsteins of the world say:

- "They have 6 guards who have scored at least 18 points in a game."

- "They have the best backcourt in the country."

- "They are a nightmare matchup."

Other than JT, they have been woefully inconsistent since the Dayton game. Dowtin scores 20, then 2, then 4. EC scores 18, then 13, then 6. Fatts hasn't been right since Richmond. We all know about Jarvis's troubles. And you can't count on Berry and Langevine to bring it every game.

Yet the media has been making them out to be the Gonzaga of the East, and they (and many of us) have accepted it as gospel.

Its time for Coach Hurley to really earn his praise and get these young men back to when they were a legitimate Elite 8 threat. It's possible, so let's goooooooooooooooo!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't get why people can't just focus their disappointment or anger on the specific game they just watched. What is the instinct to draw overarching conclusions about the team and the season based on one game?

Good teams, in every sport and especially in college basketball and especially on the road in conference, lose games that they should win. It happens literally all the time. Doesn't make it less frustrating when it happens, and so I'm right there with people losing their minds last night.

There are real consequences to blowing a lead like that, and to having a week like we've had. Those are fair game to talk about. But i don't think it makes a lot of sense to conclude based on a bad few days that the quality of the team is drastically different than what we all thought it was a week ago. Teams go thru hard weeks all the time, they blow leads, they get into mental funks, they get embarrassed on their home floor or field. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to draw conclusions about a team based on what they look like at their worst and their lowest. Think of all the teams that have done big things that at some point along the way looked like they were completely finished. Hell, you don't have to look that far around here - this team was there last year.

Maybe they don't pull out of this, lose their next two and this promising season ends disappointingly. But I think it is just as likely that we don't end up thinking a lot of about these last two games when we think back about this season 5, 10, 20 years from now. The talent is certainly there to win the kind of games that would make people forget about this week. It just depends on how they respond and what team shows up the next two weekends, and I don't think you necessarily know based on the team we saw this past week.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry the stats don't lie and when you go behind the averages you see problems. EC's scoring average was 1.5 points lower than last year whereas Terrell's was five points better. EC's 3 point shooting was 30%, not good, but the eye test of his shots - way off the mark with airballs - was even more telling. Never a Fatts fan, he is woeful on treys - again the eye test shows many were not even close and more revealing was that his pathetic 28% shooting on the second most shots taken (remember his PT averages 18 minutes) became even worse in crunch time. If you want to see a great frosh, just look at Davidson's Grady.
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Was at a concert last night in Montreal - told myself don't check the score of the game until after the show....naturally around 930 I gave in and checked and saw we were up 6 with a 1:30ish left and figured we would probably pull it out. Two songs later I checked score again to verify that we pulled it out and welp....

Tough loss especially the from everyone's descriptions of missing FT's...Team has certainly cost themselves in regards to seeding but still so much opportunity in front of them to have a special ending to the season.

Week off is just what the doctor ordered to rest, relax, and refocus...

Go Rhody
Clapton is God
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Lost 3 out of the last 4?

I’m an EC guy and I think he has had an off year. Percentages support that. The airballs underline that. Fatts plays a lot of minutes and does some things well. I don’t think he’s giving better minutes than other people can give. The shooting percentages for him are very low.

These guys arent that young. They are all around 23.

I’ve thought all year that playing 4 guards at a time and even 5 instead of 3 creates difficulties. To me it makes winning the game more of a high wire act. It is reminiscent of belichick’s give up yards and not points defense.

The streak was fun. They win? You shut up and enjoy the ride. They lose 3/4? You get concerned. That’s normal.

It’s not like these games don’t matter. We will watch and see. Hopefully they get better.

I do think they gave great effort and tried to come out and set the pace. They came up short. Maybe they win the A10 tournament? Maybe they get bounced?

I also think there has been too much congratulating themselves.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I don't get why people can't just focus their disappointment or anger on the specific game they just watched. What is the instinct to draw overarching conclusions about the team and the season based on one game?

Good teams, in every sport and especially in college basketball and especially on the road in conference, lose games that they should win. It happens literally all the time. Doesn't make it less frustrating when it happens, and so I'm right there with people losing their minds last night.

There are real consequences to blowing a lead like that, and to having a week like we've had. Those are fair game to talk about. But i don't think it makes a lot of sense to conclude based on a bad few days that the quality of the team is drastically different than what we all thought it was a week ago. Teams go thru hard weeks all the time, they blow leads, they get into mental funks, they get embarrassed on their home floor or field. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to draw conclusions about a team based on what they look like at their worst and their lowest. Think of all the teams that have done big things that at some point along the way looked like they were completely finished. Hell, you don't have to look that far around here - this team was there last year.

