Cordischi of GoLocalProv: Oh No! Hurley back to Jersey???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: oh no!

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramfan85 wrote:Did Scottso call you guys paranoid? That's what he called URI fans on his radio sports (golf) show.
He used to drive me cray when he spent time on the air talking about "his" golf game. I should have called in to talk about my day in the dojo. It's about as interesting to listeners.
This is what he said to me..

So, Scotty, where are you getting your information regarding Dan Hurley? What a garbage piece of journalism that is on golocal. Why don't you also state that Ed Cooley might end up at URI. After all, that's where his coaching roots are. You've lost so much credibility with that article. What a joke! By the way, Bobby is the older brother. If you're going to continue to put trash out like this, at least try to get SOME of your facts straight. What an embarrassment.

Scott Cordischi
Unlike when I nailed the Cooley & Hurley stories, this is a mere speculation piece and I have no problem with what was written. I understand where loyal Rhody fans would be upset at the possibility of losing a coach after 1 year but I believe that the possibility exists and THAT is based on more than just speculation. I believe Mike Rice will be fired at season's end. I believe that Hurley could be high on their list. I believe that he would strongly consider taking that job if offered to him. What's so wrong about writing that?

Because your PC bias is shining through once again. This story is a PC fan's wet dream. You are supposedly an unbiased journalist? Prove it. Write a story SPECULATING what schools might come calling to offer a job to coach Cooley after seeing what he is accomplishing at PC. After all, speculation pieces are your specialty!

Scott Cordischi
Oh stop! I have ZERO PC bias! And, as far as Cooley is concerned, what makes his story different is that he IS home in RI. Hurley is from NJ and I believe the lure of returning home is a strong one. FYI, I have a Syracuse bias because I went to school there and I want URI, PC, Brown and Bryant all to do well because they are our local D1 programs. I have no preference of one over the other regardless of what you believe.
Last edited by Billyboy78 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Yes, Scottso. And, all aspirin are alike. What a tool!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Only RIers would believe that EG is better than any place in NJ to live. I wonder how BH likes Providence versus NYC as a place to hang out? I grew up in southern NE and like it better, but I would like NJ better if that is where I grew up; but I still don't believe that EG is a better place to live than anywhere in NJ.
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugh Cordischi makes me ill !!!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody72 wrote:Only RIers would believe that EG is better than any place in NJ to live. I wonder how BH likes Providence versus NYC as a place to hang out? I grew up in southern NE and like it better, but I would like NJ better if that is where I grew up; but I still don't believe that EG is a better place to live than anywhere in NJ.
Geez, I think this is a bit harsh in the other direction - ANY place in Jersey? You're saying Trenton is a better place to live than EG? It also kind of ignores the whole country vs. city debate, and the fact that both the Hurleys have families and are raising kids. EG is very small, but it's a pretty scenic place, and you have access to a very good public school system there, probably among the best in the state with Barrington and Narragansett as far as a public education goes.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

EG has Hilltop; game, set, match
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

And Hurley prays at Our Lady of Mercy Church, same as Joe Hassett ... We could probably set up a pretty cool stalker schedule with all of the information posted here :D
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Rhody72 wrote:Only RIers would believe that EG is better than any place in NJ to live. I wonder how BH likes Providence versus NYC as a place to hang out? I grew up in southern NE and like it better, but I would like NJ better if that is where I grew up; but I still don't believe that EG is a better place to live than anywhere in NJ.
I grew up in NJ and went to school in RI, there's really no comparison between EG and the nice NYC suburbs like Short Hills, Fort Lee/Alpine, Rumson, and Franklin Lakes...not to mention the towns in CT, LI and Westchester. Apples to oranges. Take a drive through those towns, they make EG look like Cranston.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Guess you haven't been to Western Cranston or Pawtuxet Point with all the waterfront mansions?
There are some gated communities in EG that are incredible. Try getting off main street sometime.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

NJ has some beautiful places.
But, I'd bet a lot of NJ residents were wishing they lived in EG (or anywhere else) after "Sandy."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think of the actual stink on the northern coast, and such gems as Bayonne, Patterson, Jersey City, Newark, and The Oranges.
Atlantic City has slums that make Roxbury look good.
Those dumps vastly outnumber places like Toms River and Princeton.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:I think of the actual stink on the northern coast, and such gems as Bayonne, Patterson, Jersey City, Newark, and The Oranges.
Atlantic City has slums that make Roxbury look good.
Those dumps vastly outnumber places like Toms River and Princeton.
This is one of the dumber conversations. Both NJ and RI have super nice places to live if you have the cash, which he does/will.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

