Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Big East - Basketball Only Schools Leaving?

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote:You sure that wasn't New England Tractor Trailor Training School, RI Red?
I asked my source about NETTS. He said they're holding out for the Poison Ivy League.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I was never one to dump on the Big East as a conference and I see the demise of that conference with a degree of sadness. I never quite understood why the BE basketball schools were so much at war with the football schools to the point of breaking away. For the C7, wasn't there some prestige in being a part of a BCS league especially when you consider that most of them are not BCS type schools?

In this coming re-alignment, I see lots of losers, some more than others. How can anyone be happy with trading PC vs. Syracuse, PC vs. Notre Dame, PC vs. Louisville, PC vs. Pitt for PC vs. Dayton, PC vs. Richmond, PC vs. Saint Louis, PC vs. Creighton, etc??
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obs, how about SH or DePaul vs. those teams. Great stuff, huh?

Think I'll pass. Now, if we could somehow get rid of a few bottom feeders in the A10....and yes I know, we've been one ourselves lately. But....

URI is going to be better than a lot of those teams in the C7 plus.

Yep, by golly.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Obadiah wrote:I was never one to dump on the Big East as a conference and I see the demise of that conference with a degree of sadness. I never quite understood why the BE basketball schools were so much at war with the football schools to the point of breaking away. For the C7, wasn't there some prestige in being a part of a BCS league especially when you consider that most of them are not BCS type schools?

In this coming re-alignment, I see lots of losers, some more than others. How can anyone be happy with trading PC vs. Syracuse, PC vs. Notre Dame, PC vs. Louisville, PC vs. Pitt for PC vs. Dayton, PC vs. Richmond, PC vs. Saint Louis, PC vs. Creighton, etc??
I don't think the basketball schools wanted to break away from the football schools. Back in summer of 2011, everyone was happy. The Big East was bringing in TCU to keep the football schools happy, were rumored to be going after Boise. They were offered a TV contract from ESPN which was reasonable but wasn't quite ACC money. The basketball schools were going to get great money, the football schools were going to get good money. Everyone was likely going to be a winner. Insert Syracuse and Pittsburgh. "No way we should accept that deal, we can do better than that!" they told everybody.

Weeks later they are leaving the Big East to the ACC after they told everyone not to take that TV deal. The basketball schools were obviously ticked off, as Syracuse and Pittsburgh were backbones of the basketball conference, but they were willing to keep trying to make it work. Next thing you know, TCU says we are out, West Virginia says they are out. All of these football schools with decent basketball programs (outside of TCU) say they are going to leave, how would you react? UCONN, Cincinnati, USF, and Louisville, they were all publically whoring themselves out to whatever conference would accept them. In the meantime, they decided it would be good for the basketball conference to add SMU, UCF, Tulane, Houston, etc. to try to get to 12 football teams to get to the minimum level for the BS Football Conference Championship game that let's be honest, about zero people would care about.

By the time September and October of 2012 came around, more shoes had dropped. Notre Dame said they were leaving, Louisville followed shortly thereafter, and Rutgers peaced to the B1G. Meanwhile, UCONN and Cincy are still out there begging to be invited anywhere, and the value of the TV contract because of how crappy the overall basketball product is with bad football is basically zero compared to what it would and could have been.

If you didn't have Susan Herbst pleading nonstop for 18 months about trying to get out of the Big East, that you had Syracuse, Louisville, Notre Dame, etc. still around for basketball, there is no way the C7 would want to break off. But fact is, these football schools want to go join football conferences to go get football money, and they had no interest in the well-being of the basketball schools. Fact is, the Big East is no longer a BCS league. It wasn't going to be a BCS football conference anymore under the new playoff structure. And the fact that UCONN and Cincy likely aren't destined long for wherever they go, there wasn't much value trying to patch up a conference with them only to see it torn down because of their money grab.

