Cordischi of GoLocalProv: Oh No! Hurley back to Jersey???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: oh no!

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't care who Rutgers may or may not hire. I just don't want it to be a Hurley.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The Rutgers hoops job is the last one I would want to take. Why take the risk? The probability of success is minimal. Most up-and-comers would wait for a better opportunity. I don't see Hurley going there. No way Shaka goes there.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

A B10 coaching job would be hard to dismiss.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rutgers would do well to get Al and I think Al would like a job like that in a top conf, I like the fit for both sides
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would imagine that LaSalle's Dr. John Giannini might get some consideration for the Rutgers job, especially if he leads LaSalle to the NCAA this year. Giannini coached at D3 Rowan in NJ for 7 seasons, 8 seasons at Maine, and is now in his 9th season at LaSalle. His Explorers made the NIT last year and appear poised for their frst NCAA appearance since joining the A-10. He could become a hot commodity this year with a NCAA bid and get hyped for being able to win at a place like LaSalle. His connections to Philly and Jersey also help.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

3wisemen wrote:This might be the only fan base in the country who thinks Al Skinner is still worthy of such a job. He's 60 years old and the assistants who did most of the heavy lifting at BC (Coen, Cooley, O'Shea) have their own gigs now -- and are doing just fine, thank you very much. Rutgers? Coaching in the Big 10 after the way it ended at BC? No shot.
AFter the way it ended at BC? Skinner took a program in the dumps and went to the NCAA's repeatedly as a member of the Big East and the ACC. BC finished first in the ACC one year! He's BC's all-time winning coach. And they've sucked ever since he left. He got completely screwed at BC. And the whole argument that his assistants did all the heavy lifting is crap spread by Bob Ryan. Talk to O'Shea, Coen and Cooley and they will tell you something different. Let's see, O'Shea has had him at Bryant working with one of this players. Cooley considers Al a mentor.
Lavin got the St. John's job after being out of basketball. Brown is older than Al and SMU gave him a job.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Cordischi of GoLocalProv: Oh No! Hurley back to Jersey??

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The bigger question is whether or not any fan base could get excited about bringing in a coach who will be 61 years old at the start of next season who hasn't coached a college basketball game since 2010.

Let's be honest, the amount of guys who are that age and might bring excitement can likely be counted on 1 hand and are likely HOF type coaches (see Brown, Larry).

Does Skinner really have that type of pedigree?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Skinner is done. He's earned a great retirement.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The bigger question is whether or not any fan base could get excited about bringing in a coach who will be 61 years old at the start of next season who hasn't coached a college basketball game since 2010.

Let's be honest, the amount of guys who are that age and might bring excitement can likely be counted on 1 hand and are likely HOF type coaches (see Brown, Larry).

Does Skinner really have that type of pedigree?
Rutgers won't be trying to win the press conference. They just did that. They need a winner.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does this ease people's fears?

Dan Hurley‏@dhurley15

Apologies to our fans and everyone associated with the University for tonight. My responsibility to fix this program.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

OMG! THIS MEANS HE'S LEAVING ON A BUS!
I THINK HE MEANT IT IS HIS RESPONSIBILITY TO FIX RUTGERS!
HELLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Funny funny ha ha, Rod.

He's not going anywhere.

OK???????

I do like the tweet. It was needed.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe he meant Seton Hall?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

61 is not old for a coach

If I was a Rutgers fan and Skinner got the job I would be pretty happy especially considering all the garbage coaches they have had in the last 20 yrs
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

reef wrote:61 is not old for a coach

If I was a Rutgers fan and Skinner got the job I would be pretty happy especially considering all the garbage coaches they have had in the last 20 yrs
I don't think 61 years old is old for a coach. I do think it could be old for a coach who is coming in, needs to completely rebuild a program, and oh yeah, hasn't coached since 2010.

Let's not make him out to be a wizard. He was a good coach who surrounded himself with a great coaching staff. To me anyway, he's not the type of instant impact coach where you know you can pencil him in for great success.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Keep in mind, the cupboard won't be bare. Whoever takes over will have solid recruits, provided they stay
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Al is good enough to get you to the Dance every few years, but not advance very often when he gets there. That's what he did at URI, and the same at BC, although he had more resources there, and made the tourney more often.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rambone 78 wrote:Al is good enough to get you to the Dance every few years, but not advance very often when he gets there. That's what he did at URI, and the same at BC, although he had more resources there, and made the tourney more often.
Al didn't get fired at BC because of his basketball record, he got fired because he wouldn't smooze and fund raise. He felt it wasn't his job and they canned him for it.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don't think Skinner is all wrong for feeling the way he does, but at schools where a particular sport or sports in general doesn't quite sell itself, you need to work extra hard.

PC, URI, BC, you can't be afraid to mix it up. It's not like Kentucky or Duke where donations are just gonna flock.

At Boston College, basketball had the very rare situation where it is basically the 3rd biggest sport on campus.

I'm pretty sure both Cooley and Hurley have taken it upon themselves to involve more in fundraising and revitalizing their respective fan bases.