Keaney.Blue wrote:
I grew up in NJ and went to school in RI, there's really no comparison between EG and the nice NYC suburbs like Short Hills, Fort Lee/Alpine, Rumson, and Franklin Lakes...not to mention the towns in CT, LI and Westchester. Apples to oranges. Take a drive through those towns, they make EG look like Cranston.
THIS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I don't know. I always feel uncomfortable bashing Jersey as so many students and alums are from there. Maybe back in the 80's it was ok. But I appreciate all the great people who attend URI that live in Jersey. Home is home. Why try and make RI above Jersey? Makes no sense.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I bet both Hurleys love it in scenic RI !!!
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I thought the Hurleys live in Central Falls.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Hey, URI is Rutgers North. I doubt Dan Hurley's thinking is about Short Hills vs. EG. This guy is here to coach a team. If the team succeeds at a high level, he will probably go to a bigger program. It will be about the program more than the location. Tom Penders loved South County and lives there now. It didn't stop him from going to Texas.
Neither Rutgers nor Seton Hall have been anything to get excited about for a long time. I think when Hurley goes it will be for a better program than those.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Lived in RI and NJ 10+ years each. Both have great places, both have not-so-great. Would live in NJ again if circumstances dictated it (work).
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If you have financial wherewithal there are great places to live in every state in the Union and in many foreign countries.....if you are living on a shoestring everywhere is terrible....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

A couple of things,

One, I grew up in NJ and loved it. When I went to URI, I fell in love with the state, the University ect... It would be a toss up to where I'd choose. Unfortunately I don't live in either place now.

Also, for what ever its worth, there is a bunch of discussion on the Rutgers message board about the coaching situation, and the masses are calling for a big splash hire, a more established coach with a proven record. That's not to say that Tim Pernetti the AD wouldn't go after a young up and comer like DH, but it seems the fan base want something much different.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I still say they make a run at Shaka smart
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Shaka might be open to offers now that the A10 is going to be a much diminished conference.

However, is Rutgers, B10 or not, going to be that much of un upgrade?

I think he would aim a lot higher.

I would say the same for Hurley in a few years.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Shaka stayed at VCU when it was in the CAA. Diminished A10 is still better than CAA
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It is, as long as VCU stays in it.

I would be surprised, however, if Shaka stays there very much longer.

Hey, if he does stay, maybe that's a model for Dan to follow!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Wouldn't surprise me if Rutgers made a push for Smart, but it would surprise me a lot if he accepted. Rutgers would restrict his potential upward mobility in 2-3 years ("destination jobs" might pass him by if he struggles to find immediate success there) whereas due to his success at VCU, he could shoot a lot higher than Rutgers as soon as next year if the right opportunity comes along. I don't think Rutgers qualifies as the right opportunity.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Rutgers can't get anywhere close to Shaka Smart. He turned down $2.5 million/year from Illinois, which is a much better program. He also said no to NC State and Georgia Tech. It seems to me like he's waiting to take a BIG leap -- like UCLA.
And Smart wasn't being paid CAA money. His last extension was for $1.4 million/year.
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Wonder what would have happened had we closed the deal on Dave Cowens instead of Jerry D?
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

The Rutgers fans are debating an Al Skinner hire quite a bit....
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cowens would have done what Hurley did. Toss half those clowns off
the team, and start over. After he personally beat the crap out of them.
Skinner would be a good choice for Rutgers. Established record, and far away fron the "hot young coach"
that they recently hired.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Al would be a great hire for Rutgers. Wonder who would be on his staff: Preston, A R-D, Bonzie?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Maybe Pat Duquette?

Al was doing some advising to the BABC which, ironically, he never had a great relationship with while recruiting. The key, as always, is recruiting. Guys like Cooley, Coen, O'Shea aren't coming with him and were the engine of his good runs.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd hate to see us lose Preston's Michigan connections.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

talk about coaches, do you remember Billy Bayno. He brings back memories of Lamar Odom and his exit from UNLV to URI. Interesting story and nice to see he has righted himself after a battle with alcoholism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sport ... .html?_r=2&
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bayno was Cal's right hand man at UMass, too.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I just think Preston is where he wants to be now (and that's just a guess because I do not know Preston). What would be a better situation for him? I'm sure he'd eventually like to be a head coach. Most of us think the Hurleys wil be here a few years. When they leave, say in 4 years, wouldn't Preston be a candidate for this job, and a more likely candidate if he remained here rather than taking an assistant's job somewhere else?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not unless Bobby decides he doesn't want the job.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Skinner to RU makes tons of sense
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

I think Preston would have to weigh how he likes URI and the Hurleys vs. Skinner and starting over at RU. I don't know if Dave Cowens would have been a great coach. He wasn't a great coach in the NBA. And the college game might have tested his patience. But he would have given the program some credibility and cleaned house of Mebury and TBell and those other idiots who demanded Jerry and no one else.
The fall, if there was one, would never have have been as bad as it was with Jerry. Jerry was a glorified AAU guy, no interest in fundamentals or how to play. It was a schoolyard mess from the get-go, and it paved the way for the mediocre Baron two years later.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jerry D won 3 or 4 games in his first season with Marbury, Bell, Woodward, Vinson, and Womack.
ALL top 100 recruits!
That team, at the very least, should have been an NIT team.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