No one is happy that the Big East fell apart. People would rather see Syracuse, Louisville, and Notre Dame instead of Dayton, St. Louis, and Creighton. Problem is, whether they split or not, those previously mentioned games were not happening because those schools had bailed on the conference. So instead, it became, what would you rather see, East Carolina, Tulane, SMU, UCF, or Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, etc. The C7 had to break to try to build a conference to survive off of, rather than sit with the football schools, wait for the top ones to break off (UCONN, Cincy, etc.), and then be left in a conference with those joke basketball schools.

The C7+ on most years will have the potential to be better than some football conferences, and on bad years will likely be the best mid-major conference by default. The only real competitor will be whatever hack football/basketball conference gets thrown together.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Other than the new BE, C-USA and the MAC, I don't see the C7 being better than any other football/conferences. The current A-10 is better than the C-USA and the MAC.

Let's see who the C7 adds because other than Georgetown and Marquette at the top, most of the C7 schools are holding up the bottom half of the current BE.
Last edited by Obadiah 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Obadiah wrote:Let's see who the C7 adds because other than Georgetown and Marquette at the top, most of the C7 schools are holding up the bottom half of the current BE.
And yet 2 of those 5 teams sit squarely on the bubble, with a 3rd just slightly further out (solid 3/4 seed NIT).

You'll likely end up with 3/7 in the NCAA, 2/7 in the NIT, and 2/7 not qualifying for anything.

5/7 in the postseason ... Not a terrible spread.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rambone 78 wrote:Obs, how about SH or DePaul vs. those teams. Great stuff, huh?

Think I'll pass. Now, if we could somehow get rid of a few bottom feeders in the A10....and yes I know, we've been one ourselves lately. But....

URI is going to be better than a lot of those teams in the C7 plus.

Yep, by golly.
Who is URI going to be better than?
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yes, URI is pondscum, and not worthy to breathe the same air as
the Holy Roller 7.
They can't possibly ever be better than any of those schools!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

PC ain't dancing. Stop dreaming. I doubt StJohns gets in either. Villanova will get in.

PC's RPI isn't close to good enough. If they get to the conference tourney final, then they get in. Otherwise, no chance.

Granted, they are playing well, with good defense. But they aren't UConn of a few years ago, with a superstar point guard, that came from nowhere to win it all.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:PC ain't dancing. Stop dreaming. I doubt StJohns gets in either. Villanova will get in.

PC's RPI isn't close to good enough. If they get to the conference tourney final, then they get in. Otherwise, no chance.

Granted, they are playing well, with good defense. But they aren't UConn of a few years ago, with a superstar point guard, that came from nowhere to win it all.
Who said PC is dancing?

PC isn't on the bubble.

They also aren't far out.

They are a 3/4 in the NIT right now, likely where they will bounce around and finish.

They will likely never get higher than 3 (and basically a bubble is 1 and 2), and likely never get lower than 4. They will likely stay a stone's toss away from the bubble, and never seriously in final 4 spot running. So if St. John's and Nova are in that group, PC isn't exactly far away from them. I just don't think they will catch that group either.

If they win the games they will be favored in, and lose the games they will be an underdog in, they will finish out the season 3-2 (1-1 in BET), and be a solid NIT selection. If you are in that group, you aren't exactly far from bubble consideration, you just might not be in it either.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sean, URI will be better than SH, DePaul, StJohns, and close to Villanova and your vaunted Friars.

They will be right there with X, Richmond, Dayton, StLouis, and closing in on Butler and VCU.

Call me crazy, maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but it's going to happen, and soon.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

66, I'll give you that. PC is becoming very tough at home, capable of beating any BE team there.

It's the road that will keep them from moving higher. In NY, they might pull a surprise 2nd round, all depends on who they play. Conference tourneys always seem to be won by one team that gets hot at the right time.

I don't think that PC will be that team, just not enough depth. Foul trouble will kill them at some point.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Sean, URI will be better than SH, DePaul, StJohns, and close to Villanova and your vaunted Friars.

They will be right there with X, Richmond, Dayton, StLouis, and closing in on Butler and VCU.