Maybe they don't pull out of this, lose their next two and this promising season ends disappointingly. But I think it is just as likely that we don't end up thinking a lot of about these last two games when we think back about this season 5, 10, 20 years from now. The talent is certainly there to win the kind of games that would make people forget about this week. It just depends on how they respond and what team shows up the next two weekends, and I don't think you necessarily know based on the team we saw this past week.
For me my concerns are certainly not based on just one game
Davidson - only 2 blocked shots and only 2 steals - defense led team? defense leads to offense but we are not getting the steals
St Joseph's at home losing by an astounding and alarming margin
Dayton was a good game
LaSalle in OT could have lost - but most alarming was our inability to stop BJ Johnson - and we are a defensively motivated team
St Bonaventure loss

Jarvis Garrett 0-15 in the last 4 games
EC shooting poorly
Center position adequate at best
PG shooting percentage
Steals down

I'll be in DC and will hope for the best and will be ready to go to the NCAA regardless of where it is but I'm far more concerned about game 1 than I was 2 weeks ago - and not just from observations from one game
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

People are saying that EC has never been the same since the knee injury. But he was fantastic at the end of last season. I don't understand what is wrong right now. Is the wrist bothering him? Is that why his outside shooting is so horrendous lately? But it's not just his shooting. The bad turnovers, the bad defense. I love EC and everything he's done for our program, but he's really been playing poorly, especially recently. We need him if we're going to have any kind of tournament success this year. Anybody have any ideas what's up with him?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well at least some of you are able to get back to being miserable again. You must be happy about that at least.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Well at least some of you are able to get back to being miserable again. You must be happy about that at least.
Like I said, this team affects my life way too much. I wish they didn't.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The talent of this team and its abilities have not changed. Its issues appear to be more psychological. I agree with others that they have lost their edge and the recent losses seem to have now affected their confidence. I think that the league regular season championship celebration had an adverse effect. I had thought after last year that they were mature enough to put that into its proper perspective and immediately move on. That apparently did not happen. I think they have been on coast mode for parts of the last month. They played some bad teams performing poorly and still won which may have only increased their sense of entitlement. Getting the A-10 top seed and being bandied as an NCAA lock may also have contributed to their complacency. This team as the case with its coach needs to play with a chip on its shoulder and give maximum effort. That has been lacking. One of Dan's faults has been that he often lets emotion get the best of him and sometimes has a tough time putting setbacks behind him. This seems to have translated over to the team last year up through the Fordham loss. They however seemed to ultimately overcome that putting it behind them and went on a roll when their backs were up against the wall. They need to get the attitude and confidence they had late last year. As was the case with Austin Powers, they lost their mojo and need it back. There are no severe injuries hampering them. They have all the necessary tools at their disposal. They just have to put it all back together mentally and meet the challenge before them. It is up to Dan and his players. The question is will they do it now when it is needed before time runs out?
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How many times in your life have you actually seen the foul at the end strategy work? Once...twice..we had it almost work on us a couple times earlier in the season and work last night...WTF! This was right up there with the Stanford game but with a lot less on the line...
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Well at least some of you are able to get back to being miserable again. You must be happy about that at least.
Like I said, this team affects my life way too much. I wish they didn't.
I hear ya, me too. My post definitely wasn't directed at you though for the record. We posted at pretty much the same time I think.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Get off your high horse.

No one here roots for them to lose and no one is happy when they do.

Fact is same as wins, not all losses are created equal.

If they had gone out and simply lost a close road game last night, basically everyone would've shrugged and said oh well.

Difference is they flat out gave the game away. You're damn right people are gonna be pissed when they're up 6 and going to the line with 40 seconds left and manage to lose.

That is Stanford level of choke and frankly something we all lived through every fucking season from 2002 to 2012
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Get off your high horse.

No one here roots for them to lose and no one is happy when they do.

Fact is same as wins, not all losses are created equal.

If they had gone out and simply lost a close road game last night, basically everyone would've shrugged and said oh well.

Difference is they flat out gave the game away. You're damn right people are gonna be pissed when they're up 6 and going to the line with 40 seconds left and manage to lose.

That is Stanford level of choke and frankly something we all lived through every fucking season from 2002 to 2012
I'm pissed to, that wasn't my point. But don't let that get in the way of your tirade.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Nothing can possibly top an Austin Powers reference

Strong!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

These guys aren't that young. They are all around 23.

Really? I'll bet Fatts, Dowtin and Langevine are 20 years old at the most.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"These guys aren't that young. They are all around 23."

KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Tougher road now but I still think Sweet 16 is what determines success for this season
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Nothing can possibly top an Austin Powers reference

Strong!

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

PeteRI wrote:"These guys aren't that young. They are all around 23."

5 seniors. 3 of them are actually 5th year. Jared is 23 they said the other day.