This might be the only fan base in the country who thinks Al Skinner is still worthy of such a job. He's 60 years old and the assistants who did most of the heavy lifting at BC (Coen, Cooley, O'Shea) have their own gigs now -- and are doing just fine, thank you very much. Rutgers? Coaching in the Big 10 after the way it ended at BC? No shot.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think the jury is still out on the Michigan pipeline....no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

3wisemen wrote:This might be the only fan base in the country who thinks Al Skinner is still worthy of such a job. He's 60 years old and the assistants who did most of the heavy lifting at BC (Coen, Cooley, O'Shea) have their own gigs now -- and are doing just fine, thank you very much. Rutgers? Coaching in the Big 10 after the way it ended at BC? No shot.
I think you underestimate how well he did at BC and the dearth of good candidates out there. He went to the NCAAs in 2009 before being fired in 2010. 7 NCAAs in his last ten or so years. It was time for him to go but the guy can flat coach. And the kids that transferred out (Rakim at Fairfield, Heslip at Baylor, and Ravenal at Ohio State) were pretty good. Reggie Jackson turned out to be an NBA first rounder. I don't think Cooley, Coen, or O'Shea recruited any of those guys. You wear out your welcome anywhere unless you are Coach K or a few others but he'd make them respectable, for sure.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Dearth of good candidates? Wait three weeks until the NCAA Tournament. You'll hear plenty of names who are the next hot one. And guys like Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens had to start somewhere.
Al Skinner has done wonderful things in his career, but at this stage he's nobody's idea of a rebuilder. The situation he inherited at BC was much better than the one at Rutgers and he was a much younger, more connected man. He's been out of the game for too long now to be relevant coming back.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

3wisemen wrote:Dearth of good candidates? Wait three weeks until the NCAA Tournament. You'll hear plenty of names who are the next hot one. And guys like Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens had to start somewhere.
Al Skinner has done wonderful things in his career, but at this stage he's nobody's idea of a rebuilder. The situation he inherited at BC was much better than the one at Rutgers and he was a much younger, more connected man. He's been out of the game for too long now to be relevant coming back.
You need to take a look at what he inherited at BC. The admissions debacle with DePina, Tyler, etc. Scoonie Penn leaving. Look at BC's record and roster his first three years. Decent first year with little Curley than bottoms. Total rebuild job. I'm not saying he is a great fit at 60-I mean, who knows what a specific guy has left in the tank but there would be worse guys to go into the BIG 10.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

And he had a much easier time turning it around playing in the Big East -- where BC was still relevant -- as opposed to playing in the ACC, where eventually Skinner and the program got swallowed up. The administration set him and the entire athletic department up to fail, which he eventually did.
Rutgers is going to be an outcast in the Big 10. It's going to take some serious work to convince anybody in the New Jersey market to get excited. That's never been Al's strong suit. He's not a salesman. He's not a promoter. He isn't up to this sort of work. If he could find a nice, comfortable job in a situation that's already set up for him -- if Josh Pastner bolts Memphis for USC, let's say -- it would be the best fit.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Skinner at this point must be coming around to the reality that his coaching days in big-time D1 hoop are done. Plus, he's being paid handsomely (millions) to NOT coach right now, correct?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

3wisemen wrote:And he had a much easier time turning it around playing in the Big East -- where BC was still relevant -- as opposed to playing in the ACC, where eventually Skinner and the program got swallowed up. The administration set him and the entire athletic department up to fail, which he eventually did.
Rutgers is going to be an outcast in the Big 10. It's going to take some serious work to convince anybody in the New Jersey market to get excited. That's never been Al's strong suit. He's not a salesman. He's not a promoter. He isn't up to this sort of work. If he could find a nice, comfortable job in a situation that's already set up for him -- if Josh Pastner bolts Memphis for USC, let's say -- it would be the best fit.
I agree with this. I think that if Skinner even wants to coach again, there are two types of programs that should be interested: 1) A team with good to great talent in place, but has a sudden exodus or issue with a coach close to a start of a season, and the assistants on hand are either too close to the disposed coach or not ready to step up for some other reason. 2) A completely burnt down and destroyed program, kind of like St. Bonaventure after that scandal with the welding degrees; basically a teardown and rebuild job. I don't think Rutgers fits either one.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Al Skinner does want to coach again. I believe he will be active this off-season in some coaching searches....and I agree he may have to coach at the non-BCS level....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Rutgers is a dead end. Skinner may want to coach again, but is that what he wants? Al is a good coach, not Harrick but more than Baron. He is not a salesman, not a self promoter by any means. Not going to energize a fan base.
BC probably should have kept him. It's been a disaster since then.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I've got to think with a huge boost in money from the Big Ten, and becoming rivals with Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio State, Indiana, Penn St.,etc., .....especially in football....that their program will have a chance to be successful......first in football if they start keeping Jersey kids home, and then football will bootstrap basketball up with it....

.....I have to believe they will spend big-time to bring in coaches in both money sports who will move the alumni base.....