His last 3 years were 2 losing seasons and 1 bubble NCAA appearance. For whatever reason, BC late in his tenure was trending really down. Have to wonder why.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

BC knew about Skinner before it hired him. But that was a different AD, right? Skinner was never interested spending his nights at fundraisers and cocktail gigs. Schools like that stuff.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramblinrose wrote: But that was a different AD, right? Skinner was never interested spending his nights at fundraisers and cocktail gigs. Schools like that stuff.
Just did a quick search, Gene DeFilippo started September 1997. Skinner was hired in April of 1997.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cant wait to follow the coaching carousel again

Its always a blast
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

With all these changes in the Boston radio market, I wonder if there's a regular gig for Scottso and his buddy, "P90X" Shepard?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

3-15 conference record for Seton Hall
Both of their recruits for next season have been arrested (Carr in August, Wilbut this month)

And Zagoria says, from a source, that Willard is getting a contract extension through the 19-20 season?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sounds like a Baron type extension.

Good for them. Not.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:Al is good enough to get you to the Dance every few years, but not advance very often when he gets there. That's what he did at URI, and the same at BC, although he had more resources there, and made the tourney more often.
This thinking kills me. How many schools would be happy with going to the tournament as often as Al took BC?
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Dan just went out of his way on the post game show to say that they love it here and are in it for the long haul. He said that there are a lot of things that are said this time of year, but they are happy here...take for what it's worth. But he also said to send money...the bus isn't fun.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We love having you here too, Dan and Bobby!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Amen, ATP.
Got an email from someone inside, saying Dan isn't going anywhere,
and is totally committed to the kids and the program.
I know for a fact, Dan's wife loves it here, and Bobby really likes Edgewood.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

he's not bringing in 8 kids (4 transfers and 4 new faces) and bailing, end of story.

if he bails if/when he is offered an ungodly amount of money no one can blame him, but that won't be until he achieves real success at URI which should satisfy all of us.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yep, and he would not want his next stop to be a bottom feeder BCS program. He would want a national name program who needs its next winning coach to step in, or at least reinvigorate the program and push it from perennial NCAA participant to one with a realistic chance to compete for a Final Four.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

agree, he isnt going from one stepping stone gig to another one (SHU, Rutgers). if he ever leaves it is to a destination job, neither of those are that.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote:he's not bringing in 8 kids (4 transfers and 4 new faces) and bailing, end of story.

if he bails if/when he is offered an ungodly amount of money no one can blame him, but that won't be until he achieves real success at URI which should satisfy all of us.

Yeah, don't underestimate how difficult it was for him to leave those players he brought in at Wagner. Repeating that is not the goal right now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't think even if Rutgers offered Dan a boatload of money, would he leave URI now.

Anyway, Rutgers' season most likely ends by Thursday night, so if Rice is going to be let go, we'll know very soon after that.

If the job opens up, hopefully Dan will inform them [and then inform us] that he's not interested in the position at the present time, and end the speculation.

Otherwise, people will be on edge around here for sure.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Thorr Bjorn Rumored to be Strong Candidate for Xavier AD

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Easy Rod. I'm on your side on this one. You won me over. People are just reacting to the news that Hurley is probably on Rutgers list. Which isn't surprising at all really.

We don't even know if Rice is going to be fired. It does look likely, however.
I have gone to the Rutgers Message Boards and see nothing about Hurley to Rutgers or Rice being fired - other than way back when Rice was suspended during the season. What Rutgers Board is all this so called chatter occurring?
TexRam
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TexRam »

Agreed that he is probably setting his sights on a better job than Rutgers.

There was a pretty good Grantland article on ESPN last week, profiling Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens. Speaking to Shaka, the writer brought up the notion of moving on to a low BCS if the offer came, and Shaka apparently shot him a look and said "a low BCS???"

You would have to think Dan would aim high as well.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/901 ... butler-vcu
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The difference is in the coach and where they are in their career.

If Smart had just finished an 8 win season at VCU and Rutgers (or a similar quality B1G/SEC program) came to him and said "Hey Shaka, $2.5 million per season!", do you think really think he would have the same attitude towards "the low-major?" He would at the very least seriously consider the change, especially if the money was 2 or 3x what he was being offered.

The difference is now, Smart has a 108-35 career record, including a CBI championship his first season, a Final Four his second season (which was really 5 wins because of the play-in game), and a 3rd round appearance last year. His career NCAA record is 6-2 at VCU in 3 seasons, and he is poised for more this year.

Why would he be interested in going to a low-major at this point? The beauty at this point is that Smart is making boatloads of money every year and holds all of the leverage on to where his next career move is. He's likely making as much money at VCU as he could at most major-conference programs.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hopefully Dan will be in Shaka's or Brad's position in say, 3 years.

If so, he will be making more money here for sure.

I could see a school like Michigan State or Ohio St making a run at Dan, if their coaches were to leave/retire. How about Duke? Haha. He's got a lot of work to do, to get to that point.

That's the kind of school Dan would aim for, I would think. If Rutgers wasn't in NJ, I doubt there would be any talk of the Hurleys leaving.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

66, the issue is, Rutgers could offer Dan 2 mil a year, which sounds tempting, but where would his career end up?