Obviously fatts is younger.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

As frustrating as last night was our goals are still in front of us

One week for DH to grill the team and get us ready for our 2nd season

Got to get that confidence back we have the talent to make a deep run especially if we get the right matchups though losing these late games is killing our seed
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Chris DiSano‏ @CDiSano44 · 4m4 minutes ago
I’m not a fan of the term hero ball in 99/100 cases. Today, I’ve seen it to describe Terrell’s gamble last night. A mistake - but motivated by trying to make a play & win. Not be a hero. He’ll learn. But that kid is all team and not selfish. Hero ball is a tired misapplied term.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fans are frustrated and upset and disappointed. All of which is fine and understandable. But we are embarrassing ourselves here and on twitter. Not just with extremely emotional statements about the team and the players, but also just horrid basketball takes. That's what Chris was responding to there. I need a URI win as much to make the bad takes stop as I need it as a fan of the team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It's really difficult to watch EC struggle in these types of games

Some of his misses aren't even close from 3 and now when he drives you have to hold your breath something bad will happen

He needs to regain confidence along with a few of the others
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Wow it sucks to read through these posts, some of you guys are the most obnoxious fans. Everyone's in a good mood and happy when we're winning but then we lose a few games and suddenly everyone's bawling their eyes out and attacking the players. Huge, YUUGE line between constructive criticism and annoying whining.

We have the same group of guys we did a week ago, and our talent hasn't suddenly evaporated. Just need to refocus and get ready for the postseason, where the games matter more.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

The good thing is that we still control our own destiny

I’m just happy this didn’t happen in the NCAA’s

We’ll regroup
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah that's so true better this happened now and not later !!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Not to pick on EC and his shot but it has clearly disappeared. Most of his 3 pointers miss badly and let's not forget he was 0 for 5 on free throws at LaSalle. Let's face it 0 for 5 is beyond bad. We need him to find his shot this week if we expect to win the A 10 tourney. Really don't think we can do it without him.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It sucks they lost, but no need to bash the kids. And yes they are kids even at 23. Attending a funeral yesterday helps with gaining perspective. Furthermore, think about what the seniors have on their plate. The NBA is a long shot at best, and that's just for one of them. The rest have to figure out what they're going to be doing for the rest of their lives. Think that might be stressful? Plus two of them have kids. The seniors have a lot more to deal with than the younger kids. I hate the way they lost, but give them a break.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Man, I'm still thinking about last night's game... it was a heart breaking loss.

I think what's so difficult to discover about the losses to St. Bonaventure and Davidson (and the win over La Salle) is that I believed this team, unlike many teams of the past, was now exempt from giving away games at the end. They've been taking care of the ball, grabbing key rebounds and making their free throws. Successfully doing all the things a team needs to do to close out games at the end.

It's been a joy to watch this group play with such end-of-game purpose and efficiency. It seemed like the ghosts of past URI teams had been completely exorcised.

Make no mistake, I'm a little concerned about this team's self confidence going into the A10 tournament. But the reality is that all of our goals for this season are still intact and still achievable.

I'm still heart broken today, because I'm a huge fan, and it hurts to effen lose, but by Friday... I'll be ready to cheer my ass off again.

#GoRhody.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

TruePoint wrote:...The talent is certainly there to win the kind of games that would make people forget about this week. It just depends on how they respond and what team shows up the next two weekends, and I don't think you necessarily know based on the team we saw this past week.
Well put, and I agree. But, the team seems to be trending "past peak", or at least on a down-trend. Inconsistency is prevalent, which is a terrible trait to be exhibiting at this point in the season. The team is not spreading it out amongst players as they were earlier in the season, both on offense and defense.

For most of us here, as long-time, die-hard fans, it's hard to get over the hump of the "always a bridesmaid" feeling. Last season the tournament run was awesome, unexpected, and happened in a much more relaxed, un-pressured atmosphere. This year, with all of our hopes and expectations ratcheted up a notch or ten, these tough losses feel that much worse.

We still have a good team, but they have to find it again.
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Too many guys have hit a wall, or something.

Fatts and EC can't hit the side of a barn. Dowtin's even slumping. Same with Berry. Stan's beat up. JG's sick or playing like it.

Against Davidson Dan tried to ride Terrell to the finish with help from Cyril....but JT ran out of gas?

Maybe the fact that we have no more road games will help?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are missing way too many layups now too and it's killing us

We should have been up double figs at the break
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote:Too many guys have hit a wall, or something.

Fatts and EC can't hit the side of a barn. Dowtin's even slumping. Same with Berry. Stan's beat up. JG's sick or playing like it.

Against Davidson Dan tried to ride Terrell to the finish with help from Cyril....but JT ran out of gas?