Call me crazy, maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but it's going to happen, and soon.
I'll give you SH and DePaul. SJU, no. "Close" is not better than.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Once more into Madame Marie's Tarot and Palm Readings.
Amazing how many people can now tell the future.
When was the last time St. John's was anything more than a
BE bottom feeder?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

StJohns might have a good class coming in next year, but so did Rutgers last year, and we saw how that turned out.

Lavin I think is a much better coach than Rice, but we'll see how good they are. Have his health issues been straightened out for now?

If he ultimately had to leave StJohns due to those issues, then I guess Cordischi would be telling us that Hurley is on the short list for them, too.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Lavin's strength is as a recruiter.
Somehow, he got the UCLA job over Lorenzo Romar and
Mark Gottfried, both on Harrick's staff, and both better coaches
than Lavin.
Lavin got fired by UCLA after a 10-19 season.
They landed the consensus No. 3 recruiting class in the nation for 2011-12.
Lavin’s class for the 2012-13 season was ranked No. 8 nationally.
Of course, Sanchez never played.
Lavin says he's fine. He looks like he actually gained some weight from his broadcast days.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's good. Yeah, Lavin's results haven't been great.

Big difference between recruiting well, and coaching well.

We've seen that Cooley can recruit. Can he coach? It seems like he might turn out all right. He's a year ahead of Hurley.

It's Hurley's turn to produce next year.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Once more into Madame Marie's Tarot and Palm Readings.
BE bottom feeder?
And yet no calling on the carpet for the Ram fan who predicts great things for URI?
Call it both ways Rod.
At least with SJU they have one of the top frosh front courts in the country. Lavin has proven he can get the players in. SJU will win more conference games than uri will win overall.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI will go 12-4 in conference next year. You heard it here first.

Well, that depends on how many teams are in the conference. Right now, that's 14, minus Temple and Charlotte.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It is very hard to look at Lavin's record for a baromter of his time at St. John's.

He took a very seasoned team in 10-11 to the NCAA Tournament, and based on some of their results that year, they overachieved.

But then he lost something like 9 players. Even the best of recruiters will have a hard time filling that many scholarships, especially once you lose 3 of the better players due to academic reasons and they end up having to prep again.

Then, he loses the best player out of that class to the NBA as a lottery pick (I think Harkless was tail end of the lottery)? I guess I sort of throw the results out from that year 1- Because he coached about 5 games 2 - Because he had something like 6 or 7 scholarship players and if I recall most of them were freshmen.

Yet in came another pretty strong recruiting class -- Obekpa, Sampson -- to go with the younger kids from last year.

Of the players averaging over 10 minutes per game ...

Seniors - 0
Juniors - 0
Sophomores - 5
Freshman - 3

I don't know what the future holds for SJU, but they will likely finish 8-10 in the BE, make the NIT, and have one of the youngest teams in major conference basketball to do it with.

If that was a gosh, Keno Davis type coach, SJU would have been dead in the water after year 1.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

seanmc94 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Once more into Madame Marie's Tarot and Palm Readings.
BE bottom feeder?
And yet no calling on the carpet for the Ram fan who predicts great things for URI?
Call it both ways Rod.
At least with SJU they have one of the top frosh front courts in the country. Lavin has proven he can get the players in. SJU will win more conference games than uri will win overall.
As I was reading this thread last night, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned this. I thought it would be GBG, but, Sean beat him to the punch.
It's a good point, too. Not all good recruiting classes result in good teams.
I like to take solace in the fact that whenever URI has had good players, we've usually had some success (except for the Pappy years).
I think with the Hurley's and the good recruits, we'll have it again.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey Sean, I'M A FAN OF URI. That's different than being a yahoo
for teams you don't know that much about, just because you think anything
in the Holy7 is soooo much better.
It's like PC people beating their chests because they were in the Big East, and ignoring their
lower tiered status.
BIG difference!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Hey Sean, I'M A FAN OF URI. That's different than being a yahoo
for teams you don't know that much about, just because you think anything
in the Holy7 is soooo much better.
It's like PC people beating their chests because they were in the Big East, and ignoring their
lower tiered status.
BIG difference!
Rod,

You are half-right.