Dead end city, B10 or not.

Something tells me Dan knows where he wants to go down the road, and he wouldn't or couldn't get there going to a program like Rutgers. He's willing to wait.

The money will come, first here, then more at a big program later. He knows that, if he does what he says he will do at URI.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:66, the issue is, Rutgers could offer Dan 2 mil a year, which sounds tempting, but where would his career end up?

Something tells me Dan knows where he wants to go down the road, and he wouldn't or couldn't get there going to a program like Rutgers. He's willing to wait.

The money will come, first here, then more at a big program later. He knows that, if he does what he says he will do at URI.
First, $2MM/year is a little more than tempting. We also forget that coaches have egos. Any coach worth his salt is not going to look at a situation where he is going to be in a major hoops conference (either first or second best), with a $2MM salary (and more for his assistants), in his home state with monster prep schools to recruit from and say "you know what, I can't get it done there". It's what makes these guys good. I still think it is a few years away from happening but let's not pretend it wouldn't be VERY tempting.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Tempting yes, not enough to leave here yet though.

Rutgers needs to upgrade their facilities to be on par with the rest of that conference.

Maybe they should spend some of their new found B10 cash on that first.

The ONE thing or two that I would be concerned about, would be if URI backed off on their committment to improving the program, for whatever reason. Or, if the possible new AD isn't to the Hurley's liking.

I don't think either of those things will happen. So no worries.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:66, the issue is, Rutgers could offer Dan 2 mil a year, which sounds tempting, but where would his career end up?

You assume it would be a dead-end. Most would say PC is a dead-end. Others could say URI is a dead-end. It's as dead of an end as any coach can make it. If you hit it with the right coach who can bring in a good recruiting pipeleine and can get the players to buy in, it's more likely a home-run then a dead end.

The problem is that Rutgers has missed on their coaches. They get guys who can coach but not recruit. They get guys who can recruit but can't coach. Seton Hall had a great run in the early-2000s. Coach left, and they struck out after that. I believe Amaker's best year he was a #2 seed in the NCAA. It can be done with the right guy. New Jersey has a great recruiting pipeline, these places just haven't gotten guys who have been able to crack it yet. They've been trying to bring in young coaches with potential who have no history with coaching or handling top talent, and it keeps biting them. Ideally (and this doesn't even extend to Hurley), but they should be going after coaches with a very good background recruiting the NY/NJ area. If a coach can consistently hit on good players out of that area, more often than not they will have a good team.

As these conferences and teams make more $$, they can then afford to pay coaches more and try to retain them. The gap between what the top major conferences pay for coaches and what the bottom major conferences team can pay has tightened significantly over the past decade or so.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Maybe I'm biased, but I think the Rutgers job is as close to career suicide as you can get. It's a nice payday, but it could be your last for a while. None of these guys are starving to death right now, and over the long haul a coach can make more money waiting for the right opportunity.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think it would be hilarious, if Rutgers went after and got Ed Cooley.
Yes, he coaching at home and is impervious to any other offers,
and blah, blah, blah..........
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:I think it would be hilarious, if Rutgers went after and got Ed Cooley.
Yes, he coaching at home and is impervious to any other offers,
and blah, blah, blah..........
Rod, Ed Cooley will leave if he gets blown away with an offer. He's making $1.5 million right now. If a team is willing to blow away a coach who has done nothing for $3 million+, I'm sure he would have to seriously look at it. Unfortunately in all of college sports, money usually talks. PC clearly would not match that sort of offer, maybe a decent raise and extension, but they would never pay him Top 10 money unless he warranted it.

Cooley is compensated very well as far as head coaches go. As of last year, he was I believe the 32nd best compensated coach in the country (pretty nice for a coach whose career marks consist of 1-1 in the NIT, 1-1 in the CIT and 0-0 in the NCAA Tournament).

And BTW, PC was a school that took a major risk on Ed Cooley, who had not proven any sort of success in the postseason or at the midmajor level. It has worked out so far because his recruiting pipeline is right in the backyard.
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Ok, I guess we can finally kill this one... Mike Rice will return next year as coach for Rutgers.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ext-season
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Now can we stop all this "insider" baloney?

Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger
on March 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM, updated March 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

"Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti: Mike Rice will be back next season
Big East Tournament: No season will top epic 1985 campaign
Politi: Big East Tournament will never be the same, but that doesn't mean it can't be good.

"All of the rumors and speculation regarding the job status of Rutgers basketball coach Mike Rice can be put to rest -- at least for the time being.

Athletic director Tim Pernetti told The Star-Ledger today that Rice, whose team has fallen short of expectations in terms of its won-loss record, will be back next year for a fourth season. Rice has two years left on a five-year deal."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

But Cordischi talked to a guy!!!!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So did someone else on this board.
Guess their sources were bogus?
I'm sure if Rice doesn't turn things around next season,
this stuff will resurface.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Not saying I don't believe the article, but how many countless statements are made as confidence boosters every year that never turn out true?

Heck, didn't URI tell Baron he was safe last year not long before they fired him?