Maybe the fact that we have no more road games will help?
Agreed,

Everyone is off.I'll reiterate what I've been saying before. Throughout the season, we had a low post presence, and it helped spread the floor when our guards couldn't shoot. Berry was the main option with Langevine getting clean-up points. Berry, in my opinion, looks more out of shape than he did before and was once averaging double-digit points. Now he barely gets off one shot. It's KILLING the rams.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah looking forward to next year hopefully pairing Cyril and Harris to start upfront in a more conventional lineup ???
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

TruePoint wrote:I don't get why people can't just focus their disappointment or anger on the specific game they just watched. What is the instinct to draw overarching conclusions about the team and the season based on one game?

TP

Would you rule out any external "distractions"? The typical end of the year chit chat if you know what I mean? I do not know the rules so am just trying not go where I shouldn't.

Thanks!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The thought crossed my mind after the Joes game. It reminded me of Notre Dame against Alabama in the NCG in 2012 where the Irish players all knew about the Manti Te’o thing before it had come out publicly and they didn’t even show up to the game (not that they’d have won, but they didn’t even play), or of the Pats/Packers SB when the Pats players all knew Parcells was leaving. I was just trying to explain in my own head what I had just seen.

But I don’t think that is what’s going on here. There is zero noise about that in the wind, at least among people I’ve talked to, and there really isn’t a scenario I could see where something has already happened and the players are aware of it. I guess theoretically anything is possible but I am practically certain that the Senior Night thing was an isolated situation, the causes of which I think we pretty much understand. The Bonnies and Davidson losses, while frustrating, were both just typical conference road losses against good teams that everyone has. I don’t see any connection between those two games and the Joes game, which was just a no-show. If they had no-showed at Davidson I’d be more worried.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

URI'21 wrote:Wow it sucks to read through these posts, some of you guys are the most obnoxious fans. Everyone's in a good mood and happy when we're winning but then we lose a few games and suddenly everyone's bawling their eyes out and attacking the players. Huge, YUUGE line between constructive criticism and annoying whining.

We have the same group of guys we did a week ago, and our talent hasn't suddenly evaporated. Just need to refocus and get ready for the postseason, where the games matter more.
Don’t view the forum for at least a day or two after a loss. It’s like Groundhog Day, same people with negative posts and the same people with posts complaining about negative posts.

With that said, I still believe we have the talent to make the sweet sixteen but clearly we need to get back in gear for that to happen. Right now this team reminds me of Dayton from two years ago. Dayton was ranked as high as 15 with a record of 21-3 then finished with 3 losses in 6 games, similar losses to ours as well. In the postseason they lost in the a10 semis and got blown out in the first round as a 7 seed.

Not saying that will happen to us but it’s not good timing to being playing our worst basketball of the year.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obviously, Rhody has inflicted a lot of damage on itself in the recent losses (mainly poor shooting). However, part of the reason for the losses can be attributed to the match-ups. All three teams URI lost to take good care of the ball and avoid turnovers. Rhody has lived off scoring in transition off turnovers. It has not been able to do so in these games. It has had to play much more of a half court game and it struggles in this style.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

josephski wrote:
URI'21 wrote:Wow it sucks to read through these posts, some of you guys are the most obnoxious fans. Everyone's in a good mood and happy when we're winning but then we lose a few games and suddenly everyone's bawling their eyes out and attacking the players. Huge, YUUGE line between constructive criticism and annoying whining.

Don’t view the forum for at least a day or two after a loss. It’s like Groundhog Day, same people with negative posts and the same people with posts complaining about negative posts.
Pretty much what I did, but not really by choice. Lost power from Friday afternoon until this afternoon. No cable or internet, but fortunately, we have a generator...because the only thing that sounds more annoying than a generator running next to your house, is when it's your neighbor's and you don't have one. Even the best teams lose games they aren't supposed to and get pounded when they aren't supposed to... fortunately, this isn't college football, where that's not allowed...

New season starts Friday...
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

TruePoint wrote:The thought crossed my mind after the Joes game. It reminded me of Notre Dame against Alabama in the NCG in 2012 where the Irish players all knew about the Manti Te’o thing before it had come out publicly and they didn’t even show up to the game (not that they’d have won, but they didn’t even play), or of the Pats/Packers SB when the Pats players all knew Parcells was leaving. I was just trying to explain in my own head what I had just seen.

But I don’t think that is what’s going on here. There is zero noise about that in the wind, at least among people I’ve talked to, and there really isn’t a scenario I could see where something has already happened and the players are aware of it. I guess theoretically anything is possible but I am practically certain that the Senior Night thing was an isolated situation, the causes of which I think we pretty much understand. The Bonnies and Davidson losses, while frustrating, were both just typical conference road losses against good teams that everyone has. I don’t see any connection between those two games and the Joes game, which was just a no-show. If they had no-showed at Davidson I’d be more worried.
Thanks. The fans here deserve to have no distractions. I really like your message board. Thank you for having me.

We were thinking alike.