Conference affliation is basically everything in college sports. Better affliation means more money means better access to recruits and ability to retain coaches, barring right structure at schools. It's not the end all, but it's a very important part.

The problem was that there were too many PC and Big East fans in general who looked down on all conferences and treated every conference as second-tier. Now, PC and the C7 specifically will be a strong, yet second-tier conference. While the C7 mocked the A-10 and URI for years, essentially, the C7 will be a slightly stronger version of the A-10 in their prime.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here comes the PC double team.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Here comes the PC double team.
Rod,

What is wrong with what I said?

Should we cliff note?

Conference affliation is extremely important, probably the most important. If you don't believe that, you are delusional.
Some PC fans are hypocrites. They mocked the A-10, and now are happy to be joining an extended A-10.

Wow, huge pro-PC influence there. Then again I forgot, unless we make a stupid witty pun about the C7 or spill our hatred for PC, we can't have an opinion.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, it's not you, but between this place and Golocal, I've
had enough of PC fans this week.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Sorry, it's not you, but between this place and Golocal, I've
had enough of PC fans this week.
Breathe Rod, it's only 10 months until you get another crack at us at the RC. :D

Talk about a game which you will be able to cut the tension with a butter knife.

I just hope they don't put it too close to our trip to Barclays. I think it would be a real trap game in that event. Hopefully they can schedule Brown or someone in between, then again that didn't go so well this year.

I'm gonna end up going broke between all of these events next year.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

The RC game will be the toughest ticket in town.

URI with a young, hungry squad of Hurley's guys vs. URI public Enemy #1 Big, Bad Ed Cooley(I want all games at the DDC). Hopefully, RI's favorite son will be in the Black and White. I'd love to see a Saturday 4pm game at the Ryan; preceded by a Town Hall coaches show with DH and EC at the Mews(URI's home game, their turf and host)
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PROVIDENCE - The momentum is gaining on an agreement to accelerate the breakup of the Big East Conference.

Various reports Thursday say that the so-called Catholic Seven schools, including Providence College, are nearing an agreement with the Big East on dividing millions of dollars, a separation date and control over items like the Madison Square Garden post-season contract and the Big East name itself.

No one would confirm how close an agreement is on all those issues but an announcement could come as early as Friday.

Quite simply, if the seven Catholic schools offer enough money to the existing Big East, officials are talking about a split that could happen as soon as next fall and shift ownership of the Big East name to the basketball schools. The other side, which is anchored by Connecticut, Cincinnati and South Florida and set to add new partners next fall like Memphis, Temple and Houston, would then create a new name for its conference.

According to a story in the Chicago Tribune the Catholic, or Basketball Seven, would prefer to start their new league in 2013-14. The impetus is clearly a pending TV deal with Fox Sports that could pay as much as $40 million a year, or $4 million a school in a 10-team league. Butler and Xavier - plus an unknown third school - would instantly come on and pay an exit fee from the Atlantic 10.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... icago.html
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I wonder what happens if X and Butler and ? cannot leave the A-10 next year due to contractual obligations?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Chris DiSano ‏@CDiSano44

Hearing from sources that strong indications are that C7 league will begin July 1, 2013. 10 teams w/ 10th team remaining mystery right now.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramulous wrote:I wonder what happens if X and Butler and ? cannot leave the A-10 next year due to contractual obligations?
They'll just have to pay to get out of it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The A10 is charging Butler and X $2 million each to get out.

That's chump change for the new deal with Fox. The money will come out of the TV deal.

Hopefully Creighton is the 3rd team. Looks like it will be between them and Richmond.

Marquette wants Creighton [makes geographical sense] and Georgetown wants Richmond [same].

Dayton, StLouis, and VCU are staying put. There's a chance one or two of them could join in the future, a few years from now, but for now, it's 10 teams.

Good news for the A10. Or at least better than losing 5 teams. Also, if Creighton doesn't go, the A10 may try and add them to add to their Midwest presence.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

New rumor says just 9 schools? I love that all these credible sources have different information.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... stop-there
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The sky is falling, the sky is falling..................................not

9 team league? pretty weak after all this sky is falling stuff

I can watch on TV a choice of about 100 college basketball games if I want to..............it is not near as special as it would have been 10 years ago.

It will not be long before every single URI game will be available on Iphone, Ipad, TV, you name it...........we are almost there now.

Call the league whatever...............A10 survives quite nicely
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Vomit.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

9 schools would be even better for the A10. That would leave the A10 at 11 schools. Would be nice if we could then add a school like Creighton.

They would play 16 league games, twice against each other. That leaves plenty of opportunities for them to play the top A10 schools OOC.

We already play PC, why not get X, Butler, and a couple other C7 schools to play us?

Would make for great TV and help our strength of schedule. The nice thing is, we will be one of the top A10 schools starting next year. Win-win for all.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nine teams might work out well for them- less teams to move, so it can happen quicker; conference play would involve each team playing each other twice, and there may be options to add solid out of conference games later in the season. Whatever happens, I'm still mad about the end of the Big East Tournament as it has been.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I will say, that it is quite a coup for the C7 to get the BE name.

Looks like Fox's money won that battle.

The football ex-BE is scra-oooddddd.

UConn and Cincy are crying big time right now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Big article just up on espn.com:

C7 adds 2 teams, starts next season. Notre Dame may join for one year, before joining the ACC.

Starting in 2014, the new BE is expected to add Creighton, Dayton, and StLouis, to go to 12 teams.

If so, the A10 will have 9 teams left. The league had better be looking for additions NOW and not wait another year.

The 9: URI, VCU, Richmond, LaSalle, StJoes,GW, Duquesne, StBonnies, Fordham. There goes the TV contract, if nothing is done.

Not a Murderer's Row, that's for sure. Except us, VCU. and Richmond of course.

Thank God we'll be at the top of that steaming pile, anyway. As long as Hurley's still here. That comment about joining with the best of the CAA might happen someday after all.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Did I mention VOMIT already? Cuz I just did again.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I just read the ESPN story and there's no mention of Dayton,
St. Louis or Creighton in any future league.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I just read the ESPN story and there's no mention of Dayton,
St. Louis or Creighton in any future league.
Its there Rod, second to last paragraph (unfortunately)...

While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is is.............end of the story says Dayton, Creighton and St Louis will join in 2014.
So the BE becomes a big midwest group too.
Then the A10 should abandon the Midwest entirely and focus on being a Northeast MidAtlantic Conference - grap up some CAA Schools and the like and should still be a descent conference.
Just put the whole thing to bed.
I am so sick and tired and over the Big East - it really is sickening
Butler is stupid joining an all Catholic Conference they should remain in the A10 but go ahead, don't letthe door hit youon the way out

Sources: Xavier, Butler also joining
Updated: February 28, 2013, 6:44 PM ET
By Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil | ESPN.com
The Big East's seven departing Catholic schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.
Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.
Xavier and Butler have not formally withdrawn from the Atlantic 10. To exit the A-10 with less than a year's notice would cost each school $2 million, Katz reported.
SportsNation: The new Big East
The Catholic 7 are splitting off into a new conference and taking the Big East name with them. What do you make of the move?
The Catholic 7's exit from the Big East is being expedited by Fox Sports Network. The network initially contacted the seven schools and laid the groundwork for them to leave the Big East with the promise of a lucrative media-rights deal, a source said.
Fox Sports Network is expected to announce the addition of the Catholic 7/Big East basketball league Tuesday in New York as part of the network's news conference announcing the addition of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 channels.
Fox Sports Network's deal with the Catholic 7 is expected to be worth at least $3 million annually per school, sources said.
It's unknown how much it will cost the Catholic 7 to keep the Big East name.
The departure of the Catholic 7 schools, which would officially begin their new league on July 1, also could mean Notre Dame joins the ACC this summer instead of 2014.
Sources said Notre Dame has planned on remaining in the Big East for the 2013-14 academic year as long as the Catholic 7 schools did so. However, if those schools left before then, the Fighting Irish would also look to join the ACC this summer.
If unable to join the ACC in 2013-14, the Fighting Irish would consider spending one season in the Catholic 7 league before moving to the ACC in 2014, a source said.
It's unknown if the ACC could still add Notre Dame in 2013-14. However, Louisville, which also is leaving the Big East for the ACC, must wait until 2014 because it would disrupt the ACC's football divisions and schedules, a source said. Rutgers also would not leave the Big East for the Big Ten until 2014.
ESPN.com's Andrea Adelson writes about all things Big East in the conference blog.
Last year, Notre Dame announced it was leaving the Big East to join the ACC in all sports, but football. Big East bylaws require 27 months notice before leaving, but multiple schools have negotiated an earlier exit. In the past two years, 16 schools have left or announced they were leaving the Big East.
The loss of the Catholic 7 schools also will impact the value of the media-rights deal with ESPN, a source said.
Last week, ESPN retained the Big East's media-rights deal by matching an offer from NBC Sports Network. The Big East's deal is worth $130 million for seven years, including $10 million for the 2013-14 basketball season, sources said.
However, if the Catholic 7 schools are not in the Big East in 2013-14, that $10 million amount would be reduced. The remainder of the deal -- $20 million annually from 2014-2020 -- was not dependent on the Catholic 7's membership and would not change, sources said.
The Big East's presidents still must vote and approve on the media-rights deal. The Big East's presidents and athletic directors meet Friday beginning at 11 a.m. in Atlanta.
It remains unknown which league -- the Catholic 7 or the remaining Big East schools -- would hold its basketball tournament in Madison Square Garden.
Once the Catholic 7 split is official, the new league will use a search firm to find a commissioner, a source said. The new league also expects to play 18 league games in its inaugural season.
While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.
Even though the Big East will have to change conference names this fall, the football league will still remain an automatic qualifying BCS conference in 2013 -- the last year of the BCS -- and its champion will receive a berth to one of the BCS bowls.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

This is getting more ridiculous by the minute. Whatever happens, we have to find a way to get rid of Fordham (at least). They've been an anchor since day one.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At the end of that article, they mention adding Dayton, StLouis, and Creighton to make a 13 team league. Somebody should check their addition; that makes 12, not 13. Why would they want 13?

Now what?

Rod, what you think? This is not a done deal about 2014 I know, but it's not good if it happens. I know I and a few others have been crying wolf about this, but it does look like it's going to happen.

Once this is announced, we need to ask Dan what he thinks. I really hope this doesn't influence any decision to stay or go, whenever he gets an offer from another school. Once this is announced, this very well might affect recruiting going forward.

Like I said, the A10 has to get on the ball [again if losing 5 of their best schools is going to happen] NOW, not later. Add more good programs, or join with the CAA, do SOMETHING or this league is lame duck dead. VCU won't want to stay in the A10 I would guess, and neither would we if nothing is done.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This sucks.
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Holy crap, this story keeps changing by the minute.

Now it looks like Creighton joins with X and Butler next season, to make a 10 team league, with an 18 game league schedule.

All well and good, except they are still saying Dayton and StLouis will join the season after.

The end result is still suckorama for the A10.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

a couple hours ago i was feeling good...now i have pit in my stomach.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

See ya, TV deal. Who the hell does the A10 try to bring on board, if not join with the CAA?

Got to take 7 teams, minus Fordham and maybe the Bonnies, and do what the C7 is doing, on a smaller scale. That might be the only way to drop the bottom off the league.

Otherwise, the A10 is going to resemble a slightly better version of the NEC. Especially if VCU bolts.

Sorry for the worst case scenarios, but show me something better. Please.